Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:22 am 

I'm kinda bummed Cracked hasn't existed as a magazine for several years... For some reason, I always appreciated it just for its being a cheap knock-off of MAD. I tend to root for the underdog, though...

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:42 am 

One of the administrators in this Facebook Page called Right in the Childhood posted this on Facebook and it made me wonder: When are people going to stop with this "90's Kids" crap? Most of these "90's Kids" never really had an ACTUALLY childhood in the 90's (1990-1999). And this is coming from me who was born in June 1996, and I don't even consider myself a 90's kid. Besides my memories in the late 90's, most of my childhood was in the 2000's.

Last edited by Metalfuckingrules on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:46 am 

I bought a Beastie Boys cassette the day it came out. I think I qualify.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:51 am 

Born in 1996?! Fuuuck...

I now have 51gb of music on my ipod, and I'm still only in the "N" section of my cd collection, with more cds on their way. I don't think it would have enough storage space if I was to rip all my vinyl too :lol:

My collection

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:47 am 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
When are people going to stop with this "90's Kids" crap?
When they're busy being adults.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:45 am 

For once I agree with MFR here, I see that run rampant on Facebook too. I was born in 90, but literally all but one or two of the people in my group of friends were born between late 87-89. We all grew up watching the same shows and playing the same games, in spirit, all of us are 90s kids. Basically you don't identify with the decade as your childhood when you're born in the last half/third of it because you don't have any goddamned memories. So yes, if you grew up watching Spongebob instead of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, you aren't a 90s kid and should shut your ugly trap.

The best one I ever saw was some random screencap from Rugrats with the caption "You know you're a 90s kid if you never shut the fuck up about it".
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:49 am 

I'm a 90s kid and I think that decade was bullshit. The zeroes were worse though.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:36 am 

Kids these days can't say "word" right either. And "illin" has straight up been forgotten about.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:58 am 

BastardHead wrote:
For once I agree with MFR here, I see that run rampant on Facebook too. I was born in 90, but literally all but one or two of the people in my group of friends were born between late 87-89. We all grew up watching the same shows and playing the same games, in spirit, all of us are 90s kids. Basically you don't identify with the decade as your childhood when you're born in the last half/third of it because you don't have any goddamned memories. So yes, if you grew up watching Spongebob instead of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, you aren't a 90s kid and should shut your ugly trap.

The best one I ever saw was some random screencap from Rugrats with the caption "You know you're a 90s kid if you never shut the fuck up about it".

I was born in '92. I grew up with Power Rangers and later on Spongebob.

I'm havin' a fuckin' identity crisis right now.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 am 

I just ordered Philip K. Dicks "Exegesis" in an abridged and edited version that came out last year after listening to an audio book version of his novel "Valis". Now I'm ready to get my mind blown to bits by all sorts of theological explorations.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:28 am 

The 70s had potential and could have turned out awesome, but Finland was a bit lame at the time due to certain environmental issues such as the USSR. The 80s was kinda nice, but most of the things ruining the world now were either invented or popularized during that decade, and it will be remembered as the ugliest decade EVER by people living in 2120 and onwards; also, most of the things worn by people back then will NEVER decay naturally, including the make-up. The 90s was very good for me personally, except for the facts that during that decade, I spent 15 years completely broke, and that there was grunge and endless whining all over the world. You've all seen the 00s, and that's mostly been cynical and polarizing bullshit, the world going down the toilet led by the USA, and bad taste spreading faster than AIDS and Ebola combined. This decade is probably going to suck, so I better start numbing myself with beer right now.

In the words of a famous and very wise Finn: Life is the best time a person can have.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:34 am 

The funny thing is when people tell you about ''back then...''. I'm from the 90's too but bragging about it is quite silly.

I'm more into a doom/death metal mood lately. Even though I like to try new bands, I always return to the same ones that got me into the genre; early Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and October Tide.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:53 am 

Life is a collection of sins, that is why the past seems golden. It was just a little more innocent. You can get rid of this nonsense by getting past the illusion that you, the sinner, actually exist as a separate being outside of the context of the universe. Which is quite the hard thing to do. Go for it, 90s kids.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:11 am 

Okay. I notice no one on here seems to have been in attendance when Black Label Society kicked off a cross-Canada tour at the Mile One in St. John's, Newfoundland. Well, I was. And it took just about this long to recover. Fucking amazing show. I'll do a quick summary, 'cause really, you just have to experience it. I'm not even what you'd call a big fan of BLS and it was awesome. Admittedly, it was my first real metal concert, but still.

Local band Wizards of Kaos kicked off the show with a short but satisfying set. Zakk was spotted up in the sky box closest to stage right, watching these guys. They play a similar style to BLS, particularly live. I knew these guys would be opening for BLS long before this show because I saw them play at the first annual Freeks for Change festival in Carbonear, back in August where they announced it themselves. These guys are a band I pretty much define by their live sound, actually. I own their album, and may review it, as it is truly solid stoner metal - but their live sound is so sludgy and dark, it's almost like a different band. They need to release a live album or DVD, for sure.

Up next was the more well-known Canadian mathcore act Protest the Hero. Apparently they've played Newfoundland before. I've been a fan of this band for 4 or 5 years now. Was not disappointed. They did a smart set. Rody did a lot of crowd interaction (including that thing he loves when he brings up a popular subject and gradually turns the fans against him - this show's pick was Star Trek vs. Star Wars). Bassist is fuckin' crazy. There was a mosh pit in the later half of their set. I'm the more introverted, take-it-all-in metalhead, though.

