Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jiggy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:57 pm 

License to Ill by the Beastie Boys
The Smiths self titled album, possibly meat is murder too.
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters. More mature than Fresh Fruit... but still intelligent and agressive as f**k.
The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
also the specials self titled album too

I have quite a wide taste as you can see. Anyone care to back me up on any of that?

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 am 

Strike Anywhere- Change Is A Sound. I wouldn't change a single thing about this album. The melodies are strong, the lyrics (For me) are excellent, and it just seems to scratch a certain itch flawlessly.

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:41 pm 

Ive always loved Marilyn Mansons Anichrist Superstar. His other stuff is not that good

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:10 pm 

Die Kreuzen - 'October File'

Been listening to this a lot after over a decade of a hiatus and damn is it amazing. Their first album was psychotic hardcore, but this followup added metal and psychedelic elements to create one brilliant and hard to define release, since it's a bit too "alternative" to be labeled crossover, yet they are far from what would be considered alternative, at least concerning this release. It's fantastic with excellent musicianship with a few songs boasting some weird time signatures. I can't even pick a favorite track, but if forced, "Among The Ruins" is just perfection.

Doom777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:28 pm 

Roky Erickson-bootleg sounding,but amazing
Neptune towers-fenriz side project from the 90s(moog,synths,ambience)
Misfits-Danzig,graves era
Doors

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:05 pm 

Definitely Giles Corey - S/T
This is one of the darkest, most disturbing bands I've ever heard. And most of the music is only made up of a clean guitar, sung vocals, and almost happy melodies and chords. The man behind it tried to kill himself, and Giles Corey is his way of documenting his search to see if life is worth living. This is, by far, the most brutally honest music I've ever heard, and at times it can be awkward hearing this guy lay open his soul so completely.

Les Discrets - "Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées," and "Ariettes oubliées..."
Since the MA doesn't consider them metal, I'll throw these guys in there too. They're kind of like an Alcest with a much more grounded, earthy feel. They showcase such a diverse set of emotions (sorrow, hope, melancholy, even content) that feels much more real than if they had just focused on depressing stuff. The production is also some of the best you'll ever hear, it perfectly matches the various moods of the band.

DreamTheater3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 am 

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:17 am 

I never give perfect scores to anything as a matter of principle ("From the crooked timber of humanity nothing straight is ever made" --Immanuel Kant, and all that), but I would definitely give over 90 to Kansas' Leftoverture, which is definitely my favorite prog rock album. Some stunning riffs and absolutely beautiful melodies on there, and you can hear the tremendous influence it had on progressive metal--much more, I think, than the really big British prog rock bands. There's a lot more Kansas in Dream Theater's first two albums than Yes, ELP, or Pink Floyd.

I'd really like to hear a metal cover of "Carry on My Wayward Son" that's not shit one day. Yngwie Malmsteen and Stryper are not worthy.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 am 

Lets see, this list changes a lot as I get older but now I'd say...

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Animals
Led Zeppelin - IV
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Van Halen - Van Halen ( I like Women & Children First more but this is no bad songs just a list of classics and near classics )
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction ( probably the best hard rock album of all time, too bad they never came close again )
Rush - 2112 ( A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves are close )
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

A few of the Scott era AC/DC albums come close, the pure attitude on those albums is amazing, but never are able to quite get there. Highway to Hell, High Voltage, & Let There Be Rock are all mid 90's though.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:20 am 

Ba Zuulizx Karoth wrote:
Ive always loved Marilyn Mansons Anichrist Superstar. His other stuff is not that good

Yep. I like songs off other albums but none are a total package like that one. Great album. Mechanical Animals came close but not quite.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:14 am 

Have you guy's heard Cocteau Twins - Heaven or las Vegas, Kate Bush - Hounds of love?. I mean, fuck pop music, but those albums are amazing, especially the Cocteau's one.

Emmm, also Swans - The Seer, White light from the mouth of infinity = AWESOME.

Last edited by Aydross on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:26 am 

Dead Kennedys - In God We Trust, Inc
Led Zeppelin IV
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience And Grace
Iggy and The Stooges - Raw Power
And while i feel blasphemous for admitting it, I love Old Crows/Young Cardinals by Alexisonfire...

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:07 pm 

Fleet Foxes - s/t

To me, this is quite possible the best album ever... absolutely flawless. The subtle, perfect instrumentation of guitars and deep, booming drums blend perfectly with the soaring vocal harmonies (Robin Pecknold is totally like, one of the best singers ever guys), from the echoing choruses of "White Winter Hymnal" and "Blue Ridge Mountains" to the stark, beautiful minimalism of songs such as "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song", "Meadowlarks" and "Your Protector", Fleet Foxes manage to create an album that despite being musically rooted in the past, have still managed to create an album effortlessly original and timeless.

Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine

I'm a massive fan of "really good fuckin' noise" and bass guitars. Combining these two therefore seems like a really good idea. Thankfully, Death From Above 1979 have done so perfectly, creating perhaps the greatest bass tone I've ever heard, mixing groove and aggression like no other, the tracks "Little Girl" and "Pull Out" being in my opinion the greatest examples of this, the latter holding the award for "Best Song About Ejaculating On Your Girl's Chest" of all time.

Jiggy wrote:

The Specials are the fucking bomb.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:19 pm 

I wouldn't say I would rate this album 100%, but I really enjoy City and Colour's album "Little Hell." I'm not usually into this kind of indie/acoustic/alternative stuff, but my girlfriend played em in the car recently and it 'clicked' with me. It's a really enjoyable album.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:30 am 

ghost223 wrote:
I wouldn't say I would rate this album 100%, but I really enjoy City and Colour's album "Little Hell." I'm not usually into this kind of indie/acoustic/alternative stuff, but my girlfriend played em in the car recently and it 'clicked' with me. It's a really enjoyable album.

Indie rock for me is really hit and miss. Some of it I can't stand, having the structure of pop music without any good hooks (vampire weekend) especially when it makes an attempt at rock (arcade fire's month of may is a really bad example of this, and I love how their band has 15 unusual instruments or whatever and you can hear NONE of them) or being meandering and devoid of enjoyment. A lot of the stuff in the 'indie folk' genre I tend to like though such as the fleet foxes, the decembrists and bon iver.

There are two post rock albums i'd give 100% though, both in the same style. Intense, monumental and epic tracks with some classical influence giving a feeling of triumph when the LP ends. Mono's 'hymn to the immortal wind' and yndi halda's 'enjoy eternal bliss'.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:36 pm 

I'd prefer not to look back to see if someone else has mentioned this album, due to the thread being 28 pages.

Brian Eno-Ambient I: Music For Airports
Minimalist music is extremely easy to make but extremely difficult to make well. So many ambient albums miss the mark, and the atmosphere and mood suffers for it. There are literal hordes of generic ambient artists who patch together something in 5 minutes and push it out in public.

That said, the creators of modern electronic ambient really need to take a step back and listen to this album again. No doubt, everyone even marginally into the genre has heard at least some of it, and its influence on the genre is undeniable. In my opinion, it is the perfect essence of ambient. There are sweeping soundscapes that build an atmosphere rather than work against it, it's packed with subtleties that even 1,000 listens might not pick up, and most importantly Eno sticks to the basis of musical theory and actually creates a work of music with rhythm, melody, harmony, and dynamics. Combine all of that with a naturally talented individual and you have a masterpiece that trumped all others before it in the genre and is unlikely to be matched ever again. It's a piece of fine art. If you haven't listened to it, go do that right this second. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 am 

I also have to vouch for The Smiths and Morrissey, it's what DSBM would sound if it ever became 'pop/indie' truly the kind of music you don't take with you to a rave or party.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:32 am 

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk, Clear Spot

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:44 pm 

Can--Tago Mago
Iggy and the Stooges-Fun House
Red Hot Chilli Peppers--Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Blood Sugar Sex Magick
Hunger-Strictly Hunger
Dead Kennedys-Frankenchrist
Pink Floyd-The Wall
The Downer Rock Genocide Compilation

There's probably others that I'm not thinking of at the moment, there's FNM and Soundgarden albums I'd include and I don't consider either band metal but they are on the archives, so be it.

Catherine Wheel's "Happy Days" might also be close to 100%, I've always loved that album despite not being much into their other stuff that I've heard.

Mrtvovina
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:27 am 

faith +1

jim hendrix - band of gypsys

Really hard to say, I don't find enaugh time to listen all the metal I want
So I dont spend time on non metal music ( unless there are some good guitar solos or rifs in it )

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:05 am 

For me, the artists who get closest to perfect scores are Radiohead and Sigur Ros. I get the feeling Godspeed! might get there too, but I've only just gotten into them recently.

As much as I like 'OK Computer', 'Kid A', 'Amnesiac' and 'Hail to the Thief', my favourites are 'In Rainbows' and 'King of Limbs' - these two are just glorious from start to end. In my opinion, Radiohead just got better and better, and really found their niche.

'()' is, maybe, my only 100% album. It's just out of this world. 'takk' comes very close.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 am 

Arcade Fire-Neon Bible

This album is incredibly emotional without it being overkill, very thoughtfully and intentionally nuanced with dramatic lyrical themes and motifs, and just an overall powerful, big sounding piece. I could write about Neon Bible all day. I love it.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:40 am 

Hawkwind's albums of Doremi and Hall of the Mountain Grill. Those albums fucking will blow your mind.

SisuBerserk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:08 pm 

Kingston Wall - III - Tri-LoGy
Second best album ever made. 71 minutes of great psychedelic prog rock. First ten songs are like one long journey, you can't say the exact moment when song changes to another. After those ten tracks there's 3 independent tracks, with last one, The Real Thing, clocking at 18 minutes. Second best song ever written. First four minutes of that song is ambient intro and then the main riff, such psychedelia!

