Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:20 pm 

Maybe in later episodes he comes to grip with the fact that it's a superpower? Early on people ask him about it and he explains that it's just solid crime-solving intuition. Basically he just "gets inside their heads" and imagines the worst shit possible then that turns out to be the case. I mean, the flashes the show actually gives us seem like some sort of psychic power, but I don't get the impression the plotting is subtle enough that it's establishing that he *is* psychic while having him live in denial about the nature of his gift/curse.

I don't know. I'm still going to keep up with it but so many elements of it don't do it for me. I'm at the point in season 1 now where I almost feel like the writers are trying to kill three birds with one stone: his wife was sort of a passive non-character, the show was growing too repetitive, and the show was too focused on Frank and is very...minimalist personality. So, they're introducing some plot lines with his wife. Plus the whole dread, doom and gloom are always just these little dialogues Frank and his wife have at the end of every episode. Something like, "Frank, why is the world so fucking fucked up?" "Because everyone's evil and the world is shit. Hopefully we can raise our daughter without the constant looming shadow of the brink of apocalypse so that she's not constantly on the verge of suicide like we are all the time." Like, holy shit, someone make a poop or dick joke already. Every episode is like a Shape of Despair music video.

re: Homeland:
Spoiler: show
I had totally forgotten about the boyfriend guy. My guess is that he's not in on anything or trying to sell secrets but rather just trying to sabotage Saul's career so that Meera will go back to him? Could be more sinister than that I guess.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:14 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
The comical aspect did fit into X-Files fairly well, for some reason. I guess it's the fact that Duchovny has a knack for delivering it and that he is kind of a kooky character.
That's correct. He's a kooky/comic relief character with some dramatic turns every few episodes. He has a witty comment or joke in every episode so he's clearly the comic relief of the show (apart from the odd appearance of The Lone Gunmen). As he's basically in every episode by nature X-Files is in part a comedy. Whereas Millennium there is none of that and to think otherwise is completely missing the point, it's played straight and deals with serious issues in a serious way, to expect some random jokester to pop up and make your funny bones tingle is beyond retarded. It's dark and doesn't sugar-coat any of the dark/awful things that are happening, it's basically a ride through hell. You either enjoy the fascinating black and white portrait it paints of the deranged/otherworldy/end times or you get off and watch something that suits your unflinching desperate comic-relief sensibilities.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 pm 

Jesus dude, could you have any more hostility for my appraisal of the show? I was going to bring up why this most recent episode of the show I watched was significantly better than any before it, but I'm not sure I really want to talk about the show with someone who gets so upset over stuff like this.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 pm 

Even the most serious TV drama I've seen, such as The Wire and Breaking Bad, have some form of humour (usually black humour) in them. There's nothing wrong with wanting a bit of that in drama TV. Volute is just being an arrogant douchebag.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:45 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Jesus dude, could you have any more hostility for my appraisal of the show? I was going to bring up why this most recent episode of the show I watched was significantly better than any before it, but I'm not sure I really want to talk about the show with someone who gets so upset over stuff like this.
Yeah not really. Forgive me if I react negatively to your shallow schoolyard bully judgement of the show. Firstly you completely ignored my answer of what Frank Black is yet answered MacMoney's assessment regarding his abilities, which is really rude in and of itself but also was a considerable chunk of why you disliked the show, secondly you brought up the point of searching for humour yet again as if the topic wasn't already discussed, you reiterated a point that is mostly baseless in determining if Millennium is good or not, especially with the first season, it's frankly moot. Added to that you've offered little else in the way of your judgement, it's all superficial without focusing on the actually story at hand. I don't care if you have a sudden change of heart, you firmly hammered away at the show with absolutely no constructive criticism in three separate posts without even finishing a season. The comedy being the prime reason you dislike it yet you've not even reached the episodes that feature it heavily.
Morrigan wrote:
Even the most serious TV drama I've seen, such as The Wire and Breaking Bad, have some form of humour (usually black humour) in them. There's nothing wrong with wanting a bit of that in drama TV.
There's nothing wrong with that of course but there is something wrong with using that as your sole argument against whatever you're watching. I don't expect gripping thought-provoking drama out of Family Guy, then give it harsh treatment if it doesn't meet that criteria and almost write it off entirely, and neither should anyone else.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:57 am 

Quote:
Forgive me if I react negatively to your shallow schoolyard bully judgement of the show.

iamntbatman, you hear that? You stop being a bully, you... meanie!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
Forgive me if I react negatively to your shallow schoolyard bully judgement of the show.