Black Label Society did a long, very well-selected set. Unfortunately I missed In This River. It was utterly impossible not to headbang to Bleed For Me, ideal song for it, especially live. So heavy. Great lights show, Zakk's mic stand is bad-ass. Band got off and he did about an 8-minute solo, wandering from middle to left to right of stage so everyone could drink it in. There were some big inflatable balls being volleyed around the front at the end.

All in all just a flat-out fun show. Not sure how many ended up attending. If I had to guess I'd say around 500, which is a lot for here/that venue. Had a lotta fun.

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 am 

They would have to pay me (and quite handsomely too) to attend a BLS show.

My collection

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:38 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
They would have to pay me (and quite handsomely too) to attend a BLS show.

I'd settle for an open bar. Four or five beers in I'd have more fun making fun of rednecks than the actual show.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:43 am 

:lol:

Plus, there are only so many pinch harmonics per riff that I can handle.

My collection

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:54 am 

So I finally received my copy of cosmosophy the other day along with the desanctification, listening to the reworked ideas I could remember from the earlier albums really made me appreciate the whole trilogy that much more. I was wondering then, and since I can no longer find the 'is there a distro that still carries this' thread, if anyone knows where I can get a copy of 777 sects on vinyl?

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:32 am 

The original Motorhead song with Lemmy in Hawkwind is so weird. It's the same basic song, but with violin and horns. Anyone who listened only to Motorhead/metal would be thrown for a loop.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:47 am 

Unmaker wrote:
So I finally received my copy of cosmosophy the other day along with the desanctification, listening to the reworked ideas I could remember from the earlier albums really made me appreciate the whole trilogy that much more. I was wondering then, and since I can no longer find the 'is there a distro that still carries this' thread, if anyone knows where I can get a copy of 777 sects on vinyl?

Reworked ideas? Care to elaborate?
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

You know from what I have heard from BLS there wasn't any.. .and that's what I wanted to hear was entire riffs of pinch harmonics... it was all just shitty bar rock.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:21 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

You know from what I have heard from BLS there wasn't any.. .and that's what I wanted to hear was entire riffs of pinch harmonics... it was all just shitty bar rock.

Speaking of which, what riff has the most pinch harmonics? Most I can think of is Necrophagist's To Breathe in a Casket lol.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:28 pm 

There's 10 Wintersun reviews in the queue, they're all mediocre and like 75% are fanboyism, god, fml. I'm gonna do something else!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:31 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
There's 10 Wintersun reviews in the queue, they're all mediocre and like 75% are fanboyism, god, fml. I'm gonna do something else!

I told you this was gonna happen!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:34 pm 

We were briefly talking about Wintersun in the chatroom, and it made me think of another band that's supposed to be super-artistic. Yet I cannot recall their name or even their genre. I thought it was power metal from Sweden, but an advanced search didn't turn up anything I recognized. I only remember one thing about the band: In the band pic, four people were standing knee-deep in water, all four having a guitar/bass, and in the background there was a fake moon or planet. Can anybody tell me what this band is? It's one of those "tip of one's tongue"-things that just drives you nutso.

-edit- Also, I'm fairly sure it started out as a solo project, then gained a full line-up later on.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:38 pm 

Lost Horizon?

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Lost Horizon?

That's what I was thinking also, maybe A Flame to the Ground Beneath?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:46 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/ReinXeed/28180

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:47 pm 

YES, FFS that's it!! Cheers Zelkiiro.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:56 pm 

Wow, I would have guessed Lost Horizon too just because I had no idea anybody considered Reinxeed to be particularly artistic. They're just a silly over the top power metal band, right?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:01 pm 

Lost Horizon don't really qualify as artistic on my book either. They do qualify as "mindfuckingly awesome" though.

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:15 pm 

Well, if Wintersun qualifies, then everything should.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:17 pm 

deathsane wrote:
Well, if Wintersun qualifies, then everything should.

That's why I have standards.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:18 pm 

I thought the 90's were awesome. I grew up on shit like Power Rangers. Kids shows were just more awesome, as opposed to just rapidly flashing by nonsense. Then the 00's came and everything good slowly died!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:46 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I thought the 90's were awesome. I grew up on shit like Power Rangers. Kids shows were just more awesome, as opposed to just rapidly flashing by nonsense. Then the 00's came and everything good slowly died!

I thought you were 15 around years old, I'm 18 and I barely remember the 90's except for bits and pieces of several good shows (Garfield and Friends, Angry Beavers, Stickin' Around, etc)...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:54 pm 

I'm almost 20 mate, so no. Almost my entire childhood was in the 90's.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:57 pm 

The 90s were a pretty good time to be a kid, I think. I was in first grade when Pokemon started getting big, and that's pretty much my childhood. I remember the first time I got a gameboy, I played Pokemon for four hours a day for a year. And then the whole Yu-Gi-Oh! and Bleybade thing got big, but they were pretty stupid looking back (in comparison to other kid things). Does anyone else remember that Godzilla cartoon they used to play on TV about a decade ago? That was the shit.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:11 pm 

Pokemon was the reason I had more than one friend in third grade (when it really exploded around 98). I never got into Yu-Gi-Oh because my friends were super into it and pushed it on me like it was heroin. I just got turned off before I ever gave it a chance. But then again, that was early 00s when that was a thing.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:26 pm 

Yeah, I remember way cooler things in 2001-2002 than anything from the 90's. Digimon for example, that was something that really caught my attention as a kid. Damn did I love that.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:33 pm 

I got kicked out of a Pokemon tournament for item hacking and using misingno. Pokemon was, and is the shit, I seriously wish they would make an RPG for it.
colin040 wrote:
Posermon

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrd

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652 ... 827  Next