Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 pm 

None, I reserve 100%'s for metal for political reasons.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:39 pm 

Agreed on the Temple of the Dog album too dudes, but I left it out cause I don't think I'd give it a full 100%.
The album as a whole drags a bit towards the end. But yes, Cornell never sang any better!

MaggotofDeath666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:43 pm 

Mine would have to be as follows:

Pink Floyd: wish you were here
Reason: It was an excellent album because it flowed so smoothly from song to song. There isn't a song on there that I don't like.

Circle Jerks: group sex
Reason: it was just so raw and in your face, it had a feel of I'm pissed off because the system doesn't work, everyone wants me to fit into a mold and be like everyone else, they don't want me to ask questions, etc.

Black flag: damaged
Reason: it helped define hardcore. Every song just felt hardcore, from the song six pack to gimme, gimme, gimme.

And those are my favorite non-metal albums.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:55 pm 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
That Bad Religion album is good...not one I'd put towards the top of their disco, but still good.

You're crazy, The Gray Race is every bit as good as the stuff before it. I think it starts off kinda slow but from "Pity the Dead" onwards it's some of their best stuff. Then again I'm a huge BR fanboy and love basically everything they've done so keep that in mind.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:59 pm 

Turner wrote:
Agreed on the Temple of the Dog album too dudes, but I left it out cause I don't think I'd give it a full 100%.
The album as a whole drags a bit towards the end. But yes, Cornell never sang any better!

Yeah, I don't think I'd give it a 100% either. Probably more like an 85%-90%. It's still an awesome album though.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:39 pm 

I like pretty much everything BR has done too, but The Gray Race is no where near the quality of their classics imo. I like Stranger Than Fiction better too. idk about Recipe for Hate though, that's a funny one because, on a whole it's kinda lackluster, but it has three incredible songs.

Btw, have you heard the Dissent of Man? Probably the only release of theirs that I didn't like at all. Damn was that shit awful.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:03 pm 

I still haven't heard the Dissent of Man - last one I heard was New Maps of Hell, which I thought was a really strong album.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:59 pm 

Dissent of Man was one of the biggest disappointments ever for me. "Resist Stance" and "The Day the Earth Stalled" are both great but otherwise it's really just kinda "eh". Recipe for Hate is one of my least favorites as well, but I really like "American Jesus" (obviously) and "Lookin' In". And while I consider Suffer thru Against the Grain to be their peak, I'd rate Generator, Stranger Than Fiction, The Gray Race, The Process of Belief, and New Maps of Hell only a cunt hair under that.

I might actually consider Generator part of that peak era since it is the first album after it, but it's a bit different so I tend not to group it with the rest of the late 80s and early 90s stuff.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:18 pm 

Bad Religion has some really good stuff, but I find that their albums always have filler.

Got two more to add:

Skream - Skream!
Wow, this is before dubstep caught on, and is not dubstep in any way that most people would consider dubstep at all. It actually features a high influence of dub reggae. The whole album is full of amazing instrumentals. The laid back dub of "Blue Eyez" and the awesome flute lead and subtle wobble bass on "Ruten" are my favourite moments. There are also two songs with guest vocalists with I really dig. One of the best albums of any electronic subgenre ever, in my opinion.

Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile
This is some truly amazing dub music from the 70s. It was largely responsible for making the melodica a popular instrument in dub/reggae. Its just a great album to chill out to. Its entirely instrumental, and very laid back, never really speeding up.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Bad Religion has some really good stuff, but I find that their albums always have filler.

Post Generator, yeah, but that magical 84-92 era, not at all.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Dissent of Man was one of the biggest disappointments ever for me. "Resist Stance" and "The Day the Earth Stalled" are both great but otherwise it's really just kinda "eh". Recipe for Hate is one of my least favorites as well, but I really like "American Jesus" (obviously) and "Lookin' In". And while I consider Suffer thru Against the Grain to be their peak, I'd rate Generator, Stranger Than Fiction, The Gray Race, The Process of Belief, and New Maps of Hell only a cunt hair under that.

I might actually consider Generator part of that peak era since it is the first album after it, but it's a bit different so I tend not to group it with the rest of the late 80s and early 90s stuff.

Yeah I always considered Generator to be part of their prime. God what an incredible four album stretch. They had really found their sound at that point, and all those albums represented the BR sound well, but at the same time, all of them had different tones that defined them.

