Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:51 pm 

I actually agree that S1 had a finality to it, despite the cliffhanger at the very last scene or so - up until the last few minutes they easily could've stopped it right there.

In regards to episode 7 though...

Spoiler: show
I don't mind if a TV show does things like this episode as a way to set up future plots. It's the nature of the medium - not like when a movie does it which just can feel cheap sometimes. It worked for me because I have faith they'll expand this and develop Kali as a character more. They're playing a long game.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 pm 

The complain about ep. 7 that it sets aside the cliffhanger of ep. 6 might make sense for a regular TV series that airs every week -- it would suck having to wait 2 weeks to see the follow-up to the end of ep. 6, so I could see being annoyed then.

But for a Netflix series? Nah bruh, everyone binges watch this shit, it's a non-issue.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:31 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
The complain about ep. 7 that it sets aside the cliffhanger of ep. 6 might make sense for a regular TV series that airs every week -- it would suck having to wait 2 weeks to see the follow-up to the end of ep. 6, so I could see being annoyed then.

But for a Netflix series? Nah bruh, everyone binges watch this shit, it's a non-issue.

If tangents filled with poor writing, characterization, and acting are now non-issues then whatever, but it doesn't stop "The Lost Sister" from sticking out like a gangrenous thumb.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:28 pm 

Poor writing and characterization? Whatever dude. That episode was fun as hell, and I actually liked the side-characters quite a bit, especially Eight.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Sinfulsot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 am 

Anyone watch The Opposition (with Jordan Klepper) on Comedy Central? it is very colbert-esque with some of its jokes. sometimes blatantly.

I miss Red Eye.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:09 pm 

Four episodes into "Slasher" and it's fucking excellent. It's about a copycat serial killer in a small town targeting people who have broken one of the "Seven Deadly Sins" and making biblical references. Most similar shows primarily rely on action sequences to maintain your interest, whereas this introduces you to a cast of potential serial killers and keeps you searching for subtle hints as to who it is. Highly recommend it.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 am 

Will check out "Slasher," sounds good.

Been watching the very stupid, but entertaining "Strike Back" on Amazon. Headshots, boobs and manbutt guaranteed every episode.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:27 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Will check out "Slasher," sounds good.

I never watched the first season, only the second. The first season isn't really a prerequisite since the two are independent from each other. I'd recommend doing the same.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:51 pm 

The other night my wife and I watched an episode of a childhood favorite of mine: The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr. It's pure 90's cheese at its finest: a tongue-in-cheek western with sci-fi elements, starring Bruce Campbell. I have the series on DVD so maybe we'll continue watching it. :)

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:48 pm 

Loved that show - whasshisname was the perfect bad guy.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 pm 

Nice! It only ran for like one season so I don't think there are a whole lot of fans out there. And yes, the bad guy did a great job at being a bad guy.

Bruce Campbell was also in another show of that era called Jack Of All Trades. Have you seen it? I never have but am curious. It looks fun.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:15 pm 

Nope. I always associate that show with "Forever Knight," about a vampire cop, as I watched both quite a bit at the time. Was happy to see the main "Forever Knight" dude in one of the "Cube" movies the other night, though not sure if he has done much else since.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 pm 

Better Things is really fucking good. I shoulda known it would be, with Louis C.K. co-writing sometimes/executive producing, and it sorta being a Louie spinoff, which is one of the best shows ever IMO. Pamela Adlon does a really good job. The "Eulogy" episode in season 2 had me bawling and laughing hysterically.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 am 

Jack of All Trades was decent Saturday afternoon filler. If you liked Hercules and Xena then you'd probably dig it.

Anybody else catch the premier of Damnation? It's set in 1930's Iowa, centering on a farmer's strike and how corporate moguls are attempting to quash it. Very reminiscent of Deadwood to me. Loved it.

darkeningday wrote:

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Nope. I always associate that show with "Forever Knight," about a vampire cop, as I watched both quite a bit at the time. Was happy to see the main "Forever Knight" dude in one of the "Cube" movies the other night, though not sure if he has done much else since.

I've never heard of Forever Knight but it looks fun! I wonder if it's available to watch anywhere nowadays.

acid_bukkake wrote:
Jack of All Trades was decent Saturday afternoon filler. If you liked Hercules and Xena then you'd probably dig it.

I never got into Hercules or Xena but I got a soft spot for campy/corny stuff like that. I may see if I can track down Jack Of All Trades to watch one of these days.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:33 pm 

So far the only thing I don't like about the new Star Trek is the opening sequence. The way things are sort of hand-drawn reminds me of a mid-2000's In Flames album cover; and that's something I'd rather forget.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:02 pm 

Yeah, Discovery has been fantastic so far; that timeloop episode with Dwight (absolutely killing it as Harry Mudd) was probably the most fun I've had with a tv show all year. Looking forward to the mid-season finale that aired last night, hope it's good. Also, glad to see it was already renewed for a second season!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Bruce Campbell was also in another show of that era called Jack Of All Trades. Have you seen it? I never have but am curious. It looks fun.

