Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:30 pm 

I think we need to start calling David Lynch Mister Jackpots now.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 am 

I'm watching this "documentary" show on Netflix called Occult Crimes. Several episodes deal with "goth kids that listen to Trash [sic] Metal."

I'm always mixed on this kind of thing, because no, they will never get the genres correct, they will assume the interests guided the garbage actions of the individuals, they absurdly over-generalize these sub-groups of human society, and seem to overlook the real problems with the people.

Like, yeah, a lot of these people listened to something Metal-like, or they played role-playing games, or they like black clothes or whatever. But they focus way too heavily on this shit in the narrative of the story. Also, they referred to Cannibal Corpse by name, only to claim "Hammer Smashed Face" was an album title. I'm not much of a Cannibal Corpse fan, but even I know that wasn't a fucking album title. An EP, sure, but meh.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:07 am 

Man, fuck Wikipedia sometimes. Some TV series articles are really good about being vague enough with plot sections, season summaries, and sometimes even episode synopses that they are light on spoilers, but sometimes that's the exact opposite case. I haven't watched any of season 7 of The Walking Dead yet, wanted to check just to make sure the season was over before getting started on it, and right on the main fuckin' page before you even click on the link to the page for s7 there's a massive, massive spoiler three words into the first sentence. Ugh.

Edit: Okay, I had a day off and I'm a huge nerd so I've watched all of S7 now. Thoughts with huge spoilers:
Spoiler: show
Man, I seriously hope they had off-camera reasons for killing off Abraham and Glenn. Glenn was probably the most singularly likable character on the show (maybe alongside Darryl) so killing him off was just a huge hit to the cast. When he was being a badass, Abraham was cool, too. I think they could've made other choices - this ain't Game of Thrones.

I didn't really like the first half of the season much. Watching that, I remembered the S6 finale scene with Negan just kinda dragging on too long; it's like, yeah, ok, we get it, he's a psycho, he doesn't need this much screen time to explain this to us. So basically that whole negative quality was transferred over to much of S7, with just wayyyy too much of Negan standing around doing shit like cooking spaghetti while they gotta have him at 100% intimidation mode all the fuckin' time.

That said there were other things about the season I did really like - I'm happy they're getting away from the "realistic zombie apocalypse scenario!" stuff with kinda copy-pasted groups of badguys and adding in some way more goofball, zany sorts, even if it makes like fuckin' zero sense that these groups would exist or behave like this like, what, five years after the fall of civilization? If that? Like those junkyard people - what the fuck is with them? Just a bunch of weird goth melvins hanging out in trash? And then The Kingdom - a bunch of Lawful Good LARPing neckbeards? But fuck it, those factions were really fun, and way more interesting than nondescript groups like The Hilltop. Hopefully S8 has more of that kind of stuff, but I kind of feel like most of the fanbase won't like that stuff because it's too unrealistic. Fuck 'em!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:23 am 

Anyone else grow up watching Are You Afraid of the Dark?

A bit hokey/cornball at times, but lots of classic story adaptations and great original stuff. Kinda like Goosebumps.

Just randomly came across this; the doll @ exactly 13 minutes scared the shit out of me and I had nightmares for years.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25zia ... k-music_tv
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:11 pm 

Nope, never. When it was originally aired it scared the shit out of me and the intro always triggered a Pavlovian response to change the channel.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:37 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Anyone else grow up watching Are You Afraid of the Dark?

A bit hokey/cornball at times, but lots of classic story adaptations and great original stuff. Kinda like Goosebumps.

Just randomly came across this; the doll @ exactly 13 minutes scared the shit out of me and I had nightmares for years.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25zia ... k-music_tv

I did. Some of the stuff they put on was legit creepy. Also, something about the shows intro was really unsettling to see as a young kid.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:00 pm 

Been watching two German series (The Same Sky and Mitten in Deutschland: NSU (or NSU German History X as the English title seem to be)), and last year I watched another one (Deutschland 83). These being the only German series I remember watching, it's given me the impression that Germany have a lack of actors. Tom Schilling plays the lead in The Same Sky and has a not too unimportant role in NSU, Alexander Beyer have an often occuring role in Deutschland 83 and popped up shortly in NSU, and Godehard Giese plays fairly big roles in Deutschland 83 and The Same Sky. Could of course be coincidence, but still a bit funny to see the same people show up every time I do something as rare as watch a German series. The Giese re-occurence is particularly funny because both series are about East-German espionage in West Germany, and they were the first two I watched.

