Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:25 pm 

I like it alright, but honestly I turned my brain off for season 2. I did like one thematic element of the first season, the kind of dialogical and even psychoanalytic understanding of consciousness as emerging through relations with others rather than coming from a weird decontextualized self-creation...like, the self's voice emerging through relationship between other voices, reaching a kind of eventual threshold into self-consciousness. Other than that I've honestly not paid attention to much of the subtext, just enjoyed it for some decent acting and cinematography and stuff. That Asian episode was definitely cringeworthy.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:47 am 

I guess you could say it's the rare time when the dramaturgy eclipsed the drama! :-D
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:43 am 

severzhavnost wrote:

Spoiler: show
Quote:
I've always liked the idea of a 3rd Generation in the Trek universe--something that takes place far enough ahead so that travel is no longer just limited to the Alpha and Beta quadrants, but spread out across the Gamma and Delta quadrants. At the end of DS9, the Dominion was largely held to a treaty with the Alpha quadrant, and by the end of Voyager, the Borg had been weakened, but not crippled. I think the obvious next steps would be a larger Federation including Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians who then have to face a galaxy-spanning war between the Borg and Dominion. Something like that would keep the Federation far enough removed to still spend a lot of time on exploring while having a background on-going arc where Federations ships have to deal with accidentally getting caught between the Dominion and Borg, both of whom are largely indifferent to the Federation at this point, despite the added strength of the other three major races.

A set-up like this gives so much room for writing and drama. There's the obvious "meet new aliens, reach the new limits of the galaxy" stuff. There's a war arc. And there's plenty of room for shaky Federation in-fighting about "should we or shouldn't we" get involved in the war between the Dominion and Borg. It also puts two popular, ultra-powerful Trek factions directly face to face with new possibilities. Both the Borg and Dominion worked by largely just throwing more fighters at the problem, because individuals didn't matter. The Borg could be made to easily detect the shape-shifting Founders, and both sides could be desperately trying to curry some kind of alliance with the Federation to figure out a better way to fight than just throwing massive numbers at each other over and over.

This all just seems like the obvious way for the franchise to have gone. Enough with all the prequels already.

As long as they title such a series, "Star Trek - The Order of Things", I'm down for that!

And no love for prequels? I liked that Enterprise was far enough removed from the time period of any other series, that it wasn't constrained by contemporary events. I'm also a fan of the comparatively primitive tech. The Grappler was awesome, as were the early stumbles with the transporter. I wish they'd made an episode about the disappearance of Cyrus Ramsay.

I'd even be intrigued by sort of super-prequel: centered around the end of the Atomic War, Zephram Cochrane's warp flight and first contact with the Vulcans.

To be fair, I warmed up to Enterprise. I had once believed it to be the worst Trek series, but then I actually watched it, and Voyager is definitely the worst. That show is dry as sun-baked shit. Enterprise had the typical stumbly first two seasons, but where every other post-TOS series managed to get through those seasons and generally improved (greatly improved for TNG and DS9), Enterprise almost didn't survive. But then, the worst time-travel story in SF history was pushed to the side and Enterprise picked up a lot of steam. The last half of the series is really quite good, and frankly, I loved seeing the Andorians get such representation--especially with Jeffrey Comb's character.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:25 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Another Tedhead here, and I'm working my way through that same box set myself! On one hand, I want to just laugh my arse off and watch the whole series altogether; but then I also see the value of stretching them out a bit and making it last.

It's too addictive to ration.

I don't know if British comedies are popular or not in Canada but if you're not already familiar with it I would also recommend I'm Alan Partridge.

Here's a clip featuring the writers of Father Ted.

https://youtu.be/72BrqGNvaT0

Last edited by Conan Troutman on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
the kind of dialogical and even psychoanalytic understanding of consciousness as emerging through relations with others rather than coming from a weird decontextualized self-creation...like, the self's voice emerging through relationship between other voices, reaching a kind of eventual threshold into self-consciousness.

Can I still enjoy the show if I like fried chicken and beer

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
the kind of dialogical and even psychoanalytic understanding of consciousness as emerging through relations with others rather than coming from a weird decontextualized self-creation...like, the self's voice emerging through relationship between other voices, reaching a kind of eventual threshold into self-consciousness.

Can I still enjoy the show if I like fried chicken and beer

No.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:15 am 

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Westworld. The writing and themes presented in the series are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theory and dramaturgical analyses, most of it will go over a typical viewer's head.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Westworld tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kids.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 am 

darkeningday wrote:
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Westworld. The writing and themes presented in the series are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theory and dramaturgical analyses, most of it will go over a typical viewer's head.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Westworld tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kids.

This sounds like the dangerous thinking that created the worst Rick & Morty fans.

Come back to uuuusssss.......

