Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:12 pm 

"Strike Back" just gets better - Season 3 has clearly upped the budget, with more boobs, bombs and bullets than ever before.

Also quite pleased that the first two seasons of "Ash vs. Evil Dead" has made its way to Netflix.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:19 pm 

demonomania wrote:
"Strike Back" just gets better - Season 3 has clearly upped the budget, with more boobs, bombs and bullets than ever before.

Also quite pleased that the first two seasons of "Ash vs. Evil Dead" has made its way to Netflix.

I've seen all 5 seasons of Strike Back and from recollection, Sullivan Stapleton fucks a bird in every episode.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:24 pm 

Vikings, season 5, is good; looking forward to seeing the English eventually defeat the vikings. And, Katheryn Winnick is still as hot as ever.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:48 am 

I just started watching Shameless and it's really good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:36 am 

Nahsil wrote:

The good one or the American knockoff?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
demonomania wrote:

I've seen all 5 seasons of Strike Back and from recollection, Sullivan Stapleton fucks a bird in every episode.

What did you guys watch this on?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:12 am 

Amazon Prime. And yes, he does manage to "get his Sullivan on" in about 89% of the episodes.

Waiting for the new season of "Vikings" to come to Prime as well, so don't tell me too much about it.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 am 

demonomania wrote:
Amazon Prime. And yes, he does manage to "get his Sullivan on" in about 89% of the episodes.

Waiting for the new season of "Vikings" to come to Prime as well, so don't tell me too much about it.

Sweet. I'll look it up this weekend.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:13 pm 

Started the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and it's looking great. A woman in the 50s going into stand up comedy. Great cast, interesting story, not the most subtle when it's making its points but very, very, very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Starting Dark tonight as well. Heard great things about it.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:26 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

The good one or the American knockoff?

American one, I'm really enjoying it.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:24 pm 

The new season of Black Mirror just got uploaded onto Netflix this morning. I already watched the first episode and it was great. Hopefully, the rest of the season follow suit.

I've also dived into Norsemen -- it's a Norwegian comedy about a Viking village, basically. I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't of the action genre like I initially thought it would be. Though, it was actually pretty damn funny at parts.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:40 pm 

Four eps into Black Mirror S4, and every episode is gold except 'Crocodile' which was very weak. I feel like I enabled them to do this shit by really unabashedly enjoying episodes like Shut Up and Dance in the past. But previous episodes like that were much better and had twists that made them fun. This had no real humanity to it - felt like a sort of half-written episode compared to the others, bleak but with no complexity.

Otherwise the first episode was magnificently colorful and had a lot to say about nerd entitlement, a certain kind of male nerd, etc. 'Arkangel' was a showstopper with nuanced character writing. 'Hang the DJ' is some real shit about dating culture. This is great so far. Complex and rich humanity and the modern day. We need more stuff like Arkangel and Hang the DJ for sure.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
'Crocodile'

Spoiler: show
Who would win? Serial killer woman or smol gerbil boi?

By the way, I finished the new season today and it's all fantastic. The finale is probably my favorite episode of the season.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:46 am 

I thought Crocodile was okay, it had an impact on me, even though I can see how it's a bit undercooked.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:51 am 

Anyone here enjoy the old soap opera Dark Shadows? I do. I hope other people and metalheads do as well. It ran from 1966 to 1971 with a lot of supernatural storylines. "My name is Barnabas Collins". LOL. Co-starring the wonderful character actor Jonathan Frid. The show runs for over 1200 episodes all together. People who haven't seen it please give the show a try. One particular storyline lasts almost 200 episodes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:21 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I thought Crocodile was okay, it had an impact on me, even though I can see how it's a bit undercooked.

It wasn't terrible, had some fairly good suspense and such. But there was no real humanity or complexity to it. I didn't ever really buy that this lady would resort to murder because they didn't give her a real personality or character at all, and it happened so quickly and randomly that it just took me out of the whole story. The killing of that Muslim family was just ugly, too. You gotta have some stakes and gravity to a story, but that was excessive.

'Metalhead' was a badass episode. Very cool. Not as socially aware as most BM episodes, a bit out of character, but a nicely rugged, propulsive action story.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:32 pm 

Agreed on all comments so far about the new season of "Black Mirror." The first two episodes were awesome.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 am 

I'm rewatching all of the X-Men animated series from the early/mid 90's. For a kids show, it manages to be pretty dark at times, and heart wrenching at others. Even after all this time, I still love this show dearly. I love that all of the heroes aren't completely one dimensional and engage in different kinds of interactions with one another (such as Wolverine's rivalry with Cyclops throughout season 1, and at times, downright resentment and antagonizing behavior stemming from his jealousy of Cyclops' relationship with Jean Grey). I also like how villains such as Magneto have motives that stem from real life trauma and doesn't fit the typical cartoon villain of wanting to take over the world just because he can. Such a great show.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

For people unfamiliar with the show, this just sounds like you enjoy your reptiles well-done.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm 

Hahahahah. I think if I was gonna eat croc I'd want it well done.

