Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:45 pm 

Yowza. I implore anyone who loves OKC but haven't delved into the rest to do so.

Radiohead were one of the first real bands I got into. It was them, Pink Floyd and the Beatles. Long before I got into metal. Metal kind of came later on in life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:48 pm 

I've heard a bunch of their songs, but not full albums front to back. Lots of music and so little time comparatively.

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 pm 

yeah. Definitely not the type of band you'd pocket a few songs here and there with. The songs are elevated within the context of the album. They were never really a singles band (even though they have a lot of great singles.) Total album band.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm 

brainbomb wrote:
Huh! Interesting. I do prefer the stuff they did after a lot more and I've been listening to OKC for, sheesh, probably close to 20 years on and off now so it's drilled into my head. I guess having it be a divisive album is surprising to me because I associate that more with the Bends. King of Limbs was a let down for me NO PUN INTENDED. It just felt sort of incomplete, I guess? "Little by Little" and "Codex" are so good, though.

Obviously Codex is the high point, and overall In Rainbows is the better album. Any Radiohead album has a similar tendency for having very irritating moments, but Ok Computer has them constantly, with almost nothing but mind-numbingly boring, vapid emptiness for balance.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:46 pm 

So so so many. One off the top of the dome is definitely Cage's Movies for the Blind, it put a lot of things in perspective for me as it had Chris Palko (Cage) dealing with an addiction to pcp of all drugs and him acting all violent and shit even though he really wasn't. Beautiful album that if you look at where the dude is in his life now, it amazes me he even made that album. Life has meaning folks.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 am 

one of my absolute fave albums outside metal is definitely parellel lines by the true fucking BLONDIE. what an amazing record, clearly the peak in their discography. its beauty lies in the wonderfully crafted single songs, there's not a single filler track on it. truly some of the best songwriting ever. I can't think of a single pop/rock/whatever album that is so perfect from start to finish. seriously, guys!
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
one of my absolute fave albums outside metal is definitely parellel lines by the true fucking BLONDIE. what an amazing record, clearly the peak in their discography. its beauty lies in the wonderfully crafted single songs, there's not a single filler track on it. truly some of the best songwriting ever. I can't think of a single pop/rock/whatever album that is so perfect from start to finish. seriously, guys!

Parallel Lines was my first Blondie and I agree, it's fantastic. I'm more partial to Eat to the Beat though

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 am 

eat to the beat is already kind of a mixed bag. for example, the title song is rather weak in my book, but then again it has the arguably best blondie track ever (accidents will never happen) plus some more very strong songs (dreaming, union city blue etc.). I just love how consistent parallel lines is quality-wise.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:22 am 

I like the title track! I'm a sucker for pogo new wavey punky shit, though. "Dreaming" and "Union City Blues" are so so good though. "Atomic" is maybe my favorite Blondie song, too.

I Hate Bonobos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 pm 

None would get 100%, but those are the most near perfect.

Yes: Close to the Edge and Roundabout.
Tangerine Dream: Stratosfear.
Lord Wind: Atlantean Monument.

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:25 am 

There are a few non-metal albums that I would give 100% or at least 95%. If anybody wants more of an explanation as to why I hold these albums in such a high regard feel free to ask.
Turbonegro - Ass Cobra
Slowdive - Slowdive EP
Perturbator - Dangerous Days
Dynatron - Escape Velocity
Ladytron - Witching Hour
Calabrese - They Call Us Death
Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures
Christian Death - Only Theater of Pain
Hexvessel - When We are Death
Hexvessel - No Holier Temple

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:55 am 

I never listened to much Blondie I always assumed they were corny 80's buttrock. I shall check out Parallel Lines. Perturbator's Dangerous Days is a fairly solid pick. Some of the best synthwave the genre has to offer.

Sean Price - Monkey Barz

This album is the epitome of thuggin nyc rap. The production is steller, the punchlines are steller, the flow and lyricism is godlike. It's so perfect to me, Sean Price really owned the game after this and continued to release gold. I really like how he reinvented himself as an older man and fucking slayed everyone. P!

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:24 am 

oh no way, Blondie were originators of punk rock, a CBGB staple. I mean, they didn't stay that way forever, they eventually shed it for a more pop/new wave direction but, I think that shit's great too because the band just has a certain swagger about 'em. Debbie Harry is just the coolest.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:45 am 

Man, I really don't get Hexvessel at all. I tried getting into when we are death and it just seemed way too... Like a band dressing up as hippies for halloween? I'm having trouble describing how it made me feel. :lol: It's actually the same problem I had with Blood Ceremony's newest, although I thought that one had better hooks.

kittensofdoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:12 pm 

squidrick9042 wrote:
There are a few non-metal albums that I would give 100% or at least 95%. If anybody wants more of an explanation as to why I hold these albums in such a high regard feel free to ask.

