Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:04 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Just watched a great episode of S5 of Voyager.

It's the one where the Doctor, Harry Kim and some random ensign are attacked by an alien whose weapon hits all three at once. The doctor is basically unharmed, but Harry and the ensign's nervous systems start to degrade at the exact same rate as a result of being hit by the weapon, forcing the doctor to make a call as to which one to save. He chooses Harry and the ensign dies. What follows is an internal struggle in the Doctor's own mind about his decision and he basically goes insane. I thought it was a really neat way for that to happen: basically, the Doctor had his programming challenged (choose the patient with the greatest chances of living) by a freak occurrence where their odds of survival were exactly the same, forcing him to make the decision based on his nascent humanity, choosing his friend. While I wouldn't quite rate it as highly as "The Measure of a Man" from TNG, this was definitely up there, and absolutely one of the best VOY episodes so far.

That series is the worst of the existing Star Trek shows, so any stand-outs in it are rare. I only vaguely recall that one, but it backs up my frequent critique of the show as "the only interesting characters are a hologram and the half-robot woman." It wasn't until Seven was added and the Doctor started getting episodes that they finally had interesting characters and they finally came up with interesting stories.

One of my favorites of that show, though, is the one where the Doctor writes a holonovel of life on-board Voyager--and he basically writes himself as awesome and everybody else as overbearing assholes.

Also, an episode where you see Jeri Ryan singing on the holodeck. I don't remember why, but holy fuck, does she have a great voice. At least one person on that show was good at something.

My ex and I watched all Trek series in production order at one point. We stopped about halfway through Voyager because the show is just fucking painful and boring as hell. It's the most formulaic where every other problem is Treknobabble and they try to solve it with Treknobabble, but it fails until they come up with New Treknobabble, and then success. We were dreading Enterprise... And then it turned out that show was actually getting to be really quite good in the latter two seasons--then it was canned.

There's also something else I noticed watching all these Trek shows in a row: Without certain characters, the ship/station would have been destroyed countless times over--as it was heavily reliant on singular character abilities to solve many issues. Data, the Voyager Doctor, Odo, etc. They were indispensable in not only solving problems, but in saving the day entirely on so many fucking occasions. It starts to make you wonder how any other ship or station survives without an android or hologram or something to fix half of their problems.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 am 

I dunno, I think Voyager is definitely weaker than TNG or DS9, especially since it's basically just TNG 2: This Time With Lamer Characters And Writing, but it's not terrible. I do really like the Doctor, Seven's good, and Tuvok is good but underutilized, and Janeway's a fine captain. It's just that the other characters range from one note (B'lanna) to dull as shit (Tom Price, Harry Kim, Chakotay) to super annoying (Neelix). I'm about halfway through S5 now and have no intention of leaving the series unfinished.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:14 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Tuvok is good

Uh oh, you've just triggered FSM.

Harry Kim is fucking horrible though, it's so sad that when they added Seven they kicked out Kes rather than that blahtastrophe of an actor and character. Apparently he was a total diva and dick to work with on camera, never showing up on time, and there's even one episode of VOY where he doesn't appear at all (the episode where Torres tries to bone Paris because she's in heat). This was reportedly "punishment" for not doing his job properly.

But I really love Tom Paris as soon as they stopped trying to make him seem like this generic hedonistic snarky badboy ex-con smooth-talking flyboy and just turned him into a nice guy with eccentric tastes. Bryan Fuller's 'Bride of Chaotica!' was brilliant, best comedy episode of Star Trek, imho. Oh, and it looks like that episode immediately follows Latent Image too, let me know what you think!

Also in my opinion, Equinox is second only to Best of Both Worlds as the best Star Trek two-parter. Though that one DS9 episode where Sisko returns to earth to root out a possible changeling in the high-ups at starfleet was damn close too. The bit where his own father cuts his finger while chopping vegetables, and Sisko immediately looks over his shoulder to see if his dad blood was curdling into changeling goo gets me every damn time.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:31 am 

Let me know when you read my post about that episode on the previous page!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:54 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Tuvok is good

Uh oh, you've just triggered FSM.

