Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:03 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Anyone watched Bryan Fuller's new show, American Gods?

The first episode was pretty good! The opening scene with the vikings got a little stupidly over-the-top, but once it gets into the character stuff it gets much better. Mr. Wednesday is fucking perfect. Low-Key and the Leprechaun were great also. Shadow is fine, if a bit dull, but then he was dull in the book too. Having read American Gods first I wasn't surprised by any of the shocking bits and can't comment on how it might appeal to someone who doesn't know what's coming, but for my part I enjoyed it quite a bit.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 pm 

Cool, I'm gonna watch it tonight.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:38 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
Anyone watched Bryan Fuller's new show, American Gods?

The first episode was pretty good! The opening scene with the vikings got a little stupidly over-the-top, but once it gets into the character stuff it gets much better. Mr. Wednesday is fucking perfect. Low-Key and the Leprechaun were great also. Shadow is fine, if a bit dull, but then he was dull in the book too. Having read American Gods first I wasn't surprised by any of the shocking bits and can't comment on how it might appeal to someone who doesn't know what's coming, but for my part I enjoyed it quite a bit.

A lot of the show is crazy over-the-top. I think that might be the goal. I did enjoy it thus far, but I read the book like a decade ago, so I don't remember everything about it. My girlfriend seemed less impressed with the first episode. We'll see.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:46 pm 

Yeah but some of the OTT-ness hits and some of it misses. The Technical Kid scene for example was OTT but in a good way I felt, whereas the viking prologue was a bit much. Still too early to tell how the whole season will be of course, but the first episode was at least good enough to make me want to watch the second.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:54 pm 

I didn't like the book that much, but I'll give the show a shot for sure.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 pm 

DUDE WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK the Handmaids tale! My girl roped me into watching the first episode and I wasn't prepared AT ALL. I was mentally gear-shifting in preparation for some kind of like Downtown Abbey boringness. This shit is making my stomach sick they're plucking eyeballs for back sass.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:03 am 

So it looks like HBO are planning not one, not two, not three, but four more shows based on A Song of Ice and Fire.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/04/game-of-thrones-prequels-spinoffs/

I haven't read the Dunk and Egg tales yet but I'm quite excited about this. Sure, it will take some years for them to start but I guess it will be worth it in the end. There's just too much good stuff in the lore that could be well adapted without having to worry about "ruining the books" and things like that.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:26 am 

Jonpo wrote:
DUDE WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK the Handmaids tale! My girl roped me into watching the first episode and I wasn't prepared AT ALL. I was mentally gear-shifting in preparation for some kind of like Downtown Abbey boringness. This shit is making my stomach sick they're plucking eyeballs for back sass.

Welcome to Mike Pence's America.

I'm really enjoying the series so far (I won't see the current new episodes until my girlfriend gets back from her dog show since we're watching it together), but damn if it isn't horrifyingly, creepily relevant.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm 

Belial wrote:
So it looks like HBO are planning not one, not two, not three, but four more shows based on A Song of Ice and Fire.

I haven't read the Dunk and Egg tales yet but I'm quite excited about this. Sure, it will take some years for them to start but I guess it will be worth it in the end. There's just too much good stuff in the lore that could be well adapted without having to worry about "ruining the books" and things like that.

Well sure, now they can ruin Dunk & Egg stories too ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The opening scene with the vikings got a little stupidly over-the-top

having read the book, you can probably work out why :)

for the record, I don't like the series much so far. expensive and expertly filmed, sure, but it doesn't touch me. tho it might be because I know what's going on...

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:36 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Belial wrote:

Well sure, now they can ruin Dunk & Egg stories too ;)

Well it seems that won't be the case after all.

