Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 pm 

Spoiler: show
I loved Littlefinger this episode. Sneaky bastard, love this kind of characters. I hope he makes it to the final season.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 pm 

Digging BBC's Sherlock, Cummonherbach is perfect as the title character. On the negative side, the show can get pretty over the top at times and they were probably better off following the early episodes' "one crime at a time" format.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:59 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Digging BBC's Sherlock, Cummonherbach is perfect as the title character. On the negative side, the show can get pretty over the top at times and they were probably better off following the early episodes' "one crime at a time" format.

...Cummonherbach? Cum on her back? :lol:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:39 am 

Still been hardcore addicted to Critical Role, and getting closer to being actually caught up to current episodes. A long journey, but a great one.

One of the worries I've had about the show, and which the cast acknowledges, is that the dynamic of suddenly playing D&D in front of a bunch of cameras would be different from their home games. At first they said it didn't change much, but over time of course it has. On a basic level this bothered me, but the more I thought about it the more I've come to like it, actually. The cast are all actors, most of which are voice actors for animated things or video games or whatever that I get the feeling are difficult to get emotionally invested in, so this weekly 3-4 hour roleplaying session, where they're pretending to be people saving the world, living, dying and loving together, is a huge opportunity to really dive deep into their characters. It's easy to see the bleedover from their real personalities into the characters they play (since we also get to see so much of them out of character), but it's more difficult to pick up on the things that are *acting* and not just extensions of the cast's own personalities.

I used to think Travis Willingham (Grog the Barbarian) was the most talented actor of the bunch, and a few key scenes have really shown how much he can do with such a simpleminded character, with really brilliant moments of child-like innocence (which, naturally, are often used for comic relief) where he either expresses emotions or ideas that are too difficult for the other members of Vox Machina to show, or else forces them to say what they really feel by not understanding emotional complexities unless they're spelled out for him. Then, of course, there's the few moments where he's been absolutely terrifying, where his shaky moral compass and tunnel vision, combined with his dominating close-quarters combat prowess, make him this absolutely menacing presence on the screen/in our imaginations.

But shit, the episode I just watched where
Scanlan, the bard, wakes up from his coma after being successfully resurrected, having died in a fight against the last of the Chroma Conclave, an alliance of evil dragons who had all but destroyed civilization across a continent and beyond, sees that Vox Machina had selfishly dragged his estranged daughter into the resurrection ritual, in the process showing her how weak and useless he is, the group's funnyman, a joke to them all. He absolutely exploded at them and it was just fucking brilliant.

Strange to even type this out, but even given that this is a Twitch stream show of people playing D&D, that was seriously one of the most powerful portrayals of the depths of depression and self-loathing I have ever witnessed. Sam Riegel is beyond talented. That he put that much work and, obviously, emotion into the performance of his character was just staggering. So hard to watch, but brilliant. Can't wait to see where this show goes next.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:00 am 

Defenders was pretty solid.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 pm 

Curb Your Enthusiasm is finally coming back after a long hiatus, what with Larry David writing and starring in a pretty good TV movie called Clear History, and also writing and starring in Fish in the Dark, a Broadway play.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 pm 

Game of Thrones season 7 episode 6.
Holy shit. The show is still able to surprise me. Before the season started I thought it was all pretty simple: Cersei is the main villain of this season, and she's going to fall (taking down with her some important people), then the final season will be all about the Battle for the Dawn, which should be quite easy as well since there are fully-grown dragons. But fuck all of that. The Night King isn't messing around, and now he has a fucking zombie (ice?) dragon. And even the two other dragons can be easily killed anyway. Now Bronn has to train with Qyburn's scorpion.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Curb Your Enthusiasm is finally coming back after a long hiatus, what with Larry David writing and starring in a pretty good TV movie called Clear History, and also writing and starring in Fish in the Dark, a Broadway play.

