Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 pm 

Holy Terror rules. Mind Wars is great and "No Resurrection" is one of the greatest thrash songs ever, right up there with "Die in Pain" by Rigor Mortis and "Narcotic" by Deathrow for me.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm 

So there was another shooting at a school today in Houston, Texas. Actually it was just two guys shooting at each other and they probably didn't even realize they were at a school. But, things being the way they are the media is just going to swallow this one whole.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 pm 

I have Holy Terror on a regular rotation here and recently bought both vinyl reissues. HT are just one of those bands that will not get old for me. I always held hope for a reunion tour or something, but with the death of Keith Deen recently, even if it were to happen, it would never be the same.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 pm 

I just picked up a copy of Mind Wars on cassette - $7 shipped for a new, sealed copy through someone selling on Amazon, who still has some copies left.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm 

In a record store wondering whether to buy horrorscope or the electric age. Somebody choose for me.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
In a record store wondering whether to buy horrorscope or the electric age. Somebody choose for me.

No.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thashierthanthou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 pm 

Horrorscope it is then, good choice!

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:

Isn't Overkill your favorite band or something? I'm surprised you didn't already have those. You made the wrong choice by the way, Horrorscope is boring as shit. :boring:

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I just picked up a copy of Mind Wars on cassette - $7 shipped for a new, sealed copy through someone selling on Amazon, who still has some copies left.

I've been getting into this band and might scoop up a copy. Thanks!

Thashierthanthou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Thashierthanthou wrote:

Isn't Overkill your favorite band or something? I'm surprised you didn't already have those. You made the wrong choice by the way, Horrorscope is boring as shit. :boring:

I didn't have any money to buy music until like a month ago; just used youtube for my music needs. And yes, Overkill is very dear to my heart, and I'll be seeing them for the third time in less than two weeks!!! :hyper:

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 pm 

Just found out tonight that Rush are coming back to Nova Scotia this summer for the first time in 2 decades :hyper: ... I then proceeded to go full on retard in the middle of the store I work at with a bunch of people watching... yay?
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 am 

Electric Age is better than Horrorscope, but once you get over the latter's shift in style from the previous four, it's a very solid album that stands on its own. I'm not all that certain why it's seen as better than the 2000 albums (Bloodletting and ReliXIV in particular), but it's got its place among that tier of Overkill's discography.

The Electric Age, meanwhile, is fucking awesome and you should go back to get that one as soon as you can.

In other news, I received my copy of Watchtower's Control and Resistance today! It's a shame it's the only album they did with that lineup. It's not that Energetic Disassembly is bad... but the production certainly is, and Ron Jarzombek added so much to the band, his presence was definitely missed on that one. C&R straight up is an ass-kicking, and definitely needs a proper reissue.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 am 

Control and Resistance is a tech thrash masterpiece and one of the first metal records I ever loved. Yes, I was a bizarre 10-year-old. :lol:

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:15 am 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Just found out tonight that Rush are coming back to Nova Scotia this summer for the first time in 2 decades :hyper: ... I then proceeded to go full on retard in the middle of the store I work at with a bunch of people watching... yay?

So you were shopping in the store, somehow find out about Rush returning to Nova Scotia, and then proceeded to act like Doofy from Scary Movie and go poopy in your pants?

You went full retard, man! Never go full retard!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 am 

Well this is cool. I bought Coffin Texts' debut and the record label responsible for the re-release (I assume), Deathgasm Records, threw in a free compilation CD containing a song mix of bands on their label. All black/death. It's really cool of them.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 am 

Damn. Wrote a review for Discordance Axis' The Inalienable Dreamless for a little over two hours and lost all my progress by some freak accident. Serves me right for not saving my progress.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 am 

I wonder why MA doesn't recognize slam as a sub-genre. Even Cephalotripsy is tagged as brutal death metal.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:02 am 

Because it's a genre made up of a single element of brutal death metal, technically it's simply using a BDM technique more extensively, although I myself would say that slam is worthy of it's own genre tag.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 am 

Y'all crazy, Horrorscope is way better then Overkills new stuff. The first 5 Overkill albums are the only essential ones really.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:21 am 

Going to see Venenum and Obscure Infinity 2nd February. I hope Venenum got some new songs or something. They can't just be playing half an hour, there are only four bands.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 am 

I should hope so, hasn't it been a year and a half or so since their EP was released?

Thanks for the Obscure Infinity mention, checking them out now... Putrefying Illusions sounds promising so far, great artwork too. :thumbsup:

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
IX Leviathan wrote:

So you were shopping in the store, somehow find out about Rush returning to Nova Scotia, and then proceeded to act like Doofy from Scary Movie and go poopy in your pants?

You went full retard, man! Never go full retard!

