* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am 

usernamepassword wrote:
caspian wrote:
Pretty confident I could bench more than most of the people in this thread.

yeah but I dont think thats something to be too proud of considering...

I think my max bench was something like 4 reps of 315, 4 reps of 275 inclined, can't remember declined. It's a decent number for most, but technicaly not impressive considering my size. I should also be curling something outrageous like 90lb dumbells or something like that. Fuck that noise.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:42 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
It's a decent number for most, but technicaly not impressive considering my size.

Yeah you say you're like well over 300 pounds...how much of that is FAT though?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 pm 

I was getting somewhat ripped in the summer, but here at my new University the membership is 250 euro which I couldn't afford if my life depended on it. Really sucks, because now I can only afford to go to the gym once or twice a week. I've had to start eating way healthier to keep my body in check, which blows since I'm a sucker for junk food. I've been thinking of buying some free weights so I could fuck around with those in my apartment.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:27 pm 

My max bench is not only tiny, but it's even lower, since I missed the gym for weeks on end for multiple annoying, but unavoidable reasons. I won't even mention it here.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:27 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Nutrition is at least as important as fitness, remember that - ....but I have some terrible eating habits.

since a few months I occupied myself with nutrition more than ever. Changed my eating habits surely for the better but I, too, am absolutely addicted to sweets. Esp. in the evening it's both joy and addiction ( ;) ) to throw in chocolate, liqorice, winegums whatever. I'm still of rather normal/slender buld but a slight "ring" around my belly surely is there. Below are quite some belly muscles thanks to my exercises, however they aren't really visible, haha.
Truth is - I want that little ring to disappear but that would mean leaving aside the sweets. Then I possibly would be happy with some kind of 6-pack but I would mourn the loss of beloved chocloate etc. Any idea how to solve that problem? I tried to switching to fruits and nuts but it's just that - fruit and nuts and NOT chocolate & co ;) Damn sweeties.... but so damn delicious...
Maybe the only way is some cold turkey and just don't have any sweets in my house... But I see myself running out at night to a store to buy some in despair. Ahhhhhh...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm 

i never did a maximum bench thing but two years back when I did a fair bit of weights I could do 6 reps of 330 lb (stupid imperial systems) easily enough.

edit: could probably still do it now as well, I guess? I'm smaller but I've just lost fat, I think/I hope.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 pm 

also, fark, Gelseth's huge! It's rare that I say that about people as I'm not exactly a tiny guy myself. Just saw his facebook, dude is crazy massive.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:51 pm 

Let's all speak of Gelseth's impressive build. MY MY. HE IS A MOUNTAIN OF A MAN.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 am 

My bench is pretty lame, just did 255 pounds for the first time on monday.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 am 

Also, in some bizarre alternate reality, society has crumbled and Gelseth has used his size and strength to enslave us all to his will.

Warlust666
Some guy who posts sometimes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 am 

caspian wrote:
forget the ironman, smoke meth & surf pipe.

I'm a fatass but a pretty damn fit/strong fatass. I do a shitload of swimming/water activites and jog 3 or so times a week, depending on how much time I've spent in the water. A lot of weights, currently just doing toning shit as I'm big enough already and don't need to get more massive.. Just a lot of basic barbell work. Oughta do more cardio, I'm good at endurance shit but definitely need to brush up on more intense stuff. Eating a bit less would also help :D

I've been weight training for nearly 7 years. Before that I was a fat ass too. It took me a year but I lost 20 kgs. I don't get too involved with nutrition just basic common sense. Just don't eat shit or eat it in moderation.

You should aim to eat more. 6 times a day but in smaller portions. It will help stimulate your metabolism and will assist with shredding. Dedicate more time doing squats and deadlifts. These compound exercises will smash your body and is best way to release testosterone. Cardio won't do bugger all in terms of losing body fat to tone especially if you have considerable amount of muscle mass unless you are already insanely fit. Try routines that willl increase the afterburn effect. :)

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:47 am 

I've been told that after a good workout, you have a window of half an hour to consume protein that your body will more readily use to repair and build muscle... does anyone know if there's there any truth to this?