Quote:
None of the prequels are from Martin’s Dunk & Egg tales. “Eventually, sure, I’d love that, and so would many of you. But I’ve only written and published three novellas to date, and there are at least seven or eight or ten more I want to write. We all know how slow I am, and how fast a television show can move. I don’t want to repeat what happened with Game of Thrones itself, where the show gets ahead of the books. When the day comes that I’ve finished telling all my tales of Dunk & Egg, then we’ll do a tv show about them… but that day is still a long ways off.”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/15/george-r-r-martin-game-of-thrones-prequels/

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 pm 

I'm currently watching Silicon Valley, Master of None S2 and the first Louie season. I love how Silicon Valley never fails to get the quirky tech/startup-culture references. S4 started kinda dull but the writing on the latest episode was superb. Definitely the high point of the season thus far. Jian Yang is fuckin' hilarious.

I've only watched the first two episodes of the second season of 'Master of None'. For some reason, I feel the show is heading in the direction of mumblecore. Not a bad thing. So far it's been entertaining for sure, but it remains to be seen how the rest of the episodes will hold up.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:23 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Definitely the high point of the season thus far. Jian Yang is fuckin' hilarious.

Octopus!

Yeah, the current season of Silicon Valley is insane. I don't think the show is losing any steam at all.

Master of None was fantastic. We should discuss the season once you're done.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:00 pm 

Season 2 of Master of None starts off kinda slow, but really picks up starting in the third episode.

And Silicon Valley is as good as ever. Jian Yang and Erlich are rivaling Dinesh and Gilfoyle for best duo on the show.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:49 pm 

If I thought American Gods was a straight up awful book, but love what Fuller and Vincenzo Natali/David Slade did with Hannibal, is it worth checking out the show?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:35 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
If I thought American Gods was a straight up awful book

^5

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
If I thought American Gods was a straight up awful book, but love what Fuller and Vincenzo Natali/David Slade did with Hannibal, is it worth checking out the show?

I haven't read the book, but I'm intrigued by the show. It's definitely infused with Hannibal's style; meticulously atmospheric, bloody and sinister, hyperreal, plain purdy. Plus, you know, as opposed to Hannibal's unreal fantastical touches, this one can step it up a notch by virtue of the actually fantastical setting. The story itself seems to be a bit slow and sometimes awkwardly progressing, though I guess it's still assembling all the elements. Casting and performances are great, mostly. Who doesn't love Ian McShane? And if for nothing else, at least give it a try for Gillian Anderson's first scene in the pilot, which for some reason really stood out to me (probably because it was just brilliantly acted).

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 am 

Looks like The Witcher is getting its own TV show: https://twitter.com/PlatigeImage/status ... 2991219712

Wonder when Dark Souls is next?

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:50 am 

Not based on the games, thankfully. Though I'm sure that's the only reason it greenlit.

I'd much rather see an Eldric Netflix show >:(.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:54 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Looks like The Witcher is getting its own TV show: https://twitter.com/PlatigeImage/status ... 2991219712

Dark Souls isn't narrative-driven... nor as mainstream as The Witcher. I know you're joking but c'mon :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:14 pm 

> knows derigin is joking
> still takes time to explain why his joke is factually inaccurate

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:15 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Derigin wrote:

Dark Souls isn't [...] as mainstream as The Witcher.

wat

That's silly. The whole Souls series is goddamn massively enormously mainstream. The only Witcher game anyone has even heard of is the turd, whoops, I mean 'the third.'

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:42 pm 

This looks like a really beautiful mess.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:08 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
> knows derigin is joking
> still takes time to explain why his joke is factually inaccurate

What's with the 4chan like shitpost structure? :P Anyway, you never know with derigin, I said "I know you're joking" but I'm actually just kinda giving him the benefit of doubt...

darkeningday wrote:
wat

That's silly. The whole Souls series is goddamn massively enormously mainstream. The only Witcher game anyone has even heard of is the turd, whoops, I mean 'the third.'

:lol:
The Witcher games as a whole have sold 25 million copies, that's twice the amount of the entire Souls series. And the novels have boomed in popularity with the games' success.