I was actually working at the time haha, I don't know if that makes it any better or worse.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 am 

Anyone know any good Europe (preferably UK) online stores that sell lots of grindcore? Seems they're mostly in the US, which sucks on the postage front. From one I was looking at it was $12 to ship a $5 record.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23 am 

Last minute visit to Wisconsin to visit a friend, she has both school and work, so I'm sitting here in an empty apartment with no food (just a lot of beer) in an area completely foreign to me for the next twelve hours before she gets home. Good planning, dummy.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Because it's a genre made up of a single element of brutal death metal, technically it's simply using a BDM technique more extensively, although I myself would say that slam is worthy of it's own genre tag.

I agree with what you said. Slam is more like a technique if you can call it so. But creating another genre would lead to confusion coz if a straight-up BDM band or any band for instance, experiments with that element, then it's gonna be a mess. Imagine genre-nazis going all apeshit on this issue. We already have enough genres, don't you think so?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:56 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Anyone know any good Europe (preferably UK) online stores that sell lots of grindcore? Seems they're mostly in the US, which sucks on the postage front. From one I was looking at it was $12 to ship a $5 record.

In the UK:

Tombs in the Valley - http://tombsinthevalley.bigcartel.com/
Grindfather - http://www.grindfatherprod.com/

Some others in Europe:

Addictied to War (France) - http://addictiontowarrecords.blogspot.c ... 20%2F%20LP
Crucificados (Germany) - http://www.crucificados.de
Bones Brigade (France) - http://grindshop.bonesbrigaderecords.com/
Witch Bukkake (France) - http://witchbukkakerecords.blogspot.com/
Dropout (Poland) - http://dropoutrecords.org/eng/news
Psychocontrol (Czech) - http://psychocontrol.com/
RSR Records (Germany)
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 am 

shouvince wrote:

if a straight-up BDM band or any band for instance, experiments with that element, then it's gonna be a mess. I

it's not like straight-up BDM is devoid of slams

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:48 am 

Marag wrote:
shouvince wrote:

if a straight-up BDM band or any band for instance, experiments with that element, then it's gonna be a mess. I

it's not like straight-up BDM is devoid of slams

Yeah, it's a thin fine line.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 am 

Who else just looks at this album cover and thinks to their self, holy crap, that is one of the coolest pieces of art I have ever seen on the cover of any music. I'd like at least ONE thing to compare this awesome old school death metal cover to, besides other metal album covers. Did Carnage really get an artists to paint that album cover for their album? That's sick.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Spoiler: show

Who else just looks at this album cover and thinks to their self, holy crap, that is one of the coolest pieces of art I have ever seen on the cover of any music. I'd like at least ONE thing to compare this awesome old school death metal cover to, besides other metal album covers. Did Carnage really get an artists to paint that album cover for their album? That's sick.

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/D ... rave/14088

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm 

With reference to Morrigan's thread on un-original bands, there are 19 Carnages on the archives! Took me a while to find the reaaaal Carnage, so decided to search by album name.

But damn, that album cover sure got my attention!

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Spoiler: show

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/D ... rave/14088

You gotta be shitting me! I had no idea there was an artist page on this website. Thanks!

I guess that explains all those fantastic album covers I always admired from those bands he made them for. I mean holy crap. He's made album covers for so many sweet bands.

I can't seem to find the artist page for any other artist. It seems hidden.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:26 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

You gotta be shitting me! I had no idea there was an artist page on this website. Thanks!

I guess that explains all those fantastic album covers I always admired from those bands he made them for. I mean holy crap. He's made album covers for so many sweet bands.

I can't seem to find the artist page for any other artist. It seems hidden.

On the main page, on the search field, scroll down to artist. You can primarily search for musicians, but you can also do this for misc. staff. Or otherwise, go to an album's page with art you like, go to lineup, then misc. staff, then click on the name of the guy who did the cover art.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:38 pm 

Thanks!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:

I agree, but then the site considers raw black metal as a genre. A lot of the bands in that genre are just using a technique found in black metal (simplistic power chords tremolo picking) and simply applying more lo-fi production. Then there are bands like Epicardiectomy and Cephalotripsy that are just pure slam and can hardly be considered brutal death metal. I don't know, just food for thought.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 pm 

I got roughly one hour of sleep last night since I forgot to pack shorts, and I physically can't fall asleep in jeans (and I figured it'd be rude to wear less in somebody else's living room), so I found a Walmart around here to remedy the issue. Important side note, it's snowing fairly heavily outside. So I walk in, find the cheapest pair of athletic shorts I could find and take them to the checkout. The older lady behind the counter kind of chuckles and says "Really? Shorts?". I lean in a little closer to her, look her in the eyes, stonefaced, no smirk or hint of humor, and flatly say "I live on the fucking edge". Not another word was exchanged between us.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm 

You're such a tool.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm 

I amuse myself.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:50 pm 

Haha. BH, you're a class act.

In other news, I have an inferiority complex and I feel my life is meaningless after watching this compilation video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6XUVjK9W4o

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm 

meh, I can do all of that. I just choose not to.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774, 775 ... 827  Next