Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:23 pm 

Hello!

I'm less familiar with how recommandation threads work in The Tavern, so yeah, move this elsewhere if this isn't the right place. And sorry!

So! There, I really like Jedi Mind Tricks, especially their album Violent By Design, and would be interested in discovering similar, dark, hard hitting hip-hop.

Ideally, I'd like stuff that doesn't have homophobic or sexist lyrics. Jedi Mind Tricks bugs me whenever they use homophobic slurs, but most of their songs don't have them, so I can still enjoy their music when there is none. I also like how they deal with other social and political issues on other subjects, so yeah. Not perfect, but still interesting on most songs.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:31 pm 

You might check out adjacent projects from JMT members. Army of the Pharaohs and Heavy Metal Kings might interest you.
Fire walk with me"

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:09 am 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
You might check out adjacent projects from JMT members. Army of the Pharaohs and Heavy Metal Kings might interest you.

I had been meaning to do so for a while, but yeah, I guess that's as good a place to start as any. Thanks for reminding me of these other projects!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:02 pm 

clipping. maybe? They are more horrorcore and therefore have more atmospheric production but some of Daveed Diggs' flows make me think of Vinnie Paz.

And there aren't any homophobic/misogynistic slurs cause clipping isn't about that life.

Necro and Kool G Rap's The Godfathers side project might also be up your alley if you like JMT but Necro is homophobic so...

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:20 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
clipping. maybe? They are more horrorcore and therefore have more atmospheric production but some of Daveed Diggs' flows make me think of Vinnie Paz.

And there aren't any homophobic/misogynistic slurs cause clipping isn't about that life.

Necro and Kool G Rap's The Godfathers side project might also be up your alley if you like JMT but Necro is homophobic so...

Thanks for the recs! I'll start with Clipping for sure, and will also revisit Vinnie Paz's solo material.

Kool G Rap might be up my alley too.

And yeah, might be a good idea to explore horrorcore more? I mean, I love loud and abrasive stuff, especially if it has social and political statements, like dälek.

Reply to topic