...iamntbatman, you hear that? You stop being a bully, you... meanie!

hurr durr you funny

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 am 

Here's some schoolyard bully for you: I responded to Mac because he's a cool guy, but I didn't respond to you because you're a stupid asshole who took my casual complaints about the episodes of the show I'd seen so far to be some critically damning reasons why it's absolute garbage. Did David Duchovny run over your dog, or something?

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:06 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Here's some schoolyard bully for you: I responded to Mac because he's a cool guy, but I didn't respond to you because you're a stupid asshole
Well, now I'm tremendously proud of myself for reacting the way I did. I had a feeling you were are pathetic cunt but this has made it more than apparent. You don't deserve any courteous behaviour and you kindly can kiss my middle finger. :finger:

Last edited by Morrigan on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
User was suspended for this post

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:12 am 

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 am 

rexxz wrote:
[img]watch-out-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here.jpg[/img]
Oh watch out, everyone, it's some random person who never posts in this thread trying desperately to be funny and likeable. You're so relevant and rampant with intelligence.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Here's some schoolyard bully for you: I responded to Mac because he's a cool guy, but I didn't respond to you because you're a stupid asshole
Well, now I'm tremendously proud of myself for reacting the way I did. I had a feeling you were are pathetic cunt but this has made it more than apparent. You don't deserve any courteous behaviour and you kindly can kiss my middle finger. :finger:

Someone needs to learn how to not suck at this interactive Internet thingie.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:22 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
rexxz wrote:
[img]watch-out-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here.jpg[/img]
Oh watch out, everyone, it's some random person who never posts in this thread trying desperately to be funny and likeable. You're so relevant and rampant with intelligence.

Yes, because "hurr durr" is the peak excellence of humor.

Also, it's "likability".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:23 am 

I had long stopped watching TV. These days, I just open TLC sometimes, and then some Al-Jazeera or something.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:35 am 

What the hell just happened here?

Morrigan wrote:
Even the most serious TV drama I've seen, such as The Wire and Breaking Bad, have some form of humour (usually black humour) in them. There's nothing wrong with wanting a bit of that in drama TV.

Speaking of the Wire, I know it's a favorite around these parts and so I recently picked it up. But for the life of me, I couldn't go beyond S01E02 :( I watched it perhaps thrice and each time, my interest waned and then I had other shit to do. Eventually, I gave up. Does it start off slow? Maybe I'll get back to it someday.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:37 am 

The Wire is great. It does have a slow start yes. By the end of the first season you get what the show is all about. It took me until like halfway through season one to really get hooked but suffice to say I've seen the show twice now in its entirety, really great stuff. Currently working on my second viewing of Breaking Bad as well.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:55 am 

The Wire is probably the most detailed TV show of all time. You can watch it so many times after your first run and still learn why characters made a certain decision, notice parallels/similarities between characters, etc.. Incredibly satisfying all around.

Just gonna get this out of the way if you start watching it again. Season 2 seems a bit weird to new viewers because there's less focus on the street level characters they grown attached to in season 1. I've even heard people recommend skipping it, but I highly suggest watching it. Season 2 is essentially the thesis to the entire show and it gives the show's message much more impact.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 am 

Ah, good to know it starts off slow. I'll get around to watching it sometime.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:16 am 

Yeah, I watched the first episode of The Wire 2-3 times before caring enough to keep going. Now it's one of my favorite shows.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:52 pm 

Yeah, definitely a slow start. Season 2 definitely fit well into the show's overall framework but it was a jarring transition from Season 1, and despite the story being pretty important I just didn't really like the longshoremen as characters anywhere near as much as I like the drug dealers.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:28 am 

Boardwalk Empire's season finale pissed me off. This whole seasons has been the pits compared to the other three, especially the end of the last episode.

Why Richard? :cry:

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:11 am 

The X-Files theme song always creeped me the hell out. I mean, when you're twelve and you hear that shit, it's pure terror! Also, since we're so intensely on the X-Files train, I recall somebody telling me about an episode with some hillbillies that roll their disabled mother out from under the bed and have sex with her. Can anybody provide a reference for this blasphemy? I was always curious what the hell that was about.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:43 am 

I wasn't thrilled with the Boardwalk Empire finale either.

In other Sunday night news, The Walking Dead is starting to get on my nerves like it tends to do for at least one multi-episode stretch per season. I'm not sure if I care about

The Governor, even if he's in a different position than he was for most of season 3. Maybe they should have had Michonne track him down and put her sword through his neck in season 4, episode 1, just so we could be done with the character.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:01 pm 

Homeland:

Definitely setting things up for a lot of fireworks at the end of the season. It's good to start seeing threads being woven back together after everything was ripped apart at the end of season 2. I do get a strong feeling that Brody's going to get killed off, though.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:23 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
The X-Files theme song always creeped me the hell out. I mean, when you're twelve and you hear that shit, it's pure terror! Also, since we're so intensely on the X-Files train, I recall somebody telling me about an episode with some hillbillies that roll their disabled mother out from under the bed and have sex with her. Can anybody provide a reference for this blasphemy? I was always curious what the hell that was about.