Harry Kim is fucking horrible though, it's so sad that when they added Seven they kicked out Kes rather than that blahtastrophe of an actor and character. Apparently he was a total diva and dick to work with on camera, never showing up on time, and there's even one episode of VOY where he doesn't appear at all (the episode where Torres tries to bone Paris because she's in heat). This was reportedly "punishment" for not doing his job properly.

You're my friend again. I FUCKING loathe Harry Kim. The character sucks, the actor sucks and all the episodes about him were bad! I heard about how the actor was a prick too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:54 pm 

Kim is terrible, Paris is terrible, Bananaklingonlady is terrible, Native American caricature man is terrible, Tuvok is slightly better but still terrible...Janeway is okay, the doctor is great, 7 of 9 is decent.

God what a terrible cast, seriously. Don't get me started on fucking NEELIX.

Enterprise is definitely way way better than VOY.

TNG > DS9 > ENT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VOY
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:47 pm 

Paris is great after season 3. Just magnetically likeable and friendly like the actor who plays him, only faltering when the writers try to make him seem like the badass he was originally written to be. B'elanna and Chakotay are fine, though Chakotay's native american stuff is pure cringe and his episodes rival Harry Kim in terribleness (did like his dream episodes, though). Tuvok is great, the doctor is usually great but can get really fucking annoying sometimes and 7 of 9 has the best character arc in Star Trek (Nog going from an annoying scratchy-voiced kid with nothing interesting to say, to an annoying scratchy-voiced Starfleet Officer with nothing interesting to say to an annoying scratchy-voiced PTSD victim with nothing interesting to say isn't an arc). Janeway is peerless and I'm convinced much of the online hate directed towards her is simply misogyny.

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force is the best game ever made simply because you can vaporize Neelix; sure, your game will end and you'll have to reload, but the very fact that option exists is truly wonderful.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:02 pm 

so...what do people think about the new Discovery trailer?

it looks pretty fucking bad, doesn't it? Is it just me? It looks like Abrams-lite, really action-y...maybe I'm wrong or maybe the trailer isn't an accurate representation. I fucking hope not.

either way, another stupid ass prequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:37 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

it looks pretty fucking bad, doesn't it? Is it just me? It looks like Abrams-lite, really action-y...maybe I'm wrong or maybe the trailer isn't an accurate representation. I fucking hope not.

I think it looks like crap. And it looks like they redesigned the Klingons.

If it's exclusive to CBS's streaming service, that should do well to kill it early. Who's paying for that? No one.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:53 pm 

I've felt let down by the Discovery news and trailers so far. Part of that involves rumors and delays, and part of it is that I get the feeling that it won't appeal to me as a somewhat old(ish) school Trek fan. I don't even mind changes like with the look of the Klingons (it wouldn't be the first time), but I just worry that the production/writing/directing style will be 'slick' rather than 'thoughtful.' Then again, I liked Enterprise--except the finale--even though at first I was pessimistic ("wait, that Quantum Leap guy? seriously?" "dear god what is this theme music?" etc.)

Since Nog was brought up I'll add that even though I wasn't much of a fan of his character, nonetheless he was front and center in two of my favorite comedic Trek episodes: In the Cards, and Treachery, Faith, and the Great River.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:55 pm 

This really doesn't look like it'll be as good as Enterprise :/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:12 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

If it's exclusive to CBS's streaming service, that should do well to kill it early. Who's paying for that? No one.

Yes. They did redesign the Klingons. I wonder why they did that.

Of course the trailer is going to be filled with action and terrible philosophical mumbo-jumbo that was clearly chopped-up in post; it's a trailer. I don't like the Abrams i-pod cinematography, but what u gonna do.

Also, the show was bought by Netflix which apparently paid for the entire budget of the series and has all but ensured a second season. Just so you know.

