Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:12 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but if you feel compelled to put review in quotes maybe you shouldn't submit it?

If you do though I can't really see people white knighting for Lacuna Coil.

All will be made clear. It's destined to piss off both haters and fans of Lacuna Coil. It's that dangerous. And yes, "review"s was meaningfully put into quotes, because technically, it's not one. Pretentious, isn't it? Dark Adrenaline forced me to be what I'm not.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 pm 

I've read that review before describing every album that also has a "Hitler reacts to ___" video on YouTube.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I've read that review before describing every album that also has a "Hitler reacts to ___" video on YouTube.

You probably love the album, don't you, Zodijackyl? ;)

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

So, I was lurking through the forums, and gave a look to the first couple of pages from "The Official Metal-Archives Newbie Introduction Thread" (Why not?) And had a great time, do it if you have the chance. The usernames, the custom titles and the discussions are really entertaining :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

You probably love the album, don't you, Zodijackyl? ;)

I reviewed the single before the album came out: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/L ... ss/318683/

...but yes, I did rate it higher than you did.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 pm 

The old guard of posters.. Back when this place had some class.

My Ebay Store

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 pm 

You can always leave if you don't like it, you know. Nobody is forcing you to post.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:

M-A still has class! Not thanks to people like me but, oh well...

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
You can always leave if you don't like it, you know. Nobody is forcing you to post.

LOL it was a joke.

But I have to admit, MA has changed alot since I first started coming here about eight or so years ago.. Not necessarily for bad or for good, but it has changed.

My Ebay Store

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm 

Its interesting to go through an old thread like that and see users with post counts that high who left years before I even joined. it feels like an alternate MA dimension :lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm 

There's changes everywhere and we have to accept it. I'm part of the change since I'm a new mod, I guess. ACCEPT ME! :)

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:44 pm 

I think you are one of the best mods on here. There are a few I'd like to throw stones at.

Speaking of MA authority, I wish Onerodetoasabay would come back.

My Ebay Store

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm 

You have successfully integrated yourself into the cult of personality here it seems :wink:

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm 

Agreed. You're actually approachable, will talk things through, and will give legitimate thoughts and warnings.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Its interesting to go through an old thread like that and see users with post counts that high who left years before I even joined. it feels like an alternate MA dimension :lol:

I thought the same thing! :lol:

Metantoine wrote:
ACCEPT ME!

You're a great mod, Prince of the Black Sun.

Nap is still my favorite though :-P

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 pm 

What ever happened to those guys anyway? So many unfamiliar names.

americanholocaust wrote:
Speaking of MA authority, I wish Onerodetoasabay would come back.

When did she leave? I thought I saw her post here months ago. Maybe it was an old thread.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 pm 

I've been here since '07 roughly, lurking or posting under a different user name rather consistently. It has changed, but it's to be expected with a site that's been around as long as this one. I wish that database error or whatever it was that happened in '08 (I think) that erased a ton of posts from the board's history didn't occur. Wonder how newer posters like Xlxlx would deal with people posting pictures of a literal skull fucking and what not. On that note, if the site is still around in 10 years, will such posters come back lamenting the long passed days of '12 with autothrall being regarded as the new UltraBoris and post overly long columns disguised as reviews complaining about how time has passed them by?

EDIT: By the way, OneRodeToAsaBay's last post was only six days ago, mates. Give it a bit more time before you start pondering if she's vanished into the night permanently.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:53 pm 

Thanks for that, american and the others.

Ortab is not gone...She's just not posting much. She's quite busy. PhantomOTO is away though, one of the reasons I became a full forum mod.

Nap is the best of course, I can only be his padawan.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 pm 

Was the MA usership ever really that static? I haven't been here all that long, realistically, but I would've figured a circulating user base would've been a natural thing from the beginning. Whenever I hear people talking about all the new, strange users and "where have all the best of us gone?" and whatnot it makes me think of some old senile person shuffling through old ledgers and greeting cards, weeping softly. Hasn't there always been a continuous influx of new people and efflux of old, even if it was on a smaller scale toward the beginning?

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:02 pm 

The site has grown over the years (obviously). If you ask any of the longer residents, the community was much smaller in the early days and has only grown since then. I see a lot of users with '10 and '11 as their registration date and not much before that.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Was the MA usership ever really that static? I haven't been here all that long, realistically, but I would've figured a circulating user base would've been a natural thing from the beginning. Whenever I hear people talking about all the new, strange users and "where have all the best of us gone?" and whatnot it makes me think of some old senile person shuffling through old ledgers and greeting cards, weeping softly. Hasn't there always been a continuous influx of new people and efflux of old, even if it was on a smaller scale toward the beginning?

I picture it to be more like a police department, or an army unit. It's static, but newcomers slowly replace the old guard. Then, once most of them are left, the newcomers are now the old-timers. There's always a nostaliga about members who left. It's a link to the past. People like links to the past, I do. One thing I dislike though, is explaining obvious things. For some reason I did so anyway.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 pm 

MA was certainly in a heavy transitional period when I joined up. When I first showed up, there was a small pool of reviewers picking up the pieces after UltraBoris was overthrown and went into voluntary exile. It was a time when there was drama that ran rampant from outside of the nucleus of core members, and the mod list was a fraction of what it is now. The main roster still exists - Napero, Morrigan, PhantomOTO, and Nightgaunt - while others like ogmetal made their return and failsafeman was commissioned from the ranks. The mods could count on privileged enforcers like christkiller and started to round up bystanders that caught wind of the neo-MA fervor. Young guns like myself and Empyreal got more involved.

