* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
Dark was good, even if the grimdark tone was a bit ridiculous at times and Time Travel plots just simply don't work on TV.

Anyone keeping up with Star Trek: Discovery? Goddamn it's good.

I was starting to worry that Discovery was heading towards too much of a narrowed focus. That can be done well, like DS9's Dominion War plot that brought some of the best Trek ever; or it can get bogged down and kind of tedious like Enterprise's Xindi stuff (although even that rescued itself the way by the way it was resolved.) So I'm very happy for Discovery's detour into the alternate universe, which has been imo the series' best couple of weeks yet :D

Agreed! Although going back to Season 3 of Enterprise is where I was struck by how surprisingly good it was when binge-watched. It just didn't work for a weekly TV show.

I've always found the Mirror universe a bit stupid, but it's been done well enough on Discovery I think, and seems to have really brought back "classic" fans who'd almost sworn off the show in its first few episodes.

Quote:
Next week's X-Files better really slap my ass though, cause last night's episode was dreck. In the past, I've enjoyed their goofball episodes, especially last year's with that Aussie-accented lizard man :lol: That was great fun!
Yesterday's episode completely left behind one of the factors that makes X-Files great: the fact that it offers a diversion from current issues. I mean, they've always kept the alien conspiracy above and outside of political divisions. Which makes sense, because if you're a reptilian shapeshifter from the future, you don't care about Reps and Dems. Then last night... we get "jokes" about fake news, jokes about building a wall :roll: Come on now. X-Files, you're better than this! If I want to hear obvious, low-hanging fruit, practically mindless cracks about Donald Trump's dumbassery, I'll watch Samantha Bee.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but it was a Darin Morgan episode; did you really expect anything other than an on-the-nose Hollywood liberal "satire" of current issues? His episodes have always been the most divisive among X-Files and Millennium fans.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:25 pm 

Wow, the last couple of episodes of "Stranger Things" Season 2 were fucken awesome. Now the long, painful wait for a new season begins.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 am 

I just recently got Netflix and I've been browsing all of the stuff that is on there. Holy moly, I've been missing out on so much great content. Why did I ever wait this long to get this?

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 am 

Black. Mirror. NOW!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:49 am 

stickyshooZ wrote:
I just recently got Netflix and I've been browsing all of the stuff that is on there. Holy moly, I've been missing out on so much great content. Why did I ever wait this long to get this?

I just got it a month ago myself. Can't go back to regular television now!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:01 am 

Dark was overall really good. At first I was worried it was just basically a German-language Stranger Things, but it got better as it went on (much like Stranger Things, haha).
Not sure exactly where they can go with the plot in a second season now that all the characters seem to be in on the big reveal. Could've been tied up in one season easily.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:

Quote:
Next week's X-Files better really slap my ass though, cause last night's episode was dreck. In the past, I've enjoyed their goofball episodes, especially last year's with that Aussie-accented lizard man :lol: That was great fun!
Yesterday's episode completely left behind one of the factors that makes X-Files great: the fact that it offers a diversion from current issues. I mean, they've always kept the alien conspiracy above and outside of political divisions. Which makes sense, because if you're a reptilian shapeshifter from the future, you don't care about Reps and Dems. Then last night... we get "jokes" about fake news, jokes about building a wall :roll: Come on now. X-Files, you're better than this! If I want to hear obvious, low-hanging fruit, practically mindless cracks about Donald Trump's dumbassery, I'll watch Samantha Bee.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but it was a Darin Morgan episode; did you really expect anything other than an on-the-nose Hollywood liberal "satire" of current issues? His episodes have always been the most divisive among X-Files and Millennium fans.

I quite enjoyed the latest Darin Morgan episode, even if it wasn't quite as strong as classics like Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and Jose Chung's From Outer Space. The episode was more than just "jokes" about fake news, as it delved into a wider examination of people's failure to care about crooked leaders and real conspiracies or about truth or lies. In the 90's, the show was about the truth and liars who keep it from us. Now, we're so awash in lies and bullshit, no one seems to care what's true anymore. Bullshit is the order of the day across the board.

