Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spikedeheld
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:16 pm 

To ask what kind of beer I like most, is like asking for "one favorite metal band", if you live in Belgium like me, there's a whole world of fantastic beers to try... but to name a few superb ones; Westmalle tripel, Duvel, Barbar, Grimbergen, Tongerlo Prior, ...

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:05 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Not that it matters much; I've only had Bourbon County a few times, but that beer needs some serious age on it. With two or more years in the cellar, it is one of my top 30 or 20 beers. When it is fresh, it is one of my bottom 10, worst-of-the-worst beers. Seriously, fresh Bourbon County smells more like cheap whiskey than an actual bottle of cheap whiskey, there's just no integration of the barrel flavors whatsoever until it's like 8 months old.

Though that's the first bit of negative feedback I've heard for it, that really bums me out. I've never actually looked into the price of it but fuck, $23 for a 4-pack?

I've been in contact with a friend out that way to send me some beer from the region that I can't get here but since he doesn't drink it seems a bit of an unreasonable imposition on him. Anyone know of any ways of getting a hold of some of your regional brews (specifically Bell's, Founders, and Three Floyd's)? I've heard shipping over state lines is illegal for retailers so I'd assume that's out of the question. Or if anyone's interested in a bottle exchange, shoot me a PM.

worlddementia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:14 pm 

I don't have much of a pallate, or a really distinct taste for good beer, but I have some favorites. I dig Hoegaarden's wit blanche, and anything that's amber usually wins for me if it's not cheap "amber for the sake of color not flavor" stuff that you can pick up for the same price as a pack Heineken. I also really like Blue Moon, but who doesn't? I can't wait until I'm 21 so I can go out and try a fuck ton of different beers.

I may be generalizing, but I may not be a fan of German brews. I dislike Heineken and Beck's greatly. Beer's beer, hell, I drink Mickey's when I'm just trying to save money and get hammered.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:16 am 

worlddementia wrote:
I also really like Blue Moon, but who doesn't?

*cough*

Quote:
I may be generalizing, but I may not be a fan of German brews. I dislike Heineken and Beck's greatly.

Heineken is Dutch, not German and judging German beer by the likes of Beck's is... Well, that's like disregarding German metal because of Lacrimosa.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:00 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I remember well the days when Bourbon County Stout used to sit on shelves for months and was easily accessible for the price of $22.99 per four-pack. That was way back in.....2009. Prior to that, it was easy to get for $18.99. In 2010, it was on the shelf for all of two days in Chicago. The most recent release never made it to the shelf, and most stores split the four-pack off into individual bottles to sell to people on off-the-books lists. Seems to be happening a lot these days. Just last year, Founder's Curmudgeon was easy to find for a few weeks. After the craziness that was Curmudgeon's Better Half, it appears the hype factor for the regular went way the hell up; my local stores got a case each, and nobody was allowed more than two 12oz bottles.

Oh well. Goose said a few months back that they plan on quadrupling their barrel capacity over the next two years, so we might be able to see Bourbon County again in 2014. They are doing a special, tap-only release of it this summer for restaurants. Not that it matters much; I've only had Bourbon County a few times, but that beer needs some serious age on it. With two or more years in the cellar, it is one of my top 30 or 20 beers. When it is fresh, it is one of my bottom 10, worst-of-the-worst beers. Seriously, fresh Bourbon County smells more like cheap whiskey than an actual bottle of cheap whiskey, there's just no integration of the barrel flavors whatsoever until it's like 8 months old.

The craft beer craze has made finding a lot of stuff tough. Still, I found the Boubon County Stout fairly easily back in 2010 (haven't seen it since), probably because the price put off a lot of novices. One of the bright spots to the craft beer craze is that every mom and pop shop seems to be opening a craft beer section and a lot of times people don't even know about it. I found 4 packs of Founders Imperial Stout and Curmudgeon Ale this weekend at a little rinky-dink store a block from my house. Another little dump near my work had a whole ton of stuff and I picked up some Three Floyds there.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:06 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
Not that it matters much; I've only had Bourbon County a few times, but that beer needs some serious age on it. With two or more years in the cellar, it is one of my top 30 or 20 beers. When it is fresh, it is one of my bottom 10, worst-of-the-worst beers. Seriously, fresh Bourbon County smells more like cheap whiskey than an actual bottle of cheap whiskey, there's just no integration of the barrel flavors whatsoever until it's like 8 months old.

Though that's the first bit of negative feedback I've heard for it, that really bums me out. I've never actually looked into the price of it but fuck, $23 for a 4-pack?

I've been in contact with a friend out that way to send me some beer from the region that I can't get here but since he doesn't drink it seems a bit of an unreasonable imposition on him. Anyone know of any ways of getting a hold of some of your regional brews (specifically Bell's, Founders, and Three Floyd's)? I've heard shipping over state lines is illegal for retailers so I'd assume that's out of the question. Or if anyone's interested in a bottle exchange, shoot me a PM.