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:42 pm 

Star Trek needs more Jeffrey Combs, always. Super under-rated actor.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Star Trek needs more Jeffrey Combs, always. Super under-rated actor.

Life needs more Jeffrey Combs.

I was thrilled when I realized he was voicing Braniac in Injustice 2.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:05 pm 

So as lame as Westworld ended up being, you know what I actually really ended up enjoying? Syfy's Krypton. The first few episodes are a bit rocky, but by the end it really ended up being a fun series with stellar production values, great acting (almost entire cast is Irish) and the writing... well, by tv drama standards it's slightly above average, by sci-fi standards it's well above-average, and by comic book standards it's somewhere between Herman Melville and Gustave Flaubert. The most jarring (but also funniest) part of the show is watching these Royal Shakespeare Company actors like Colin Salmon and Ian McElhinney saying "Brainiac" without even the slightest hint of irony, it's pretty surreal :lol: . It's definitely at its worst whenever it's trying to be a comic book (e.g., the horrible Adam Strange character/actor and his stupid retarded "Zeta Beam") and its best when it's just trying to be a GoT-tinged sci-fi series. Thankfully, the ratio is about 1:9, respectively.

And I really can't stress enough how awesome the visuals are for the show. Everything feels truly alien, despite the fact that everyone looks human and speaks English. I don't think there's a single asset in the show, from the sets to the costumes to the props, that weren't specifically crafted for the series.

So check out Krypton if you've a sci-fi hole to fill now that The Expanse has ended for the year.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:

This is one of the worst posts I've ever read on this website.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:21 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I'm just surprised that somone with such a high level of intelligence is unable to spell the word "personal".

Never seen Westworld (never even heard of it in fact) so I can't say how smart you need to be to watch it though.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:46 am 

Conan Troutman wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

I'm just surprised that somone with such a high level of intelligence is unable to spell the word "personal".

Never seen Westworld (never even heard of it in fact) so I can't say how smart you need to be to watch it though.

Westworld is Jurassic Park with robots instead of dinosaurs.

And no, you really cannot pretend that isn't 100% accurate. Westworld and Jurassic Park were both written by Michael Crichton, and both are about amusement parks that fail due to some sort of combination of human hubris and misused new technology.

It was a movie in the 70s with Yule Brenner, and is now a show on HBO. I think it's HBO. Might be Showtime.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:24 pm 

@CoconutBackwards/Conan Troutman: dd is referencing this.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:45 am 

Also that meme is referencing the "nothin personnel kid" meme so it's a MEME WITHIN A MEME! Within a shit opinion.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:18 am 

Azmodes wrote:

Well, that went right over my head.

I'm glad I was wrong.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:50 pm 

Watched the first 5 episodes of Disenchantment on Netflix. It's really not very funny, but somehow it's still very watchable. Reminds me a lot of the first season of Futurama, almost to a fault. I have a feeling a lot of people are really going to hate this, and I can't say I blame them. For me, it's pretty okay, and I'll definitely finish it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:04 am 

I watched the first two episodes and I was thoroughly unimpressed.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:38 am 

Yeah they're not great. But no worse than the first two episodes of Futurama imho. Plus I love Abbi Jacobson, Eric Andre, Matt Berry and Noel Fielding.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 am 

I've watched about 5 or 6 episodes. It's not as good as Futurama but it might need some time to grow. I still enjoy it, though, and plan to watch the whole season and beyond.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:10 pm 

Never heard of Disenchantment, but it's certain that if Noel Fielding is in it, it won't be funny.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:11 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

Well, that went right over my head.

I'm glad I was wrong.

Me too. Thanks to other posters for trying to explain it. However, I have accepted that I am going gray so I'm probably too old for memes.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:50 am 

Re Disenchantment: the last 3 episodes of the season really picked up once they decided to get a continuous storyline going. That made me way more excited for season 2 if they can keep that going.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:10 pm 

My friend convinced me to watch Aggretsuko. Basically Dilbert but far less funny and with a running "haha the cute kitty thing sings death metal" gag that got old partway through the first 15 minute episode.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:02 pm 

On the Disenchantment wagon, I'm going to point out that the best jokes are background gags (the names of the shops) and a few situational moments. Futurama is some god-tier animated comedy to me, but the first season is pretty bland compared to what would follow.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:00 pm 

Just finished watching the last season of Ash vs. Evil Dead. It concluded things pretty well, but my final judgement is that the show just couldn't be as good as the movies. One (odd) reason is the high production values: it lost that low-fi charm. Another reason is... well, I'm not really sure. They got most things right, though, and it's a shame it got cancelled. Actually, I do know the other reason it wasn't as good as it could have been: they tried to cram too much into episodes that were a good 15 minutes too short. Bruce Campbell said he thought it was good the episodes weren't longer - 'leave 'em wanting more' - but it wasn't just the fans wanting more, it was the story needing more. Oh well, I'm still glad we got as much as we did.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:19 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
My friend convinced me to watch Aggretsuko. Basically Dilbert but far less funny and with a running "haha the cute kitty thing sings death metal" gag that got old partway through the first 15 minute episode.

