* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:40 pm 

This. Fuckin'. Show:
Hinterland (Y Gwyll)

Best thing I've seen in awhile, and the Welsh language is glorious and should be used more. Anyone else seen it? Best thing I've seen since Wallander as far as primetime detective shows go.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:16 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Dungeon_Vic wrote:
If Jimmy is a terrible person, then what is Chuck?

a good citizen and a bad brother who cares more about his profession and its reputation than his own family (which may not be a bad thing, but it's bad for his brother).

Better Call Saul spoilers up to the end of Season 2 below:

Spoiler: show
I wouldn't even go so far as to call him a bad brother. He helped Jimmy out when he probably should have just let him go to jail just so that he might learn his lesson. Remember, Chuck has dealt with Jimmy's shenanigans ever since Jimmy was a little kid. He's probably just sick and tired of having to pick up the pieces every single time Jimmy fucks up and then begs for forgiveness while saying "I'll change, I swear, this time it's for real!"

When it boils down to it, what was Chuck's actual crime? Not wanting Jimmy to practice law at his law firm? I think by now it's established that Chuck was perfectly within reason to not want to do that. Granted, Chuck also carries a lot of baggage and resentment towards Jimmy because despite all of Jimmy's flaws and all of his chicanery, he was still the Golden Son. Chuck did everything legit and still felt like he couldn't get the same level of respect that Jimmy got from the people who mattered most to him: his parents.

I think what frustrates Chuck the most is that he openly warns people about Jimmy and yet they choose to not listen to him. And then when Jimmy's actions start to negatively effect others, they'll go so far as to make excuses for him and defend him.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Last edited by stickyshooZ on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 pm 

Jimmy goes on to become an enabler to a drug organization partnered with a white supremacist hate group that leads to the death of like a dozen people. He is the worse brother here for the reasons listed above. In fact much of the time in BB, it's him who encourages Walt to continue and makes it easier for him to do the horrible things he does.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Jimmy goes on to become an enabler to a drug organization partnered with a white supremacist hate group that leads to the death of like a dozen people. He is the worse brother here for the reasons listed above.

how did that hurt his brother?

he might be the worse citizen of the two people who are brothers, but he's not as bad a brother to his brother as his is to him.

I'm talking 'family values' shit, here, like how people brag about how violent and thieving they're willing to be to do what's best for their daughter. hideous horrible citizens with top notch family values.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 am 

Better Call Saul:

Ι agree with all of you about Jim's conduct in the last episode, however I think we are overlooking the gradual transition of Jimmy to Saul. I especially like these series because it feels authentic in the way it portrays people's characters. Jimmy in the last episode is not the same Jimmy from the previous season, who was not the same Jimmy from the first season. The change does not occur in a vacuum, in fact the whole show is about that, what happened and that kind-hearted guy turned into Saul. And the answer is obviously, his brother, circumstances and the pressure to cope (I think the betrayal by his brother is underestimated). I still think Jim's a good person but now he's at the point you'd say "deep down...". He tricked the people at the music store at the very end but he did make sure he spent his own money to pay for the assistants. It's not black and white, is what I'm saying. Not that you are but I must admit I am a bit surprised at the harshness of the criticism towards his character. Perhaps there is an added element of disappointment?

Now, of course everyone can react differently to what they see emotionally and intellectually. Personally, I do not agree with Erotetic's assessment of Chuck, I think he is a deeply problematic individual, "bad brother" does not even begin to cover it and I see his influence and actions being the primary reason behind Jimmy turning into Saul.The trial was obviously the breaking/turning point.

In the end I think the series is a study of how to destroy human kindness, the personal responsibility and moral choices we make and so on. Same goes for Mike, whose primary motivation is taking care of his daughter-in-law and grandkid and ends up being Gustavo's man. Is it life, other people, circumstances? Are they "excused" for their choices? Where is the red line? In Jim's case it probably is Irene (but I sense that some think he was an asshole basically even before that). Is he beyond redemption? We'll see. Is there a point to redemption? Saul would argue that kindness got him shit. If you believe there is no karma, there is no judgement, hell, why would he care anymore? He helped his older brother during his psycho years, endured a lot of humiliation and ended up having him as his biggest enemy of his professional career. Irene is insignificant compared to Chuck. If he crossed that bridge, Irene was easy. But I am not sure yet he doesn't care about her. We'll see. On the other hand, every time Jimmy bends the rules, something shitty happens to Kim (who is his primary motivation to suceed, at the point of ignoring her own reservations), so maybe subconsciously they are toying with the concept of Karma.