2007 was certainly the year that began to show MA's current state: drama, picture threads, trolling to the point of mass bannings. This certainly went on before then, but to have been there when it happens and to have seen peers and myself a victim, that's why I even single it out. I was 17, in a relationship, and wanted to fit in, like you guys forming your drama groups. Before you, there were the gangs of 2010, and before them the trolls of 2009. Even further back the Supreme Aussie Death Crew + gomorro as an honorary member, and their own secluded paradise within MA's realm. More tolerance than now, for sure. The pieces needed to be reforged after the wake of the Butterfly Sisters - MikeyC and me being the last full-timers of those dark days... and I'm just going back as far as I was involved.

Picture threads, a guy fucking a skull, "grains in her face", shitting on stupid reviewers, yucking it up, and waiting in anticipation on the next Morbid Angel album. Lovely.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:58 pm 

So, I heard that you guys like Demolition Hammer? Good, good. If you like Demolition Hammer, you may also like Ritual Sacrifice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNXHDDvxZYw
You can thank me later.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:59 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:

I lack any shape, form, or presence of class. And am damn proud of it!

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:00 am 

Okay, I've GOT to know what's up with the "guy fucking a skull" thing that's being mentioned. What the hell was that? Who posted that, and what happened?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:08 am 

It's from this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9Qts2pvXYU

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 am 

That was...wow. Just wow.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 am 

I've been hear for about six years now, but at the same time my involvement with inside jokes and stuff like that has been at a minimum. For instance, I had no idea about that "guy fucking a skull" until now.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
MA was certainly in a heavy transitional period when I joined up. When I first showed up, there was a small pool of reviewers picking up the pieces after UltraBoris was overthrown and went into voluntary exile. It was a time when there was drama that ran rampant from outside of the nucleus of core members, and the mod list was a fraction of what it is now. The main roster still exists - Napero, Morrigan, PhantomOTO, and Nightgaunt - while others like ogmetal made their return and failsafeman was commissioned from the ranks. The mods could count on privileged enforcers like christkiller and started to round up bystanders that caught wind of the neo-MA fervor. Young guns like myself and Empyreal got more involved.

2007 was certainly the year that began to show MA's current state: drama, picture threads, trolling to the point of mass bannings. This certainly went on before then, but to have been there when it happens and to have seen peers and myself a victim, that's why I even single it out. I was 17, in a relationship, and wanted to fit in, like you guys forming your drama groups. Before you, there were the gangs of 2010, and before them the trolls of 2009. Even further back the Supreme Aussie Death Crew + gomorro as an honorary member, and their own secluded paradise within MA's realm. More tolerance than now, for sure. The pieces needed to be reforged after the wake of the Butterfly Sisters - MikeyC and me being the last full-timers of those dark days... and I'm just going back as far as I was involved.

Picture threads, a guy fucking a skull, "grains in her face", shitting on stupid reviewers, yucking it up, and waiting in anticipation on the next Morbid Angel album. Lovely.

What did UltraBoris do anyway?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:23 am 

Reminds me of the thread from 4chan where someone stole a skull from a famous ossuary and fucked it (with crystal-clear photos, of course).

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Reminds me of the thread from 4chan where someone stole a skull from a famous ossuary and fucked it (with crystal-clear photos, of course).

Quite the same, indeed. I still remember the thread as it happened - live as hell. It was just after I got home that the thread was started.

The infamous MA Paris catacombs thread, and yes there were pictures. The 4chan link was there, too, and I can't remember how they were related but let's just say the thread became massive (on MA alone).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:47 am 

Hahaha you dumbasses, of course the threads were similar, it was the same guy posting both of them.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:51 am 

Can someone please explain what the whole Butterfly Sisters thing is.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:52 am 

As much as I hate 4chan, I will admit that back in the day /b/ was the place to see some seriously decrepit shit. Now it's nothing but furry porn, pony faggotry, and other nonsensical cancer.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:53 am 

/b/ is the imageboard equivalent of a sellout band.
Hehe, foreskins.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:53 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Can someone please explain what the whole Butterfly Sisters thing is.

Buncha post-whoring dudes were given Butterfly Sisters titles which included the name of a certain flower (each was unique in that regard) as a final warning, to either change forum behavior and posts or risk being banned.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:56 am 

What was the names of the flowers? I'm curious!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 am 

iAm wrote:
As much as I hate 4chan, I will admit that back in the day /b/ was the place to see some seriously decrepit shit. Now it's nothing but furry porn, pony faggotry, and other nonsensical cancer.

Uuuuuu, ~seriously decrepit shit~

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:03 am 

Metantoine wrote:
What was the names of the flowers? I'm curious!

MikeyC - Honeysuckle
vondskapens_makt - Saffron
Avestriel - Petunia
Pathological_Frolic - Rosemary
Emperor_Of_Ice - Marjorum
OzzyApu - Periwinkle

...and I think the Nappy-dugout himself was Mother Basil.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 am 

haha, these are golden! You should get a new one, Ozzy :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 827  Next