Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:15 pm 

Errebuss wrote:
Just found out that Two and a Half Men won't be cancelled. It's the show that just won't die. If there was any doubt before, I can now assuredly say that there is no god.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/13/offic ... -half-men/

As a Two And A Half Men fan, I can't see this working. Charlie Sheen pretty much is the show, and the producers should've let the show die when he left. I will watch it out of curiosity, just to see how Ashton will integrate into the show, but I can't see it working as well as with Charlie.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:31 pm 

Interesting article for those of you into Louis CK's standup, or his neat show 'Louie' which is in production for its second season at the moment:
http://nymag.com/print/?/arts/tv/upfron ... ck-2011-5/

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:08 pm 

...So, uhh, has anyone been keeping up with the Bachelorette? Next Monday's episode looks intense.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:20 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

As a Two And A Half Men fan, I can't see this working. Charlie Sheen pretty much is the show, and the producers should've let the show die when he left. I will watch it out of curiosity, just to see how Ashton will integrate into the show, but I can't see it working as well as with Charlie.[/quote]

It's entertaining to see the reflection of Sheen's real ego in his role as Charlie Harper, but I don't think he can't be replaced. His character is basically gone through every imaginable situation and now the focus should rather be on Alan or Jake. Season 7 just recently ended in Germany and the end of Charlie's and Chelsea's relationship was stretched way too long imo. Don't know about Season 8, but I can't really see how Charlie can be the central part of the show any longer.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 pm 

I thought the latest episode of South Park was actually the funiest/best so far. seemed somewhat more like the old style of episode - not just relying on being a super up to date parody of something in the news/whatever. I lol'd a few times actually. (which annoyed my girlfriend coz she was asleep).

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:03 pm 

CoF wrote:
It's entertaining to see the reflection of Sheen's real ego in his role as Charlie Harper, but I don't think he can't be replaced. His character is basically gone through every imaginable situation and now the focus should rather be on Alan or Jake. Season 7 just recently ended in Germany and the end of Charlie's and Chelsea's relationship was stretched way too long imo. Don't know about Season 8, but I can't really see how Charlie can be the central part of the show any longer.

My mate has a lot of season 8 downloaded, with Sheen still in the show, and he reckons it's still quite funny. He also observed that Charlie's character is drunk more of the time and his dialogue is a little more asinine. I'm interested in watching it, and I will at some point. I do agree with the focus being on Alan and Jake, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:33 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
I thought the latest episode of South Park was actually the funiest/best so far. seemed somewhat more like the old style of episode - not just relying on being a super up to date parody of something in the news/whatever. I lol'd a few times actually. (which annoyed my girlfriend coz she was asleep).

Yeah it was the best one of the season definitely. Every scene with the Japanese and Chinese guys arguing with each other were hilarious.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:33 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
CoF wrote:

My mate has a lot of season 8 downloaded, with Sheen still in the show, and he reckons it's still quite funny. He also observed that Charlie's character is drunk more of the time and his dialogue is a little more asinine. I'm interested in watching it, and I will at some point. I do agree with the focus being on Alan and Jake, though.

Just one word:
It-would-suck-without-Charlie-Sheen

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:03 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Just one word:
It-would-suck-without-Charlie-Sheen

It sucked with Charlie Sheen. All of Chuck Lorre's sitcoms are pretty awful, though the worst was Dharma and Greg, gah.

The new South Park was decent. I didn't find it super funny, but the plot kept me constantly asking "Where is this all going? How are these two story lines going to connect?" So it stayed pretty interesting.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:39 pm 

Errebuss wrote:
All of Chuck Lorre's sitcoms are pretty awful.

Wait a minute! The Big Bang Theory is AWESOME!

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:52 pm 

Every time I've seen an episode of The Big Bang Theory, I just find it boring. I think the characters are too cliche and uninteresting. Sure, there will be an occasional good line, but the bulk of it I just don't find funny.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:56 pm 

Errebuss wrote:
Every time I've seen an episode of The Big Bang Theory, I just find it boring. I think the characters are too cliche and uninteresting. Sure, there will be an occasional good line, but the bulk of it I just don't find funny.