I have a question. Why no music before 1996? You know music existed before that, right?

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 pm 

^that Slowdive EP and Christian Death album predate 1996

surprised that there are so few non-metal albums you'd think are 5/5 considering how versatile your non-metal album list is!

kittensofdoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 pm 

Here are my 100% albums

Gombert - Motets
Bach - Brandenburg Concertos
Mahler - Symphony Nos 5, 7 and 9
Beethoven - Symphony Nos 6 and 91
Schumann - Violin Sonata 1 in A minor
Telemann - Tafelmusik
Smetana - Ma Vlast
Dvorak - Symphony No 9, Slavonic Dances
Bruckner - Symphony No 4
Brahms - Symphony No 4
Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen
Debussy - Images & Estampes
Bartók - String Quartet No 3
Gorecki - Symphony No 3

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:25 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Man, I really don't get Hexvessel at all. I tried getting into when we are death and it just seemed way too... Like a band dressing up as hippies for halloween? I'm having trouble describing how it made me feel. :lol: It's actually the same problem I had with Blood Ceremony's newest, although I thought that one had better hooks.

I think they are a hit and miss band for a lot of people and this is about accurate for the range of responses I've gotten from people I've shown Hexvessel to. I didn't really care for the music video for Drugged Up On The Universe which does totally remind me of people dressing as hippies for Halloween but the song itself is solid. The songs on that album that I really like are Cosmic Truth and Green Gold. Now that I think of it though I would probably give the album closer to a 95 since I don't care for the song When I Am Dead.

I never really got too into Blood Ceremony but I did see them live with Kylesa a few years back and they put on a pretty good show.

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 pm 

kittensofdoom wrote:
squidrick9042 wrote:

I have a question. Why no music before 1996? You know music existed before that, right?

As mentioned the Slowdive EP and the Christian Death album are pre 96. I kinda posted that quickly without thinking too far back. I would definitely throw in some stuff like Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' In The Moonlight, Miles Davis- Kind of Blue, Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream, and probably a few more old jazz and blues albums I can't think of off the top of my head. The thing is there is a gap around the 70s-80s where the majority of my favorite albums from that era are metal and a lot of the non-metal I love from around then is mostly on a song by song basis and not so much albums as a whole. I'm sure I could find something if I dug around a bit.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm 

Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret.

This album is actually incredible, and easily one of the contenders for best alternative rock album ever!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:09 pm 

I don't think I've ever mentioned this, so here it goes: Dave Navarro's only solo album (so far): "Trust No One". One of the greatest Alternative Rock albums ever, and believe it or not, far superior to anything Jane's Addiction ever put out.

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:19 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret.

This album is actually incredible, and easily one of the contenders for best alternative rock album ever!

big fan of Perfect From Now On

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 am 

Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe

Sonically, it's radio-friendly electro-pop. Lyrically it's an interesting album - lots of quite cutting social / personal commentary in between the tangerine synthesisers. Gun is an incredibly strong son (at least in my reading) about a beaten-up girl that's decided to have her life back, and at the same time get back at her tormentor. That it's delivered with a beat you can safely play in public just rounds it out for me. The singer's voice is also a spec-perfect fit for this kind of music - and she can pull it off live !

Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See

This music sounds like evenings. Comfortable evenings, with a good warm fire, good food, and a slow dance with someone that you really don't want to let go. It's not angsty in the slightest - it just feels like a warm winter spent indoors doing nice things. I'd recommend this to anyone as 'in bed resting' music.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 am 

Yeah that Chvrches album is pretty much great front to back. It's too bad the new album wasn't nearly as great.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:50 pm 

Perfect From Now On is an easy 100% from me. One of my friends won't give built to spill a proper chance just because he's been into modest mouse for years and he thinks they aint special. I slap him silly with my copy of it, I try to beat it into his head.

