Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:35 pm 

I have yet to allow myself to get sucked into either Disenchantment or Paradise PD, though I admit I was tempted. But now I don't have to. Thanks for taking all the bullets there team.

Another animated original not worth my time was Big Mouth, co-written by the normally humorous Nick Kroll. Probably he means to shine a sort of a "it wasn't funny then but now we can look back and laugh" light on puberty, but the whole thing's just kind of icky.

Also skippable is Pacific Heat, which has been fairly summarized as "What if Archer wasn't funny?"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:23 am 

I liked Paradise PD. :( It's got no brains, but it's a whole lot better than Family Guy, personally. Not for everyone, though.

I will agree regarding Big Mouth. The show has potential but I found it too haphazard and the delivery didn't really work. I watched about 5 or 6 episodes but kind of gave up after that.

Looking forward to binging Bojack Horseman season 5 in a week's time.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:42 pm 

Big Mouth was alright. I can't really recommend it, but I did finish the season. The theme song being a cover of the worst metal song of all time was good for a laugh, at least.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:52 pm 

I thought Big Mouth was fine, 6.5/10. Better than Disenchantment and WAY WAY WAY better than Paradise P.D., unless Paradise P.D. became a completely different show after the third episode.

Apparently Paradise P.D. is considered to be "Brickleberry, but better." I'm tempted to check out Brickleberry out of morbid curiosity.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:05 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Apparently Paradise P.D. is considered to be "Brickleberry, but better." I'm tempted to check out Brickleberry out of morbid curiosity.

The only good thing about Brickleberry is the opening scene of its pilot episode, which is pretty amusing.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:33 am 

I thought Disenchantment was funny. Maybe the humor was a little old-fashioned, but I liked it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:57 am 

Here's some good Star Trek: Galaxy fanfic:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Here's some good Star Trek: Galaxy fanfic:

I fucking love those guys!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:54 pm 

Posting here instead of the movie thread because it just seems more relevant.

I can't remember what state I was in the one time I watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me years back, but I think it was tired and unfocused, or something similar. But good lord, after watching through seasons 1 and 2 and feeling the falter in the second half of s2, with a return to form right as it ended, I've got to say that even with the reduced cast this is a step up even from there. It basically hammers ever bit of emotion from the original TV series into a white hot poker of trauma and pain, humanizes a significant portion of the cast in a really important way, and is overall both exceedingly uncomfortable and crushing stuff to watch. The humor of the show is totally sapped from this, the soap opera stuff molded into serious drama, and you're left feeling pretty empty by the end. It's a weird film, because I almost feel like watching it before the TV show would lend an emotional weight to it not otherwise felt, but it spoils too much for that to be recommendable. Instead, I'd say make your way through the first two seasons of the show before watching this, and it will give you a newfound respect for the story, the very personal elements of it, and for both Lynch and the cast.

Phenomenal stuff, and people who didn't like it are nuts.

On to the Return for the second time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:06 am 

So Better Call Saul is, as promised by Odenkirk early on this year, becoming swallowed whole by Breaking Bad. It's pretty much already starting. The show as we know it will likely be done with this season and whatever happens next, will be totally different. I'll miss it, but eh.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:28 am 

Twin Peaks: The Return is wayyyy better coming right after watching the rest of the series (and I already loved it a ton the first time through). So many small little details that get carried over, and the change in tone is somehow even more jarring but less so at the same time, which makes no sense I realize but hey, it's David Lynch, so it doesn't really need to make sense. What a fantastic show.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
So Better Call Saul is, as promised by Odenkirk early on this year, becoming swallowed whole by Breaking Bad. It's pretty much already starting. The show as we know it will likely be done with this season and whatever happens next, will be totally different. I'll miss it, but eh.

Ι get the point but I would put it as "converging" not "swallowed". More to the point, I thought the only debate I remember about the show was if it is better than BB, which is what I think and I am in the minority. So, most people should actually see this as a positive thing. From the way you put it, it seems like you it as a negative. Why?

I loved the episode as usual.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:39 pm 

"Swallowed" was the term Bob Odenkirk used in an interview earlier this year, and I think it feels apt with this most recent episode. I don't know if I see it as a negative, since this season has been great as usual. Mostly just that it kinda sucks that things are going downhill so fast for these characters - none of this shit ends well. I think my feelings toward that are a testament to the quality of the show. I'm actually a bit glad, on the other hand, that it isn't dragging shit out - good economic storytelling.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:25 pm 

I don't know why one has to necessarily be better than the other. Both shows, while sharing the same DNA, are so different. Breaking Bad was a Shakespearean tragedy with incredibly high stakes and Better Call Saul is much more grounded and deals with the central themes of love and family far more than anything else. Jimmy's entire impetus to get into law was to be with Kim, and every single bit of drama that follows is due to that driving force. Mike's reason to work in the criminal underground is to provide safety and stability for his granddaughter and her mother. Every single thing between Chuck and Jimmy being because of their own strained relationship and inability to reconcile their natures, and so forth. Nacho's relationship with his father and his ambitions being at odds with one another. The list goes on.