You suck!
~RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE~

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:10 am 

I just finished it. It was super lame. Basically a really fuckin' dull office work drama except with Sanrio characters and when Retsuko gets angry she sings the same groove/death metal song every time you guys!!!!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:50 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I just finished it. It was super lame. Basically a really fuckin' dull office work drama except with Sanrio characters and when Retsuko gets angry she sings the same groove/death metal song every time you guys!!!!

I had the same thoughts. I watched two episodes.

Too lame to make it through any more.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm 

You guys really hate fun, confirmed.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:25 am 

I like things that are fun. It was boring as fuck. Just dreary office politics.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:24 am 

It was a great satire of dreary office politics, with charming characters and a fun gimmick. HB and I loved it, but then again we do have souls...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:32 pm 

It was great, charming and fun in the same way The Big Bang Theory is. In other words, not, at all.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:01 pm 

brb demodding and banning you from everything

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:27 pm 

:oh shit:

I've been running back through Twin Peaks. Only my second time watching it. Granted, I just hit the shark jumpy place in S2, but man, my tolerance for the soap opera-isms in this show has gone WAY up. I remember I used to be really irritated by lots of the musical themes coming back so often, and with stuff like the drama between Laura's friends, but somehow it just works a lot more for me the second time through. I like how there are so many of those soap opera beats but it's basically just played straight, way straighter than actual soap opera. As in, the kinds of things that happen in those shows like people dying or evil twins or whatever are actually fucking gutting and terrifying experiences when you really think about them, so having those things happen and then having the cast members act with really visceral grief is actually pretty powerful.

Though I'm not looking forward to the back half of s2 as much, I *am* really looking forward to jumping right into Fire Walk With Me right after the show (I watched them a long time apart earlier) and then jumping right into The Return after that, since it was many years between for me. I'm also dragging two of my friends through this show with me who've never seen any Lynch or anything like it before and they're thoroughly freaked out yet entranced by it so far. Good times.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 am 

Oh my god, The Return is going to turn their brains into black goo. I can't even imagine what watching that would be like if you have zero experience with Lynch. And yeah, I agree with your experiences in re-watching Twin Peaks - first time through I was rolling my eyes a lot at some parts that the second time through I actually enjoyed. Great example is the very beginning when all of these characters are finding out about Laura's death - it's goofy and over-the-top and melodramatic, but also how the fuck would a real mother actually react to learning of her daughter's tragic murder? How would her best friend? How would her boyfriend? These would not be photogenic moments. It takes a bit to get on the show's wavelength, I think, but once you do it's great.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
On the Disenchantment wagon, I'm going to point out that the best jokes are background gags (the names of the shops) and a few situational moments. Futurama is some god-tier animated comedy to me, but the first season is pretty bland compared to what would follow.

I have two episodes left of Disenchantment, which we'll watch when my son is back this weekend. I'm not sold on the show. Futurama started off hot, delivered great characters and great comedy and later built on that with some surprisingly effective drama.

Disenchantment feels like it's trying to be "emotional Futurama" way too soon, without some clever new character development. Also, the "Elfo loves Bean" aspect is just annoying. Can't they, just once, just have characters like this have no fucking awkward relationship aspect? Normally this doesn't bother me, but this just feels tacked on and forced. It is also painfully obvious they are trying to recreate the "Fry loves Leela" aspect of Futurama. Elfo effectively lost all of his character development after the first fucking episode. Emotional points have no impact because we don't know these characters, and their development is... not great.

The show has potential, but looking at Simpsons and Futurama--both of those shows started out strong and built on that. Futurama even going out on a high point. But this feels like it's starting at a low point and it's hard to get into it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:16 am 

Uh, the first season of Simpsons and Futurama were absolutely atrocious. Borderline unwatchable dross with cliche storylines whose jokes were primarily based on horrible catchphrase and gag comedy. Don't have a cow, I.C. Weiner.

At the same time, you'd think Groening and co. would've figured out how to make a show compelling from the very beginning by now. Oh well, at least it's better than Paradise P.D., a show that makes Family Guy look like it was ghostwritten (heh) by Oscar Wilde.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:35 pm 

Oh god, Paradise PD was fucking awful. It's like a couple of freshman bros who love Family Guy and American Dad somehow got the opportunity to make their own show. So it's exactly like Family Guy and American Dad but minus anything remotely resembling quality. Jesus Christ, there's a character who's basically a gender-swapped version of a character from the fucking Cleveland Show.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 182  Next