As for RfH, the songs I was referring to were American Jesus, the title track, and Struck a Nerve. Those songs alone definitely make it worth buying imo. Empire Strikes Back was kinda like that as well, a few amazing standouts and a bunch of decent songs.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 pm 

I'd like The Empire Strikes First more if the filler wasn't so incredibly bland. There are great songs like "Sinister Rouge", "Atheist Peace", and "All There Is", but I can't stress enough how much I don't like "Los Angeles is Burning". Man that song just kinda... happens. I don't understand why its so popular, it's easily one of my least favorites of theirs. Unfortunately pretty much anything post Generator does have a fair bit of filler, pretty much every album has at least three or four songs I adore at the minimum.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:51 am 

Shit man, I love LA is Burning. I dunno, agree to disagree I guess. Yeah though, their albums always have at least one great song, even if on some there is only one (No Substance) :lol:. Some shit I just found out, the dude rapping at the end of Let Them Eat War is Sage Francis. Weird. Yo, check this song too if you haven't already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQEeXPkvQiM

The harmony in that chorus :drool:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:04 am 

I fail hardcore because I've never heard that song before. I had to go to Wiki and look it up to see it was from a live album I didn't have. I only have the 30 year anniversary live album (which is a disappointment, the whole shtick of the tour was 30 songs every night and at least one from each album while the live album for the tour is 17 tracks and like four or five albums aren't represented, the only reason I like it a lot is because the tracks from the first album sound WAY better). And yeah, No Substance is pretty lame, but I really like "Hear It" and the title track at the least. The New America is also kinda crappy but "You've Got a Chance", "A Streetkid Named Desire", and "Don't Sell Me Short" are all great. I also think his vocals are probably the best they've ever been on that album, which is unfortunate because on the whole it's pretty disappointing.

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:15 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Skream - Skream!
Wow, this is before dubstep caught on, and is not dubstep in any way that most people would consider dubstep at all.

On the contrary, I'd say this album's probably one of the best examples of dubstep out there, if someone asked me to show them what dubstep was I'd recommend this album as a good starting point. It's a shame that dubstep as a genre name has been hijacked by awful screeching electronoise shit like Skrillex, it doesn't detract from how amazing the real stuff can be though. Brilliant album. I'd recommend all albums by Digital Mystikz and Kromestar if you're interested in this sort of sound, great stuff.

You know, every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing, someone comes along to correct that assumption.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:59 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
That Bad Religion album is good...not one I'd put towards the top of their disco, but still good.

You're crazy, The Gray Race is every bit as good as the stuff before it. I think it starts off kinda slow but from "Pity the Dead" onwards it's some of their best stuff. Then again I'm a huge BR fanboy and love basically everything they've done so keep that in mind.

*Shrug*

The Gray Race and No Substance were ok albums, but imho nowhere near the best. STF, Generator, ATG, RFH, NC, Suffer and hell....even Empire and Process were better. I'd group those two albums in with, say, New America (which I actually like a lot, though a lot of fans don't).

I need to get the last two discs....I haven't even heard NMOH, and I wasn't all that jazzed about DOM, though I only listened to it once.

FromADistance
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:03 pm 

Way too many to mention so I'll just go with my current obsession; Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. The definition of irony: attempting to write a parody of prog albums and ending up writing one of the greatest prog albums of all time.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:06 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'd like The Empire Strikes First more if the filler wasn't so incredibly bland. There are great songs like "Sinister Rouge", "Atheist Peace", and "All There Is", but I can't stress enough how much I don't like "Los Angeles is Burning". Man that song just kinda... happens. I don't understand why its so popular, it's easily one of my least favorites of theirs. Unfortunately pretty much anything post Generator does have a fair bit of filler, pretty much every album has at least three or four songs I adore at the minimum.

Agreed on LA is Burning....it's one of the only BR tunes I skip every time. My absolute favorite on that disc, though: "God's Love." "Sinister Rouge" is great, as well...and for a band that rarely does it, that fade in they have in the beginning is really cool. I personally disagree with every album after Gen to be full of filler - RFH and STF are both albums that I like every single tune on.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:10 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Shit man, I love LA is Burning. I dunno, agree to disagree I guess. Yeah though, their albums always have at least one great song, even if on some there is only one (No Substance) :lol:. Some shit I just found out, the dude rapping at the end of Let Them Eat War is Sage Francis. Weird. Yo, check this song too if you haven't already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQEeXPkvQiM

The harmony in that chorus :drool:

NICE! I'm also a huge fan of this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZRBwYFIP0

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:51 am 

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Agreed on LA is Burning....it's one of the only BR tunes I skip every time. My absolute favorite on that disc, though: "God's Love." "Sinister Rouge" is great, as well...and for a band that rarely does it, that fade in they have in the beginning is really cool. I personally disagree with every album after Gen to be full of filler - RFH and STF are both albums that I like every single tune on.