Anyway, I like the fact that different people have different takes on the characters. That means they are not black and white.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Jimmy goes on to become an enabler to a drug organization partnered with a white supremacist hate group that leads to the death of like a dozen people. He is the worse brother here for the reasons listed above. In fact much of the time in BB, it's him who encourages Walt to continue and makes it easier for him to do the horrible things he does.

The Jimmy we are talking about has not done any of those things and he wouldn't do those kind of things unless something dramatic happened in his life. Which is the point of the whole BCS series. Up to the point we see in BCS, I insist that Chuch is far worse, with the Holier Than Thou attitude being the deciding factor. Reminds me a lot of the prodigal son story, which is strange in itself though (Big brother complains, some people insist he is right to complain). But I digress.

I do not agree that people do not change, that they are inherently bad or good, which is why I do not accept that Jimmy is worse than Chuck. Saul probably is. It's life and personal choices but I feel like the first is being underestimated here. Walter was much more responsible, he fucking enjoyed becoming a drug lord and lost himself in the process (but found himself again I'd say in the end). I don't know where BCS will end. When we catch up to the BB timeline? Maybe it will go further. Let's see.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:04 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

The Jimmy we are talking about has not done any of those things and he wouldn't do those kind of things unless something dramatic happened in his life. Which is the point of the whole BCS series. Up to the point we see in BCS, I insist that Chuch is far worse, with the Holier Than Thou attitude being the deciding factor. Reminds me a lot of the prodigal son story, which is strange in itself though (Big brother complains, some people insist he is right to complain). But I digress.

I do not agree that people do not change, that they are inherently bad or good, which is why I do not accept that Jimmy is worse than Chuck. Saul probably is. It's life and personal choices but I feel like the first is being underestimated here. Walter was much more responsible, he fucking enjoyed becoming a drug lord and lost himself in the process (but found himself again I'd say in the end). I don't know where BCS will end. When we catch up to the BB timeline? Maybe it will go further. Let's see.

Yeah, you're right that it isn't the Jimmy we know now who did those things I mentioned. There are more events to come and he will do more things to lead him down the slope. But my post was just a reaction to the general sense I got with Breaking Bad's Walt character - that people are looking at it in a binary way where Chuck is pure evil and Jimmy can do no wrong and is a good guy until he just isn't. When in reality, it's the masterful unreliable-narrator style of these shows that wires your brain into the conventional 'the main character must be good' motif. You saw this with BB - people defending Walt's actions like he was a hero. Now we're seeing it in a way with Jimmy, where people are defending his amoral actions as if they don't lead anywhere. Ironically, this is the mindset that does lead Jimmy down that criminal path - a feeling that if he's got good intentions, what he does to others doesn't matter.

I do like Jimmy as a character and I think he's very well written. I also think Chuck is a great character and I don't hate him the way some do. As is, their relationship is complex and morally grey - but it'd be a mistake to really label one good and the other bad, or to forget what Jimmy does later and how what he's doing now leads to it.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:06 pm 

I am about to start binge watching Fargo season 3. Is it as good as the previous 2?

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:21 pm 

metroplex wrote:
I am about to start binge watching Fargo season 3. Is it as good as the previous 2?

Definitely not, but it's still fairly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to its finale this week. I'd recommend it still, but keep your expectations lower than 1 and 2.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am 

been doing a rewatch of Nip-Tuck. I recall it being nicely fucked up and getting darker over time, making the first season seem so timid.

it was nice, but I'm nearly up to the last season and season 5 has been DRAGGING painfully, wallowing in wrapping up character arcs, excruciatingly ordinary like some Greys Anatomy bullshit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 pm 

Am I the only one watching the new Twin Peaks? I don't know how much people who aren't already fans of David Lynch would like it, but for people who are, like me, it's orgasmic. It is rather slow-paced, which has put some people off, but to me that's a plus rather than a minus. Every scene has room to breathe, there's no feeling of rushing like in a lot of modern TV, and when the pace does pick up, it's incredibly effective. Obviously the series isn't over yet, but so far it's easily one of the best things Lynch has ever done.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:58 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Am I the only one watching the new Twin Peaks? I don't know how much people who aren't already fans of David Lynch would like it, but for people who are, like me, it's orgasmic. It is rather slow-paced, which has put some people off, but to me that's a plus rather than a minus. Every scene has room to breathe, there's no feeling of rushing like in a lot of modern TV, and when the pace does pick up, it's incredibly effective. Obviously the series isn't over yet, but so far it's easily one of the best things Lynch has ever done.

