Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:43 pm 

Yep, it's great.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:25 am 

Probably late to the game on this one, but anyone else watch Revolution? It's a pretty decent show but has some sometimes annoying features. Some of the cast is decent to good (especially the dude who played Gus on Breaking Bad, who is great in this show as well) while others are just kind of annoying. The main chick is cute but always has a pretty dumb look on her face and just has really limited emotional range.

The main party of adventurers seems to get ambushed or similar at least twice an episode, so it's hard to keep cheering for people who are so inept. The plot is pretty interesting though, so I'll keep watching it just to see what happens. Unlike Lost, which had the serious Achilles heel of having too many questions that were more interesting unanswered (and of course I had the lingering feeling they didn't have answers when they were written in the first place), this show seems to answer questions fairly quickly and things fall into place a little better in general, so maybe it'll pick up in subsequent seasons.

Also: anyone else love Justified as much as I do? Totally under-appreciated show. Timmy Elephant is a real cool dude.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:29 am 

That show has literally nothing of worth. I regret giving it more than 6 episodes on my time. The main girl cries in almost every episode, there's always some speech and emotional breakdown, the bartender guy who thinks he's king shit always tries to leave or not help but changes his mind each time, the intentional playing of heart strings with easily avoidable deaths, the forced love interest with the rebellious male model that's always looming and the flashbacks that serve no purpose but to fill time and give the impression of a deeper layer. At least Lost had an element of mystery that was interesting before it became convoluted in later seasons, the mystery in Revolution is just some magical power source that I couldn't give two shits about.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 am 

Haha, yeah, pretty much all of those complaints are valid. But, I've watched shows before that I would say I enjoyed that had issues that were just as numerous/serious (Battlestar Galactica comes immediately to mind). I've also seen shows that had pretty lame early seasons that I wound up really liking after they had developed a bit, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Too bad none of the three post-apocalyptic shows I'm keeping current with (Revolution, Falling Skies, The Walking Dead) really live up to their potentials.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Too bad none of the three post-apocalyptic shows I'm keeping current with (Revolution, Falling Skies, The Walking Dead) really live up to their potentials.

I'm in exactly the same position. I watch all three shows, but none come close to my top tier of favorites where Breaking Bad, Sopranos, and early Dexter reside. Heck, after one season of Bates Motel, I'd even rank that show above any of the post-apocalyptic trio.

But as much Internet hate as Revolution and Falling Skies get, I think Walking Dead is actually the most disappointing of the three. I don't know anything about the comic, but watching that show just gives me a constant feeling that it should be awesome, but just ends up kind of watchable, with some seriously dull stretches in seasons 2 and 3.

Or maybe I'm just holding TWD to a higher standard because it's on the same channel as BrBa, whereas I never expected an NBC show like Revolution to be anything more than light entertainment.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:04 pm 

Under The Dome starts Monday night. Hope it's enjoyable

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:22 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
But as much Internet hate as Revolution and Falling Skies get, I think Walking Dead is actually the most disappointing of the three. I don't know anything about the comic, but watching that show just gives me a constant feeling that it should be awesome, but just ends up kind of watchable, with some seriously dull stretches in seasons 2 and 3.

Or maybe I'm just holding TWD to a higher standard because it's on the same channel as BrBa, whereas I never expected an NBC show like Revolution to be anything more than light entertainment.

As someone who reads the comics, that's pretty much how it is for me. The source material is an amazing read and the TV show has flashes of brilliance due to the small number of good writers and actors on the crew. They end up diverting from the comics for the worse. The comic equivalent of the season 3 finale is a pivotal moment in the story and they completely butchered it in the show. I wouldn't mind the show diverting from the comics so much just to make things interesting, but you kind of need good writers to do that. They made their most talented writer the executive producer so maybe... just maybe season 4 will be good.

Game of Thrones S3 spoilers
Spoiler: show
Imagine if Robb, Catelyn, and all the Northern Lords survived the massacre and it ended up being a massacre of Bolton and Frey soldiers instead. TWD's season 3 finale is THAT bad.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:23 am 

Waiting for Breaking Bad....

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:38 pm 

Anybody seen Copper? Just found out about it and saw the first episode. Definitely a show worth my time. The cast is good but will no doublt be great in future episodes once they settle in their characters. The show is set in 1864 New York City right in the middle of the Five Points neighborhood known for its squalor and crime. Tom Weston-Jones plays an Irish immigrant cop who uses whatever forensic scientific methods were available at the time to catch the bad guys as well as other means not exactly ethical. For the longest time I've been hoping a show like this came along as I've always wondered what it would be like to be a cop/detective back in 'old' New York, what with the rush of immigrants elbowing their way to find their niche and place in society.

check out the belt buckle

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:41 pm 

So Gangs of New York the show, huh? Could be neat for sure.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:09 pm 

Just started watching I Claudius last night. Very cool! I really dig the whole superbly-directed-theatre-production-tailored-to-the-screen format. Brian Blessed is good fun as Augustus Caesar. Dude's got a voice on 'im. WHEAH AH MY EEAAGLLLESS!!!!"