That's because you don't get most of the jokes ;)

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:45 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Errebuss wrote:

That's because you don't get most of the jokes ;)
I watched about ten episodes to see if i liked it. I got the jokes, but it just seemed like another awful cookie cutter sitcom like every other. Dharma & Greg, Caroline in the City, Cybill, Everybody Loves Raymond. It's just those shows but with two pathetic TV style renditions of "nerds" and a couple of science-based jokes in there. There's nothing to it. "Oooh one guy likes that girl, but is awkward around her and she's a bit cool for him and there's some sexual tension there" blergh.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:51 am 

There are jokes?

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:28 am 

Two and A Half Men will definitely be odd to see without Chariie, but i'm not opposd to the idea. IT is about time something in that show changed. I'm just not really an Ashton Kutcher fan by any means, so we'll see. I've been hooked on Weeds, althought it's beginning to get quite rediculous at points. And patiently waiting for true blood to start up again.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:00 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
"Oooh one guy likes that girl, but is awkward around her and she's a bit cool for him and there's some sexual tension there" blergh.

This makes me avoid watching it, to be honest, but if it was on and I was forced to watch it, I wouldn't be opposed. It's okay for what it is, but I won't go out of my way to see any of it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:22 am 

Who cares about the love relationship? Sheldon alone makes TBBT worthwhile watching! :D

But yeah, most sitcoms at some point suffer from being too concerned with this stuff, though How I Met Your Mother and Scrubs managed to make this not so much a problem. It's Alway Funny In Philadelphia avoids this topic probably best.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:59 am 

CoF wrote:
Who cares about the love relationship? Sheldon alone makes TBBT worthwhile watching! :D

My point.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:09 am 

Two and a Half men got annoying after a few episodes for me. The characters are very one dimensional and they never explored a great deal of depth with them. Charlie was just a partyboy with no morals who couldn't keep his dick in his pants around hot girls, his brother was a dork who could be awkward around girls and was jealous of charlie's success with screwing so many women, and they both didn't like seeing their mother who enjoyed telling them how much they suck at life. And the kid is just an idiot. That is really all there is to it. I will never see why this show is so much more popular than a lot of other shows. And I cannot stand Ashton Kutcher, ever since I first saw him in that 70s show so even more reason for me to not watch any new seasons.

I just saw the finale of season 7 for house and it was complete shit. This season was a total mess with the personal drama between the characters, especially after House and Cuddy split. Hard to imagine such experienced people would write this crap. It is just a soap now with the writers out of ideas for what cases to put the team on with the cases being given a back seat to the personal drama. The actress playing Cuddy made a good decision to not renew her contract for another season.

Only show I enjoy is Dexter now and it will be a while before the new season. I should find a new show to sink my teeth into.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:18 am 

Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are fun. Of course they're junk food TV at best, but they're good to wind down to and I always found em at least a little entertaining. Just mindless shit to waste some time with while you relax.

Dexter is awesome though. Can never get enough of that show, and Facebook's been posting some updates for the new season that make it look like a ton of fun. Can't wait.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:20 pm 

Last week, I bought Daria: The Complete Animated Series, and holy shit, this show's addicting. Although I was aware she was originally on Beavis and Butt-head and since spun-off, it never occurred to me to check it out until recently. To say the least, I'm pleasantly surprised. The writing is neat, and the supporting cast is just as refreshing and intriguing as the eponymous character. Daria's caustic one-liners are brilliant.

Thus far, I've seen every episode from the premiere through I Loathe a Parade, and by the end of next week, I'll finish up the entire set.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:37 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are fun. Of course they're junk food TV at best, but they're good to wind down to and I always found em at least a little entertaining. Just mindless shit to waste some time with while you relax.

Dexter is awesome though. Can never get enough of that show, and Facebook's been posting some updates for the new season that make it look like a ton of fun. Can't wait.

Why settle for junkfood TV, really? I'm not gonna bother using hard drive space on it. There are so many great sitcoms out there waiting to be discovered. Like with films, there's no need to watch whatever's on at the movies right now/What's on TV, simply because it's on. I dunno, i just feel there's no need to watch stuff like that.

