Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:26 am 

I'm pretty new to it, but I was wondering how many metalheads played, as I think of it as a very geeky, but very metal game.

Anyways I'm Chaos Daemons, Skulls for the Skull Throne! My ideal music for the game would probably be some kind of Folk metal

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:29 am 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
My ideal music for the game would probably be some kind of Folk metal

:scratch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rvFA5yS ... re=related

PlayMp1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:54 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
ClaymanOnFire wrote:

Yep, Bolt Thrower is definitely seconded for Warhammer 40,000 related metal. Look at the damn album cover, that's a pile of Astartes with their bolters fighting off some xenos or heretics.

I don't play the tabletop (don't have the money or time), but I do read the fluff and play the Dawn of War series. I'll be getting Space Marine when it comes out this fall, for sure.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:12 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
ClaymanOnFire wrote:

That's the exact same band and song I had in mind when reading the OP, the last thing I think of in regards to Warhammer 40k is folk metal. I myself played Black Templars in the tabletop game way back, but yeah it's pretty much way too expensive. Love me some Dawn of War though!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:20 am 

lol I can't help it, I'm a Melodic metal junkie. As far as money goes, the only reason I was able to get them was a combo of a belated Christmas present combined with my birthday. As far as the time issue goes, I have yet to finish painting my army and I've had them for a looooong time...lol

PlayMp1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:43 am 

Considering that Warhammer 40,000 is basically the most metal universe in fiction, it only makes sense that there'd be a metal album about it. Or two.

I fully expect hymns to the Emperor to actually be classic old-school death metal songs that have morphed over time into religious objects detailing the many ways that the Emperor will torture his enemies. Likewise, rituals of the Chaos Gods are definitely black metal or death metal songs that have also morphed over tens of thousands of years into summoning rituals for actual daemons and such.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:39 am 

I play lots - I have a pretty big Dark Angels army, Word Bearers CSM, Codex SM's, some nids and I'm working on a Death Korps of Krieg IG army.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:48 am 

Used to play it a lot, still do sometimes, but it's just far too fucking expensive now. Can't possibly pay for it.

Still really enjoy the absolutely badass setting. Metal as fuck.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:40 am 

I used to play the one on the PSP. It was a fun pseudo-RTS game. Haven't finished it yet though. I should probably play it again sometime.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:49 am 

If I had a decent job and a lot of disposable income, I'd take it up, but as it is, I simply can't afford their ridiculously priced plastic models (I remember when the dreadnoughts used to cost 30 quid... then they brought out a plastic one for close to the same price).
On a side not, the artwork you used to see in White Dwarf was incredible.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 am 

Love me some 40k. I started with it when I was about 10 (I'm 18 now) and have built quite a few armies since then. I have a fully painted/based/decaled Raven Guard army that I'm pretty proud of. I don't really play anymore, but when I have the time I still love to paint them. Anyone else here entered Golden Demon? I've gotten honorable mentions 3 times but I've never won anything.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 am 

Necroghast wrote:
Anyone else here entered Golden Demon? I've gotten honorable mentions 3 times but I've never won anything.

Post pics! It'd be rad to see some of the work the tabletop warriors on the boards have done.

When I was about 12 or 13 I started building an Eldar army, which I had a lot of fun doing. I'd sit and paint while listening to Bolt Thrower, whom I'd got into purely through seeing the cover of the Realm of Chaos tape in the record store (keep in mind this was back in about '93, when one still saw such things for sale :D.... man, I kind of miss those days). I'd built up a fair number of squads and command units when I started thinking about this undertaking realistically, at which point I realized it would take far too much time, money, and energy to actually make playing this game a reality for it to ever be worth it. Which was kind of a shitty epiphany, but eh...it was fun while it lasted.

I used to subscribe to White Dwarf, too, and loved the hell out of reading them, even though I couldn't play the game myself. It was awesome to pore over the incredibly painted units that crammed those pages, read the nicely written battle reports, hell, even the Warhammer fiction they included in it was pretty damn fun to take in. I suppose I loved the fact that so much artistic talent and energy had gone into making this fantasy world palpable and interactive...it wasn't just something you imagined, but rather something you could actually take part in. There was a crazy fascination that I had for that special fusion of game and art that I really deeply wanted to be able to have in my life; the whole concept was just fucking incredible to me. Sadly, I had to spend my time on more 'worthwhile' things such as middle school. :lol:

Fuck that. Life is so unfair.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 am 

Right then, pictures.
This is the most recent thing I've done. Not the best pictures, but whatever.

