Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PumpkinFlyFree
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:51 pm 

I'd just like to get some different opinions from those who have it. I'm personally more of an eBay guy at the moment but I'm starting to hear more and more people are using Prime. I've read a bunch of people say they are grandfathered into the program and only pay $15 a year, whereas others are paying the full $100 a year but still find it well worth it due to buying so many things.

tahu157
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:36 pm 

I get a student discount so I only pay $49 but I'd say it's 100% worth it if you buy from Amazon with any consistency. Shipping can be pretty expensive depending on how much you're buying at once. I bought a bunch of computer parts that probably total around 8-10 pounds which woulda been a nice chunk of cash to ship even at the cheapest option but with prime I got them here for free, and on top of that they arrived faster than they would have if I had gone for the cheapest shipping option.

This is starting to sound like a TV ad but long story short, yes, I think I'm getting my money's worth and more.

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm 

I make sure to get my money's worth! I order stuff from Amazon weekly plus use their prime video streaming service (currently watching Twin Peaks) usually the free monthly books for the kindle aren't great but I pick one anyways. If you order a lot of things on the internet it's worth it overall I'd say although I don't always get things in 2 days as promised. Make sure to check other sites too because Amazon isn't always the cheapest but with free shipping it will often offset the cost.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:34 pm 

I pay the hundred/year and it's easily worth it for me. It depends what you buy and how much/how often.

Just today I got some dog treats and a 100 pack of tea bags (both cheaper than locally). I've bought a lot of music through them, and I get new albums on release day, plus they usually have the option of "auto-rip," which is allowing you to immediately download the mp3s.

Where music is concerned, sometimes you still can't find obscure shit or older out of print stuff. Better known artists can usually be found for decent prices, or competitive prices. I got a late-70s David Bowie box set this week, and Gary Numan's new album on CD. I've found new Alice Cooper and Judas Priest CDs for like $4 when I was trying to replace stuff I only had on cassette. But if you want some obscure black metal, you might still need to check Ebay (Ebay usually also includes more info on stuff like that, plus photos of the actual item).

So it depends how much music and how obscure/nonobscure if the music is worth it (you still want to shop around with music, usually).

If you consider buying any other stuff on there, more than once a month, it's worth it. I buy Asian foods on there, tubs of gochujang and other pepper sauces, tea, coffee, electronics, computers and computer parts, tshirts, dog food/snacks/toys because I live in the middle of nowhere. My mailman probably hates me, but it's worth it with the free 2 day shipping.

Plus you get the streaming movies, tv shows, and music. There often isn't a whole lot of great streaming movies/shows, but I've watched documentaries and stuff on there. And there seems to be quite a bit of music you can stream when you are a member, too.

Sorry for all the rambling, but prices also fluctuate, so keep that in mind, too. There are certain dog snacks I get, for example, that fluctuate between $3.50 and $7 for the exact same thing, so you have to pay attention and buy when they are cheaper.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 am 

I must be lost here because I only pay 20-25 euros/year. If you order like 7-8 products per year it is worth of it. And its great to receive the products only one day later which is very helpful with last minute ideas for a birthday haha :D

demonomania
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:19 am 

I am a fan. And they are certainly outpacing Netflix in their ever-expanding library of shitty movies available to watch for free.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Reply to topic