As I recall, shipping alchohol at all is illegal unless you are a licensed distributor. That said, distributors probably have agreements to sell only in certain locations and it would be illegal for them to ship outside those territories.

$23 for a 4 pack is rough, but production is limited, so it is what it is. Goose Island has few wine cask-aged beers that I've seen go for $20 for a big bottle. Besides, I've seen more expensive stuff around. Look what people pay and go through to get Dark Lord.

worlddementia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:44 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
worlddementia wrote:
I also really like Blue Moon, but who doesn't?

*cough*

Quote:
I may be generalizing, but I may not be a fan of German brews. I dislike Heineken and Beck's greatly.

Heineken is Dutch, not German and judging German beer by the likes of Beck's is... Well, that's like disregarding German metal because of Lacrimosa.

Like I said, I don't really have a distinguished taste for beer. Nor much knowledge, that speaks for itself. Just putting my tastes out there.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm 

So not really knowing what to expect, but I bought a bottle of Hoppin' Frog Sweet Evil for the probably-ridiculous price of $14.99. That's quite a lot for a domestic, non-barrel aged barleywine with an alcohol content below 9% (almost unheard of for a barleywine). But still, I'm intrigued by the concept of a non-hoppy Belgian barleywine (that is, an English barleywine base fermented with a Belgian strain).

If I really like it, I'm gonna kick myself for going out and buying the barrel-aged version for even more money. :lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:12 pm 

Huh, a beer thread...
I'm not exactly an expert regarding the variety of different beers you can buy here but since the regular, average priced beer is relatively high quality I don't have to be. I usually buy Krombacher or Jever which are both pilsners as are most of the successful german beers. The local types in the Rhineland are Kölsch and Altbier. Altbier is a dark ale that is common in Düsseldorf (where I grew up) while Kölsch is a bright ale mainly brewed in Cologne (Köln). Local patriotism and city-rivalry tend to culminate in the hate of each other's type of beer, casually comparing it to piss and the like, but it's mostly a laughing matter. I'm not a huge fan of Altbier, but it's good for a change from time to time while I (just like coincidentally all of my non-Rhineland friends) completely fail to enjoy Kölsch so make of that what you will.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:17 pm 

Not much of a beer tradition here in Brazil, most of the beers are really subpar, large-scale watered down shit, but we have some decent local breweries. I usually drink from Áustria and Karavelle when it comes to national stuff. They both brew standard pilsen and weiss beer, besides those, Áustria has Golden Ale and Amber, which is a dark red lager. Karavelle has Keller, an unfiltered, low-fermentation pilsen, Red Ale and Barba Negra which is a Stout with some coffee flavoring.
There used be another good brewery, Baden Baden, but it was bought by a larger company and the quality dropped since then.

They taste good, but they are more expensive and harder to come by than german stuff, so I usually stick with things like Franziskaner, Erdinger and Weltenburger Kloster.
I also enjoy Hoegaarden and Duvel a lot, but belgian beers are really fucking expensive, so it's rare for me to drink them.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:52 pm 

Well I'm drinking a Young's double chocolate stout atm and thankfully it is not nearly as disgusting as it sounds. But in times like these any kind of alcohol will do the trick so, there's that.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:51 am 

Gave Doc's Draft Raspberry Apple Cider a try today. It was aiight. Don't particularly recommend it.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:05 pm 

PhantomGreen wrote:
Well I'm drinking a Young's double chocolate stout atm and thankfully it is not nearly as disgusting as it sounds. But in times like these any kind of alcohol will do the trick so, there's that.

Not sure why that would sound disgusting. Stouts, especially the stronger and ones that use larger amounts of roasted malts in comparison to regular (i.e. ones that are not roasted) malts, often have chocolate flavors in them. Mind you, it's not the sweet milk chocolate that people tend to associate with chocolate, but rather the stronger, more intense and more bitter dark chocolate with cocoa content in excess of 80%, or just proper cocoa.

With all that lecturing written, Young's is not a particular favorite though the one people usually start out with, because it tends to be quite available and Young's is a (relatively) big brewery. They do use chocolate in the flavoring, but they also use chocolate flavoring which makes the beer taste a bit artificial.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:03 pm 

Just had a White Mountain Raspberry Weasel Wheat for the first time. Not a big fan of fruity beers, but this was nice on a hot and muggy day. It didn't have an overpowering raspberry flavor.

Quote:
Not much of a beer tradition here in Brazil, most of the beers are really subpar, large-scale watered down shit, but we have some decent local breweries.

I'm not all that familiar with Brazilian beer, but I have had a Xingu Black Beer which was delicious.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 pm 

american beer is like sex on the beach- fucking near water

The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:21 pm 

I have been known to indulge in more than several of these in one sitting.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 pm 

halfformedfetus wrote:

:durr:
Yeah, maybe if you live under a rock and think it consists solely of Bud Light and Coors.
Research, drink, and go nuts.