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 pm 

Just watched the first episode of Under the Dome. The episode was decent and it has a pretty intriguing premise. I think i'll stick with it for a few more episodes, see what happens. It has potential to be a great series.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:34 pm 

About that Dexter premiere (spoilers for previous seasons)........

The whole police department knew in season 7 that Maria suspected Dexter of being a killer, then Maria ends up getting murdered. Regardless of how expertly Dexter (and Debra?) staged the crime scene, shouldn't the other cops start getting suspicious? Plus, hasn't Quinn known Dexter is a killer since season 5 when he paid RoboCop to spy on him?

And what's up with Debra?

Isn't she at least a quasi-celebrity? The story of how she's "that cop who was engaged to the Ice Truck Killer" must be well known in fictional Florida. Not only that, she was the Lieutenant of homicide for a while, which must have involved giving statements to the press. So how can she have some new job where she works undercover? "No, Mr. Low-Life Criminal, I'm not secretly trying to bust you! That woman you saw on TV was just some OTHER thin, thirty-ish Jenna Haze look-alike!"

And that new addition to the cast

is yet another "woman who knows Dexter's secret." Well, at least this one is far too old for Dexter to have a romantic relationship with. But if she ends up being the person responsible for scooping brain matter out of that victim, that will be an even lamer twist than "Edward James Olmos was dead the whole time!"

Sorry to be so negative; the show remains watchable but I'm glad this is the last season.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:30 pm 

@ChineseDownhill, the problem is you're thinking too much about it. For the most part you're meant to take everything in at surface level, not dwell on the questions it inadvertently presents. For that reason it's not the most flawless or intelligent show but it's damn entertaining.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 pm 

I suppose that's right, I just don't remember getting bothered by stuff like this during the early seasons. Maybe the writing was genuinely better back then, or maybe I was more willing to overlook these annoying issues. Probably a combination of the two.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:46 am 

By_Inheritance wrote:
Just watched the first episode of Under the Dome. The episode was decent and it has a pretty intriguing premise. I think i'll stick with it for a few more episodes, see what happens. It has potential to be a great series.

I hated the premise at first - all it did was make me think of The Simpsons, actually - and thought it'd be horrendously boring... It was nowhere near as terrible as I was expecting, and I find myself intrigued. I may watch this regularly after all.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 am 

Watched the first two episodes of Under the Dome. It's pretty bad thus far... I'm giving it two more episodes max to turn into something that doesn't suck or it'll be time to put a pillow over its face and give The Sopranos or something a shot.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:55 am 

You should be giving The Sopranos a shot anyway.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 pm 

The first episode of Under the Dome intrigued me, but the second was kind of bad. Two people carrying the idiot ball for the plot to work
(the reverend setting fire to the house, and the cop going nuts and shooting in the air for no reason),
in the same episode? Meh.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:31 pm 

Yeah... totally retarded. Talk about expediting the plot. The captivity subplot is also painfully contrived. Fast-forward all plots to phase nine clusterfuck crazy in under twenty minutes!!!! Plus the acting is sort of generally shitty, always a great way to completely waste a TV show.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:58 pm 

Can someone write in detail the negative points of the show without giving away too much? I'm interested in watching although I'd like to know what the problems are beforehand, not just the acting is bad and it moves too quickly along.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:50 pm 

It's probably easier just to watch the show, honestly. It's only two episodes in, probably better just to check it out and decide on your own personal (private...intensely private) terms.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 pm 

I don't know if there's any fans of Warehouse 13 here but I just watched the season finale tonight and happened to notice that next yeat will be the last season. It made me incredibly sad and while it isn't the greatest show out there I find it to be quite good and quite loveable. That and I just don't see a reason to end it so soon it seems to be doing well enough ratings wise and plot wise they have always managed to keep it interesting even if they are just rehashing the same ideas over and over again.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:03 pm 

Under the Dome still riding the suck train... quickly losing all hope!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 pm 

I thought the 3rd episode was a bit better than the 2nd, but yeah, still not too great. :| Disappointing from a Brian K. Vaughan product but I don't know how much he's involved creatively...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:46 pm 

I've only seen the first episode so far, but I was actually sort of annoyed with some of the things that I foresee being major plot holes. If radio waves can't get through, why can other parts of the EM spectrum? Aren't they going to run out of air pretty quick? Out of water? Any answers to these questions seem like they'll just be contrivances to close up their own plot holes rather than genuine weirdness. It just seems like a really limited take on the premise of Lost, or something.

And yeah, most of the acting does suck pretty hard. The brother in law from Breaking Bad doesn't do well in that sort of lead role and none of the other cast members really seemed all that engaging.

I mean, just compare that debut to the Lost pilot. Miles apart.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 am 

Wow I'm on the third episode now and the acting is so shoddy, especially Joe and Junior, except Junior can get away with it because he's the resident crazy. He's channelling the shockingly bad Chris Klein with that over dramatic puppy dog expression. It's almost like everyone is stoned, and I really get the feeling there wasn't any read through.

@iamntbatman, some of those questions were explained in the second episode.