I hope I didn't imply they're all full of filler, because as I said, Stranger than Fiction, The Gray Race, The Process of Belief, and New Maps of Hell all certainly have more good than bad things on them. I find it hard to comprehend how somebody could like STF but not TGR, they're along the same lines style-wise and I feel like the songwriting is about equal. The only thing working against TGR is that the best tracks are all in the latter half, so maybe some people could get impatient and move away before "Pity the Dead" or "Drunk Sincerity" or "Cease" comes on, but eh, different strokes I guess.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:13 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I hope I didn't imply they're all full of filler, because as I said, Stranger than Fiction, The Gray Race, The Process of Belief, and New Maps of Hell all certainly have more good than bad things on them. I find it hard to comprehend how somebody could like STF but not TGR, they're along the same lines style-wise and I feel like the songwriting is about equal. The only thing working against TGR is that the best tracks are all in the latter half, so maybe some people could get impatient and move away before "Pity the Dead" or "Drunk Sincerity" or "Cease" comes on, but eh, different strokes I guess.

"Cease" is amazing, I love the acoustic/piano version of that tune. The acoustic version of "Sorrow" that Greg does is awesome, as well. Shit, now I want to play some BR.....

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:09 pm 

Alice in Chains - Dirt Best Grunge album.
Fields of the Nephilim – Elizium
Giacinto Scelsi – Anahit-Uaxuctum New Music, doomy and post-religious. youtube
Baaba Maal & Mansour Seck – Djam Leelii Senegalese Folk/Blues, rooted and full of spirit. Never heard anything like this again. youtube

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:26 pm 

Hellbeast11 wrote:
Alice in Chains - Dirt Best Grunge album.

Snubbing the metal from AIC,yes?

Viral_Nemesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 pm 

Hellbeast11 wrote:
Giacinto Scelsi – Anahit-Uaxuctum New Music, doomy and post-religious. youtube

Scelsi is great, and deserves wider recognition. Glad to see him mentioned here. As for my pick, I'd give Charles Mingus' "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" a 100% in a heartbeat.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm 

Public Enemy- It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 am 

One of the bands of my youth(and still an all-time fave) is The Moody Blues. One of the first prog rock outfits who I think get overlooked today by younger fans of prog/classic rock. The "core"seven albums are all excellent for the most part but I would give In Search of the Lost Chord(with its very metal album cover), Our Children's Children and Seventh Sojourn all perfect scores. Some splendid songwriting that always manages to be catchy and colorful pop while containing a very haunting atmosphere with the mellotron. I would say the latter album is the best among them.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 am 

My candidates would be:

Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Pink Floyd, anything from The Dark Side of the Moon through The Wall
Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation
Van Halen's s/t
Anything by Swans, but especially The Great Annihilator
Porcupine Tree, Fear of a Blank Planet (definitely more metal influence in that one, but mostly prog rock, and in my opinion it's one of the best prog albums of the 2000's)

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 pm 

P.O.S - Never Better

He's easily one of my favorite rappers. Every track on this album is perfect. Great, social conscious lyrics and awesome beats varying from super chill to aggressive and punk influenced

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Szuletett

Symphonic arrangements woven into crazy breakcore. "Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole" is another favorite Id consider giving a %100

Rome - Flowers From Exile

Really, really moving neofolk/martial industrial. Something about this album has an impact on me and I cant listen tobit and not get emotional

Indian Summer - Discography

Not a hell of a lot of songs for a whole discography but its really cool emo.

Giraffes? Giraffes! - More Skin With Milk-Mouth

Its really bad ass math rock. Thats it.

Graf Orlock - All 3 parts of the Destination Time trilogy

I love this band so much it hurts

Doomtree - False Hopes

More awesome hip-hop featuring P.O.S. Every rapper in the group is great and I love the beats on this one.