Both spy series also have a side-plot involving homosexual teachers. Maybe that was a common feature in the Cold War espionage environement...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4445154
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5424556
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5765988

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 am 

Halfway through Supernatural S11, goal is to finish S12 by the end of the summer so we can start S13 when it premiers in the fall.

There's a few fluff episodes thrown about, most notably one featuring Dee Wallace (who is her usual impossibly charming self) about a banshee, but everything has been steady with the season's overall arc.
At the end of S10, the Winchesters have enlisted the aid once more of Crowley, the King of Hell, and his mother, a witch named Rowena, to conjure a spell so Dean can remove the Mark of Cain. In doing so, they've unwittingly released the Darkness from her chamber, and now rush to find ways to kill her as they've done with so many others.

This show is pulpy greatness and it knows it.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:06 pm 

Man, I have to say, Season 3 of Better Call Saul has been fantastic. Seasons one and two had some really good moments, but felt inconsistent overall. But this season has been stellar overall.

Exkretor wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 pm 

yep I'm loving it. I think BCS is better than Breaking Bad, overall.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:13 pm 

I think seasons 2 and 3 have both been perfect TV. About the same quality as BB's best stuff for me.

The ending of that last episode where Kim gets in the car accident - holy fuck! Just terrifying and awful. Love how Gilligan and co. get such ominous feelings from such a mundane thing as a car crash. Pure fucking dread.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 pm 

Yeah I haven't felt like much of BCS was inconsistent. Has seemed consistent throughout for me, although I would say the newer stuff has been the best. Season 1 might have been a slighter lower bar, but still very good.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:02 pm 

I haven't started s3 of BCS yet (I'll wait until it's over) but while I liked the first two seasons a lot, it still just doesn't compare to Breaking Bad for me. It has similar writing and an overall similar sort of atmosphere, but the stakes are just nowhere near as high and it's mostly lacking the violence (or threat of it) that added so much tension to Breaking Bad. Definitely second fiddle, but hey, second fiddle to one of the best shows ever created is still pretty damn good.

For anyone interested in nerdy shit or tabletop RPG's in particular, I can't recommend Critical Role enough. It airs on Twitch and you can watch for free (all the old episodes are on there and their website and YouTube channel as well). I was sorta skeptical before getting into it because it seemed kinda hokey, but it's actually incredible. Basically it's nine professional voice actors who are good friends in real life who've been running a D&D (originally Pathfinder before porting their campaign over to D&D 5E) campaign for two years before deciding to start streaming it. They all are very serious about roleplaying their characters and just do an amazing job with the mostly improv dialogue. Like many campaigns, they use background music and a gridded mat with room layouts/maps and miniatures for the characters during battle sequences, but otherwise most of the visuals of the show happen in your own head as you watch it. The episodes are long (each game session is about 3 hours) but I've been binge-watching it hardcore this whole week and just can't stop. I'm getting a lot out of it as a new D&D player trying to learn how to get more into the game and the roleplaying aspect of it, and the show has helped immensely with that, but I think it would be really enjoyable to anyone who likes nerdy fantasy stories.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:07 pm 

Have you watched HarmonQuest, batman?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 pm 

I watched the first episode of it, and it's just not remotely on the same level as Critical Role, unless the format changed way more. Actually that's what I was afraid Critical Role would be like - a bunch of "famous" people who didn't actually give a shit about the game or their characters just there on a short-term basis, without much attention paid to game mechanics or generally taking it seriously. This makes it sound like Critical Role is very stuffy and dry, but it absolutely is not. I mean, often the combat parts are super "holy fuck I'm gonna shit my pants" edge-of-your-seat stuff, and sometimes the dialogue can get really serious and intense, but there's also lots of hilarious stuff. I mean at one point in a recent episode they were sneaking around this keep, and the bard guy was too far away to really contribute and was low on spell slots, so he just went into some baddie's bedchamber while invisible and started taking a shit on his bed. In another recent episode two characters blew through a bunch of their daily spell slots just pranking each other. Lots of in-jokes and quirks of the characters' relationships that they'd developed as a campaign for two years before even making a show out of it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:49 am 

Fear the walking dead- watched half of the the last episode and stopped. Wonder if it'll even last till the finale.
Blood Drive- Obviously really goofy, but I'll keep watching.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:40 am 

re: D&D shows
HarmonQuest is crap, Acquisitions Inc. is getting pretty lame with the "C-team" shows they've been putting out but the PAX specials are always gold (though the last few having Morgan Webb instead of Patrick Rothfuss have been lacking), looks like I need to check Critical Role out.