Breaking Bad only very lightly touched on this with Walt's corruption of his own familial issues, which he then personally corrected towards the end (I did it for me, I was good at it).

I don't think they are very alike at all except in tone and style, so I don't see one as being better than the other for that exact reason.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:31 pm 

Empyreal: Gotcha. I'm kinda hoping for a happy, almost corny ending for Saul. I like his character very much.

rexxz: No necessity whatsoever. I'm just stating my preference. It's more like a praise for BCS, because BB was one of my favorite shows.

I like Puppets more than Kill Em All too, is kinda what I'm saying. ;)

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 pm 

Yes I understood that, I have preferences too. I preferred Breaking Bad, but I don't think it's better than BCS. That's the point I was getting at (because you said BCS was better than BB).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:23 pm 

Yeah, it's more that I actually really enjoyed the world of BCS and it was jarring that it's all basically coming to an end/changing into Breaking Bad so quick. Not necessarily positive or negative, just jarring. The show's still fucking great and super well made.

I couldn't even pick which I like better. BB is more action packed and exciting, but BCS feeds the need in me for soul-crushing, intricate human drama.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:34 pm 

Don't forget that there's still at least 4 more years between the start of Breaking Bad and the current time of Better Call Saul. I'm sure they'll do a time jump but it isn't a close as the show would imply, at least in respect.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:46 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Don't forget that there's still at least 4 more years between the start of Breaking Bad and the current time of Better Call Saul. I'm sure they'll do a time jump but it isn't a close as the show would imply, at least in respect.

Oh I know - but after that last episode it's irrefutably different and won't be what it has been, was all. I mean I can see what Bob Odenkirk meant when he said it would really intersect with BB.

Spoiler: show
Saul Goodman didn't just start lawyering around the BB time, so whatever happens next in this show will be drastically different from the world the show has built up. Which was expected - it's breaking down all Jimmy's old life and such. But I'm sure there'll be some twists and turns too, you're right.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:48 pm 

Honestly I think the end it on season 5, just like with BB. I think it would be cool if the very last episode was an entire feature length continuation/epilogue with his life as Gene.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:56 pm 

Yeah I'm guessing they'll actively have whole episodes with Gene by the end - at least a couple to give him a resolution.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 pm 

Bojack S5 was excellent. It's even more meta, which sounds like it could be too much with this show, but it works so well. It continues to be surprising, funny, darkly character driven and compelling and kind of sad but with a heart in there somewhere. Lots of great stuff with the other main characters, aside from Bojack. Also, Todd's "antic" that runs through this season starts as a silly gag but keeps getting funnier, and even as one of the few comedic parts in the season it has something to say.

I don't know if it's better than S4, but it was fantastic and has one of their best episodes ever, hands down. You'll know the one.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah I'm guessing they'll actively have whole episodes with Gene by the end - at least a couple to give him a resolution.

Or it could be more like the plane sequence in season 2 BB, with multiple intros stretched over the whole thing. I need at least one entire episode, though.

It would be hilariously appropriate if it was some kind of anticlimactic ending; him always looking over his shoulder in paranoia for a hit that will never come. Fitting, kind of. And with the way they make their shows I could see them doing it instead of some sort of contrived, cheap ending just for dramatic value. Looking forward to whatever they do either way, and I am positive it will be a big surprise.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:34 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Bojack S5 was excellent. It's even more meta, which sounds like it could be too much with this show, but it works so well. It continues to be surprising, funny, darkly character driven and compelling and kind of sad but with a heart in there somewhere. Lots of great stuff with the other main characters, aside from Bojack. Also, Todd's "antic" that runs through this season starts as a silly gag but keeps getting funnier, and even as one of the few comedic parts in the season it has something to say.

I don't know if it's better than S4, but it was fantastic and has one of their best episodes ever, hands down. You'll know the one.

Loved season 5. Binged it all with two days. Everyone has a story to tell.

Also, the best episode ever wouldn't be "Free Churro" would it? :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:15 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Or it could be more like the plane sequence in season 2 BB, with multiple intros stretched over the whole thing. I need at least one entire episode, though.

It would be hilariously appropriate if it was some kind of anticlimactic ending; him always looking over his shoulder in paranoia for a hit that will never come. Fitting, kind of. And with the way they make their shows I could see them doing it instead of some sort of contrived, cheap ending just for dramatic value. Looking forward to whatever they do either way, and I am positive it will be a big surprise.

Yeah, I can't imagine what they could do - sure it'll be good.