Bryan Fuller wrote the pilot and designed the show bible; it may falter in production values (though I'd fucking hope not, as each episode has been given a $7 million budget), but the writing will be rocksteady, I promise.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 pm 

Michelle Yeoh as captain has me really stoked though. She was AMAZING in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Of course the trailer is going to be filled with action and terrible philosophical mumbo-jumbo that was clearly chopped-up in post; it's a trailer. I don't like the Abrams i-pod cinematography, but what u gonna do.

Also, the show was bought by Netflix which apparently paid for the entire budget of the series and has all but ensured a second season. Just so you know.

Bryan Fuller wrote the pilot and designed the show bible; it may falter in production values (though I'd fucking hope not, as each episode has been given a $7 million budget), but the writing will be rocksteady, I promise.

Like whenever Nintendo is about to announce something, I'll keep my hype for this flatly grounded. I think this looks like a mess, and the way the franchise has gone in recent years does not fill me with hope that improvements are coming. I don't think anyone who's handled it in recent years even understands what the hell the franchise was even about in the first place. Abrams certainly didn't, and he was the worst choice for the job.

Abrams in charge of/directin Star Trek is like putting a climate change denier in charge of the EPA. And it's just been downhill since then. I haven't even seen the last movie after Into Darkness was nothing but a colossal pile of shit.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:36 am 

I'm definitely hoping it doesn't suck, but I gotta agree with R_H for the most part. But I mean, I'll definitely give it a shot, and if it doesn't suck I'll be super happy.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:02 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Like whenever Nintendo is about to announce something, I'll keep my hype for this flatly grounded. I think this looks like a mess, and the way the franchise has gone in recent years does not fill me with hope that improvements are coming. I don't think anyone who's handled it in recent years even understands what the hell the franchise was even about in the first place. Abrams certainly didn't, and he was the worst choice for the job.

Abrams in charge of/directin Star Trek is like putting a climate change denier in charge of the EPA. And it's just been downhill since then. I haven't even seen the last movie after Into Darkness was nothing but a colossal pile of shit.

Bryan Fuller can do Trek better than Roddenberry. And yes, he's left the production staff to focus on American Gods. But he's written the first several episodes and planned the direction for the first two seasons. Along with Nicholas Meyer. You know, the guy who made the two best (and frankly, only genuinely good) Star Trek movies.

Abrams has nothing to do with the TV show proper, but obviously marketers are going to want to appeal to the nu-Trek fanbase with trailers like the one above.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:04 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm definitely hoping it doesn't suck, but I gotta agree with R_H for the most part. But I mean, I'll definitely give it a shot, and if it doesn't suck I'll be super happy.

Well, at least we'll always have Galaxy Quest: The TV Show :lol:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:57 am 

That looks amazing hahahahah.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:26 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Michelle Yeoh as captain has me really stoked though. She was AMAZING in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

She's great in general! Honestly I'm really looking forward to the show. Big budget fancy Trek with good real Trek writing? Yes please. As far as I'm concerned the only worry is that characters might suck, which is the biggest problem in any Trek series.

People hate Janeway, though? Like...why? Maybe it's just me being a man, but I don't like her quite as much as Picard or Sisko, but she's still super good. I think I like Picard so much (well, apart from Patrick Stewart just being awesome) because the very concept of this sort of wise philosopher king running the shiniest ship in Starfleet is just an immensely appealing idea for me, and coming after the swashbuckling of Kirk it was just kinda a revelation. Sisko follows in the wise Starfleet captain tradition but has much more of a personal side, with a family, relationships, tangible ties to Earth and Earth culture. Janeway mostly just exists as the captain of Voyager, wandering through the delta quadrant. That's down to the writing and circumstances, though, not Mulgrew's performance or anything.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:00 am 

So many great lines and scenes in that last Silicon Valley episode, just absolutely love that show. They're nailing the end credits music as usual.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:18 pm 

So how's the new Twin Peaks?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:59 pm 

It's fucking awesome. We've only seen the first two hours so far, so obviously there's plenty of time for it to screw everything up, but based on those first two hours it's so far above my expectations it's not even funny. And I had pretty high expectations, too.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:05 pm 

I'm about to watch it! First-time broadcast of the new episode from HBO here, can't imagine what it was like for the fans who've waited 26 years!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:13 pm 

Can a complete Twin Peak virgin pick the new series right up, or should I smash through the original for my own sake first?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:13 pm 

I'd say watch the original, there's a lot that would be impossible to follow without knowing how the first series ended.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 am 

Metantoine wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Definitely the high point of the season thus far. Jian Yang is fuckin' hilarious.