I don't think I've even seen the last season, or if I have it's been a long time. I'll have to watch some more of the show just to get reacquainted with it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:05 am 

Is the series Blade of the Immortal worth watching? I'm all about Kurosawa films and loved Afrosamurai.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 am 

Belial wrote:
Holy shit. The show is still able to surprise me. Before the season started I thought it was all pretty simple: Cersei is the main villain of this season, and she's going to fall (taking down with her some important people), then the final season will be all about the Battle for the Dawn, which should be quite easy as well since there are fully-grown dragons. But fuck all of that. The Night King isn't messing around, and now he has a fucking zombie (ice?) dragon. And even the two other dragons can be easily killed anyway. Now Bronn has to train with Qyburn's scorpion.

I thought it was mostly inconceivable decisions one after another, lazy, nonsensical writing and not one but two deus ex machinas. Okay, one deus ex machina and one conveniently timed rescue that rewrites my perception about passing of time in the show. Not my favourite episode.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Belial wrote:

I thought it was mostly inconceivable decisions one after another, lazy, nonsensical writing and not one but two deus ex machinas. Okay, one deus ex machina and one conveniently timed rescue that rewrites my perception about passing of time in the show. Not my favourite episode.

The Uncle Benjen scene was probably the worst scene of the entire show. And it does't help that the lead up to that scene - Jon going Rambo and deciding to charge into more wights for no reason at all, was just silly. Why not just get on the safety dragon and fly off? Because of that one dragon is now zombified and the Night King has a way to get over the wall, and WE had to sit through that horrible Benjen scene.

By the way, search for "Let's do the Math on how long it would take a Raven to get to Dragonstone" and read the Reddit post. The time does check out. It just wasn't properly translated during the episode apart from the ice freezing over again. Which can take a couple of days.

I still enjoyed the episode, but it wasn't up to standards.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:06 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

I also have my complaints about the episode, like what they said in this video. It would have been better if Benjen joined them at the beginning of the fight, for example, but I guess that could be explained by him seeing the dragons and understanding that there's something serious going on somewhere. I was also annoyed by those Lord of the Rings "everything is fucked and there's no hope" and then "holy shit we're saved!" moments. But overall the events that we saw made up for it. A band of badass fighters fighting a dead bear and then attacking a White Walker and his minions. And then dragons killing hundreds of zombies.
I would also have liked to see the dragons breathe fire on the White Walkers to see what happens. I'm guessing their magic would stop it or something, but at the same time, dragon fire is the second hottest thing after the sun in the universe, so who knows.
When Jorah said something like "we have to kill the walkers" it immediately made me think of The Walking Dead. But in The Walking Dead, if they get hopelessly surrounded like that, they would leave everything behind, including the captured wight, but here they made it out alive with the wight (which was a dumb idea since the start anyway, but well, they needed an excuse to go beyond the wall).
It's one of the best episodes for me, despite the numerous flaws. I just hope they'll show us some undead dragon action in the next episode.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 am 

Rick & Morty Season 3 has kept up the great writing, biting dialog, quality, and creativity of the first two seasons so far. It's pretty fucking great. So many great moments already.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:26 am 

If it keeps up the quality, this will be the best season yet. The humor and cleverness are as good as ever, but this season they're also trying for a larger story in a way and I like how they actually have more character development than before. I dig how it's still a high flying zany space adventure type of show on the surface, but the core of it is really just this dysfunctional fucked up family. Every episode so far has been fucking great.

Anyone seen Ozark yet? Found myself really enjoying that. Jason Bateman is really doing some cool stuff these days.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 am 

Empyreal wrote:
If it keeps up the quality, this will be the best season yet. The humor and cleverness are as good as ever, but this season they're also trying for a larger story in a way and I like how they actually have more character development than before. I dig how it's still a high flying zany space adventure type of show on the surface, but the core of it is really just this dysfunctional fucked up family. Every episode so far has been fucking great.

Anyone seen Ozark yet? Found myself really enjoying that. Jason Bateman is really doing some cool stuff these days.

If it isn't The Hogan Family I'm not interested.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 am 

Not familiar with that - but I really like Ozark and his film from last year, The Family Fang. Dude is really stepping it up lately.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:41 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Most shows fall into their groove around seasons 3-6, and then there's typically a decline after 6. So, that in mind, even after incredible initial seasons, Rick and Morty is set to just get better for a while. Hopefully it really does and can continue this pace.

