Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:50 am 

Better retroactively cut ties with Firefly too!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:01 am 

I think The Expanse is solid but nowhere near the best scifi, some of the acting is spotty, some of the writing is just decent, the accents are hit or miss at times, the story is a little all over the place even though I enjoy it.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:12 am 

Spotty acting? I can't think of any sci-fi show that's even close to the pedigree of The Expanse for acting. Or for visual effects/set design. Or dialog. Or cinematography. Or pretty much everything else except for music. The, uh, shall we say "very blue scene" between two, uh, very important characters who'd never met each other before, literally had me in tears.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 am 

The bridge of Discovery looks weird. Way too much of a bare-bones, cold military efficiency thing going on. Voyager looked relatively warm and fuzzy, and on the Enterprise-D even Worf commented "comfortable chair".
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 am 

Meh :P

Speaking of scifi I've been enjoying season 3 of Dark Matter. For lighthearted kinda corny scifi in the Stargate SG-1 vein it's solid. Nice to have something like that airing again.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:13 am 

Killjoys fills that niche too, although that flirts with execrable CW-ish characteristics (awful pop songs during key moments, the requirement of at least one joke in each scene, etc) far too often for my taste. But I like the visuals and the variedness of each episode.

Something you definitely should check out is 12 Monkeys; it finally, inarguably proves that you can make a good (maybe even great?) sci-fi show with virtually no money whatsoever. I'm really surprised people around here haven't been talking about it; seems right up a lot of you guys' allies.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:59 am 

Honestly, I forgot 12 Monkeys existed. I loved the movie, but I kind of assumed the series was terrible because nobody I interact with on the interwebs or in person has ever said anything about it.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 am 

Yeah, same here, loved the movie, was interested in the series but then nobody was really talking about it so I assumed it mustn't be worth it.

Twin Peaks is fucking awesome. FUCKING AWESOME.

And People of Earth has begun again, second season, which is my current favorite comedy series.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

Speaking of scifi I've been enjoying season 3 of Dark Matter. For lighthearted kinda corny scifi in the Stargate SG-1 vein it's solid. Nice to have something like that airing again.

Stargate SG-1 is one of my all-time favorites. You've piqued my curiosity on Dark Matter, now.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:18 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

Episode 11 is one of my favorites in the whole series so far. After a couple of leisurely episodes after the nightmare rollercoaster that was episode 8, things have really heated up again.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:20 pm 

I was watching some The Office clips (The Deposition, Prison Mike) on Youtube and I wonder if there's any comedy series that can top The Office.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:16 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Dungeon_Vic wrote:

Episode 11 is one of my favorites in the whole series so far. After a couple of leisurely episodes after the nightmare rollercoaster that was episode 8, things have really heated up again.

Arrgghh everyone's been telling me that episode was good. And I don't have access here. At least I'm temporarily satisfying myself by rewatching season 2.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:32 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

Stargate SG-1 is one of my all-time favorites. You've piqued my curiosity on Dark Matter, now.

Just give it a shot past the first few episodes, because it starts out horribly cliche.

Sinfulsot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:52 am 

Three more weeks until Marvel's Defenders, or as i prefer: a fortnight and a half.

Despite Iron Fist's overall lack (i am understating on purpose), I am very looking forward to this mini-series. I believe it will be 8 episodes (vs the 13 per each hero), which has the potential for a tighter story. Yet, there is a slight dread they might shove too much into this.

While I can speculate rather wildly, I will leave it with this: I am hoping to see any set up for Heroes for Hire with Foggy Nelson as the contact for said Hire(s). I also understand I am against popular opinion with liking that particular character.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:02 pm 

Maybe odd to recommend a 19 year old series, but anyone interested in the Cold War shouldn't miss this 24(!) part documentary series. Nearly 19 hours in total, and yet often I feel there is alot more of interest left. And it's all on Youtube:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0170896
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _RfWSFzvMI

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:42 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

I didn't even make it all the way through DM season 1.

recently watched Stargate Universe ... got through all of that, but it lacked any of the charm of the original. wasn't even as good as Atlantis.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:03 pm 

DM gets better I think.

lloyd93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:19 pm 

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, I really liked Breaking Bad and will watch the Walking Dead when it is on with the family. That's about it though.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:31 pm 

Yep, Dark Matter is almost unwatchably bad for the first 2/3rds of the first season, but it does get dramatically better, to the point where I thought it was a helluva lot of fun throughout the second season. Anyone checked out the third yet? Still good?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:10 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Just give it a shot past the first few episodes, because it starts out horribly cliche.

I apologized to my son for the first two seasons of Star Trek: TNG when we started watching it together (he'd never seen it completely), after I realized how bad many of those early episodes are. Let us never forget that for all its progressive ideals, Star Trek still had a "bad black tribal people planet" where they "kidnapped a white woman". In the 80's.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:58 pm 

Yeah the first season is atrocious, the second season is about 50/50, and it only really gets good in season 3.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:08 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Yep, Dark Matter is almost unwatchably bad for the first 2/3rds of the first season, but it does get dramatically better, to the point where I thought it was a helluva lot of fun throughout the second season. Anyone checked out the third yet? Still good?