Jack of All Trades is yeah, kind of a shitty(!) Hercules - probably Sam Raimi again, and most of the actors are Kiwis - but if you enjoy Campbell's usual hammy nonsense and winks to the camera then you'll enjoy it. The entire series was on youtube for a while, I think I watched it into the second season before I finally got bored of cheesy one-liners and innuendo.

Still watching The Orville here, still bloody loving it. Perfect mix of retro sci-fi and light-hearted comedy. Also watched the first season of Penny Dreadful the other day, kinda cool. It's your standard dark reimagining of a lot of existing stuff, but it's well-made and the cast are great. Never thought Josh Hartnett would do anything that wasn't a 90s rom-com type affair. And Eva Green is captivating - beautiful, mysterious, etc etc. Looking forward to watching the rest.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:37 am 

stickyshooZ wrote:
I've only ever heard amazing things about Stranger Things, so I plan on starting season one sometime this week. Looking forward to it.

it's no Bridge to Terabithia, but it's pretty good,

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 am 

Anyone watches Lucifer?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:07 am 

ST:D has been hit or miss for me with the last episode or two, but I'm still invested. It's not bad or anything, I just think some of the interpersonal drama has seemed forced.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:14 pm 

Turner wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

Jack of All Trades is yeah, kind of a shitty(!) Hercules - probably Sam Raimi again, and most of the actors are Kiwis - but if you enjoy Campbell's usual hammy nonsense and winks to the camera then you'll enjoy it. The entire series was on youtube for a while, I think I watched it into the second season before I finally got bored of cheesy one-liners and innuendo.

Gotcha. Well, maybe if I'm REALLY bored some cold rainy weekend afternoon, I'll track it down. Thanks!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm 

I'm a little more than halfway through Punisher. It's solid, the cast is mostly great (only weak spot for me has been Billy Russo, but he's better in some areas than others), but holy shit...CAN WE GET ONE MARVEL SERIES THAT DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND A GRAND CONSPIRACY?!

Bernthal is perfect, though. I actually don't think there's been a "bad" actor as the Punisher, as even "I learned English a year ago" Dolph Lundgren perfectly fit that film's characterization. Ray Stevenson might be the weakest only because it was the weakest version (despite the level of violence in War Zone being what should be the standard).

darkeningday wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I'm a little more than halfway through Punisher. It's solid, the cast is mostly great (only weak spot for me has been Billy Russo, but he's better in some areas than others), but holy shit...CAN WE GET ONE MARVEL SERIES THAT DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND A GRAND CONSPIRACY?!

haha, I hear ya! I'm four episodes in and while it's good, I did pretty much think the same thing about the plot.

acid_bukkake wrote:
Bernthal is perfect, though.

Word. He already made one hell of an impression on me back when he first appeared on Daredevil. Bad. Ass.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:21 am 

Have you guys watched Berlin Station at all? Most underrated show on television? It does Homeland better than Homeland has been doing Homeland for too long now. It's Le Carre-level material with the acting and production values you'd see in a Hollywood movie. I don't even like espionage/spy shows that much, and I'm completely absorbed. The season that's airing right now is about the emerging far-right/alt-right movement that's happening in Germany, with each episode titled with the word "right" in it; e.g., "Everything's going to be alt-right," "Right to the Heart" and my personal favorite, "Winners right the history books." The cast includes Ashley Judd, Michelle Forbes, Rhys Ifans and Thomas Kretschmann.

If you like Le Carre novels/series like The Night Manager and Tinker Tailor, there's no reason not to check out Berlin Station. If nothing else, it provides an aperture into the very heart of the emergent far-right shift that's sweeping Europe right now.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:18 am 

Cool, I will give it a try. It's been on my list sorta, kinda anyway.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 am 

Started Future Man. Comedy sci-fi, kinda Seth Rogen-ish humor. I like it, had some good laughs.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:35 pm 

So having finished The Punisher... did this feel lukewarm to anyone else overall? The story struck me as thin and uninteresting (also the B-plot with the shellshocked kid felt pointless) and I'd have expected more pure Punisher action. I had difficulties finishing it, to be honest, and didn't pay much attention to the finale. It wasn't all bad, but kind of a letdown with serious pacing and storytelling problems. I can't wrap my head around the 9+ score on IMDb.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:45 pm 

I've left off at E7 and not really rushing back, so I get it. I expected a brutal and violent show with brooding undertones and what I got was a few great performances and slow pacing. The character was better utilized in Daredevil.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 pm 

I really liked all of it. I didn't care that it didn't have a lot of violence - the story was engaging and the character development and sorrow were palpable and intriguing. It got pretty silly later on at a few points like...

the whole gun control thing, which was not really terribly smart, and the plot involving the PTSD kid turned him into a one-dimensional bad guy who somehow was now super smart and calculating. And the final episode was goofy in a comic book way with the decisions made and that final battle at the carousel.