I'm thinking about going back and finishing Six Feet Under. Problem is I can't remember where I stopped...I was at least a few seasons in. Dunno why the hell I stopped, that show has some of the best familial/interpersonal drama of anything I've ever seen, genuinely moving.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 am 

I'm behind the times, but I recently got Netflix. Since then, I've been binging heavily on Bojack Horseman and I am hooked! Great show. Comedy, drama, sadness, and a convoluted storyline that actually has continuity. Can't ask for much more from a show. Love all the characters, too.

I'm super into adult animation for some reason, so I'll watch Big Mouth, as well. Plus I'll catch up on season 3 of Rick and Morty, plus season 2 of F is For Family.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:14 pm 

Damn, first two episodes of the new Black Mirror season were totally great but then Crocodile has to be my least favourite Black Mirror episode yet. It's a shame, I was really invested in the premise and setting (I was in Reykjavík in the summer and actually recognized some of the locations), on the edge of my seat for the first half, and then...

...it shits all over its own build-up and devolves into a fucking slasher flick. Seriously, what? That isn't what we watch Black Mirror for. The show has always been impressively shocking/disturbing without resorting to explicit violence. I guess the ridiculous killing spree in the last act was supposed to be an unexpected turn we didn't see coming, but it was just dumb and gratuitous and completely unbelievable.

Here's hoping the rest of the season picks up from the quality of USS Callister and Arkangel, both of which were classic BM.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 pm 

I quite liked "Crocodile", but I can understand the backlash it gets from fans of the show. As a story, "Arkangel" was boring and formulaic, might be my least favourite episode so far.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm 

Arkangel is up there with my favorites of the entire show.

The layered way they presented the characters, from the mother being overbearing but also shown as genuinely wanting the best for her daughter, and the daughter rightfully wanting independence but also clearly dabbling in things that were bad for her, made it a realistic portrait of what parenting is like. The tech wasn't the focus so much as the human question of how to deal with a child and what over-parenting does to a kid - clearly, it affected the daughter in this episode, as her actions were related to how sheltered she was before. I thought it was all really well written and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

The rest of the season is a bit spotty - Crocodile was weak, and closer Black Museum wasn't as substantial as I'd like. Though the latter had some cool imagery and great acting, I just wanted something more to dig my teeth into. Hang the DJ and Metalhead were both very respectable offerings though.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:57 pm 

Yeah, Arkangel could have easily slipped if the mother was depicted as a stereotypical paranoid overprotective parent, but she was much more fleshed out and relatable/believable than that. She still fucked up, no doubt, but her concern wasn't wholly unjustified. Even though she undeniably went too far and acted out of line, I still sympathized with her, especially at the end.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:01 pm 

I can't really disagree with any of that, intellectually, but I was neither very interested in the concept nor the execution.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:12 am 

Finished Punisher last night. They couldve easily trimmed it down to probably 10 episodes. Starting Black Mirror next.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:59 pm 

I've watched all but the finale of Black Mirror Season 4 and I think overall it has been relatively on par with the previous season. Crocodile was the only episode I really struggled to get through.

How did she completely manhandle her first victim? He is significantly bigger than her and the way she was holding him would not have given her leverage to take him down unless she has got some absurd strength. Then the other woman's car doesn't start (the most overused cliche in film/TV and Black Mirror used it twice in one season), but if it had, wouldn't she have been able to get away? It's almost like the main character knew the car wouldn't start. And lastly, what reasons did this episode give me to believe this woman was capable of this kind of killing rampage, especially killing a toddler? If anything, she was developed to be someone who wouldn't do that sort of thing. I just can't get into stories where the actions of the main character run counter to how he/she was developed.

Arkangel was great, for the exact same reasons Crocodile was not. The characters were developed really well and I found myself sympathetic to both the mother and the daughter. That one was a classic Black Mirror episode, which does well in highlighting the unintended consequences of improved technologies.

Hang the DJ has been my favorite so far:

I think the reason this episode is brilliant, is because we spend nearly the entirety of the episode thinking people now live in a world where dating is completely controlled and automated. It feels as if this is another example of sacrificing humanity for technology. The ending, however, flips the script completely. In reality, no sacrifices have to be made in the development of better technology. The real dating app is no different than those in real life, however it is seemingly incredibly more accurate because of its ability to run thousands of simulations. Really creative way of highlighting the fat that technological progress can both be something we need to be consciously weary of, but also something that can be extremely useful for us.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:32 am 

The new X-Files season has started. It's amazing when people create something so much bigger than themselves and they lose control of it. I'm referring to, of course, X-Files creator Chris Carter, who despite conjuring up one of the best TV shows of all time, remains steadfastly the weakest writer for the series. Reviews of the first half of the season all seem to state that Carter's mythology arc episode is by far the weakest and everything else is pretty damn good, especially another from Darin Morgan (eager to see that one!).