YES. Bit behind on it so my wife and I are going to catch up on the newest two tonight. I actually was barely familiar with the original series going into it so I had to machine gun through them before I started watching this one. She's a bit more put off by the pacing, but I totally agree with your assessment.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 pm 

There's a long shot in one of the latest ones where a guy sweeps the floor of the Bang-Bang Bar for two minutes. It's amazing.

But yeah, a sort of downside to new Twin Peaks is you really need to be familiar with the original two seasons and the movie. Beyond just needing to know who the characters are and what's going on, there are a TON of references and callbacks. I suppose you don't NEED to get every single one, but they make it so much better. For example, in the original series, Cooper says "Hawk, if I ever get lost, I hope you're the man they send to find me." And guess who gets sent to look for him in the new series? It's not just a continuation or a "soft reboot" which takes place in the same universe but introduces a bunch of new characters and new storylines - it dovetails with the original two seasons (and movie) to an incredible degree.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:49 pm 

After the newest Game of Thrones trailer, I fucking need that show back. Like, yesterday.

Exkretor wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:41 pm 

I have finally completely fallen out of love with House of Cards. This season was a steaming pile of garbage.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I have finally completely fallen out of love with House of Cards. This season was a steaming pile of garbage.

As someone who hasn't seen any of the show yet, what is the point in which the show initially jumped ship in terms of quality?

Exkretor wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:43 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

As someone who hasn't seen it yet, what is the point in which the show initially jumped ship in terms of quality?

It was always pretty silly and over the top, but I enjoyed the first three seasons for the atmosphere and the tremendous acting performances. But now five seasons in it's just pointless and evident that the creators don't know what they're doing. Plots just come and go randomly, there's zero character development and the story we do get makes no sense. It's not a show that ever should've lasted this long.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:19 am 

I finally sat down and watched all of the first season of Ash vs Evil Dead.

I'm a huge fan of the original movie trilogy, especially the very original film. I was a tad apprehensive about this because of the very "hit or miss but mostly miss" nature of Sam Raimi's efforts in television. I was also not a fan of Hercules or Xena.

This, however, was fantastic. The writing, the dialog, the acting were all great. Some weak CG effects here and there. But story-wise, it returned to franchise roots without it feeling like overly obvious nostalgia bait. Indeed, it works that Ash would be revisiting his past in this as opposed to other forms of nostalgia-bait like the recent Star Wars movies or Jurassic World, which simply stole better scenes wholesale from superior, older films.

The characters here are all great, Bruce Campbell seems to be relishing being in the role again, and it mixes comedy and horror really well. I wish they'd just stop pretending CG gore adds anything of value to things like this, though. It always looks worse, obvious, and shitty. I'm all for more cartoonish Evil Dead splatter, but let's keep it old school, because, goddammit, that just looks better. Lucy Lawless adds a twist to the backstory that keeps it all fresh again. What a great fucking time.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:46 pm 

I finished Fargo season 3 this weekend and was not very impressed... Oh well, at least the first two seasons were great and I heard that there are no plans for a season 4 which is probably for the best I suppose.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
stickyshooZ wrote:
As someone who hasn't seen it yet, what is the point in which the show initially jumped ship in terms of quality?

It was always pretty silly and over the top, but I enjoyed the first three seasons for the atmosphere and the tremendous acting performances. But now five seasons in it's just pointless and evident that the creators don't know what they're doing. Plots just come and go randomly, there's zero character development and the story we do get makes no sense. It's not a show that ever should've lasted this long.

It really, really shouldn't have. The last shot of this season I thought "ugh, NO! just end the damn thing!". I think it was important to the first few seasons to have a sense that inevitably there would be a downfall, but now it's just a meandering plateau.