In all seriousness, it's the definitive "indie rock" album for me. So much emotion comes through in the songwriting, I can't see liking indie and not liking this. The first time I heard I Would Hurt A Fly my mind was absolutely blown out of proportion. And then getting into rap afterwards and hearing Cage sample it for Ballad of Worms made my toes curl. The whole album is a emotional journey that you owe yourself, it's always a treat to spin it and lose myself in it. Keep it Like a Secret is really good too, but to me it always was somewhat in the shadow of it's predecessor. It's kinda like Sad Wings and Sin After Sin. Sin After Sin is fucking amazing but Sad Wings is a masterpiece.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 am 

100% is probably a bit more than I'd give, but if anyone else here digs the self titled Rage Against The Machine album as much as me, please speak up!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Obviously Codex is the high point, and overall In Rainbows is the better album. Any Radiohead album has a similar tendency for having very irritating moments, but Ok Computer has them constantly, with almost nothing but mind-numbingly boring, vapid emptiness for balance.

In search of a new vocalist for Gloaming. Please send PM's.

Loving the Built to Spill love just recently on this page! One of my favorite bands. Weird, though, because everything about Perfect From Now On should make it my favorite BTS album, but I gotta hand that nod to Keep It Like A Secret. "Carry the Zero" is everything, and the intro to "Time Trap" is quite clearly the greatest bit of music ever.

Instead of just posting lists of things (hell, I've probably already done that in this thread several times because my memory is dogshit) I'll just post random things that come to mind that I've been digging lately.

Huun-Huur-Tu (with The Bulgarian Voices - Angelite) - Fly, Fly My Sadness - I've been listening to this regularly for a couple of years now...I have this sort of go-to playlist for wandering around beautiful natural or scenic places, and I kind of try to time it so that Moonsorrow's Verisakeet ends right as I get to the place I was headed toward, then turn on this album and just kinda relax/take in the scenery. Basically it's a blend of Huun-Huur-Tu's Mongolian throat singing (and more energetic lead vocals), sparse use of their folk instrumentation, and lots of fantastically haunting vocal lines from the Bulgarian Voices choir. I like Huun-Huur-Tu on their own as well, but I'm not as big a fan of the more playful of their songs, preferring the more somber/majestic stuff by far, and this album focuses entirely on that side of their sound. Just perfect in every way.

The Black Heart Procession - 1 and 2 - Don't get me wrong, 3 is also good, I just think the first two are a bit more perfect. I've listened to this band for a long time but only in the past few years has it really started to win me over as being among the very best indie rock stuff from the 90's. It's basically dark, romantic, melodramatic Americana. There's dreadful pianos, singing saws, sparse guitar, Pall Jenkins' weird high vocals...the debut album has the word "Heart" in seven out of eleven tracks, but man, this stuff is just totally perfect. Definitely moody album stuff, as single songs taken out of context don't seem to inspire as much.

HUM - Downward is Heavenward - I swear I've put this album in this thread like five times, but search says no. Anyway this is basically a bunch of nerds who are really good at writing lyrics that sound like a nerd who's read a lot of T.S. Eliot and science journals making indecipherable but great word salad, and the music is basically Gish/Siamese Dream-era Smashing Pumpkins but even fucking huger and more muscular, with plenty of "yep, these guys definitely dig metal" moments in some of the riffs and leads. There's no pretension or overblown theatrics like the Pumpkins had so often, but the songwriting is just phenomenal and the giant stacks of Orange amps make this some of the heaviest and very best alt-rock of the 90's.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

In search of a new vocalist for Gloaming. Please send PM's.

:lol: Hey, we all know that your liking something outside of metal is a reliable indicator of it being absolute trash.

brainbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 am 

Kid A > OKC > Amnesiac > HTTT > In Rainbows (maybe?) > The Bends > Pablo Honey > TKOL

Yeah, I like Pablo Honey more than TKOL, I'm fuckin' CRAZY.

(Really, it's only because of "Blow Out.")

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:09 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Loving the Built to Spill love just recently on this page! One of my favorite bands. Weird, though, because everything about Perfect From Now On should make it my favorite BTS album, but I gotta hand that nod to Keep It Like A Secret. "Carry the Zero" is everything, and the intro to "Time Trap" is quite clearly the greatest bit of music ever.

"Carry the Zero" is just soooooo good. "Broken Chairs" is a perfect closer too.

Edit:
Also, I don't think Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes has been mentioned here, has it?
That album is insanely good. "Good Feeling" always destroys me emotionally. And those guys where still in HS when they released it?? wtf

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:42 am 

Funny Built to Spill is coming up, since I just started getting into them.