I've been enjoying it! Maybe not as much as season 2, but I'm honestly not sure, haven't been turning a critical eye toward it, just watching the new eps now and then and having fun with em.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:42 pm 

Man I almost wrote a long post about Dark Matter but then I realized I had confused it with Black Mirror. I have not actually seen Dark Matter yet. Or was it Black Matter and Dark Mirror?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:44 am 

Sorry, you're thinking of Family Matters and The Dark Crystal.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:23 am 

stickyshooZ wrote:
That was a damn good episode of GoT.
Spoiler: show
I'm loving the various interactions which I've been waiting to see for a long while (Varys and Dany, most of all).

After the typical soft start things have begun to heat up. Next chapter will be the shortest one(50min). Not short in my eyes but it will be interesting to see if a 72 minutes chapter(the last one) kan keep the tension. I have read somewhere that last season´s chapter couuld last up to 2 hours, I hope its not true.

I second Morrigan´s warning about spoilers. I am fed up with those guys who post comments, images, memes with lots of spoilers. The worst thing it that many "official" pages even post them. The GOT trend has become something crazy. I will prohibit myself to enter in many pages because i dont want to ruin the emotion, tough its difficult taking into account the amount of information around the net. Furthermore, someone has hacked HBO and published the plot of every chapter of this season, terrible.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:36 pm 

So Blood Drive is like totally great, Aaron is right. Definitely one of the best horror tv shows to come out in a while.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:31 pm 

I just started watching Blood Drive last night, but I echo that sentiment. It's ridiculous, over the top, and violent as all hell, but damn if it's not one of the most entertaining shows I've seen in awhile. I'm very much looking forward to the next few episodes.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:34 pm 

I finished the first season of Narcos this afternoon. It's a solid show if you enjoy true crime in any form.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:41 am 

Bit of a ramble on Critical Role and celebrity voyeurism, with spoilers:

So, originally there were eight people playing this game of D&D, eight real life friends who'd been playing together for years. As I detailed elsewhere, one of the players, Orion (playing dragonborn sorcerer Tiberius Stormwind) only lasted through the first 28 episodes or so before he was awkwardly ousted from the plot. At first they just said he was sick or something and couldn't show up, then they had him teleport out of the current doings of the group to head back to his hometown, then later on they officially announced that Orion had left the show.

Fast forward to episode 64, and we finally find that Tiberius has died, valiantly defending his city from a conquering ancient white dragon. It was a very emotional episode, where the members of Vox Machina were broken up at finding him dead and just emotionally wrecked.

The thing is, though, this is really the first media I've gotten into where the line between the story as told and the actual human beings involved is inevitably blurred. We don't just watch the story of Vox Machina adventuring around, we watch these real life friends acting out their characters' actions and interacting with one another out of character. Their real friendships are nearly as interesting and important to the enjoyment of the show as what they do with their characters. Knowing that Orion was close friends with these other people, and watching his character get killed off like that, was rough stuff.

What makes it rougher is that just recently Orion himself has released some statements regarding his leaving the show, including talking about how a blood cancer diagnosis around the time he was getting a bit out of control on the show* led to a simultaneous HIV diagnosis, PLUS he was dealing with drug related problems all at the same time. Some of his statements included really manipulative, vague language that make him hard to believe 100%, but I do believe that he was suffering from serious issues that led him to act the way he did and to his leaving the show.

I guess it just hit me harder than other shows' character deaths because, while those are typically scripted events that happen for professional or scheduling reasons or some other shit, this was very much real life bleeding over very visibly into an entertainment medium, so watching the fallout of the broken relationship between these real people get reflected in Orion's statements AND the on-screen mourning over his character's death by his one time real life friends was just pretty fucking brutal and sad.

I think around this same time, Orion made his own stream thing called Draconian Knights which was about Tiberius and Draconia (his character's homeland) where he voiced out all of the characters himself, which at that point just seemed like a kind of pathetic (as in, sad, not lame and he sucks) attempt at recapturing his glory days with Critical Role. So it also seemed like sort of a slap in the face for Matt Mercer to say, no, Draconia is destroyed and Tiberius is dead. Then again, I don't know all of the ins and outs of their real life relationship, and I feel dirty even wanting to know.

*To make clear how his presence had become problematic: Orion seemed very agitated and on edge increasingly throughout the show, and was taking powergaming to an extreme where he'd clearly overvalue the power and importance of his own character much to the detriment of the group. He'd regularly ignore things that were happening if they didn't directly involve him, just to plan his next actions to try to bend the rules just to the breaking point to become as powerful as possible. It began to really visibly frustrate the other players, who often sat around twiddling their thumbs forever waiting for him to finish whatever solo hare-brained schemes he was working on that didn't involve anyone else. I miss his antics and battlefield prowess, but I don't at all miss how often he'd hijack the show to stroke his own (or his character's own? hard to say) ego.