We have a president who tells more lies than truths, and no one seems to even care. Republicans are happy to be complicit in the entire mess as long as they get to stay in power and voters do nothing about it. People just fucking shrug and go about their days. Everyone with a Facebook account knows half a dozen people who share complete bullshit every day. I mean, hell, a friend of mine once sent me a rambling message on there about how "that North Korean missile didn't fail, it was destroyed by a secret Air Force weather weapon" and that was only a small part of one insane post.

I also enjoyed how the episode toyed with the concept of the Mandela Effect--which is something I hadn't even heard of prior to the episode. But Darin Morgan clearly did his research on the concept to write the episode. In many ways, this episode perfectly encapsulates what's so different about society now as to when the X-Files first aired. The way alien abductions aren't talked about anymore (we understand the actual issues), the way liars in the government are ignored with a shrug, the way the search for the truth seems pointless, etc.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:30 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
that Aussie-accented lizard man :lol:

*ahem* that was Rhys Darby and he's a Kiwi. CLEAR DIFFERENCE MATE.
lol j/k, I can't pick Canadians from Americans half the time unless it's a cliche "hoooser" vs. a Texan.

But yeah that was a great episode, loved the twist on the usual "uuugh I'm becoming a monster!" thing and lots of good gags. I'd say they gave Darby a fair bit of input cause he plays those kinds of characters a lot. Laughed my arse off. The X-Files was always at its best when it did the jokey episodes imo - seasons 5-6 or so were chock full of them, lots of poking fun at the genre, lots of Duchovny clearly having fun with the role, etc etc. Haven't seen any of the newest ones yet but been meaning to check em out.

Resident_Hazard wrote:
We have a president who tells more lies than truths, and no one seems to even care.

I'm a bit removed from it not being from the US, but our media is full of stories about the idiot so can chime in a bit: it's not that people don't care, it's that the news these last 2 years has been just a constant fucking stream of articles pointing out every possible thing Trump does that you could be critical of and that has the complete opposite effect to what they intended. They've spent so much time mixing in "omg he probably doesn't wash his hands after taking a piss!!!!" stories with the stuff we really do need to know that it's information overload and people are switching off. Not everyone is a bottomless pit of left-wing empathy and moral outrage, and hitting them over the head with "omg you have to care about this!" stories every day clearly isn't working.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:22 pm 

Well, I just started Stranger Things today. Holy moly, I hate when I wait so long to get into a show and end up slapping myself on the forehead for waiting so long to check it out.

Just finished episode 4 of season 1. I have to say, all of the actors are great, but the one that really, really stands out to me is Wynona Ryder. She plays her part so damn convincingly.

Exkretor wrote:

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 am 

I'm thinking of starting Westworld and Mr. Robot. I'm in Europe now but I can watch US content through proxy servers to circumvent the restrictions. I bought one with unlimited traffic not so long ago.

Last edited by kellyon on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 pm 

Both are awesome.

Counterpart is pretty great. Very interesting setting and the usual captivating performance(s) by Simmons. Anyone seen the first two episodes?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:56 am 

Started watching Dirty Money on Netflix.

Boy howdy, is this show aggravating and upsetting. And I'm only three episodes into it. It's good to learn what's happening here, and the show seems pretty fair. It lets the crooked Fast Cash loans asshole express himself, and you are allowed to hate him because he's such a piece of shit. While he whines about the government taking his money, you get to remember that he ripped off one and a half million people with his shoddy quick-cash loans.

The really upsetting thing, though, is the realization that this kind of unchecked greed is only going to get worse under Trump.

This is a dark era for anyone who doesn't just have a billion dollars in his pockets.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:09 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

Boy howdy, is this show aggravating and upsetting. And I'm only three episodes into it. It's good to learn what's happening here, and the show seems pretty fair. It lets the crooked Fast Cash loans asshole express himself, and you are allowed to hate him because he's such a piece of shit. While he whines about the government taking his money, you get to remember that he ripped off one and a half million people with his shoddy quick-cash loans.