How about some love for Guided by Voices. Because 'Bee Thousand' is an easy 100% album. I love it so much right now I hate it. Its too good, and its making me feel cynical and late to the party.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:36 pm 

Pink Floyd: The Division Bell

- I know this receives a lot of hate but never understood why. Of the Waters led era('71 - '83), only Wish You Were Here was a masterpiece. Animals was good because it was dark but the Wall is overplayed, while Dark Side, Meddle and Obscured By Clouds were good to great albums that had some duds. The Final Cut & A Momentary Lapse of Reason were both - in essence - solos album by Waters & Gilmour, respectively, so this stands out as a much greater artistic statement.

- I am more partial to the Gilmour era('86 - present) because I was too young to attend any concert Floyd did during the Waters era. However I saw Floyd twice during the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour and twice during the Pulse tour. The two Pulse gigs remain my favorite two concert experiences.
- - Of the two Pulse gigs, my only complaint was the lack of a Marooned performance. It has been since first listen my favorite Floyd song and it's pretty telling that of the 100+ songs in the Floyd catalogue, it remains their lone Grammy nomination and win.

Rik Emmett: 10 Invitations From the Mistress of Mr. E

Rik Emmett: Swing Shift

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:50 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
Funny Built to Spill is coming up, since I just started getting into them.

How about some love for Guided by Voices. Because 'Bee Thousand' is an easy 100% album. I love it so much right now I hate it. Its too good, and its making me feel cynical and late to the party.

Oh, absolutely. A band I was in during high school covered "Smothered In Hugs." One thing that I really dig about GBV is how they're one of the few bands I really like who are really disjointed. From one song to the next on almost every album is kinda a jarring shift in approach and even production, but it always manages to fit together really well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:30 pm 

A few to add to this thread that haven't been mentioned yet, instead of rehashing some that have:

Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963
The definition of having an audience (and backing band) in the palm of your hand. Sam doesn't need or want you to be engaged in his performance. He is going do DIE if you aren't.

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Saw some people mention Darkness & Nebraska. Both wonderfully raw records. But the epic Born To Run (with the four corner stones: Thunder Road, Backstreets, Born To Run & Jungleland) is a classic.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Sounds like an endless summer night to me.

The Game - Doctor's Advocate
The album that got me into Hip-Hop and rap. Classic sounding west coast. Some vicious songs on this.

The National - High Violet

Probably one of my favourite indie/alternative records ever.

Nick Cave - Henry's Dream
I saw other Nick Cave albums mentioned (Which I agree with) This is one of my personal favourites.

Ray Charles - Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music
Hits galore! Great arrangements. A complete album in a time when so many artists were more singles based.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Sometimes I can't believe human beings made something so perfect.

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Fun songs (Cecilia, Keep The Customer Satisfied) perfectly balanced with songs to devastate you (The Boxer)

Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours

Speaking of being devastated... This album and Frank's companion piece "No One Cares" (dubbed his 'Suicide' album) is the crooner at his best. Long before the big hits.

I'm sure I'll think of more right after I hit "submit", but yeah, I tried to ONLY mention ones that hadn't been. (Because I agree with so many already posted)

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:53 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

:cool:

Argus by Wishbone Ash gets it from me. The S/T also. One of the original twin lead bands with awesome singing, cool tripped out songs and incredible guitar playing. Andy Powell still tours around and sounds great to this day--saw him play two sets back in 2014 and it was unreal.

Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Needs no explanation.

Elegant Gypsy by Al DiMeola. Shit, I might even include Kiss My Axe and Electric Rendezvous in there too.

Would undoubtably have to say Friday Night in San-Francisco by John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia, Al DiMeola. One of the best guitar records of all time.

Romantic Warrior and Light As A Feather by Return To Forever.

Primal Magic By Strunz & Farah.

It's always guitar shit for me. I wish I could include a record by Queen in here but all my favourites of theirs have at least one shitty track.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

lloyd93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:35 pm 

Off the top of my head, I would say All Pigs Must Die by Death In June or Ins dunkle Land by Darkwood.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:56 pm 

Good call on Born to Run.

TheSouthernViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:28 pm 

Pink Floyd's The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:29 pm 

lloyd93 wrote:
Off the top of my head, I would say All Pigs Must Die by Death In June or Ins dunkle Land by Darkwood.

All pigs must die? Really?

The first half of the album is great, but the second half is easily dismissed. The petulant nature of the exercise also counts against it IMO. I'm a rabid DI6 completist, but APMD is one of the very few I have never bothered to purchase on vinyl.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:54 am 

jimbies wrote:
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

I can't think of a better description! :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 43  Next