Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 am 

^ Really one of my favorite viking metal albums. Epic as fuck. Can't see me getting tired of it.

In other news, it's snowing again. Fourth time this winter without it melting immediately. We had snow for almost two weeks in a row now. :hyper:
Rather surprising when compared to previous years.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:17 pm 

Uh huh, Windir were really an epic band. I have heard only 1184 though and it's been years since I revisited their stuff. Starmere's post gives me the impetus to check them out again :)

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:03 pm 

Dolphin seeks help from divers

http://www.youtube.com/v/wL9I4BxuryY

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:16 pm 

The locked thread icon instantly grabs my attention.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:55 pm 

Things that drive me insane: people who still don't understand that "triggered drums" aren't the same as "programmed drums". Really, I thought this weird misappropriation was weeded out like four years ago.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:02 pm 

So here's a pretty ridiculous pick up line I heard my roommate use the other day. He's a rugby player and is pretty big and hairy. We were at this really crowded party the other day and he went up to a chick and said "Hey, have you ever pet a bear before?", needless to say it didn't go over to well.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:04 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Things that drive me insane: people who still don't understand that "triggered drums" aren't the same as "programmed drums". Really, I thought this weird misappropriation was weeded out like four years ago.

Back when I was still trying to decide if I should buy a regular drumkit or a electric drumkit, some guy insisted that I bought a regular one because using a electric drumkit was somehow cheating...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 pm 

O_O

Henk, triggered drums have to do with the pedals being triggered which makes it sound different...it's not an entire 'electric' kit per se. I'm sure Subrick can elaborate extensively on this.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:35 pm 

Lol, I know that. I was just talking about something absolutely horribly horrifically wrong.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
So here's a pretty ridiculous pick up line I heard my roommate use the other day. He's a rugby player and is pretty big and hairy. We were at this really crowded party the other day and he went up to a chick and said "Hey, have you ever pet a bear before?", needless to say it didn't go over to well.

The only pick up line I've ever used that's actually worked is "wanna fuck?" I shit you not.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:33 pm 

Here's a pickup line. Text a girl saying "Do you wanna bang?" Then quickly send her another one saying "Oh sorry I meant hang!" Then, wait and hope she says yes. This worked for me, but the deed never happened due to schedule issues.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 pm 

shouvince wrote:
O_O

Henk, triggered drums have to do with the pedals being triggered which makes it sound different...it's not an entire 'electric' kit per se. I'm sure Subrick can elaborate extensively on this.

Doesn't have to be just the pedals, although I guess bass drum triggers are the most common. The triggers are connected to a sampler, so what you hear are the sound of samples and not the actual drum hits...

Definitely not the same as programmed drums, but generally I would prefer that bands avoid using them. For some types of extreme music today though, it's pretty much unavoidable.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:09 pm 

Separation of church and state is alive and well.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:17 pm 

That proposed oath is almost word-for-word the oath you say upon swearing in to the military, and even then they stressed to us that the "so help me God" line was totally optional and we could stay silent at that point if we wished. Basically this is one of those crazy fringe bills that stands no chance of passing because everybody's first reaction is to mercilessly mock it but people will point to anyway as an example of why their particular beliefs are in jeopardy of being taken over by the insane (see: anti-gun control people finding reports that one doctor in England proposed banning certain knives (and was quickly mocked and shot down by lawmakers) that they'll post on Facebook and say SEE THIS IS THE SHIT THAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU START TAKING AWAY GUNS).

All in all worthless shit.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:41 pm 

caspian is alive? Nice. How was Russia?

I swear, I haven't tried on the turquoise knickers your wife left in our sauna. No sir! That would be perverted...

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:10 pm 

The metal discussion hit 500,000 posts. That's pretty sick.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

Does petting bears ever go over well? :|

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 pm 

Quote:
Definitely not the same as programmed drums, but generally I would prefer that bands avoid using them. For some types of extreme music today though, it's pretty much unavoidable.

+1/liked/cosigned/whatever.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 pm 

Listening to Danzig's How the Gods Kill right now. Man, I had forgotten how awesome this album was! Rocking, bluesy, dark goodness with the man himself crooning and wailing like a madman. Anyone else here who happens to be into early Danzig?

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 pm 

So, after biting my tongue every now and then when I listen to some Doom for missing them at the 2011(?) MDF (went to see Nuclear Assault instead, which was pretty killer), they announced their very first Canadian tour for this spring. If I don't come back alive from the show, glad to have ''known'' you all.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:24 am 

I feel like someone scooped out my insides with a melon baler today. I didn't drink (relatively) that much last night, but I ended up puking and feel like death all day. I swear, my tolerance was at an inhuman level, but last night...sheesh. I think I only had around 10, 11 drinks and I can’t even remember how I got home. Shit, last Wednesday I had 14ish shots of tequila and was just barely buzzed. I think my body hates me.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:37 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:

Haha, it always makes me think of a moderator giving the middle finger to the parties responsible for the lock.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 am 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
So, after biting my tongue every now and then when I listen to some Doom for missing them at the 2011(?) MDF (went to see Nuclear Assault instead, which was pretty killer), they announced their very first Canadian tour for this spring. If I don't come back alive from the show, glad to have ''known'' you all.