Plus
How many damn people are they going to kill?! And the idea that that Usher guy, a political strategist and campaign manager "solves problems" ie disposes of bodies and orders hits on people is absurd. Just... what? It was shocking when Frank killed Zoe at the start of S2, and I suppose it was supposed to show that Clarie had become just as ruthless as Frank by killing Tom, but by the time they killed Leanne it was just par for the course.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:43 pm 

Apparently they left it sort of open ended this time around in case they did just want to end it there. Which would be fine by me at this point. I definitely will not be watching any more in the future, either way.

I'm not sure I even got that it was Usher who ordered the hit - I thought Jane Davis did that. I dunno. It was confusing but I also didn't give a shit. These new characters are just pointlessly, ludicrously over the top and aren't sold with any kind of intrigue to make you interested. They're just chess pieces for the plot to accomplish whatever back flips the writers want. The whole plot about Frank orchestrating his own demise is so stupid that it makes me infuriated.

At least Orange is the New Black was awesome this year. And I'm looking forward to Stranger Things for another good Netflix show.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:03 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I finally sat down and watched all of the first season of Ash vs Evil Dead.

I'm a huge fan of the original movie trilogy, especially the very original film. I was a tad apprehensive about this because of the very "hit or miss but mostly miss" nature of Sam Raimi's efforts in television. I was also not a fan of Hercules or Xena.

This, however, was fantastic. The writing, the dialog, the acting were all great. Some weak CG effects here and there. But story-wise, it returned to franchise roots without it feeling like overly obvious nostalgia bait. Indeed, it works that Ash would be revisiting his past in this as opposed to other forms of nostalgia-bait like the recent Star Wars movies or Jurassic World, which simply stole better scenes wholesale from superior, older films.

The characters here are all great, Bruce Campbell seems to be relishing being in the role again, and it mixes comedy and horror really well. I wish they'd just stop pretending CG gore adds anything of value to things like this, though. It always looks worse, obvious, and shitty. I'm all for more cartoonish Evil Dead splatter, but let's keep it old school, because, goddammit, that just looks better. Lucy Lawless adds a twist to the backstory that keeps it all fresh again. What a great fucking time.

You're in for a real treat with S2, then, as it's that much better than S1 (featuring show-stealing performances from Lee Majors, Joel Tobeck, and TED RAIMI).

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Black Diamond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:06 pm 

AMC Renews Better Call Saul

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-sa ... r-season-4

Although a renewal for this show seemed inevitable, I am still glad to see an official announcement.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 am 

Just started Mad Dogs - pretty entertaining stuff. Bunch of dumb guys get into one bad situation after the next while on vacation in Belize. Apparently just a ten-episode deal, so not a huge time commitment either.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 am 

Finished The Leftovers. I enjoyed it overall but at the end I had that very annoying feeling of wasted potential. Plus I hate big gaping holes in the scenario and the Lost type of gimmicks of super mysteries that are later completely abandoned or ignored orproven to be nothings. Characters were emotional trainwrecks most of the time and completely absurd too. But, enjoyable, if not only for the discussions I had after watching it, mainly to diss what I saw!

Twin Peaks... man, it's really something. Fucking annoying, disturbing, creepy, completely impossible to follow what is going on (just tons of "WTF am I watching now" sequences) that somehow in the end leaves you with a very strong reaction and memory and that nagging feeling that you KNOW it all makes sense somehow. Lynch you son of a bitch.

Better Call Saul: best of them all. Completely loved it all.
And I told you Jimmy would regret the Irene thing! :P

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:22 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
You're in for a real treat with S2, then, as it's that much better than S1 (featuring show-stealing performances from Lee Majors, Joel Tobeck, and TED RAIMI).

Strangely enough, I do enjoy seeing Ted Raimi pop up now and again. I don't know why. Good to hear that it continues well. I'll have to wait for the Blu-Ray release as I don't have Starz.

Now, if they can just find a way to stick Jeffrey Combs into the series, I'll be ecstatic.

Have Bruce Campbell and Jeffrey Combs ever been on-screen together? That seems like an instant winner.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:56 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Strangely enough, I do enjoy seeing Ted Raimi pop up now and again. I don't know why. Good to hear that it continues well. I'll have to wait for the Blu-Ray release as I don't have Starz.