WWLD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:09 am 

Recently tried Red Hook Long Hammer IPA. Not too impressed.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 am 

halfformedfetus wrote:

From now on I'd try to avoid topics you obviously have little real-life experience in ;) .
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am 

darkeningday wrote:
halfformedfetus wrote:

From now on I'd try to avoid topics you obviously have little real-life experience in ;) .

We do have some exceptional micro breweries.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:28 am 

Some? We have hundreds of exceptional breweries. Anyone who says otherwise (fetus) clearly has never drank or at the very least, never once been on Beer Advocate.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:37 am 

The Orange Man wrote:
I'm not all that familiar with Brazilian beer, but I have had a Xingu Black Beer which was delicious.

Xingu is pretty good. But most other beers, like they say, having sex on the beach.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:26 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Some? We have hundreds of exceptional breweries. Anyone who says otherwise (fetus) clearly has never drank or at the very least, never once been on Beer Advocate.

You're right. Check out independence brewing co. Out of Texas if you haven't. Convict hill and bootlegger brown are particularly delicious.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:32 pm 

PhantomGreen wrote:

Ah, the beer shake! That stuff is delicious!

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:55 pm 

How is Spitfire Ale? I have come across this in the past but seeing the price chose a more budget happy beer but it has always piqued my interest. As a beer lover I really should dig into the more obscure beers though.

The Prophet Muhammad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 pm 

I accidentally drank the 120 minute IPA by dogfish head as a hangover brew at MDF (was meaning to take it back home with me). Well, it did the trick.

America has got to be the home of the craft brewery. I get annoyed with these retarded Canadian fucks who go "wowowowow our beer is so much better than americans! near water bla bla bla". Its always the people drinking Molson Canadian or something equally shitty, too. What a surprise that the people who know nothing about beer selection also are unaware of the plethora of amazing microbrews to the south.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:17 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
How is Spitfire Ale? I have come across this in the past but seeing the price chose a more budget happy beer but it has always piqued my interest. As a beer lover I really should dig into the more obscure beers though.

It's an English bitter from a fairly large-sized and old brewery so not really obscure at all. Or really that interesting, especially if you get those clear bottles there as well. That is, if it is the best known Spitfire by Shepherd Neame. You're better off trying to score something local. Or go for Fullers, Adnams or Timothy Taylor instead.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:03 am 

Quote:
I get annoyed with these retarded Canadian fucks who go "wowowowow our beer is so much better than americans! near water bla bla bla". Its always the people drinking Molson Canadian or something equally shitty, too.

Ha ha! Same here. Canada has some equally awesome breweries, but it's usually the shitheads holding a can of Labatt that insist on slagging all American beer with every breath.

jackwankery
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 am 

Guiness is good. I usually don't car what beer i'm drinking as long as it gets me drunk and doesn't taste that bad. Most of the time I drink the lidl beer which is like 70p a can so yeah haha!

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:40 pm 

Out of curiosity, Jackwank, is there a reason why you prefer something like beer over hard liquor if you care more about the effects than the taste? I'm seriously not trying to be an ass here, but you could get completely fucked on an $12 bottle of Rebel Yell vs. a case of Guinness.

Although I see you're in GBR, so it's possible beer costs far less than the hard stuff. Just asking.

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:59 pm 

I'm a huge fan of Dogfish Head Brewery (I think that's what it's called). Fucking ground breaking beers.

Anyone here do home brew? I've always been skeptical that I could make decent drink.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:30 am 

The other day I tried a porter from Kern County brewery and steak house. For a local brew it was damn good! It had a very strong chocolate, or maybe even a coffee taste to it along with a strong kick. I'll definitely pick some up again.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:18 am 

Just bought myself a slx-pack of Black Butte porter. It's really quite good; very deep flavor with a nice roasted bitterness and some nutty aromatics. Knocked back a few so far, definitely gonna be getting me some more.

piliano
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:36 pm 

When I don't want to get drunk and I just want to have one drink, I get a Franziskaner, if I'm going to drink a lot and get drunk, Estrella Damm (don't know if it's called some other way in other countries, or if it even exists)

There are some bars with lots of imported and different beers, but there aren't much of those, we're unlucky in Spain

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:23 pm 

One of the best beers I tasted was Grimbergen from Belgium (where else?). Really top.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 pm 

japc wrote:
Grimbergen

Sounds like the name of a black metal band

Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:43 pm 

Beer is overrated. I can finish a pitcher of iced tea faster than you can say "Whadafuqutalkinabout".

WWLD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:01 am 

Drinking some Schlafly American IPA. Fucking awesome. Yesterday tried New Holland Mad Hatter for the first time. Pretty good, nothing to write home about though. Only 5.25%. Wanted to get the Imperial Hatter but they didn't have it. Also had a couple Boulevard Double Wide IPA's which are also, fucking awesome!

WWLD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 am 

Beer is not overrated. It is a necessity.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 pm 

I considered myself quite the beer connoisseur in my college days, but ever since my son was born I've laid off extensively. I drink maybe five or six beers a year now. Anyways, the other day I had a sixteen ounce Franziskaner, and man, it knocked me on my ass. I feel like such a lightweight now!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 86  Next