Yeah I missed them too because Hail of Bullets were playing at the exact same time as them, and who knows if or when they'll be back in the states. Then again, Doom may not come back to the states anytime soon... should've done half and half but oh well, Hail of Bullets crushed live.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:03 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
ralfikk123 wrote:

Haha, it always makes me think of a moderator giving the middle finger to the parties responsible for the lock.

It is supposed to mean that...or to the OP for starting something stupid/irrelevant/etc.

My vision is a bit blurred. Don't know why. Fuck, I hope it's not my eye power returning :ugh:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:04 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Listening to Danzig's How the Gods Kill right now. Man, I had forgotten how awesome this album was! Rocking, bluesy, dark goodness with the man himself crooning and wailing like a madman. Anyone else here who happens to be into early Danzig?

I love me some early Danzig, first four albums are all class and get regular spins from me. The only really bad track I guess is Bodies. Man that track sucks hard.

So Australia Day is over, but the hangover surely isn't, luckily it's not 40+ degrees today, that would be murder, instead we have some nice soothing rain. Still looks like being a two day recovery though...

My collection

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:06 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

I love his debut, but then the second one just never clicks with me at all. I didn't check out anything after that because of this...I should though, I hear there are some really good albums.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 am 

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/0 ... o-1-water/

Only a cynical person would get the idea that those "permissible levels" could be reached by diluting the shit with seawater of course. Oh no wait

Quote:
But as the new facility is not capable of removing radioactive tritium, an official said Tepco will consider diluting the processed water before releasing it to the sea.

o_O

Empyreal wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

I love his debut, but then the second one just never clicks with me at all. I didn't check out anything after that because of this...I should though, I hear there are some really good albums.

Odd, I think I like Lucifuge best. It just feels more wholesome and maybe less cheesy too (can't really explain why).

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo

This proves that an artist in certain genres do not need ANY talent, at least when it comes to singing.

inhumanist, that's not the first time that method gets applied. In waste management, it's important to set the limits on the total amount released to nature, not on concentrations. On the other hand, tritium is a valuable element, so they are essentially adding gravel to the mountain of waste to get the annoying fractions of gold and platinum to a tolerable level.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 am 

The band have no name; only a solid bar used instead. On sites limited to ASCII input, the band have also gone by "nic" (Czech for "nothing/null/none"). For sanity's sake, this band may be referenced on Metallum by searching for "Black Strip".

Black Strip? How about Scotch.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:58 am 

:nazi: has* :nazi:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 am 

Is it the new kvlt thing to have an anonymous Black Metal band now? That's the second one I've heard with no name to speak of.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:09 am 

iAm wrote:
Is it the new kvlt thing to have an anonymous Black Metal band now?

How do name Black Metal band? ¯\(°_o)/¯

By the way, Blut aus Nord likes this page.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:01 am 

iAm wrote:
Is it the new kvlt thing to have an anonymous Black Metal band now? That's the second one I've heard with no name to speak of.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%DB%9E/3540355748
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E2 ... 3540358943
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/-_-_-/3540353044
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/.../3540257897

and this one:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%28 ... 3540352418

Isn't there also one with slashes and backslashes?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:03 am 

Napero wrote:

This proves that an artist in certain genres do not need ANY talent, at least when it comes to singing.

If someone billed themselves as a vocalist and performed like that, they wouldn't get anywhere. This only gets a pass because it's not singing; it's manipulated pieces of speech.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 am 

Napero wrote:

I really dug this.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:38 am 

Autotunage has led to talentless people rake in shitloads of money for themselves.

Anyway, I've seen that mashup of Hicks and Carlin before and it's quite awesome!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
iAm wrote:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%DB%9E/3540355748
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%E2 ... 3540358943
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/-_-_-/3540353044
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/.../3540257897

and this one:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%28 ... 3540352418

Isn't there also one with slashes and backslashes?

Arguably, I don't consider ۞, - - -, or ... to be nameless. There also was that one band on the Rhinocervs label or whatever that were fairly popular last year who literally did not have anything for their name and all song titles were "untitled." I just had an idea, who want's to start a John Cage Black Metal tribute band without a name?

So kvlt. :panda:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 am 

Excuse my computer illiterateness here but I just got my wife's old lap top and I want to put all the music from my ipod onto it and I can't for the life of me figure out how. Is there a way to download everything from my ipod into itunes?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 am 

iPods have a retarded way of archiving music files to force people to use iTunes. When I had one way back I used foobar2000 and this plugin: http://yuo.be/ipod.php

There are other alternatives, like this Winamp plugin or standalone programs like this and this and this.

Last edited by inhumanist on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:35 am 

What kind of Ipod do you have? If it's a Ipod classic you only have to check the box "show hidden maps". You should be able to locate the music folder on the Ipod classic. I don't know how it works with other kind of ipods though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780 ... 827  Next