From what I've heard the book is very dark, and the influence of Steven Spielberg is why it's more light hearted.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 pm 

I could just copy all these points of critique you mention for Under the Dome and use them for my opinion on Oz. I know, it's the style of the show that it's theme-based and not all stories are entwined with each other, but some of the sub-plots and character relationships are just getting absurder from season to season, so that you can't even appreciate the rare good aspects of the show anymore.

But what annoys me the most is the fact, that Season 4 is just two seasons in one, so they didn't slow down the pace a bit for this, which is what I hoped for.

I bought the complete collection, so I'm gonna finish this anyway, but by now it's bad in the bad way, meaning that it doesn't even really entertain me anymore.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:20 pm 

I'm trying to decide if I'll start watching The Bridge. It's on the FX channel, and I've mostly liked what I've seen of their original programming. But its basic plot summary - male and female detectives hunt for a killer - is the same as The Killing's, and I did not like The Killing at all.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:04 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Also: anyone else love Justified as much as I do? Totally under-appreciated show. Timmy Elephant is a real cool dude.

Definitely! A superb show with an awesome cast and usually pretty clever and consistent writing. One of the few shows (I think the only one) that I actually follow. Been meaning to check out the source material - See if it's as good on writing as it is on TV.

Quote:
I'm trying to decide if I'll start watching The Bridge. It's on the FX channel, and I've mostly liked what I've seen of their original programming. But its basic plot summary - male and female detectives hunt for a killer - is the same as The Killing's, and I did not like The Killing at all.

Also, both are based on Danish source material.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:22 pm 

I found Olyphant's performance in Deadwood unbearably awful in every imaginable way. He's like an even-worse Christian Bale, if that's possible. I can't possibly imagine that he finally grew up and became a 'real' actor, but if MacMoney likes Justified... perhaps I'll need to check it out.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:17 pm 

When was Olyphant in Deadwood? I only watched maybe part of the first season of that show back when it first came out on DVD and wasn't really very impressed with it. I remember being pretty put off by the excessive use of modern profanity that just seemed really out of place. The only other performance I really remember him giving was in Hitman, where he was pretty awful. I've certainly seen him in other stuff (Dreamcatcher, Live Free or Die Hard) and wasn't ever really impressed with him at all. That said, he's pretty great in Justified, though it is a fairly straightforward, Clint Eastwood type role.

Edit: hah, he was the main character! Shows how unmemorable his performance was in that, too, I guess.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:39 pm 

You guys are crazy, Olyphant was superb in Deadwood. And the modern profanity works a lot better than if they had used the swear words of the time, which would have sounded goofy to our ears.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:51 pm 

I just remember him from Scream 2, being the Skeet Ulrich replacement. What were they even thinking with Dreamcatcher? I was battling fits of laughter throughout that garbage.

I never found a problem with Oz, sure some of the non-regular actors are bad but Lee Tergesen, Dean Winters and others are brilliant.
If I was to be critical, the amount of male nudity and homosexual themes is a bit much, but as a prison drama I guess it's with the territory. The level of male nudity just feels gratuitous but all the females I know get a kick out of it so maybe it's intended for them.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:51 pm 

Well now you know how we feel when we watch, oh, any other HBO show. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm 

Oh man, I just watched episodes 2 and 3 of Under the Dome...hahahaha.

That shit went from "shittier version of Lost" to "shitty Sci-fi original movie where the monster is an immobile dome" incredibly quickly. It's pretty fucking funny though! Every time they say something about domes or being under a dome I almost piss myself laughing. So terrible!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 pm 

If only they could..... BLOW THE DOME

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:55 pm 

Just picked up Hannibal again recently and I've been liking it quite a bit more than I did in the first half of the season. Now that the main plot has had some time to build some momentum and the underlying madness in the show has come on-screen in a more literal fashion, things have gotten quite a bit more interesting. The killer-of-the-week investigations are still solved with an alarming lack of ado, and that's pretty lame, but the more depth they might give those the less time they'd have for the main plot, so I can see it's a difficult balancing act to manage. The style and cinematography continue to be really damn good, and most of the acting is pretty solid. Gillian Anderson's role that crops up in the second half of the season has also brought a cool unexpected element. Glad it's taken a turn for the better!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 am 

Man, this dome is such a problem! People getting sick, people going crazy... when are we going to fi- hey, wait a minute....hold on... ok, ok...new idea: When they shoot the dome, it reflects and kills people. If they shoot people, maybe it'll reflect and kill the dome.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Just picked up Hannibal again recently and I've been liking it quite a bit more than I did in the first half of the season. Now that the main plot has had some time to build some momentum and the underlying madness in the show has come on-screen in a more literal fashion, things have gotten quite a bit more interesting. The killer-of-the-week investigations are still solved with an alarming lack of ado, and that's pretty lame, but the more depth they might give those the less time they'd have for the main plot, so I can see it's a difficult balancing act to manage. The style and cinematography continue to be really damn good, and most of the acting is pretty solid. Gillian Anderson's role that crops up in the second half of the season has also brought a cool unexpected element. Glad it's taken a turn for the better!

Glad you're sticking with it. It really is my favourite show on television right now. Wait till ypu see what it builds to!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 182  Next