Sounds like a typical vulture Capitalist: fuck over as many people as possible to enrich himself and then whines about how unfair and "communistic" it is that he has to pay taxes.

I'm going to add this show to my Netflix list.

Exkretor wrote:

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 pm 

The 3rd Twin Peaks season is out there! Love it. I kind of makes sense to me. But then again, I think there's loads of space for every people seeing it to make their own judgment.

If you're not into WEIRD that is not explained that much at all, do not waste your time. If you are, then SEE IT!!!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:21 pm 

I think a bunch of us here watched it as it was coming out. I honestly think it's even better than the original Twin Peaks; instantly one of my favourite seasons of any show ever. Pretty much perfect.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:47 pm 

Yeah it was definitely better than the original. Some of the more soap opera-y bits of the original I just kinda tolerated, and season 2 especially was really mixed, but The Return got rid of all the bad aspects of the original and focused on what made it great.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:04 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Sounds like a typical vulture Capitalist: fuck over as many people as possible to enrich himself and then whines about how unfair and "communistic" it is that he has to pay taxes.

I'm going to add this show to my Netflix list.

It's amazing to see how little self-awareness some people have. Bitching about how evil the government is and unfair it is that they had to be arrested by FBI agents in front of their poor, traumatized children, oh what a cruel government! No concern at all for the tragic debt and troubles their policies caused to over a million people, and the number of traumatized children that had to watch their parents struggle with crushing debt. So sad the government confiscated his handily 6-figure expensive race car! Nevermind that they literally play a recording of a woman who can't make a regular car payment because of the policies of his company.

The series is apparently from the people behind two other docs I loved: Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and Going Clear, the Scientology film.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:15 pm 

UGH, I'm still trying to find time to finish watching the original with my girlfriend (I've seen it already). She got me the box set of the new season for christmas and its killing me to have it just sitting on the shelf unopened!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:35 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah it was definitely better than the original. Some of the more soap opera-y bits of the original I just kinda tolerated, and season 2 especially was really mixed, but The Return got rid of all the bad aspects of the original and focused on what made it great.

I finished watching it a while back - fantastic and definitely the best season. Maybe even David Lynch's best work. The cinematography and directing were just so exquisite, with all these epic, bizarre images just burned into my brain, and the story was so thick and rich with intrigue and mystery that I was totally addicted. The humor was great too and didn't diminish the rest of the stuff around it. What a fucking perfect ending, too.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:27 pm 

Yeah it feels weird to say, but a reboot of an old TV soap opera might be the best work of a famous arthouse director.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23 pm 

I've watched 2 episodes of Altered Carbon on Netflix, and sadly I might have to leave it there. Visually stunning series but the story is a bit meandering and strange, and the gratuitous nudity seems unnecessary. It's got a real Blade Runner vibe to it, and will sure interest some people here, but I'm struggling.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

Wow, I wasn't expecting anyone else here to know of that show. I got, like, three episodes into it and loved it. Very interesting show.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:25 am 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Wow, I wasn't expecting anyone else here to know of that show. I got, like, three episodes into it and loved it. Very interesting show.

I watched the first two and it's pretty damn good. It's a pretty depressing reminder that there is some fucked up stuff happening within capitalism. Sure, the second episode offered some vengeance in the end, but it never felt satisfying. It felt like none of the people who were actually responsible felt like they did anything wrong, and they would do it all over again if given the opportunity.

It's not exactly pleasant to watch, but it's very well-made and I'm glad it exists.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I've watched 2 episodes of Altered Carbon on Netflix, and sadly I might have to leave it there. Visually stunning series but the story is a bit meandering and strange, and the gratuitous nudity seems unnecessary. It's got a real Blade Runner vibe to it, and will sure interest some people here, but I'm struggling.

