Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:09 pm 

I've been getting really sick of the term "screamo" being misused. I notice a lot of you probably will say these following bands are screamo:

BMTH
Suicide Silence
Chelsea Grin
Asking Alexandria
Of Mice and Men
Attack Attack

However those aren't screamo bands. They're metalcore/deathcore. (one of them is a mix between metalcore and electronic/pop). I'll explain why:

Actual screamo is a genre which came from hardcore punk. Yes, screamo was influenced by punk. It wasn't ever influenced by metal though. It's a subgenre of emocore (emocore bands are stuff like Rites of spring and embrace) but with screaming and stuff. The reason why fans of bands like Of Mice and Men think their favorite bands are "Screamo" is because they scream or growl. But that doesn't make them screamo. Some metalheads are pretty gullible and actually believe this. But I'll let you know. Fans of bands like BMTH and Motionless in White are new to extreme music. I bet you millions of dollars before they listened to extreme music, they were probably just normal kids or rap fans believing whatever the media says. And get ready for this: The media thinks that any band that has heavy guitars and screams or growls is automatically a screamo band. Hell, fans of bands like BMTH, Asking Alexandria, Miss May I, etc even have told me that Lamb of God, Cannibal Corpse, Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, etc are screamo bands. They even mention those bands when I ask them their favorite screamo bands.

Here's a list of actual screamo bands:

Pg. 99
Heroin
Mohinder
I Hate Myself
Neil Perry
Saetia
Circle Takes the Square

Here are some screamo songs:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:13 pm 

Alexisonfire isn't a screamo band.

Also that's why many people who enjoy screamo in the past have adopted the term skramz to describe those bands. and those you listed would be considered OG skramz. You also forgot to meantion practically the first screamo band Rites of Spring

METALSANDMETALS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:20 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Alexisonfire isn't a screamo band.

Also that's why many people who enjoy screamo in the past have adopted the term skramz to describe those bands. and those you listed would be considered OG skramz. You also forgot to meantion practically the first screamo band Rites of Spring

Actually Alexisonfire is definitely screamo. Didn't you listen to the song? I mean really. The band so much hardcore punk influences. In fact, it's pretty fine to even call them a hardcore band. Maybe they aren't generic screamo, but they are screamo. I think they sound a lot like hardcore punk. But Rites of Spring isn't. They're emo, but not screamo because they didn't really scream.

But alexisonfire is screamo, you could listen to that song or even their song .44 caliber love letter

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:29 pm 

METALSANDMETALS wrote:
I've been getting really sick of the term "screamo" being misused. I notice a lot of you probably will say these following bands are screamo:

BMTH
Suicide Silence
Chelsea Grin
Asking Alexandria
Of Mice and Men
Attack Attack

However those aren't screamo bands. They're metalcore/deathcore. (one of them is a mix between metalcore and electronic/pop). I'll explain why:

Stop right there. You are trying to "educate" a forum that you presume to be full of fans of these bands. You are mistaken. Bona fide metalheads almost always learn what actual screamo sounds like early on because they get tired of everything with harsh vocals being labeled with the term. Between that and the metalcore thread you made, you seem to think we have no idea what we're talking about, or for that matter, that these "genre mistakes" you're seeing everywhere originate from this forum when they most certainly don't. Stop trying to preach to us, go bother an official forum for one of those bands if you have to play Genre History 101.

Last edited by Metantoine on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll pretend that is the locking post of this thread. Good job, Mutant.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 pm 

I'm not arguing with you. You would never be considered part of the whole skramz movement. You would be laughed at just as you are attempting to at everyone misusing the term screamo.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 pm 

I'm really not gonna read into it as much as Mr. Mutant did, but otherwise I agree with him. Also, I consider anything with those type screams to be screamo, because it sounds really emo and the vocalists are screaming. I don't really care for the technicalities, because this isn't my type of music and I don't wish to understand it anymore than I do or don't.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.