But I was entertained throughout and the violence in the last several episodes was brutal enough to satisfy the lack of it in the rest of the season. I feel like they had an ultraviolent story for him in Daredevil and they didn't need to repeat that every episode of this. It was just a good, interesting story about him as a character. Not perfect but I was thoroughly satisfied.

Though the conspiracy thing was a slight letdown. They stopped short of criticizing the US military and instead just made it a heroin trafficking plot by a few rogues.
Oh well.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 am 

Chewing Gum on Netflix is fairly genius. Anyone here watched it?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 pm 

Season 3 of Fargo was the best one yet.

I didn't think so at first - but as the season went on it was funnier as well as more dramatic and layered. My head is still spinning. Gonna watch it again I think.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 pm 

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I loved Fargo season 3 but I'd still say season 2's the best. Kinda splitting hairs though since the entire series is just amazing. Season 3 almost started to lose me halfway through but came through with a great finale.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:05 pm 

Season 2 was an amazing epic crime drama, but 3 was just this utter confounding blend - so weird and funny and yet full of layered Shakespearean family drama under the surface, and full of the odd and the unexplained woven even better into the story than it ever has been. It felt like they really found the style they were looking for.

The middle started to lose you? The stretch of episodes from where Ray dies to Nikki's run through the woods had my eyes glued to the screen - easily the highlight of the whole thing for me; holy fuck what a ride. And that bizarre bowling alley scene too... Jesus.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:20 pm 

I appreciated the weirdness of the bowling alley scene but at the same time it was such a heavy-handed Big Lebowski reference, and even though that's basically my favourite movie ever and I love all the little Coen Bros. nods sprinkled throughout the Fargo show, that one was just so glaring it kind of took me out of the episode.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 pm 

I guess I can see that Big Lebowski thing now that you mention it, but the mood was so eerie and mystical that it didn't stick out to me during the episode. If anything the presence of the dude who played Leland from Twin Peaks gave it a Lynchian feel - but it was Fargo's kind of oddness all the way really.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 pm 

Anyone else been watching "Death Row Stories"? It more or less follows ex-inmates who were sentenced to death and then later found to be innocent. It's simultaneously fascinating and infuriating how corrupt and/or inept the so-called "justice system" can be.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:44 pm 

I have been wanting to watch The Defenders on Netflix, the newish Marvel series that brings together Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. So I thought I had better catch up on those first. Am I wasting my time? Anyone seen it without watching all the other stuff first? Can you skip any of it?

Because jesus god, I wish I had skipped Jessica Jones. What garbage that show was. Boring unlikable people engaging in a boring unlikable plot. Except Mike Colter as Luke Cage. He was good. His show now, that's one worth watching. I'm only up to episode 3, but I'm loving every minute of it.

I know that Iron Fist was hammered by critics, but here's another one of those cases where there's an enormous difference between the critic scores and the audience scores. 17% of critics liked it vs 76% of the audience? Something's wrong there.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:49 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Turner wrote:

Gotcha. Well, maybe if I'm REALLY bored some cold rainy weekend afternoon, I'll track it down. Thanks!

Jack of All Trades was... not great. I gave it a shot because of Bruce, but it was another Sam Raimi-produced vehicle after Hercules and Xena ended. He'd actually produced two shows around the same time, the other one was something like Cleopatra 2525 or something and that was atrocious. Bruce can unfortunately end up in some garbage.

I didn't even realize Jack of all Trades lasted two seasons until I looked it up just now.

Side note: I wish they'd cast Jeffrey Combs in a role for Ash vs Evil Dead at some point. I want to see him and Bruce Campbell on screen together.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 am 

GTog wrote:
I have been wanting to watch The Defenders on Netflix, the newish Marvel series that brings together Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. So I thought I had better catch up on those first. Am I wasting my time? Anyone seen it without watching all the other stuff first? Can you skip any of it?

Because jesus god, I wish I had skipped Jessica Jones. What garbage that show was. Boring unlikable people engaging in a boring unlikable plot. Except Mike Colter as Luke Cage. He was good. His show now, that's one worth watching. I'm only up to episode 3, but I'm loving every minute of it.

I know that Iron Fist was hammered by critics, but here's another one of those cases where there's an enormous difference between the critic scores and the audience scores. 17% of critics liked it vs 76% of the audience? Something's wrong there.

Iron Fist was unwatchable. I made it through about three episodes. Hated the characters and hated the main story line of some rich kid fighting to get his huge mega corporation back. He also acted like a spoiled brat through most of what I watched.

It's disappointing, because I think he has the coolest super power out of the four of them.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 182  Next