You're right, it's a little convoluted and there's pacing issues. I had some trouble keeping up with everything that was introduced and re-introduced (things have improved now, I'm currently at the halfway point). I think they might either have done a suboptimal job at adapting or the novel is just inherently tricky to bring to the screen (haven't read the source material). Other than that, though, it's very solid; good cast (I'm growing more and more fond of Kinnaman and the guy who plays the Edgar Allan Poe AI does a great job), cool world and exploration of its various concepts, nice action, interesting overarching mystery, etc.

I didn't really think the nudity was gratuitous, but maybe I've gotten desensitised.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:08 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
AboveTheThrone wrote:

I watched the first two and it's pretty damn good. It's a pretty depressing reminder that there is some fucked up stuff happening within capitalism. Sure, the second episode offered some vengeance in the end, but it never felt satisfying. It felt like none of the people who were actually responsible felt like they did anything wrong, and they would do it all over again if given the opportunity.

It's not exactly pleasant to watch, but it's very well-made and I'm glad it exists.

Going to try to make a quickie point here on these things and capitalism. Capitalism has given me a relatively comfortable life and all the non-human things I enjoy in life. The PS4 and a wall filled with Transformers are things Capitalism gives me, along with pretty much always-full grocery stores. And rivers of Mountain Dew and mountains of pizza. Compared to a lot of places in the world, I live in relative luxury, and thanks to relatively low pay for those countries, I have a computer in my pocket that is also a phone and costs a fraction of what it would if made with unionized American labor.

That said, any system can be grossly corrupted, and this show gives us some of the best/worst examples. It's important to know these things, but perhaps more important for consumers to be responsible on their end to prevent these things from running amok. The HSBC episode was great and fucking frustrating at the same time. If ever you wanted to see great justification for being crooked or a drug dealer, that episode basically showed that you can get away with that and keep your money and job.

It's great that some of these crooked monsters got their comeuppance (the FastCash guys were probably the best villains on the show--they made it beyond easy to hate them while trying to vie for your pity), but there is the underlying, maybe unintentional message, of how important it is for consumers to be vigilant in who they work with and where they spend their money.

I hope for another season.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:13 pm 

I'm watching season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale at the moment and this has to be the most emotionally draining show I have ever seen.

Holy fucking shit.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:02 am 

Well. Star Trek Discovery finale was utter shit. Clunky, bad writing, wishy-washy dramatic tension, bullshit "resolutions" of the drama and conflict.

That was so fucking bad, jesus christ. This season had some pretty good episodes, but that did not make me optimistic about next season.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52 am 

I'm watching episodes of The Real Ghostbusters on Netflix. The show has held up remarkably well, and I'm surprised by how dark it is at times. Given how many cool, new stories that the writers were able to come up with, it's clear that there should have been more than enough material for a third movie. But maybe it's a good thing that they never did it. That being said, I still love Ghostbusters 2 and don't know why so many people shit on it so hard.

Exkretor wrote:

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:59 pm 

Any fans of Conan O'Brien's show here?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:05 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I'm watching season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale at the moment and this has to be the most emotionally draining show I have ever seen.

Holy fucking shit.

I posted a comment on their Facebook when the show first aired that I was "enjoying Mike Pence's vision for America thus far." It was the closest I ever got to "going viral" ha ha. That show is pretty intense, though. A little disappointed they went the "series" route instead of ending the story in one season, but it does have my attention for season 2.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:44 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Well. Star Trek Discovery finale was utter shit. Clunky, bad writing, wishy-washy dramatic tension, bullshit "resolutions" of the drama and conflict.

That was so fucking bad, jesus christ. This season had some pretty good episodes, but that did not make me optimistic about next season.

