Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:39 pm 

I had about an hour to kill left on a long flight (had already watched 2 movies) so I watched the first episode of White Lotus a few days ago.

Kind of a weird show, not sure what to think. I get that it's probably the point but I found most of the cast to be completely unlikeable and I didn't care what happened to any of them (except the pregnant maid, felt bad for the poor girl). I guess the setting is original, and the mystery of how that dude's wife ends up dying is mildly intriguing, but probably not that much of a draw to keep going. I dunno.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:49 pm 

New Black Mirror is strange, it's like Charlie Brooker couldn't decide between the old format and a new show more in the style of Twilight Zone and way more horror. In the end Lock Henry was my favorite, even it's not very Black Mirror. Classic BM episode was Beyond the Sea, but that episode frustrated me. It was mostly very well made, but with two giant problems I couldn't overlook
Spoiler: show
1) Premise is flawed, it makes no sense for them to use replicas on Earth while being in space, it should've been other way around and there's no logical explanation for that. 2) Ending. I love dark endings, and Black Mirror is famous for being really dark, but I just couldn't believe that character would do something that extreme, it felt forced, like the ending of The Mist (that people also love for some reason).
Beside that, loved the setting, most of the drama, and acting was especially great (best Aaron Paul role after Breaking Bad).

Hijack (Apple) sounds like a Liam Neeson movie, but instead of him it's Idris Elba and it's way better than any recent Liam Neeson movie. It's more of a thriller than action (although, it reminded me of 24 a little, because it's also in real-time so far), and after two episodes I'm hooked.

Speaking of Apple, Silo is the best SF of the year so far. Big recommendation.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:20 pm 

At the request of a friend I started Stranger Things because it's her favorite show. I'm up to episode 4 and it's been a slog. I know I've missed the boat by about a decade so it could be that but definitely not seeing the appeal. The acting is good but it's incredibly predictable and uninteresting. I asked the friend if there's a point where it gets going and she said there's not. I could see it being a bit better for someone younger who didn't live through the 80s but it's all a bit trite for me and I'm puzzled how anyone could like it so much. I mean the first few X-Files seasons were way better.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:40 pm 

Nearly binged watched Walking Dead Dead City. Felt a lot fresher than the actual show.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:07 pm 

Justified: City Primeval - Solid, but nowhere near as great as the original.

Jack Ryan Season 4 - the first 15 minutes of this reminded me of the classic Rainbow Six PC games. Sure enough they incorporated those characters into this or at least Chavez. They basically gave Domingo Chavez John Clark's background and then reworked Clear and Present Danger. I wish they would make a Rainbow Six series. Jack Ryan was ok.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:12 am 

Just finished the second season of Deadwood.

Man what an EPIC show! HBO at its finest. Along with The Wire and The Sopranos this has to be one of the best TV shows ever written.

Also it is the best exercise for my English, as I am not a native speaker. The dialogue is simply amazing. The realism and acting is amazing. Ian Mcshane puts out one incredible performance after the other.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:10 am 

Dark Winds Season 2 - cool supernatural mystery.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:55 pm 

Anyone watching season III of Ragnarök on Netflix? Kind of a slow burn but I have to see what happens.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:55 pm 

Trying to spend as little time as possible in front of the tv and Netflix but this week, the ultimate Top Boy season will be released and I’m really excited. Amazing show with a stellar cast and with the shocking ending of the last season, I can’t wait to see what’s next. Also, the mix of British English and Jamaican patois is addictive and entertaining.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:46 pm 

Lupin!

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:06 pm 

I really enjoyed

"How to..."

On HBO max

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:56 pm 

Finished binging the last Top Boy season. Although it's arguably the weakest season so far, I couldn't have hoped for a better finale. It really is the best show on Netflix.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:37 pm 

Billions - Season 6

This shows better days are behind it. I actually took a break from this because I didn't really like it anymore but I want to watch this before the final season.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:08 am 

Started watching Karppi (Deadwind) on Netflix. 3 seasons from 2018-2021. Pretty cool so far. Set mainly in Helsinki.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:29 am 

deadtome wrote:
Started watching Karppi (Deadwind) on Netflix. 3 seasons from 2018-2021. Pretty cool so far. Set mainly in Helsinki.

I can't explain why but I liked that one. The first season was the best but the other two are also good.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:15 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
deadtome wrote:

I can't explain why but I liked that one. The first season was the best but the other two are also good.