I literally only got Starz so I could watch this. And yeah, it's always great when Ted Raimi pops up. He has a charm to him that translates perfectly in every role.
Quote:
Have Bruce Campbell and Jeffrey Combs ever been on-screen together? That seems like an instant winner.

Oddly enough, only in Heat.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:12 pm 

The character arc of Jimmy (BCS) is so much more entertaining and thoughtful than Walter White, who from the very first season was

killing people (sometimes in self defense, sometimes not), making drugs that seriously screw up lives (including innocents like the children of junkies), blowing up a person's car just because the guy was a jerk, committing extortion, serious thefts, lying repeatedly to his family and putting them in danger, and turning down money that would 'save' his family from financial ruin because his ego/past got in the way; Walter White didn't become corrupt and evil, he was those things from the start, he just needed a little coaxing to come out of his shell

With Jimmy, there really is enough nuance and grey to make you wonder, 'If he just had this or that break, or bit of support, maybe he wouldn't have become Saul.' Acting oddly and bending the rules he would probably always do, but there's a big difference between bribing a courthouse worker with a stuffed animal, and the stuff he does in BB.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:04 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Twin Peaks... man, it's really something. Fucking annoying, disturbing, creepy, completely impossible to follow what is going on (just tons of "WTF am I watching now" sequences) that somehow in the end leaves you with a very strong reaction and memory and that nagging feeling that you KNOW it all makes sense somehow. Lynch you son of a bitch.

Have you watched episode 8 of The Return yet? It's probably the most avant-garde piece of television ever aired.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:54 pm 

Erdrickgr wrote:
The character arc of Jimmy (BCS) is so much more entertaining and thoughtful than Walter White, who from the very first season was

killing people (sometimes in self defense, sometimes not), making drugs that seriously screw up lives (including innocents like the children of junkies), blowing up a person's car just because the guy was a jerk, committing extortion, serious thefts, lying repeatedly to his family and putting them in danger, and turning down money that would 'save' his family from financial ruin because his ego/past got in the way; Walter White didn't become corrupt and evil, he was those things from the start, he just needed a little coaxing to come out of his shell

With Jimmy, there really is enough nuance and grey to make you wonder, 'If he just had this or that break, or bit of support, maybe he wouldn't have become Saul.' Acting oddly and bending the rules he would probably always do, but there's a big difference between bribing a courthouse worker with a stuffed animal, and the stuff he does in BB.

Yup, it's actually even more nuanced and complex than BB was. BB was a great crime story and had a great characterization of Walt as a villain growing less and less human, but BCS is a more layered story and shows the dimensions of a person and how one thing leads to another in their development.

Like how Jimmy didn't fully turn to Saul like we thought the show was doing this season - he pivoted back for Kim's sake. He's still not there yet and the fact that he could come back from the brink shows he's a complex person.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 am 

Started watching Season 25 of The Simpsons for some reason and... goddamn, since when did this show start kicking ass again? Bart writing "Judas Priest Is Not Death Metal" (after the show repeatedly called them death metal on the previous episode) on the chalkboard had me reeling for hours; I haven't laughed that hard at a cartoon on TV since, well, probably season 12 of The Simpsons. The other episodes weren't as good as the piracy one (where the Priest line originated), but they were still good and on a different coalescence of human spiritual cognizance than the awful 15-20 seasons. When did this paradigm shift happen? Pls tell me it's season 21.

Also, 12 Monkeys would be a masterpiece TV series if its first two seasons were compressed into a 6-hour miniseries. There's just so much crap that's transparently inserted to inflate the runtime, I really hope the last two seasons correct this, because it's honestly got some brilliant ideas to it but it's continuing to deliver diminishing returns. Anyone else tried watching it?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:33 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Agreed. This season was all over the place and attempted to find a strong storyline. Where previous seasons left me on the edge of my seat episode to episode, this season seemed predictable.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:46 am 

Haunted Shirt wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Agreed. This season was all over the place and attempted to find a strong storyline. Where previous seasons left me on the edge of my seat episode to episode, this season seemed predictable.