Man, it wasn't that bad! As far as bad wishy-washy writing goes, sure that speech from Burnham at the end was a clunky ball of cheese, but sappy long-winded over-moralizing has always been a hallmark of Star Trek. You oughta be used to it by now :thumbsup:

The resolution of the conflict though... urgh...
Spoiler: show
makes no sense that the Emperor would meekly give up the bomb and walk away so easily. She'd been overthrown in her universe; and in the main reality, must have known that the high and mighty Federation would cover its arse and sweep her aside after serving her mission. So yeah... she would have pushed the button!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm 

Right, that didn't make sense, nor did the Klingon stuff, nor did...
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 pm 

If your ... refers to the last second appearance of *you know who*, yes that rubbed me the wrong way too. I'm not a fan of piddly little cameos that feel forced and useless. The Klingon stuff was also a bit half-ass. Ya know, on second thought I'm revising my score for the finale down to a C- maybe even a D+
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 pm 

I just can't believe what they did with Jason Isaacs... who thought that would be a good idea?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I've watched 2 episodes of Altered Carbon on Netflix, and sadly I might have to leave it there. Visually stunning series but the story is a bit meandering and strange, and the gratuitous nudity seems unnecessary... but I'm struggling.

Though Martha Higareda's scenes totally worked for me, some of the excesses made the whole thing to lose consistency. Plot is good, but some of the characters were to cliche for me

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:44 am 

Anyone watched Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams? For people who've been a bit dissatisfied with Black Mirror's Netflix seasons, like me, check out this one. It can be hit or miss, but the highs are every bit as high as Black Mirror and the lows aren't as low, imo. Check out The Hood Maker, Real Life and The Commuter if you want extremely high quality sci-fi tv. Nahsil, mac, az and fsm, you guys in particular. The Hood Maker is about the best hour of TV I've seen in years.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:01 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Anyone watched Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams? For people who've been a bit dissatisfied with Black Mirror's Netflix seasons, like me, check out this one. It can be hit or miss, but the highs are every bit as high as Black Mirror and the lows aren't as low, imo. Check out The Hood Maker, Real Life and The Commuter if you want extremely high quality sci-fi tv. Nahsil, mac, az and fsm, you guys in particular. The Hood Maker is about the best hour of TV I've seen in years.

I'm about three episodes in (halfway through the 4th), and I think it's decent. It's got some solid production values, and the stories are very classic science fiction, which should really be expected here, given the author. I haven't finished the latest season of Black Mirror yet, though.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:19 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I'm about three episodes in (halfway through the 4th), and I think it's decent. It's got some solid production values, and the stories are very classic science fiction, which should really be expected here, given the author. I haven't finished the latest season of Black Mirror yet, though.

Yeah, you've gotta watch The Commuter episode (I'm not sure what order the American episodes are in). I'm not even a dad and I still nearly cried. Can't believe the guy who played a rat man in Harry Potter is that good of an actor, holy heck!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:21 am 

darkeningday wrote:

Yeah, you've gotta watch The Commuter episode (I'm not sure what order the American episodes are in). I'm not even a dad and I still nearly cried. Can't believe the guy who played a rat man in Harry Potter is that good of an actor, holy heck![/quote]

Oh no... Well hopefully parenthood has hardened my heart, but in my experience, the opposite happened.

On another note, we finally watched the final episode of Dirty Money on Netflix and... Fucking hell. If you ever believed that Trump ran for president for his own personal and financial gain and literally no other reason, that episode will basically prove you emphatically, irrevocably, undeniably, 100% correct. His crookedness is actually worse than I imagined, and if there's one thing you can say for him, he's the most successful conman and snake-oil salesman in US, if not world, history. There are more lies propping him up than Enron and Bernie Madhoff combined.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:08 pm 

Because of its repeated mention here in this thread, I went and started on Black Mirror. I accidentally watched season 4 ep 1 first, and thought well, this is amusing, but then backtracked to season 1.

Holy shit, this show is brilliant. It doesn't try to get too reality-flippy (I don't know where the comparisons to The Twilight Zone came from). It is straight up thinking man's hard SF. This is the same kind of SF I like to read, let alone watch, and seeing it executed so well is a genuine treat.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 182  Next