In other news:

Have you guys seen this? New show on HBO with comedians talking about comedy, etc:
http://www.hbo.com/comedy/talking-funny/index.html

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:00 pm 

Eh, I wouldn't call it settling if I just watch it whenever I see it on and enjoy it. Not saying it's GREAT TV or anything. :p

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

From what I've seen from TaaHM, I'd say it's in the McDonald's category of junk, with TBBT siding with Subway. Cookie included.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Have you guys seen this? New show on HBO with comedians talking about comedy, etc:
http://www.hbo.com/comedy/talking-funny/index.html

Not sure if you're aware, but you can watch the one with Ricky Gervais and crew on YouTube (in 4 parts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V4q-zb2iI4

ZarathustraHead wrote:

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

From what I've seen from TaaHM, I'd say it's in the McDonald's category of junk, with TBBT siding with Subway. Cookie included.

Word.
MikeyC wrote:
Not sure if you're aware, but you can watch the one with Ricky Gervais and crew on YouTube (in 4 parts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V4q-zb2iI4

Cheers for the link. I have a similar show to this but it's British - with one British comic/comic actor being interviewed/featured on each episode. It's called Comic's Choice. Quite a decent watch.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:56 pm 

Big Bang Theory blows. It's very tiresome.

I've seen quite a few episodes of Two & A Half Men season 8, and it's fucking terrible. Lame, worn out jokes, Charlie is just drunk and tedious, Alan is getting laid left and right by the wrong women which is just ludicrous, and I cannot fathom Jake grown up - he just freaks me out. It's dead in the water, and removing Charlie and replacing him with Michael Kelso sounds fucking awful.

I'm doing a lot of Walking Dead (it's a show about zombies - SOLD!), Murder She Wrote (all 12 seasons), Better Off Ted (one of the best sitcoms in a long time), Modern Family (ditto), Star Trek Next Gen seasons 1 and 2 (again), Robot Chicken (seasons 1-3).

Best find in a while has been Come Fly With Me. Basically Little Britain in an airport with David Walliams and Matt Lucas. If you like LB, you'll dig this. Laughed my ass off.

Still haven't tried Dexter yet, but the amount of hype on it has scared me off. I'll get round to it...

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:17 am 

I had Better Off Ted on my hard drive for a couple years, but every time i tried watching it i just cringed the whole way through. Seemed pretty much like every other lame, PG style uninventive sitcome out there.

Walking Dead on the other hand - i thought was pretty awesome. Definitely keen to watch the next season. There were some real cool moments/ideas about that show. I liked the whole section with that dude using the Abrams tank to hide out in, etc. The British z-series Dead Set is pretty cool too. More of a black comedy vibe though.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:25 am 

Agroguitarist wrote:

What's wrong with the world this days?
TBBT is awesome. Period. :lol:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:48 am 

Agroguitarist wrote:
Still haven't tried Dexter yet, but the amount of hype on it has scared me off. I'll get round to it...

It stands out a lot from other shows as it is so dark, yet it is generally very realistic. Apart from a few bits here and there it doesn't get to over the top, which makes it all that more engaging for me. I also like the pace of the movie, how you are learning about the character through each season while he is learning about himself as well. The audience can really identify with him (apart from his 'dark passenger'). Too many shows run out of ideas after a few seasons, but Dexter stays strong. House for example shifted to more of a soap opera through the seasons and it seemed that the writers kept trying to outdo previous season finales that it got ridiculous. Too many of the cases went overboard with stories that felt like they should be on Jerry Springer.

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:31 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Agroguitarist wrote:

What's wrong with the world this days?
TBBT is awesome. Period. :lol:

Each to their own. I just sit through that show wondering what I'm supposed to laugh at.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:21 am 

The Big Bang Theory is awesome, if only for Sheldon.

AcidWorm wrote:
.... yet it is generally very realistic.

:lol: No it's not. I love Dexter and all, but it's far from realistic.