Turd Blaster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:46 pm 

Was loving the new season of Rick and Morty too. Unfortunately, my tv just bit the dust and I missed the newest Jerry-centric episode.

Speaking of, no one in my immediate family has been in the tv market in 5+ years, so I don't have anyone I can get really relevant advice on buying one from. MA, y'all got any recommendations on a solid, cheapish tv in the 30-36" range?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 pm 

Turd Blaster wrote:
Was loving the new season of Rick and Morty too. Unfortunately, my tv just bit the dust and I missed the newest Jerry-centric episode.

Speaking of, no one in my immediate family has been in the tv market in 5+ years, so I don't have anyone I can get really relevant advice on buying one from. MA, y'all got any recommendations on a solid, cheapish tv in the 30-36" range?

Vizio is pretty affordable and of a decent quality. I got a 65" 4K for $500. That's not normal, it was actually returned to Target by someone else, marked half price (instead of $1000) and my mom paid half of it for an Xmas present for me. But for the most part, the Vizios I've used have looked good and they tend to be pretty affordable. Maybe give those a gander.

I've been watching Rick & Morty online, but have been hooking up my laptop to the TV to properly enjoy it.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:15 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

By the way, search for "Let's do the Math on how long it would take a Raven to get to Dragonstone" and read the Reddit post. The time does check out. It just wasn't properly translated during the episode apart from the ice freezing over again. Which can take a couple of days.

I still enjoyed the episode, but it wasn't up to standards.

Just because he adds up the times for the ravens and the ice to become solid doesn't mean they were there for 4 days. In my opinion they're there for 24-30 hours, no more than one night. It's laughable for us to think that they were stranded there for 4 whole days.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:08 am 

Empyreal wrote:

I dunno about best season yet, but it's really awesome so far. Did you guys see the Jerry episode? The part on the ship (you know the one) had some fantastic animation. One of the parts I appreciate most about the show is that even though the basic character designs are as simple as with the Simpsons or Family Guy, they're never afraid to bust out some serious animation chops for more complex scenes. I hate it when animated shows hardly ever make good use of their medium.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:52 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I dunno about best season yet, but it's really awesome so far. Did you guys see the Jerry episode? The part on the ship (you know the one) had some fantastic animation. One of the parts I appreciate most about the show is that even though the basic character designs are as simple as with the Simpsons or Family Guy, they're never afraid to bust out some serious animation chops for more complex scenes. I hate it when animated shows hardly ever make good use of their medium.

The Jerry episode was great, but I don't think I can say which is the best of the season. Probably my favorite of last season was the one with Unity the hive-mind "girl"friend. The Jerry episode was pretty great overall. They crammed so much character development into so many quick scenes. Jerry and Rick finally digging into each other was great. I'm also really liking Morty this season. He's jaded, but clearly growing up. He's sly and experienced and steps up constantly as the real problem solver.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:14 am 

New season of Vikings looks like it is gonna be pretty great - clearly some more money at their disposal.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:28 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Would you say either season 1 or 2 is notably better? I dunno, I like all of it - but this new stuff is just on another level for me.

Pickle Rick is my favorite one so far. Loved what it had to say about the different kinds of intelligence and how Rick's genius doesn't make him perfect - good character stuff. Plus some hilarious, OTT violence - just fucking mayhem...

Finished The Defenders - a fun show overall. Charlie Cox, Krysten Ritter and Mike Colter were incredible as usual. Sigourney Weaver was impressive although her character was underused and mostly relegated to boring speeches.

That was my main problem overall. Good action, some exciting stuff going on, but a large chunk of the dialogue was extremely dull exposition and mystical ninja back-story stuff I just didn't care about. Too much of it was just Iron Fist repeating something in a simpler way with a dumb look on his face that we already understood. A lot of the dialogue just felt like filler.