I entered this one into Golden Demon with a different base:

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:32 am 

I've played it for like 12 years or so, my 40k army is no longer viable but I have a huge Fantasy army just waiting to be painted. As far as all the music in the universe being thousands-year old descendants of metal songs that's just retarded. The universe is metal enough without childish projections like that. I would love to contribute to a miniature painting thread, if that's what this turns into, it's far more interesting to see models people have done as opposed to giving excuses why they never got into it. So if you guys start posting pics of models or links to pics of models I will respond in kind.

Edit: that Ring Wraith is amazing Necroghast! Great base and the cloak is very well highlighted, I like it. Which Golden Demon did you enter?

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:20 pm 

My workbench at the moment:

Cabinet of curiosities:

Various derp angels:

Will take some more pics tomorrow when the sun is out.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:54 pm 

Cool armies you've got going there. I'll take a picture of my Raven Guard army and post it when I get the chance.

Anyone post on http://www.coolminiornot.com/ ? I've been posting there for about 4 years under the same username. It's a great site for all kinds of miniature painting stuff.

In terms of Golden Demon, I've only ever entered the one in Baltimore.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:32 pm 

Cool never heard of that website, I need to go there. I will have to wait until at least Saturday to post pics of my own since I ain't got no camera, but don't get your hopes up because the two guys above are better painters. Scorntyrant that Deathwing squad looks really good, also that is indeed a shitload of Death Corps models. If you play Death Corps the games store by me just listed a shitload of them on E-Bay, so check that out if you looking to buy some more models. Also I can't remember the name of the company but I guess this miniature line had to be discontinued recently because they looked to similar to the GW Krieg models, just the latest case of GW smashing a smaller company for whatever.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:10 pm 

Necroghast wrote:
Cool armies you've got going there. I'll take a picture of my Raven Guard army and post it when I get the chance.

Anyone post on http://www.coolminiornot.com/ ? I've been posting there for about 4 years under the same username. It's a great site for all kinds of miniature painting stuff.

In terms of Golden Demon, I've only ever entered the one in Baltimore.

Whoa... one of the models advertised there looks nearly identical to Bisley's Balor of the Evil Eye from The Horned God.

http://www.carrowkeel.com/sites/moytura ... alor1.jpeg

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 am 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Cool never heard of that website, I need to go there. I will have to wait until at least Saturday to post pics of my own since I ain't got no camera, but don't get your hopes up because the two guys above are better painters. Scorntyrant that Deathwing squad looks really good, also that is indeed a shitload of Death Corps models. If you play Death Corps the games store by me just listed a shitload of them on E-Bay, so check that out if you looking to buy some more models. Also I can't remember the name of the company but I guess this miniature line had to be discontinued recently because they looked to similar to the GW Krieg models, just the latest case of GW smashing a smaller company for whatever.

If you look closely, you'l see that they are not actually forgeworld models at all! they are Wargames factory "Shock troops" - about a quarter of the price and they come in boxes of 18. The weapons they come with are not great though, so I'm sourcing cadian lasgun arms to use.

I very, very rarely buy anything from GW other than paint, and even on that front I'm considering moving over to using Reaper or Valjeo. I use the "buy/sell/swap" forum on the australian wargaming site to pick up bargains and then strip and repaint the minis. similarly, I try and acquire old armies from people who dont play anymore and repaint them to my standards. I'm about to start doing my own scratchbuilding and resin casting for vehicles as well. So the cost argument is not so pressing - one of the reasons GW more or less ignores old veteran gamers as we dont pay their inflated prices. there was a huge uproar about their pricing in Australia recently too, so a lot of us are boycotting them till they fix it.

RaudtOgSvart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:09 am 

40k is the most brutal fictional setting since the Old Testament and I need to stop drinking and start reading thnsks 40k thread, this Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus has been sitting here half assed since '09, Larkin, don't fucking die on me. If he dies prematurely, so will everyone on the Archives. Call the fucking UN

thenamelessdead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:39 am 

It all started for me when I played Hero Quest at a friend's house when I was nine or ten (or something) so we're talking '91/92. I got a copy of Space Crusade soon after. Started playing 40k in 1993/4, second edition. Since then I've delved in and out of it but always maintained an interest.

These days I'm quite inactive but once I'm sort out with my own place and if I ever get the time/space I'll try to get round to painting some stuff. A friend and sometime poster on these boards is quite active in terms of painting and gaming so we'll get together now and then.