The only realistic TV show I've seen yet is probably The Wire.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:58 am 

Dexter is good because it's dependable. It doesn't try and take too many risks and yet the writing, characters and stories are all addictive and compelling all the same. Each season generally follows a somewhat similar outline, but they all have strong stories and remain consistently interesting. Depending on what mood I'm in, any season might seem like the best one. Just a good, solid show all around.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:24 pm 

Agroguitarist wrote:
I just sit through that show wondering what I'm supposed to laugh at.

Yeah, most people have that problem... I just sit there and laugh the entire time...

And not every Physicist is like that you know? Many are, but not all.

Morrigan wrote:
The Big Bang Theory is awesome, if only for Sheldon.

I was discussing that with my girlfriend. All the other characters are kind of disposable, but TBBT without Sheldon would just SUCK.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:23 pm 

Attitude wrote:
I don’t watch TV as it bores me to tears and I switched the damn thing off about 8 years ago. However, I do enjoy some TV shows and if it’s something I really like, I’ll buy the series box sets on DVD or Blu-Ray, rather than sit through commercial nonsense.

I’m a huge fan of Trailer Park Boys.. possibly the funniest show I’ve ever seen. I love the characters and the writing is great and has had some guest appearances from the likes of Rush and Sebastian Bach (Skid Row).

Breaking Bad. Currently I only have seasons 1 & 2 via download, but I’ll be getting the series next year. For those that haven’t seen it, here’s a brief synopsis of season one from Wikipedia:

“Set and produced in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Breaking Bad is the story of Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with advanced lung cancer at the beginning of the series. He turns to a life of crime, producing and selling methamphetamine with his former student Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) in a desire to secure his family's financial future”.

I’m a Ricky Gervais fan, we share a similar sense of humour. The Office (English version!!) was excellent.. Extras was awesome. Some of the episodes were almost cringe worthy and very amusing. I think it was a good thing to only run two seasons.

Yeah, i quit watching TV when i moved out of home 2002, so yeah about the same, and i can't be bothered with the commercial nuisance or being "told" what and when to watch shows. That doesn't mean that there are no good shows being made, or you cant watch the shows as files or DVD/Bluray though.

Yeah i really like Extras too. Not nearly as many people tend to be into that show compared with his first show Office, but it's still great. The celebrities on each episode make absolute twats out of themselves, which is brilliant. Orlando Bloom acting all insecure and whinging about Johnny Depp - brilliant.

Trailer Park is indeed awesome. A lot of people tend to avoid - dudes i know both here and on the internet, due to its crass nature, and lowbrow style, but i can assure all that its a very well thought out show - with a really great cast of characters, awesome longtime "in jokes", well thought out story arcs, and tonnes of laughs. Sad to see that show finish, but we have 7 seasons and a few features out of it, and the hope of more features. Mike Tremblay and others from the show are looking into making other shows now too, which sounds promising.

Breaking Bad is awesome - one of the best TV dramas along with Sopranos & The Wire. Brian Cranston (who's appeared in Seinfeld & Malcolm in the Middle) easily in his best performance of his career. Amazing work. An excellent drama with plenty of action, strange story twists, quite a lot of realistic stuff woven in, relatable scenarios, and really, really original, gripping and biting stuff. Recommended.

imthatguy666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:29 pm 

TV is a waste of time

And yes I now feel fulfilled
"Metal is a means by which to contemplate and momentarily transcend the blind cruelty, oppressive tedium, and tragic absurdity of existence."

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:32 pm 

On Friday I finished watching Dollhouse, Community and Weeds. After that I started watching Mad Men, which is really good so far. I wish I had a job where I could smoke and drink.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:37 pm 

In any case you should all see Grounded for Life.
One of my favorites.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:54 pm 

I tried watching weeds about 5 years ago, when this dick hipster dude i used to flat with was raving about it. I thought it came across as trying way too hard and it really seemed ridiculous. I pretty much lump that one in with Prison Break and Lost as shows i don't want anything to do with. For dramas i prefer Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, The Wire, with The Pacific, Sons of Anarchy and Dead Wood rating honorable mentions.

Really looking forward to new Breaking Bad - isn't that coming out June/July?

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:06 am 

I tried getting into Breaking Bad, and I just couldn't follow it from the beginning, I guess it's something you have to watch from the beginning to understand it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 182  Next