And after watching the Season 11 opener, I was in agreement. Carter's mythology episodes for the short Season 10 were cumbersome messes that muddied franchise arcs while desperately cramming in familiar faces. The Season 11 opener felt more like a hectic Michael Bay movie than the X-Files. Instead of being thoughtful and carefully paced, mixing mystery and action, the episode jumped from scene to scene in a visual representation of ADHD, cramming in way too much plotting and action into too little time, confusingly mixing with the end of Season 10. Every shot stuffed to the over-dramatic where actors had barely the time to chew scenery, and little else.

I've been watching the original series run with my son, as he's never seen it and I will always love classic X-Files (we're on Season 5), and the differences in performance, pacing, style, and acting from the classics to Chris Carter's erratic opener are unsettling to say the least.

It's also making me want to side with the Smoking Man.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:59 am 

Started Future Man last night. A lot better than I was expecting.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 am 

New season of "Peaky fooken Blinders" starts out with a bang, looking forward to the rest of it.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:41 am 

I've been watching The Americans lately, and am really enjoying it. Midway through the third season right now. Then I saw that The Path apparently started up a third season already. AND need to get caught up on the new X-Files and Black Mirror episodes.

I seem to have a lot to watch.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Started Future Man last night. A lot better than I was expecting.

That series is absolute bonkers. I love it. Really caught me off-guard with just how insane and bizarre it is. It just doesn't give a fuck about any kind of decency or taboo whatsoever. Dumb and loud, but also clever and versatile in a deranged kind of way. The guy who plays Wolf is such a treat to watch.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:37 pm 

I thought it lost some momentum in the middle of the series but it ended strongly again. The first episode however was fantastic, did not expect it. Wolf was awesome throughout.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm 

I just recently found out that there was a Mortal Kombat live action TV series that aired in the late 90's, and it's basically the best thing ever. A couple of highlights!
https://www.facebook.com/barry.winter.9 ... 757722069/
https://www.facebook.com/barry.winter.9 ... 4620879563

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 am 

My girlfriend and I just blazed through Dark, the new German language Netflix series. A dark, mysterious mind bender. The theme is obvious from the trailer alone, but it's also clear from the first lines of the first episode, so check it out anyway (though I watched it without knowing anything about it and it was great this way)

Beautifully shot, very moody, great performances all around including some very talented teenage actors. Check out the trailer, and yes, German language will probably keep many people away, but do yourselves a favor and check it out.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 pm 

Dark: It was great, I liked the German setting too. Gave it more character among the US/UK shows I usually watch. I liked the story and I liked that it had a touch of Lost vibes (without the randomness).

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 pm 

I loved Dark. Extremely moody, with that relentlessly thick atmosphere. I'm curious to see where the second season goes. The ending seems to set it up for a lot more "action" which isn't really what I wanted or expected...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:29 am 

Dark was good, even if the grimdark tone was a bit ridiculous at times and Time Travel plots just simply don't work on TV.

Anyone keeping up with Star Trek: Discovery? Goddamn it's good.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:02 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Dark was good, even if the grimdark tone was a bit ridiculous at times and Time Travel plots just simply don't work on TV.

Anyone keeping up with Star Trek: Discovery? Goddamn it's good.

I was starting to worry that Discovery was heading towards too much of a narrowed focus. That can be done well, like DS9's Dominion War plot that brought some of the best Trek ever; or it can get bogged down and kind of tedious like Enterprise's Xindi stuff (although even that rescued itself the way by the way it was resolved.) So I'm very happy for Discovery's detour into the alternate universe, which has been imo the series' best couple of weeks yet :D

Next week's X-Files better really slap my ass though, cause last night's episode was dreck. In the past, I've enjoyed their goofball episodes, especially last year's with that Aussie-accented lizard man :lol: That was great fun!
Yesterday's episode completely left behind one of the factors that makes X-Files great: the fact that it offers a diversion from current issues. I mean, they've always kept the alien conspiracy above and outside of political divisions. Which makes sense, because if you're a reptilian shapeshifter from the future, you don't care about Reps and Dems. Then last night... we get "jokes" about fake news, jokes about building a wall :roll: Come on now. X-Files, you're better than this! If I want to hear obvious, low-hanging fruit, practically mindless cracks about Donald Trump's dumbassery, I'll watch Samantha Bee.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 182  Next