You're the one who's silly. Souls isn't as niche as it once was, but it's still nowhere near as huge a franchise as the Witcher.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 pm 

So The Google tells me that as of May 2016, Dark Souls games (not including Demon's or BB) had sold over 13 million copies, while as of March 2016, The Witcher series sold around 20 million. I can't find a 2017 update on the Souls games. And Demon's Souls sold 1.7 million copies as of 2015.

It's also worth pointing out that to increase visibility for the third Witcher game, CDP-R repeatedly gave/gives away copies of, or sells for like $.25 The Witcher 1 and 2, in part because those games are nearly PC-exclusive and easy to distribute. And despite the fact that the first Witcher game predated Dark Souls by 4 years and was based on a hugely popular book series by the same name, The Witcher Reddit carries 161K users, while the Dark Souls Reddit has 128K.

They're roughly equal in popularity, though I'd concede that The Witcher 3 is slightly more well-known than any single From game.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:43 am 

darkeningday wrote:
And despite the fact that the first Witcher game predated Dark Souls by 4 years and was based on a hugely popular book series by the same name, The Witcher Reddit carries 161K users, while the Dark Souls Reddit has 128K.

Hugely popular book series? In its origin country, Poland, maybe, but at the time of the release of the game, the book had barely been translated to English and hadn't even been released in the US yet.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:12 am 

Anyone here watching The Handmaid's Tale? It's been very strong so far, but the last episode in particular was amazing. Probably one of my favourite shows on right now.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am 

darkeningday wrote:
So The Google tells me that as of May 2016, Dark Souls games (not including Demon's or BB) had sold over 13 million copies, while as of March 2016, The Witcher series sold around 20 million. I can't find a 2017 update on the Souls games. And Demon's Souls sold 1.7 million copies as of 2015.

It's also worth pointing out that to increase visibility for the third Witcher game, CDP-R repeatedly gave/gives away copies of, or sells for like $.25 The Witcher 1 and 2, in part because those games are nearly PC-exclusive and easy to distribute. And despite the fact that the first Witcher game predated Dark Souls by 4 years and was based on a hugely popular book series by the same name, The Witcher Reddit carries 161K users, while the Dark Souls Reddit has 128K.

They're roughly equal in popularity, though I'd concede that The Witcher 3 is slightly more well-known than any single From game.

Even if you're right (you're not), you would win the argument by being the most pretentious and arrogant asshole on MA so is it worth it?

Can't wait to see who'll they cast to play Yennefer and Triss! <33333

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 pm 

Halfway through S9 of Supernatural. Immediately, the show sees a spike in quality as the pacing issues of seasons 7 and 8 are resolved, the overall presentation is more cinematic, and the major plot points have room to breathe. Curtis Armstrong, best known as Booger, isn't as great a Metatron as Alan Rickman was for Dogma, but it's nigh impossible to not enjoy a Curtis Armstrong performance.

Also, I'm not sure who else here is familiar with the show, but I pointed something out about S9 to my girlfriend, who's a fangirl, and she never even realized it.
Spoiler: show
In S5, the angel Zachariah (the always great Kurt Fuller) shows Dean a vision of the future that would happen if he refuses to be the vessel for the archangel Michael to trigger the apocalypse. In it, Sam is the vessel for Lucifer, the angel Castiel has lost his grace and succumbed to earthly vices, and Dean struggles to find a way to prevent Hell on Earth.

S9, in its first few episodes, has Dean struggling to prevent Hell on Earth by trying to close the Gates, Sam is used as a vessel by the angel Gadriel (who let Lucifer into Eden), and Castiel has lost his grace by Metatron's plot to take over Heaven before engaging in various forms of vice as a human.