The episode is called 'Home'. Really messed up stuff but I love it. One of my favourite episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_(The_X-Files)

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:16 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Homeland:

Definitely setting things up for a lot of fireworks at the end of the season. It's good to start seeing threads being woven back together after everything was ripped apart at the end of season 2. I do get a strong feeling that Brody's going to get killed off, though.

Yeah it does. With this episode, the writers seemed to have made this gigantic attempt to tie up the loose ends and connect all the stray dots for things to make sense. So Dana's sole purpose in all those previous episodes was for her to push Brody into taking up the mission? Meh. Anyway, I did not cringe at seeing her this time and I have no gripe with the current episode. The Iran mission seems very exciting. It is almost incredible that Saul hatches up these mind boggling plays. I for one will be happy with the change in setting. It should be good. That Bennett guy was actually Mossad giving intel to Lockhart. Who would've thunk it?! And yeah, Brody might get killed off. But Carrie is carrying his kid, right? They will weave that bit into the story somehow. Let's see what happens next.

Oh yeah and I found it hilarious that all those marines in Virginia had almost identical prim beards. Were they celebrating Novembeard?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:01 pm 

By_Inheritance wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

The episode is called 'Home'. Really messed up stuff but I love it. One of my favourite episodes.

Yeah that episode is among the best, or at least one of the most infamous. Scaried the hell out of me when I was a kid.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:04 pm 

Homeland:

I assume all those marines had beards so they could more easily travel to/move around in the Middle East.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:22 pm 

The only "funny" X Files episode I liked was the one about the circus freaks. That one actually scared the shit out of me as a kid.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:24 pm 

By_Inheritance wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

What the shit!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:50 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Homeland:

I assume all those marines had beards so they could more easily travel to/move around in the Middle East.

I don't think there's any need to spoiler-tag that, but I for one welcome our Bearded Marine Overlords. <3

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:24 am 

I've started watching Firefly for the third time since it originally aired. It's a bittersweet experience, the show is great but ends so soon. Oh well. But man, I noticed that all those bending, twangy acoustic guitar strums in the soundtrack feel really weird after Breaking Bad. They have different chord progressions and timing but Breaking Bad burnt such an impression in my mind over the last couple years it does evoke a feeling of the show, which is rather incongruous with the vibe of Firefly.

It's a bit odd but I figure I'll get used to it after a dozen episodes or so and it will be smooth sailing from there on. Oh, wait... :(

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:16 am 

Morrigan wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Homeland:

I don't think there's any need to spoiler-tag that, but I for one welcome our Bearded Marine Overlords. <3

That would be one hell of a custom title! Now if only I sprouted anything more than a goatee...

I need to watch Firefly.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:35 am 

Has "Supernatural" been mentioned in this thread, yet? The first few seasons had some poorly-done CGI/visual effects that were painful to endure, but the main characters and the overall atmosphere of the show is great.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:59 pm 

Treme is beginning its final mini-season this Sunday, for anyone here that cares :). And there should be more of you.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:28 pm 

Treme is great, although it had an even ropier start than The Wire.

So the third series of Fresh Meat (currently airing on Channel 4) might be the best damn comedy/drama on television right now. Episodes 4 and 5 have been absolutely transcendent TV; episode 4 felt like a Joss Whedon script with all the fat cut out and episode 5 had a final act that rivaled an Arthur Miller play. Y'all should be watching it.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am 

Les Revenants was the best new show I saw this year, and probably since Breaking Bad and The Office BBC. It's a damn good show.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:15 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Treme is great, although it had an even ropier start than The Wire.

So it does get good? The first episode was super boring and I didn't find the motivation to look further into it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 am 

Yes it does get good! The first episode is representative only of Steve Zahn's weight gain.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:59 am 

I definitely have enjoyed Treme more than The Wire. It might not have scary drug dealers and political corruption, etc, but I've found the characters far more engaging and...simply more human, I suppose. Treme feels a lot more like a living experience to me. Somehow I never really gave a shit what happened to anyone on The Wire, despite the fact that it was technically a really great show. Treme has really relatable characters that have a ton of personality and honesty to them. It also does a fantastic job of actually making you feel like you're a part of the social milieu the show portrays. It paints the overall sense of place and culture really thoroughly and well.

I will say, however, that Treme has one of the most nerve-grating openings I've ever witnessed. Can't skip it fast enough.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 182  Next