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 am 

Yeah well others say you have an hour, and others still say you only have 15 minutes. Who's right? It doesn't matter, as long as you actually eat something and not do stupid shit like have a candy bar for the rest of the day.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:24 am 

Are you actually a fatass, caspian? You definitely seem to exercise way more than any other fatass I'm familiar with.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 am 

From what I remember from his Facebook profile image, Caspian isn't fat at all.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm 

does caspian have a facebook?

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 pm 

He did when I joined the MET group.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:42 am 

Thanks everyone, I stopped crying for a whole 15 minutes to feel smug. Then immediately resumed crying.

Well, I've lost a lot of weight recently, and been gaining a shitton of muscle, so my weight as of late has stayed basically the same even thought i've dropped two pants sizes and almost a shirt size. Hehe, on FB I don't have any recent pictures up, I'll have to take some to denote my recent fat loss. I was getting pretty disgusting there for a while.
@caspian, that's some impressive shit right there. I should fly to Australia (or vice versa) and we should start a bar fight somewhere. Old western style fights, like where there are people getting tossed out windows and shit. Should be fun.

Last edited by Gelseth_Andrano on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am 

Routine yesterday at Das Gym

Shrugs: 3 sets of 10, 110lb dumbells
Shoulder flies: 3 sets of 6, 30 lb dumbells (is there a good way to buildi this up faster, anyone?)
Curls: 3 sets of 6, 60lb dumbells
Tricep pull-downs: 3 sets of 8, 200lb stack
Hammer curls: 3 sets of 6, 55lb dumbells
Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 8, 50lb dumbells

My tris are pretty strong but I need to find a better way of working my biceps. I used to curls 75's a few years back, and I want to get back to that point, any tips?

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:28 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Shoulder flies: 3 sets of 6, 30 lb dumbells (is there a good way to buildi this up faster, anyone?)

You probably refuse to listen to me in this case but you really shouldn't because I actually lift bigger weights in this exercise than you!
Anyway one thing I've been doing lately is first doing a set with bigger weights then immediately afterwards another set with smaller weights, definitely works. I do a set of 8 or something with 22,5 kg dumbbells (that's 50 lbs for those who can't count) and the next set with 15 kg (~30 lbs) dumbbells. This is a great tactic when the bigger weights alone don't really make you feel the burn in your shoulders...or biceps or whatever muscle group you're training.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:41 pm 

Gelseth: You ever tried the 5x5 method? Pick a few key exercises, do 5 sets of 5 reps of each with plenty of rest in between sets. Use a weight that you'd fail at 6 reps with. Generally better to pick bigger compound lifts, but there are always exceptions. Excellent and fun way to gain a lot of strength in not much time, if you already have a good base.

Example:

Day 1: Barbell Squat 5x5, Barbell Static Squat (aka Stationary Lunge) 5x5, Machine Leg Curl 5x5 (there are better exercises for hams, but I'm keeping it simple), Pullup 5x5, Barbell Bent-Over Row 5x5
Day 2: Deadlift 5x5, Incline Barbell Bench 5x5, Dip 5x5, Barbell Curl 5x5, Straight-bar Pressdown 5x5

Since you're not able to do bodyweight pullups, you can use an assisted chinup machine if one is available; or use pulldowns instead. If 5 dips is no problem for you, hang some weights off of a weight belt.

Do that for just four weeks, with 4 days a week working out (Mon, Tue, rest, Thu, Fri, rest, rest, IE), and then come back to your dumbbell curls... You will smoke them.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:53 pm 

usernamepassword wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

You probably refuse to listen to me in this case but you really shouldn't because I actually lift bigger weights in this exercise than you!
Anyway one thing I've been doing lately is first doing a set with bigger weights then immediately afterwards another set with smaller weights, definitely works. I do a set of 8 or something with 22,5 kg dumbbells (that's 50 lbs for those who can't count) and the next set with 15 kg (~30 lbs) dumbbells. This is a great tactic when the bigger weights alone don't really make you feel the burn in your shoulders...or biceps or whatever muscle group you're training.