More Supernatural talk ahead.
-S11E13, "Love Hurts," is the show's take on It Follows. Decent episode, nothing great but nothing terrible. Some nice gore (lots of heart ripping) but ultimately fluff.
-S11E14, "The Vessel," is another time travel episode. Dean is sent back to an Allied submarine during WWII to find a Hand of God (Biblical artifacts touched by God and endowed with some of His power) as Sam delves through the lore to find another way of combating the Darkness. Decent episode with an appearance by Jesse Moss (Canadian character actor who mostly does low budget horror fare, most famously Ginger Snaps and Tucker & Dale vs. Evil), and it establishes something very important about the Hand of God weapons (they're only good for one shot).
-S11E15, "Beyond the Mat," involves a demon lurking around a touring southern wrestling promotion. Imagine my surprise when all of the insider lingo and the general attitude behind the curtain was on-fucking-point (incredibly rare when wrestling episodes of TV shows happen), but then I remember that the Miz was a guest star and had already been in the main event of a WrestleMania by this point. He undoubtedly read the script and gave pointers on how things are/were, right down to this southern indie company running tours that barely break even and feature a slew of has-been's all over the card.
-S11E16, "Safe House," is one of my favorite episodes from a narrative sense. The story unfolds both now and from nearly a decade ago, as former cast members return to re-enact events that would've occurred in either S5 or S6. The parallels in the two timelines, and how they intersect, fit the show's theme of destiny vs. free will, pulling a very Oculus move by showing us both timelines simultaneously. When a character in 2016 opens a door the scene cuts to a character from 2008 walking through that same doorway and vice versa, all while delivering both fanservice (the two former cast members are huge fan favorites) and the surprisingly emotional punch that the show is great at.
-S11E17, "Red Meat," is a bit wishy-washy, more "spin the wheels" than "move forward," but delivers on furthering the major storyline of the season. This is also Jared Padalecki at his most bad ass, surviving a gunshot to the stomach to drag himself from a state forest to a secluded hospital in order to save Dean.
-S11E18, "Hell's Angel," has the Lucifer-possessed fallen angel Castiel at his most entertaining, sneaking into Heaven to strong-arm various angel leaders into working for him to fight the Darkness. Words cannot properly convey how utterly entertaining Lucifer, as a character, is on this show, and that both Mark Pellegrino (the usual Lucifer actor) and Misha Collins (Castiel) are able to both nail it identically, the level of sardonic wit and TDK Joker-like menace on display drawing all attention, is a testament to their abilities. If nothing else of note has come from the post-Kripke (series creator and original showrunner) seasons? Lucifer being allowed to return is the highpoint. One of the best scenes in the entire series happens here, and I'll leave a clip.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:31 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Fear the walking dead- watched half of the the last episode and stopped. Wonder if it'll even last till the finale.
Blood Drive- Obviously really goofy, but I'll keep watching.

Fear the Walking Dead is awful. I managed to get to the S2 mid season finale and just couldn't take it any more after that. All of the characters are annoying idiots. I'll just stick with TWD, and even then that show is beginning to lose me. And I say that having read all of the graphic novels.

With Better Call Saul ending next week, Game of Thrones can't come back fast enough.

Exkretor wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:18 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
re: D&D shows
HarmonQuest is crap, Acquisitions Inc. is getting pretty lame with the "C-team" shows they've been putting out but the PAX specials are always gold (though the last few having Morgan Webb instead of Patrick Rothfuss have been lacking), looks like I need to check Critical Role out.

Just be aware that it is a huge timesink, at 100 episodes around 3 hours each. Their sessions are supposed to be 3 hours, but you can really knock about 20-30 minutes off of each one because they typically play the character background dialogue for around 10-15 minutes at the beginning of each episode while they set things up, then a second time halfway through as an intermission so the players (and viewers) can take a bathroom break or whatever. Sometimes it's longer, though; if there's some really intense stuff going on without a good stopping point sometimes it runs over, and also there's other stuff the players do like Q&A sessions after they finish playing that take up more time but can be skipped (though I find them interesting enough to watch for sure). Actually that's another thing I really like about it: the fan interaction. They contribute to this charity called 826 and make donation requests, and if you donate any amount you can write a message that they'll read on air at the end of the session. Plus, since it's technically a premium YouTube channel (though you can watch it anyway without a sub) they do cool giveaways to random people in the chat room at sub milestones, like signed Player's Handbooks and stuff. Also the fanbase makes all kinds of cool props and shit and sends them to the studio and the cast gets really into that, and gets pumped when viewers do shit like have pizza sent over for their session....just all around cool to see stuff like that, to me.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:15 am 