Still got several Blood Bowl teams and tones of WFB/40k that is grey - I never was a prolific painter. Word of advice for the threadstarter - try to buy slowly and make sure you paint what you've got, because if like me you go out and splurge on an entire army the prospect of painting it all can be quite daunting.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:18 am 

RaudtOgSvart wrote:
40k is the most brutal fictional setting since the Old Testament and I need to stop drinking and start reading thnsks 40k thread, this Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus has been sitting here half assed since '09, Larkin, don't fucking die on me. If he dies prematurely, so will everyone on the Archives. Call the fucking UN

40k is a cool setting, but shit like Gaunt's Ghosts or the Horus Heresy novels really ruin it. Totally shits and retcons everything that used to be cool about it.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:23 am 

RaudtOgSvart wrote:

Best post ever.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 am 

MacMoney wrote:
RaudtOgSvart wrote:

40k is a cool setting, but shit like Gaunt's Ghosts or the Horus Heresy novels really ruin it. Totally shits and retcons everything that used to be cool about it.

I don't see how. The GG series did not reconstruct any universe fiction that I recall, and actually added some cool stuff to it. The Heresy novels, on the other hand, I can see your point with, but I think again that anything they've added has been really worthwhile. Any universe that is built so haphazardly over so many years is subject to revisionism, i guess you just have a lower opinion of the revisions than I do. How far did you make it into those respective series?

SouthernViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:07 pm 

Hell I agree with that one! I could have sworn I've read somewhere when it first stared out it was essentially judge dred in SPACE!!! with alot star wars and dune references. Well aside from that I love them horus hersey novels, its interesting to see what would have happened back in the day. I dont play the game, due to lack of cash but I adore the fluff of the whole thing. My favorite legions are Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Iron Warriors, Imperial Fists, Night Lords, and World Eaters.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:51 am 

Have a look at the original "Rogue Trader" rulebook on scribd - its original incarnation had a lot more weird/dark humour than its current version.

I have to say I disagree about the black Library stuff. Some of them are fairly average, but by and large I think they do a pretty good job. I just finished "Blood Reaver", one of the night lords book, and its a damn good read. The Word Bearers novels were some of the most twisted and morbid sci-fi pulp I've come across.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 am 

It's been a while since I played the tabletop game (I like Chaos and the Rapecrons/Cheesecrons/OPcrons/etc) but every Sunday a small group of friends rendezvouz at my house for some Space Hulk.
(That usually goes wayyyyyyy into the early hours)

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Death Korps of Krieg IG army.

Never actually played Warhammer 40K but enjoy the whole fluff a lot. Especially the mentioned Detah Korps of Krieg look totally awesome with thier dieselpunkish trench-gasmask-WW1 stuff meets SciFi outfits.

Seul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:37 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
:D.... man, I kind of miss those days). I'd built up a fair number of squads and command units when I started thinking about this undertaking realistically, at which point I realized it would take far too much time, money, and energy to actually make playing this game a reality for it to ever be worth it. Which was kind of a shitty epiphany, but eh...it was fun while it lasted. ... Sadly, I had to spend my time on more 'worthwhile' things such as middle school. :lol:

Fuck that. Life is so unfair.

Hear hear, man. :) It was always odd going into the Last Grenadier and seeing the sea of lead I had ahead of me. Kind of thrilling at first, and completely prohibitive shortly thereafter. Good times, though. Painting was fun. Wish I'd played at least a single game at one point. We have to watch Kelly's friends play at some point ... if they still do.

"If you're strong, you can beat [lead poisoning]."

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:26 pm 

Check the name, and you will know where my allegiance lies. Straight Chaos, through and through.

Aside from my Thousand Sons, I've got a few squads painted up Alpha Legion. Other than that Sons of Malice are my main Legion.

Because I'm a bit short on cash I haven't been buying anything lately, and probably won't until Q3-4 of next year. When I hope that the rumors of the new starter set are true(Black Templars vs Chaos Daemons) so I can buy a couple of those and start some conversions and get the new rulebook in one shot. There isn't too active of a community where I live so I mainly get my fix on Dawn of War II.

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:32 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
Horus Heresy novels really ruin it.