Hurriganes - Roadrunner
Now this is rock'n'roll! Almost every song is considered classic (at least here in Finland). It Ain't What You Do, Get On, I Will Stay etc. etc. I LOVE that album.

Los Bastardos Finlandeses - The Day of the Dead
Heavily Motörhead influenced hard rock. Best album of 2013 so far, and probably will be still at the end of the year.

Other 100% non-metal albums include:
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Boston - Boston
Europe - The Final Countdown
Kingston Wall - I (another excellent psychedelic/prog rock album)
Peer Günt - Buck the Odds
Triumph - Rock'n'Roll Machine (Title track is insane speed metal-ish hard rock)
Whitesnake - Lovehunter
Whitesnake - Come An' Get It
Whitesnake - Saints And Sinners
Whitesnake - Slide It In
Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue
ZZ Top - Afterburner

Whitesnake is pretty much my favorite non-metal band (along with Kingston Wall), beating most of metal bands. Only Venom, Motörhead, Impaled Nazarene and few others are better.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:19 am 

Anarkist Attack by Anti Cimex is a really awesome, raw "kängpunk" album from sweden. Really awesome, definitely deserving of 100%.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 am 

Going to have to put Titus Andronicus' The Monitor here as well. Who could've thought that an hour long punk concept album about the American Civil War that ends with a bagpipe solo could be so perfect?

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:12 am 

Not sure about giving it 100%, but Fejd's Eifur is beautiful top-flight Nordic folk. So pure and natural, it practically has healing properties. Seriously. Next time you've got a head cold, piss on the pharmaceuticals and let Fejd clear you right up. Damn fine music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:55 pm 

The Beatles - Rubber Soul is just pure magic. Or pure sex - whichever euphemism you want to use for great. It is great. Every song is just a masterwork, with even the weakest ones still being incredibly well done in their own right. "Drive My Car," "Norwegian Wood," "Nowhere Man," "What Goes On," "In My Life," the seminal "If I Needed Someone"...shit, this is just timeless stuff.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:06 pm 

Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Might be the definitive G-Funk album. Every track is killer. Dre's flow is smooth and soothing, much like Snoop's. Packed full of laughs and just an all-around mood-booster.

Androcell - Emotivision
Psybient done right. Lush textures that ebb and flow. I could die to this album.

skwid79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 am 

Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist
Bring me the Horizon - count your Blessings (after that that kinda suck)
Pennywise - Full Circle
Circle Jerks - Wild in the Streets

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:06 pm 

ATMOSPHERE-You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
VEKS & Inspectah Morze-Looking Up From The Gutter
FRANK SINATRA-My Way
NERO-Symphony 2808
GHOSTFACE KILLAH & ADRIAN YOUNGE-12 Reasons to Die

Just a few.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:08 pm 

Jiggy wrote:
License to Ill by the Beastie Boys
The Smiths self titled album, possibly meat is murder too.
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters. More mature than Fresh Fruit... but still intelligent and agressive as f**k.
The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

I have quite a wide taste as you can see. Anyone care to back me up on any of that?

+1 Internets for you. all great albums.
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:50 pm 

Adding some electronic and such:
Múm - Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today Is Ok- very odd but i like it a lot, would probably work very well in a movie
Burzum - Hlidskjalf- self-explanatory, a masterpiece by the master (the crazy one)
Dead Can Dance - Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun, Serpent's Egg- obligatory neoclassical dark wave album
Ulver - Silencing The Singing- seems to be overlooked a lot, but a very good album

Last edited by Celtic Frosted Flakes on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am 

Cardiacs - On Land and In The Sea

There are more ideas in one song on this album than most bands have on a lifetime of albums!

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:50 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The Beatles - Rubber Soul is just pure magic. Or pure sex - whichever euphemism you want to use for great. It is great. Every song is just a masterwork, with even the weakest ones still being incredibly well done in their own right. "Drive My Car," "Norwegian Wood," "Nowhere Man," "What Goes On," "In My Life," the seminal "If I Needed Someone"...shit, this is just timeless stuff.

Seconding this.
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Middle Brother - S/T
Other things I can't remember.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:42 pm 

I can't remember if I said Tenhi - Kauan in my original reply. So just in case:

Tenhi - Kauan

Colerne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 pm 

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium and Radiohead - OK Computer, are perfect, in my opinion.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:15 am 

Some more electronic and such:
Acylum - Karzinom old school mid-tempo dark elektro with modern sound
à;GRUMH - We Were á;GRUMH... And You Were Not! the pioneers of belgian EBM

Body_Hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:24 am 

Syven's Corpus Christi is amazing; definitely recommended for neofolk fans. The choral vocals give me chills.

Disinterested Handjob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 am 

There Be Squabbles Ahead by Stolen Babies, Angel Dust by Faith No More, and Concentration by Machines of Loving Grace are well and truly 100% in my eyes. VIViSectVI by Skinny Puppy comes close too.

http://disinterestedhandjob.bandcamp.com

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 43  Next