Fun action and all, but a lot of it sold itself short and didn't have the kind of metaphoric resonance or meaning that the individual shows tried for. Less than the sum of its parts.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:41 pm 

demonomania wrote:
New season of Vikings looks like it is gonna be pretty great - clearly some more money at their disposal.

Yup. It was already well-made before, hope to see a great new season.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:56 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Would you say either season 1 or 2 is notably better? I dunno, I like all of it - but this new stuff is just on another level for me.

Just too early to say. I've re-watched season 1 and 2 a bunch of times and had a lot of time to think about them. Once season 3 has been done for a while, I'll be able to say for sure where it stands in the rankings.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:57 pm 

For sure - I just think it will be if they keep up the quality of these episodes. I think most of the ones this season, with the possible exception of Rickmancing the Stone, have been some of the show's all time best episodes. And even Rickmancing the Stone was still excellent.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:37 pm 

Here are my reviews of each Twin Peaks episode so far: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/twin-peaks- ... -c29272494

Only three episodes left! Episode sixteen will air on August 27th and the last two will air on September 3rd. Can't wait!

;-)

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:45 pm 

I don't know if I've ever hated another character on TV as much as I've hated Chad.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:14 pm 

So, I watched every episode of Black Mirror and it's an amazing show. It's like a cross between The Twilight Zone and X-Files. Those people did a great job of writing stories that are both eerie but realistic.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:07 pm 

Belial wrote:
The Night King isn't messing around, and now he has a fucking zombie (ice?) dragon. And even the two other dragons can be easily killed anyway. Now Bronn has to train with Qyburn's scorpion.

given that the living dead can keep going with smashed and empty skulls, and I'm sure dragons are dragonfire-proof, I dunno what'll be enough to stop an ice dragon

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:08 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
So, I watched every episode of Black Mirror and it's an amazing show. It's like a cross between The Twilight Zone and X-Files. Those people did a great job of writing stories that are both eerie but realistic.

weren't they all written by Brooker?

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:36 pm 

Yeah, I dig that Black Mirror action too - that San Bernadino or whatever episode was incredible.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:46 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
AboveTheThrone wrote:

weren't they all written by Brooker?

Entire History of You--the best episode of the series by far--was written by Jesse Armstrong, of Peep Show, The Thick of It and Fresh Meat fame. Also, the first episode of the third season was written by Rashida Jones, iirc.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:43 pm 

Yeah that's by far my favorite ep too. It mostly stays away from the "technology is bad" message some of the less good episodes have, presenting something that is obviously incredibly useful but also showing how it could end up causing unhappiness anyway.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:29 am 

Does anyone here still watch Homeland?

I just finished Season 4. I thought it was pretty damn good. I hadn't watched in a while because I was watching other shows but I always thought Homeland, generally speaking, was well written.

Looking forward to seasons 5 and 6.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:56 pm 

Is Homeland season 5 finally out on DVD yet? I remember I kept trying to get it for my birthday/Christmas for more than a year and it just would never come out.

Season 4 is definitely still quite strong, although I definitely had some complaints about the characters, since
We lost a great major character with Brody at the end of season 3, and Saul is kind of turning into a pushover, it seems - the fact that, in the scene where he tries to get the terrorists to detonate the bomb instead of turning himself in, he acquiesces to Carrie, despite the fact that she completely betrayed him not much earlier. Also the fact that Saul calls Dar treasonous and then is seen with him in the next scene seemingly on the same page is weird, although being that it was at the very end of the season they'll have a chance to explain it. Carrie is still a great character, but she's never been especially likeable to me, which makes Quinn pretty much the only likeable main character at the moment. I still very much want to see the rest of the show, but I was really disappointed what they did with Saul.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:18 pm 

S5 was so bad it made me drop the show. Haven't touched S6 and don't miss it at all.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 pm 

Yeah, it's definitely gone way downhill...I might keep up with it but just for something to watch, rather than something exciting I look forward to.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:53 am 

Anybody watching Halt & Catch Fire?

First two eps of the new season were decent, gonna check out the third soon.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 182  Next