So yeah, weird clashing of real life and art that I didn't expect to ever experience or care about, but it's been something watching it happen.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:26 pm 

Mr. Mercedes, an adaptation of Stephen King's book, will be premiering on the 9th.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:01 pm 

Re: Game of Thrones 7x04

That battle! Jesus, that was painful to watch, mostly because I'm torn on who to root for at this rate. I hate Cersei, but love Bronn and Jamie. Dany is coming from a good place, but watching all of those soldiers burning alive was just...holy fuck.

I want Dany to be the ruler that the country needs, but it is concerning that whenever she feels stressed and under the gun, her first inclination always seems to be "Burn them all!" until someone reminds her not to do that (referring to how she wanted to storm the Red Keep, until Tyrion and Jon told her not to. The same with Season 6 when she wanted to burn all of the slave cities down until Tyrion told ehr not to.)

I'm also kind of annoyed at Tyrion's role since he met Danarys. The only purpose he seems to serve at this rate in the story is to fail and look weak just so that Danarys can look more OP.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:

I'm also kind of annoyed at Tyrion's role since he met Danarys. The only purpose he seems to serve at this rate in the story is to fail and look weak just so that Danarys can look more OP.

I'm pretty sure he has much more to offer in the episodes to come, good story tellers wouldn't leave one of their main characters to just disappear under the shadow of a bigger character.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:35 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:

That battle! Jesus, that was painful to watch, mostly because I'm torn on who to root for at this rate. I hate Cersei, but love Bronn and Jamie. Dany is coming from a good place, but watching all of those soldiers burning alive was just...holy fuck.

I want Dany to be the ruler that the country needs, but it is concerning that whenever she feels stressed and under the gun, her first inclination always seems to be "Burn them all!" until someone reminds her not to do that (referring to how she wanted to storm the Red Keep, until Tyrion and Jon told her not to. The same with Season 6 when she wanted to burn all of the slave cities down until Tyrion told ehr not to.)

Couldnt help think of
Smaug

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:46 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
stickyshooZ wrote:

I'm pretty sure he has much more to offer in the episodes to come, good story tellers wouldn't leave one of their main characters to just disappear under the shadow of a bigger character.

I think you're probably right. At least I hope so. I don't expect Tyrion to win with everything he does, since that would be silly. But he has kind of felt slightly underwhelming since the end of Season 4.

Exkretor wrote:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 am 

Game of Thrones will end with a scene of a 6-year-old incest-born child---originally a hopeful unifying symbol of the last remaining houses of which she is the only survivor---psychotically stabbing her dolls while playing with herself, thus making the entire series pointless.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:04 pm 

GoT episode 4:
The battle scene a couple of episodes ago on the sea I thought was honestly kind of shitty. Just strange directing and really low-budget Hollywood looking. By contrast, the battle scene in this episode was wayyyyy better looking all around, just wonderfully shot. Fuckin' terrifying to see how a single not even fully grown dragon can just utterly devastate an entire army. Plus, now that Dany is aware of Cersei's ballistae, I seriously hope she will be much more careful going forward with allowing her dragons to engage with Lannister forces.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:09 pm 

Two TV show sets arrived in the mail yesterday: The Twilight Zone 1980's complete series and Ray Bradbury Theater complete series.

I've always been a big fan of Twilight Zone, but have not seen much of anything for the 80's series, and it is never on streaming services for some reason. So now I finally have it. As for Ray Bradbury Theater, as one of the most influential authors in SF, I read that this series had some pretty high accolades, and it was only about $11 on Amazon. This should all be good stuff to fill my time.

These will go well with my full sets of the original Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Darkside, The Outer Limits (60's), and Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Game of Thrones will end with a scene of a 6-year-old incest-born child---originally a hopeful unifying symbol of the last remaining houses of which she is the only survivor---psychotically stabbing her dolls while playing with herself, thus making the entire series pointless.

all newborns are psychopaths. that scene shouldn't give any less hope than any other birth.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 am 

Game of Thrones S7E05 spoilers
I couldn't help but think that the raid party that Jon and Davos assembled is one of my ASOIAF fantasies come true. So much badassery in one group. However, I'm dreading the part where some of these guys get killed and turned to wights. What's even more dreadful is that it would just be warm up for when The White Walkers break through the wall and characters we like start becoming wights.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:25 am 

Adriankat wrote:
Game of Thrones S7E05 spoilers
I couldn't help but think that the raid party that Jon and Davos assembled is one of my ASOIAF fantasies come true. So much badassery in one group. However, I'm dreading the part where some of these guys get killed and turned to wights. What's even more dreadful is that it would just be warm up for when The White Walkers break through the wall and characters we like start becoming wights.

I know, right? I never thought I'd see all of these characters fighting together. It was like the moment in the movie Armageddon when the crew is assembled and walking towards the camera in epic fashion. I also love the brief conversation between Tyrion and Varys. I know this is a minor scene, but this is one of my favorite conversations in the show from Varys. It's exactly the kind thing I'd expect to hear from a bureaucrat who is merely a cog in the machine, but still attempts to disassociate themselves from the final outcome of their actions as a psychological defense mechanism. Brilliant writing. The next episode looks like it's going to be a big battle - can't wait!

Exkretor wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 182  Next