8 reps with 50's? You know I'm talking about flies, and not presses, right? And why would I refuse advice when I ask for help?

@swayze, I'll try this 5x5 method, sounds good.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:03 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
8 reps with 50's? You know I'm talking about flies, and not presses, right?

Exactly ;)

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:05 pm 

Wow, not too shabby. The rest of my shoulers are strong, I can shrug a ton, press a ton, the flies, not so much thought.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:06 pm 

I've been meaning to go to the gym more but hangovers, insomnia (which makes it hard to wake up to go to gym before class) and schoolwork is getting in the way lately. I'm not nearly as good as I want to be. I can bicep curl 35 pound dumbells in each hand for two sets of ten and leg press three sets of ten at 350 pounds. Really gotta get on that shit and get my muscles back.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:07 pm 

You know, lifitng will most likely help that insomnia. The hangovers though, hehe...

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:32 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Wow, not too shabby. The rest of my shoulers are strong, I can shrug a ton, press a ton, the flies, not so much thought.

yay i'm a strong fuck...especially with my arms and upper body in general, my legs dont really match my upper body...although I dont think being able to leg press 8 reps with 700 lbs is all that bad!

but yeah just keep working those flies, you should get results very soon...before last summer I didn't even do any flies at all but when I started it only took like a few months to go from 20 lbs to 50.
also do you ever do straight arm front raise? thats when you have dumbbells/barbell/machine/whatever in your hands then you raise your both arms forwards while keeping them straight, I added that into my workout some time ago and its awesome ;)

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:52 pm 

Gelseth: Let me know how 5x5 goes in a few weeks... It's a great system, the workouts are short and sweet, and the strength gains are phenomenal.

username: You talking about lateral raises or flys? I got the impression that Gelseth meant lateral raises, since he was talking about his shoulders, but I could be wrong.

Lateral Raise: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Deltoid ... Raise.html
DB Fly: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pectora ... DBFly.html

If you can do lateral raises with that form with 22.5kg in each hand though... Props, that's a fucking lot of weight.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:56 pm 

yess, I was reffering to the lateral raise. I do like 70's with the DB flies.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 pm 

yeah lateral raises were exactly what I was talking about as well...like I said Ima strong fuck

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 am 

I hate lateral raises,

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 am 

I like them, they're just tough as fuck. SO far, I've been at 30lbs dumbells for like 2 months now. I've seen obvious gains, but I'm not getting any stronger...makes no sense. everything else is gettign stronger, just not that

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:03 pm 

What's the best exercise to hit that tricep that curls toward your bicep? I'm trying skullcrushers and dips, but I only feel any burn in the other side of my arms (I'm not sure but I think it's also part of the tricep).

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:05 pm 

Have you tried tricep kickbacks?

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:08 pm 

Never even heard of them, so no... would you recommend them over other isolation exercises?

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Never even heard of them, so no... would you recommend them over other isolation exercises?

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:21 pm 

Thanks man.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:22 pm 

I still think skullucrushers are the best if you do them right. Don't let your elbows bend out.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:44 am 

Guys, do you think it's counterproductive that I train in my health center gym with less weight and more reps (2 times a week) while when at home I train with more weight and fewer reps (same week, two other days). To me it basically feels ok but maybe I boycott some benefits with that?
MO and WED: gym (with 2x20 for each exercise)
FR and SUN: at home (around 3x10 for each exercise)

good? bad? doesn't matter?

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:37 pm 

20 reps a set? Most people tell me that anything more than 12 is overkill. I'd break it up into sets of 12 at most, myself, but I f I was going purely for strength, I'd try doing even less per set.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 58  Next