Yah, I'm preparing for a trip to Finland and have really enjoyed seeing Helsinki after reading a lot about it.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:46 am 

Latest season of Lupin is a good time

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:08 pm 

DrFunkenstein wrote:
Anyone a fan of the X Files? Started watching it a couple months ago (halfway through the fourth season). I never watched it when it was new, but I am really enjoying it.

I have it on my watchlist as I have always adored the main theme. It seems really dense as a show. If you like it I also recommend the show "Fringe". It is amazing.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:17 pm 

Yea, I really liked Fringe.

I didn't finish it and I'm pretty sure it's been added to one of the streaming networks.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:05 pm 

So I started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender for like the 10th time. Man the childhood memories struck me again... what an amazing show. For a children's cartoon in only just three seasons it does it all. The sequel is really good too. I hope the Netflix adaptation does it justice unlike the movie which was an abomination.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:24 pm 

I'm A Virgo (the story of a literal giant black 19-year old) is a fucking trip so far! Jharrel Jerome is amazing as the central character, Kara Young is amazing, Walton Goggins was so well cast. This is...brilliant.

Spoiler: show
Did you need a protection amulet?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:09 pm 

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/19/239 ... ina-cancel

This is poop.

I liked this show. Although, when he tried to make joke jokes it was pretty bad.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:02 pm 

Finished watching The Fall Of The House Of Usher. Great story(s), great cast and just a fantastic modern take on Edgar Allen Poe. The final ep in particular struck a chord with me.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:15 pm 

I'm 3 episodes in and I like it very much. Love all the Poe stories referenced so far.
Fire walk with me"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:34 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/19/23924549/jon-stewart-apple-ai-china-cancel

This is poop.

I liked this show.

Apple are slimy cowards

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:24 pm 

I just watched Everybody Loves Diamonds on Prime. I really do enjoy movies about stealing and 'the plan'.
Shot mostly in Antwerp. Not sure if there will be another season.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:01 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Finished watching The Fall Of The House Of Usher. Great story(s), great cast and just a fantastic modern take on Edgar Allen Poe. The final ep in particular struck a chord with me.

I have only read the original story. Might give it a try!

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:45 pm 

PETERG wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:

I have only read the original story. Might give it a try!

Also just saw a great doc on 'how to be tolerant of people poorer and less fortunate than you'. It really opened my eyes to the disparity between classes and geographical locals of our planet.
I can honestly say that I am going to change my ways and think about my life more now.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:28 pm 

Season 2 of Bosch: Legacy, pretty intense. Bosch was the best thing on Amazon Prime by far and this comes pretty close.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:37 am 

Binged Walking Dead- Daryl Dixon. A lot better than the actual series.

mr macabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:22 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:

I agree, the way they worked in so many Poe details into the modern world was very well done, I fucking loved it.

mr macabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:24 am 

Watching The Terminal List for the second time, it's an awesome show. Waiting for season two.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:06 am 

mr macabre wrote:
Watching The Terminal List for the second time, it's an awesome show. Waiting for season two.

I got about halfway through this series before stopping. It was okay but I wasn't invested or interested enough to continue. Good to see you like it more than I did.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:30 am 

Season 2 of 30 Coins (30 Monedas). Season 1, this show was a great mix of horror, action/adventure and just enough humor. It looks like this is going to continue. The guards in hell reminded me of the video game Doom.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:52 am 

R.I.P. Matthew Perry. I never really enjoyed Friends but there were always some decent moments and episodes, and almost all of the funniest stuff on the show was Perry's lines. His drug and alcohol abuse was well known and he didn't hide who he was, but I guess it finally caught up to him. Hopefully he's at peace wherever he is now.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:06 am 

Yeah, RIP Perry. What a shame. I did really enjoy Friends when I was a teen.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:38 am 

Actually Chadler was the only character I liked from friends. His steady relationship with Monica, his cool manner and jokes all stood out with me. Perry delivered amazing on this role.

RIP to the man...

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:58 pm 

The Crown Season 6

Last days of Princess Diana's life. Well done.

Red Dragoon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:40 pm 

Wow, Yu Yu Hakusho live-action just came out today on Netflix. (or yesterday, depends where people at.) I'm glad I've watched the original a couple years back and finished it once and for all. I won't say it's the best in the world, definitely it may not be. It's definitely worth the check out.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:40 am 

Obliterated. Netflix series. I enjoyed it. A lot of "USA, fuck yeah" moments in it, and some of the heartfelt stuff seemed shoehorned in, but it was quite enjoyable for me. Also (spoiler) dicks and boobs (end spoiler).

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182  Next