Octopus!
Master of None was fantastic. We should discuss the season once you're done.

I finished MoN last night. It was pretty darn good. It's miles ahead of the first season, way more mature. The relationship issues they've tackled are so relatable, they're not even funny! Apart from that, I loved the "New York" episode, which was a tad random but fun. Yes, we must talk about it. I'll get on #metal soon.

I've heard good things about Twin Peaks too. Imma get into that tonight.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:25 am 

Supernatural S10E5, "Fan Fiction," is one of the best episodes of the entire series. It's Supernatural done meta as the Winchesters investigate a drama teacher's odd disappearance...only to find a student play being put on based on the work of Carver Edlund, otherwise known as the prophet Chuck (whose work detailing the lives of the Winchesters are cult smashes in genre fiction). Talks of transformative fiction, playing with the series' established tropes, and a wonderfully meta look at what the show actually means to its fans only amplify the episode's quality. The smile on my face when the end credits rolled was so wide my girlfriend couldn't believe it.

Fuck, this pulpy "X-Files for the CW crowd" show is great in ways that similar fare (namely Joss Whedon's work) wishes it could be.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Spoiler: show

Bryan Fuller can do Trek better than Roddenberry. And yes, he's left the production staff to focus on American Gods. But he's written the first several episodes and planned the direction for the first two seasons. Along with Nicholas Meyer. You know, the guy who made the two best (and frankly, only genuinely good) Star Trek movies.

Abrams has nothing to do with the TV show proper, but obviously marketers are going to want to appeal to the nu-Trek fanbase with trailers like the one above.

A lot of people can do Trek better than Roddenberry, as the first two dreadful seasons of TNG illustrate. I swear every Trek series has the same problem--two seasons of cringe-inducing writing, plotting, and character development followed by the rest of the series being pretty great, except for the first one, which only had 3 seasons and got into it's groove a bit sooner. Also, Voyager barely rose above the hard mediocrity it started with. TNG, DS9, Enterprise, though, all really picked up after the first two seasons. Indeed, had Enterprise not been canned, I think it was on it's way to being almost as good as TNG, TOS, and DS9.

I know Abrams has nothing to do with the show, as you noted, it's his over-arching influence I'm afraid of. When they first did the teaser for this new Trek, they highlighted "new enemies" as a part of the series, and goddammit, Trek was never about heroes vs enemies. That simplistic black and white moralizing is for fucking Star Wars. Trek was about discovery and understanding. A classic Trek storyline involves them confronting a threat and understanding it, not killing/defeating it for fuck's sake.

Even the best Trek movie (and arguably one of the best pure science fiction films ever), Star Trek II went into this nuance more than just "Kirk vs Khan." The mindgames, the misunderstandings, the quest for revenge, the technology subplot. Everything fucking worked in that one.

I will give the show a chance if I don't have to shell out extra money to do so. Put it on Hulu, CBS, you dicks. But thus far... I have concerns and reservations. More than a single trailer should really have given me.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 am 

Erdrickgr wrote:
I've felt let down by the Discovery news and trailers so far. Part of that involves rumors and delays, and part of it is that I get the feeling that it won't appeal to me as a somewhat old(ish) school Trek fan. I don't even mind changes like with the look of the Klingons (it wouldn't be the first time).

They eventually fully canonized the change in the Klingons before.