Legion was great, and it made me actually like a Loyalist Legion, although I am speaking of AL, so I'm not sure if that still counts.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:05 pm 

Here are those pictures of my finished Raven Guard army. Tabletop quality paint job here.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:59 pm 

holy balls, that's good painting right there.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

snakehead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:20 pm 

It's great, but way too fucking expensive. And if you think you can go start an army with a couple hundred bucks looking like the ones posted...guess again. Painting a decent looking model is hard haha.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:48 pm 

Dont mean to be too critical Necroghast, but you really, really need to thin your paint! Black is a bit of a bitch to paint as it tends to obscure detail. If you look closely at well-painted Black minis, they are usually actually a shade of deep blue or green with grey highlights. You can still see a lot of black undercoat on those, which looks like an matte enamel from a spraycan (I use the same as a basecoat). Because the pieces are so small, this does not give enough depth for a realistic shadow to fall, which is why we see these exaggerated highlights all the time. As I say, its hard to do with black without either using blue or green washes or a drybrush of something like codex grey or shadow grey. I havent gotten the camera out much since I last posted, but I found a more recent pic in my photobucket account which shows what I mean:

the black armour on those chaplains is built up via thin glazes of a mix of green, blue and gloss varnish. then the edge of each armour plate is picked out in grey. the technique is more apparent in the Librarian as you can see the highlights more clearly.

anyway, heres what I'm working on at the moment: Rust effects on the artillery pieces for the Krieg army:

A_Cryptic_Sage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:44 am 

Your armies look very good , gentlemen. For me, I play Blood Angels Spacemarines. I haven't played in such a long time though! I think I might go Tyranids soon.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:50 am 

snakehead wrote:
It's great, but way too fucking expensive. And if you think you can go start an army with a couple hundred bucks looking like the ones posted...guess again. Painting a decent looking model is hard haha.

Expensive, yes. Although, as I say above, if you're smart and have the patience to buy peoples crappily painted armies that they dont use, strip the paint off and start again you can build a kick-ass army for not a huge outlay. It also helps if you have the nostalgia for the old models as heaps of people my age have 2nd edition stuff gathering dust. As far as the painting learning-curve goes, it takes a lot of practice and patience. I started painting again after not doing a mini since I was 14 about 3 years ago( a 15 year gap). Its a matter of reading a lot of blogs, experimenting with new techniques and materials, talking to people you game with who have high-level skills. you also have to be aware of how to work quickly if you dont want to get sick of the project you are doing. There are a lot of methods out there for batch-painting whole squads which is appropriate in horde-armies and let you move through the work quickly using washes and dry-brushing. So anyway, as you may gather I'm psyching myself up to start entering competitions - I play tournaments fairly often (in years when I'm not doing band stuff or studying),and presentation is about 10% of your score in OZ, but dedicated painting ones would be interesting. shame we dont have a Golden Demon down here anymore.

anyway, MORE PICS PEOPLE

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:24 am 

I prefer Battletech.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:25 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Dont mean to be too critical Necroghast, but you really, really need to thin your paint! Black is a bit of a bitch to paint as it tends to obscure detail. If you look closely at well-painted Black minis, they are usually actually a shade of deep blue or green with grey highlights. You can still see a lot of black undercoat on those, which looks like an matte enamel from a spraycan (I use the same as a basecoat). Because the pieces are so small, this does not give enough depth for a realistic shadow to fall, which is why we see these exaggerated highlights all the time. As I say, its hard to do with black without either using blue or green washes or a drybrush of something like codex grey or shadow grey. I havent gotten the camera out much since I last posted, but I found a more recent pic in my photobucket account which shows what I mean:

Don't worry man, I know. Those dudes are just a table top army and I'm fully aware that the paint is really thick. If you go up in the thread you can see some of my display stuff - the Ringwraith and the Ghoul. Also with really large pictures, errors like that tend to get exaggerated. I'm gonna take better pictures of the Ghoul and post them.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:15 am 

forgive my poor observation then - I didnt notice it was the same poster! I know what you mean about the camera - I'm often horrified when I look at pictures of my stuff - every minor omission becomes glaring when its there as clear as day in a photo. The Wraith is very nice. I've been struggling with painting one of these buggers for a while:

Had him in mind to use as a CSM sorcerer or Deamon prince, but all the colours keep coming out muddy and ill defined. Monochrome grey-green is quite hard to pull off if you want the piece to "pop". Do you ever go back and re-do bits of the tabletop army? I have it in mind that I will finish once and for all my 3 Marine armies, but I get distracted by other projects. I just end up taking one squad at a time out of the case and fixing the highlights, glazes etc. Eventually it means moving from having a whole army table-top to one day having the whole lot display standard. One day it will be done!!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next