I haven't fallen out of love with it completely, but this season was indeed bad. I liked bits of it, but it was neither tense, nor clever. The ending was quite alright, although at this point, it's just such a bloated and convoluted plot that I don't even really care. I kinda hope the next season will be the last, especially with the ending.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:43 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Dungeon_Vic wrote:

Have you watched episode 8 of The Return yet? It's probably the most avant-garde piece of television ever aired.

Wrote the above after seeing that episode. it's strange, when watching it, after a few secs I yell at the TV "get on with it!" and more often than not "fucking Lynch, fucking Lynch". And then after a while I have the impression that what I watched was fucking awesome. My wife always laughs at that because I always act like I hate what I am watching and then keep talking about it positively. Definitely nothing like that on TV. It has this authentic avant garde feel to it that makes everything else feel absolutely tame in comparison.

But Dougie needs to wake up, fuck! :)

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:31 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I literally only got Starz so I could watch this. And yeah, it's always great when Ted Raimi pops up. He has a charm to him that translates perfectly in every role.
Quote:

Oddly enough, only in Heat.

That must be something other than the movie I'm thinking of. They aren't in that. The Val Kilmer movie.

Jeffrey Combs should be on Ash vs Evil Dead. The only question would be if he's a new character, or if they dare allow him to play Herbert West.

Sinfulsot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:32 am 

I'm slowly getting caught up on Fear The Walking Dead, which includes Talking Dead. I joined awhile ago, but never participated. Also, Chris Hardwick's weekly panel for FTWD should be called Talking Fear, but that's just me.

Overall, the show is averaging 'meh'. As far the universe of TWD is concerned, it is spot on. I like that Season 2 was the response to "Zombie Apocalypse? I'd just get a boat". And this season is about how a doomsday prepper commune responds to said apocalypse.

however, the learning curve of our characters seems a bit too quick. I like Nick and Alicia (Alycia?). Travis and their mom, not so much. Strand is interesting, but he can die any time.

Daniel Salazar is amazing! even in spite of the lightning bolt. which was more about creating the special effect. even though it moved the episode along as well as giving Daniel more questions re: why must he live after losing his wife and daughter.

Maybe i am suffering some sort of zombie fatigue since i've read TWD books (up to issue #132 via the hard cover volumes) as well as the show (which i started before the books). I still have the final three episodes and i can give a better opinion overall.

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Respectfully, I could not disagree with you more. The show is incredibly well written and rivalled only by Designated Survivor.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:35 am 

What did you think was well written about this current season? I just found it elongated and dull. And the twists that cropped up toward the end were incredibly bad to me.

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:57 am 

Empyreal wrote:
What did you think was well written about this current season? I just found it elongated and dull. And the twists that cropped up toward the end were incredibly bad to me.

That's a really good question. I haven't yet considered it to be as weak as the other seasons, but I'm not quite finished on it yet either - that might be why. I do have a particular penchant for political-based dramas, so It's possibly a case of rose-tainted glasses.

This will sound entirely lame, but I cannot answer you.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:06 pm 

Can't stop watching Critical Role. Up to halfway through episode 41 now. The acting/story are going to whole new levels.
Man, as intense as it was watching Percy slowly losing his shit as the demon that possessed him began to manifest itself more and more as he got closer and closer to completing The List, this new Chroma Conclave arc is starting off on an incredibly strong foot. Up to this point we've mostly seen Vox Machina kicking ass left and right, so seeing them get their asses handed to them by the weaker dragons of the four as they utterly laid waste to entire swathes of the city was terrifying. But, best of all, has been Grog stepping up the RP game to an insane degree. HOLY SHIT did it get intense when he started confronting people in Percy's workshop about using that skull to make a wish - the way he shifted from goofy, comic-relief Grog to tunnel visioned, simple minded, possibly feeling the creeping evil of his sentient sword Grog who just became this "oh...fuck..." presence in that room was brilliant to watch. I seriously thought there was going to be a bloodbath in there. That sword is going to lead to some serious shit - that single round of combat where he just completely destroyed three people with massive crit-chains and strength sapping was just unreal. The highest damage in a single round by anyone on the show by a huge margin. He's becoming an absolute powerhouse in combat that's getting really concerning considering the weapon he's wielding. I can't imagine him keeping it for long. Pumped to see where this goes.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 182  Next