The Vandelles - Del Black Aloha

Its surf influenced shoegaze and its great

There are more but those are all i can think of off the bat

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:14 pm 

I don't know if I mentioned it already, but the '59 sound by the Gaslight Anthem. So much great stuff about this album. The vocalist in my band turned me onto them about a year ago, and right now, there songs are my life. The only way to describe them is to say they're essentially the Jersey shore put into music; the real one, the one that Springsteen talks about, not the clubscene bullshit that it's known for now because of MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Leo9HSaGQ&feature=relmfu

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:57 pm 

Nice to see the love for Bad Religion in this thread. BR were one of the hugest bands for me in my days as a young lad and probably shaped me for the better in ways I can't even articulate. All their albums from Suffer through Generator are wonderful and to this day I can scarcely listen to any of them without crying.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:37 pm 

I can't think of a non-metal album I'd give 100%...there's a few I'd give close - 90 somethings. Probably because I've been listening to metal for ~14 years and the only other music I listen to with even half the devotion is folk and that's only been for 3 years.

The albums I'd give 90+ to are...
Albannach's self titled
Brana Keterna - Jod
Fejd - Storm (they are on the archives last I checked...not sure why)
Eluveitie - The Arcane Dominion
Folkearth - Minstrels by the River
Wardruna - Runaljod - Gap Var Ginnunga (this would probably be the closest; a 97 or 98)

Nahui_Ejekatl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:24 am 

For me it has to be:

Radio Activity - Kraftwerk.

Mr Ferocious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:07 pm 

Runnin' Wild and No Guts, No Glory- Airbourne. I'm a sucker for some kickass, booze-soaked rock n roll, and these deliver.

Lynyrd Skynyrd's debut is a glorious mix of country and rock, and made me appreciate country music (but not enough to love it).

Edmund Blackadder

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I would nominate a couple of punk bands: Jerry's Kids "Is This My World?" and MDC's "Millions of Dead Cops" are pretty darn near close to perfect for me. Not one single weak track on either one of them.

I'd go for The Exploited: 'The Massacre'

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:26 pm 

Radiohead - Ok Computer

I remember hearing this when I was six (when it came out first). My sister was into them at the time. Really love the spacey vibe in Subterranean Homesick Alien. Paranoid Android and Karma Police... classics.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 pm 

Power, Corruption, and Lies by New Order. Such a great album and a great group.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:39 pm 

Mr Ferocious wrote:
Runnin' Wild and No Guts, No Glory- Airbourne. I'm a sucker for some kickass, booze-soaked rock n roll, and these deliver.

I have to agree with Runnin' Wild, but it's probably too close to metal to be in this thread IMO. Plus Airbourne plays metal festivals and tours with metal bands... it's basically AC/DC meets Metallica. But yeah, their first album is a freaking masterpiece, derivative or not.

I probably wouldn't list bands like Fejd and Wardruna here either... they might not be metal, but when their fanbase is 100% metal fans? That kinda compromises it for me. I'd probably extend this to Ulver's electronic stuff as well - Perdition City is a brill album but the vast majority of Ulver's fans are metalheads.

And the Exploited has been more or less a thrash band for years. Fuck, I've negative nancied all over the place here haha

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:39 pm 

Bruce Springsteen: Darkness on the Edge of Town. Pretty much the moment he found his voice, and because he hadn't yet settled into his 80s mode there are some really unusual gems on there (like 'Adam Raised a Cain'). Bleak but compulsively listenable.

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells. He's never made another album as good, but the soundscapes in there are truly amazing.

Dave Alvin: Eleven Eleven. A veteran of alt-country at his best.

Bob Marley and the Wailers: Kaya. Calling it more relaxed and less political than earlier albums misses the point: to Bob Marley, love and revolution can't be separated.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:46 pm 

Dux_Saxoniae wrote:
Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells. He's never made another album as good, but the soundscapes in there are truly amazing.

Maybe not 100%, but it's a right-on album! Certainly a 90%.

Sigur Rós' ( ) for me, and Hawkwind's In Search of Space along with Dark Side of the Moon by Floyd. Big Calm by Morcheeba deserves an honourable mention, along with Superjudge by Monster Magnet, Blues for the Red Sun by Kyuss and Powerage by AC/DC. I guess I've always loved Music for the Jilted Generation by Prodigy, too, and Hawkwind's Warrior on the Edge of Time - they all get mid-90s.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:41 pm 

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Might be the greatest recording of all time.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 43  Next