TOS Klingons
Then movie, TNG, DS9 Klingons.
Then in DS9, they went back in time and showed that, yes, Klingons looked different before.
Then, in Enterprise, they had regular Klingons again.
Then, in Enterprise, they showed us exactly where the human-like Klingons came from.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:25 pm 

Honestly, I think it was kind of stupid even to bother. We don't need a backstory as to why the transporter sparklies look different, we don't need to know why they ditched the high-heeled boots and why female crew members don't wear miniskirts anymore. Just chalk things up to a lot budget and move on - in the DS9 time-travel episode it was played off as a meta joke, not meant to be a serious part of the lore. Fuck continuity.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:42 pm 

Twin Peaks is 100% Lynch. You don't understand half the shit that is going on (seriously) but it has that fucking delicious creepy, sinister plus WTF atmosphere that is very enjoyable.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:48 pm 

Hellooo-ooo-ooo!

The new Twin Peaks rules. I had high expectations and yet I'm surprised by the incredible quality of the third seasons. Of the first four episodes, the third one is my favorite one so far. I'm grateful to live in a time when a complete artist like David Lynch reaches his creative climax so late in his career. Anyone who doesn't watch this misses the most revolutionary television series ever.

I've tried to analyze the first episode: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/twin-peaks- ... a130244350

And I've tried to analyze the second episode as well: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/twin-peaks- ... a130244504

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:12 am 

I watched an episode of Voyager where George Costanza is a weird rapey space genius who hangs out with a robot and a jellyfish. It was incredible/terrible.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:31 am 

That episode was so hyped back in the day. Apparently Alexander is a huge Trekkie and he'd been begging Paramount for a role for years. They not only made him the guest of honor for that episode, they gave him an hilariously terrible low-budget one hour "special" where he gave a surprisingly good impression of Kirk. Wow, someone uploaded it to youtube now. I'm not sure I'd not not recommend it, mostly just for Costanza's Kirk. The gag reel is brilliant though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:46 am 

Welp, that's my evening, planned! Pumped.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:56 am 

I love how the uploader left the commercials in and didn't bother correcting the static in the right channel. Really brings the feeling of watching TV in the late-nineties back to life. In case you can't make it through the whole thing, someone uploaded the gag reel seperately: here.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:22 am 

Azmodes wrote:
So many great lines and scenes in that last Silicon Valley episode, just absolutely love that show. They're nailing the end credits music as usual.

Yup, the end credits was killer. Probably Mike Judge's influence.

So in slightly disappointing news, TJ Miller will be parting ways after this season. I think this is a big blow to the show. Mayhaps another character in the offing? Who knows.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/tj-m ... etwitterus

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:20 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I love how the uploader left the commercials in and didn't bother correcting the static in the right channel. Really brings the feeling of watching TV in the late-nineties back to life. In case you can't make it through the whole thing, someone uploaded the gag reel seperately: here.

Nah I just finished watching the whole thing. While the clip show part of it was kind of lame (the best TOS episode and the best DS9 episode were BOTH tribbles? weeeaaaak), and the Jason Alexander stuff also wasn't great, I did enjoy the 1999 commercials a whole lot. Armorines! Turok: Rage Wars! Galaxy Quest! Lycos! Blockbuster Video! I honestly that was the best part until the blooper real, which was goddamn fantastic. Loved Janeway's "Contact STAR.......... fleet." and Sisko's "I JUST MIGHT!" I also lost my shit at Tuvok getting phasered, haha.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:02 pm 

kluseba wrote:
The new Twin Peaks rules. I had high expectations and yet I'm surprised by the incredible quality of the third seasons. Of the first four episodes, the third one is my favorite one so far. I'm grateful to live in a time when a complete artist like David Lynch reaches his creative climax so late in his career. Anyone who doesn't watch this misses the most revolutionary television series ever

Ack, I am so pumped! Just have to get through the original series with the lady... though I am concerned that after slogging through the second season slump she might be a little less enthused for more.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:18 pm 

I finally got to see Twin Peaks, but only the first episode. And let me tell you, when
Spoiler: show
the whole, tense, slow and silent build-up to the appearance of that... thing in the glass box happened, it just felt so good feeling that level of horror once again. It was like the diner scene in Mulholland Drive - just pure nightmare logic.
I think I'm getting obsessed with Twin Peaks... again.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 182  Next