The reason Zachariah shows this future to Dean? To illustrate how terrible the future will be if he successfully averts Armageddon. Guess how S5 closes?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 pm 

Yes please.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 pm 

I'm still waiting for the release of that true-life film where Nicholas Cage was slated to play the guy who went Osama bin Laden hunting with a sword (yes, an American guy actually did this). I'm picturing Nicholas Cage wandering around some wooded area of Nuristan in a wizard robe and the whole thing is filmed like the "Call of the Wintermoon" music video.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:54 am 

Metantoine wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Even if you're right (you're not), you would win the argument by being the most pretentious and arrogant asshole on MA so is it worth it?

Wait, how am I not right? Literally every figure I quoted was fact...
Quote:
Can't wait to see who'll they cast to play Yennefer and Triss! <33333

It makes me sad that someone as awesome as you likes something as lame and lowest-common-denominator pandering as The Witcher 3. Sad!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:08 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Wait, how am I not right? Literally every figure I quoted was fact...

Fake facts as evinced by:

darkeningday wrote:
It makes me sad that someone as awesome as you likes something as lame and lowest-common-denominator pandering as The Witcher 3. Sad!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 am 

Just watched a great episode of S5 of Voyager.

It's the one where the Doctor, Harry Kim and some random ensign are attacked by an alien whose weapon hits all three at once. The doctor is basically unharmed, but Harry and the ensign's nervous systems start to degrade at the exact same rate as a result of being hit by the weapon, forcing the doctor to make a call as to which one to save. He chooses Harry and the ensign dies. What follows is an internal struggle in the Doctor's own mind about his decision and he basically goes insane. I thought it was a really neat way for that to happen: basically, the Doctor had his programming challenged (choose the patient with the greatest chances of living) by a freak occurrence where their odds of survival were exactly the same, forcing him to make the decision based on his nascent humanity, choosing his friend. While I wouldn't quite rate it as highly as "The Measure of a Man" from TNG, this was definitely up there, and absolutely one of the best VOY episodes so far.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Anyone here watching The Handmaid's Tale? It's been very strong so far, but the last episode in particular was amazing. Probably one of my favourite shows on right now.

I have. I'm really enjoying how horrifying it is.

On Facebook, I commented on the official Handmaid's Tale page after watching the first three episodes that "I'm really enjoying Mike Pence's Dream for America so far."

Most liked thing I've ever put on Facebook.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:21 pm 

Any Fargo fans here? This season is off to a so-so start... but I'm hoping it'll improve. Season 1 was just fantastic and 2 was pretty good IMO but 3 just isn't up to par IMO.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:24 pm 

Anything would've been a bit lesser compared to the marvelous Season 2. I watched the first three episodes of Fargo's Season 3 and the third one is finally picking up steam - I like Gloria Burgle a lot. And I like Ewan McGregor's two characters and Winstead as Nikki Swango too - I'm just waiting for the pieces to sort of fall together here. It seems like more of a long game and a slow burn this time around.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm 

It's crafty and with that great macabre whimsicalness as usual, though I agree that it's been a bit slow so far. As things stand now I'd say 2 > 1 > 3. That being said, S2 is really, really, really difficult to live up to and S1 was superb, so that's not really putting down S3.

I can't decide which McGregor's haircut is more ridiculous.

Oh hey, it's Mac from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia!

batman: Good episode, Voyager is often at its best when the Doctor's in the spotlight. My only gripe was that the other ensign didn't quite feel right, i.e. we were supposed to care about her as a good buddy of some of the main characters, but her never having shown up before made that a bit difficult.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 pm 

Yeah the Doctor is clearly the best character in Voyager. Nearly every episode that focuses on him is 50x better.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:40 am 

Haha yeah, I just watched another one where there's photon-based subspace aliens trapped in the holodeck and convinced that Tom Paris' Dr. Chaotica simulation is real, so the crew has to intervene to get the aliens to win their battle against Chaotica's Space Force so they can get un-stuck from subspace. The part where the Doctor plays the President of Earth was priceless, haha.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 182  Next