BoJack Season 5 was some of the most cynical, bleak and mind-bending shit yet even for this show. It was very meta and in a much more ingenious, clever way than most shows manage.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
BoJack Season 5 was some of the most cynical, bleak and mind-bending shit yet even for this show. It was very meta and in a much more ingenious, clever way than most shows manage.

No argument here. They do manage to give you laughs along the way, but at the same time no other show can do an episode like "Free Churro" and make it work like Bojack Horseman. I was enthralled the whole season. This show along with Rick and Morty, despite the two shows being very different, highlight that there's a lot of life left in adult animation.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:39 am 

Honestly, I was happy enough with the ending of Bojack Horseman season 4 that I never really wanted a season 5, buuuuut they made it, and so watch it I shall.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:48 pm 

I started watching BoJack Horseman a few weeks ago and I love it. But holy shit, can it be depressing. At times I find myself questioning my own personal motives and actions in my own life. It's really a show that, while being incredibly entertaining and funny, can be incredibly insightful with regards to how people relate to each other.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:18 pm 

Finally started watching the new season of Better Call Saul. It's sooooooooooooo good!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:08 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Finally started watching the new season of Better Call Saul. It's sooooooooooooo good!

I still need to watch it. Season 3 was exceptional and I'm seeing a lot of positive hype about this season. I'll probably wait until after the finale and then binge watch it.

Exkretor wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 am 

This is their best season yet and I don't say that lightly - the cinematography, the layered character-writing, so fucking great.

Particularly the way Jimmy is done now, where you get so little insight into his thought process and only have his outer actions to go off of. The way this show does that is really peerless.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:12 pm 

BCS talk again... finale spoilers:

That final scene with the bar hearing/appeal for Jimmy was really the beginning of Saul Goodman, I guess. And it was easy to see how it happened. He was tired of getting stepped on and jerked around by circumstance and he gamed the system in the biggest way he’s ever done to get his law license back. It was everything he said to that kid outside the HHM building. The double meanings of everything he said in that bar association speech - Goddamn that was good writing. Watching Rhea Seehorn’s face shift from pleased to apprehensive to then getting conned like everyone else - another fucking crushing element.

The Mike subplot was really good too. I’ve been unsure since the middle of last season how relevant all the non Jimmy scenes were, but they’ve been slowly growing to a climax and gaining some real depth. That chase with Lalo was super suspenseful and the murder of Werner was a real turning point for Mike. This is probably one of the only shows I’ve seen that can pull off such obvious pandering and backstory and even swing it into such great, captivating TV as this episode.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm 

I bought The complete series of All In The Family last month. I absolutely love every episode!

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:41 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Bojack is good, but I can't get into the emotion of the characters as much as I can in, say, Futurama or Rick & Morty. I'm not entirely sure why.

same.
I just figured it's because it's all a bit old hat to me. I like that those vibes are being expressed on TV, but that's about it.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:30 am 

100% agreed on BCS Empyreal. I've run out of words to praise that show. I love every second of it.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:12 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I bought The complete series of All In The Family last month. I absolutely love every episode!

There's an episode where Archie and the son in law are sharing the bathroom in the morning for some reason that I really loved.

I haven't watched a lot of this show, but I'd definitely watch more.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 pm 

"Side effects include bleeding from the anus, yeast infections, brain cancer, the nips, and severe constipation"

Anyone else tired of these commercials. I sure am and I can't be alone.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 pm 

Pretty much everything about BCS that can be said has been said already. One thing I will say however is that I'm unsure how much longer the show can go on now, at least for my own enjoyment. I feel like after this last season the show has entered into dangerous territory where it can easily go on for too long and ruin the impact the last couple of seasons made, or go out exactly when it needs to with a glorious climax. Personally I see one, MAYBE two more seasons to wrap up the rest of the story, but if the show goes on after that I hope they have some really good stuff planned because I would hate to see the level of quality writing that we've gotten so far start to diminish.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:57 pm 

Meditari wrote:
Pretty much everything about BCS that can be said has been said already. One thing I will say however is that I'm unsure how much longer the show can go on now, at least for my own enjoyment. I feel like after this last season the show has entered into dangerous territory where it can easily go on for too long and ruin the impact the last couple of seasons made, or go out exactly when it needs to with a glorious climax. Personally I see one, MAYBE two more seasons to wrap up the rest of the story, but if the show goes on after that I hope they have some really good stuff planned because I would hate to see the level of quality writing that we've gotten so far start to diminish.

I have confidence this team wouldn't let it go on too long. I could easily see them getting two more seasons from this story. Just every time I think I know where they're going, they surprise me, so who knows what'll happen next.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 pm 

They ended Breaking Bad pretty much exactly when it needed to end. I'm confident that Gilligan and Gould are very much aware of the dangers of a show overstaying it's welcome, since I vaguely remember them talking about this when they were asked about how they came to the conclusion that it was time to wrap up BB.

Exkretor wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 182  Next