I recently saw the first episode of season 2 of F is For Family, which I'm now starting to feel is part comedy, part tragedy, haha. Great show. Bill Burr's voice acting is on point.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:59 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Been watching two German series (The Same Sky and Mitten in Deutschland: NSU (or NSU German History X as the English title seem to be)), and last year I watched another one (Deutschland 83). These being the only German series I remember watching, it's given me the impression that Germany have a lack of actors. Tom Schilling plays the lead in The Same Sky and has a not too unimportant role in NSU, Alexander Beyer have an often occuring role in Deutschland 83 and popped up shortly in NSU, and Godehard Giese plays fairly big roles in Deutschland 83 and The Same Sky. Could of course be coincidence, but still a bit funny to see the same people show up every time I do something as rare as watch a German series. The Giese re-occurence is particularly funny because both series are about East-German espionage in West Germany, and they were the first two I watched.

Both spy series also have a side-plot involving homosexual teachers. Maybe that was a common feature in the Cold War espionage environement...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4445154
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5424556
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5765988

And I just watched the third and last episode of NSU, and two more, Sylvester Groth and Ulrich Noethen, popped up who were also in Deutschland 83. And I think I spotted at least one, possibly two others, who were in The Same Sky. Really starting to wonder about the German pool of actors.

Black Diamond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm 

Is anyone else watching the season four premiere of Turn: Washington's Spies tonight?

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:21 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I recently saw the first episode of season 2 of F is For Family, which I'm now starting to feel is part comedy, part tragedy, haha. Great show. Bill Burr's voice acting is on point.

I've been meaning to check that out, it looks pretty funny.

Exkretor wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 am 

The problem with House of Cards is that the writers are either unwilling to or incapable of writing compelling characters. For a series this long, we should see some real development or progression in Frank Underwood or Claire - but they keep winning all the time and so there's no reason for it. The show had an opportunity back in season 3, which I liked but apparently a lot of people didn't, to really explore the relationship of these two powerful, serpentine leaders, but then just fell back on the same old shit again by the next season and dropped any kind of character development.

So instead we just get endless convoluted plots and characters you can barely keep track of and a lot of external crises that spring up randomly episode to episode and kind of mask the truth that really, there's not a lot at stake because we know the Underwoods will keep winning everything with little conflict. And everything seems stretched out to absurd degrees and takes forever to get to the point.

I want to like it for Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright's tremendous performances but damn is it frustrating. This new season is the weakest yet.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 am 

Ι liked it and to be honest it's not like it feels like "winning".

Also, I will say again that I like Better Call Saul more than Breaking Bad (+1 to whoever said it). It features my favorite characters from BB (I'm waiting for Hank and Heiseberg to make an appearance!) and I absolutely love the plot and setting and the exploration of Saul's character.

Begun watching The Leftovers. Season 1 took some patience, supposedly the second and third are the best (or that's what I'm told) but I am hooked enough now (now on season 2). My wife loves it.

Fargo is awesome, American Gods is really good and Twin Peaks needs to move a bit forward (ie, WAKE THE FUCK UP MAN! FOR FUCKS SAKE!)

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 am 

I really doubt Walter will appear in Better Call Saul. Honestly, I really hope he doesn't.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:04 pm 

Yeah, the focus of the show should always be on Jimmy/Saul's personal life and reason for how he became the character we knew in BB. I don't think there will be many more seasons after this one ends - they usually seem to know how to wrap things up nicely. It definitely shouldn't just become a bunch of Breaking Bad cameos and callbacks - the ones we've gotten are mostly tastefully done and serve the story. The focus has always been on Jimmy and his drama though.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:36 pm 

No objections there, I don't think you could even describe the appearance of BB characters as cameos, it's all gotta to do with the plot. The storyline of Mike is as important as Saul's by the way, so BCS is at least partially a prequel to BB, just from another point of view. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a couple of cameos, I trust them to do it right. My comment wasn't a serious wish, I just wanted to point out my fave characters from BB (although I always liked Saul best of all).

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 pm 

The Mike story is important, yeah. I like that they've mostly kept his story subtle and short, not spending too much time on it - a lot of wordless, arty shots of him just doing stuff. We got most of his background in season 1 and since then it's been a lot of slow, methodical and subtly building stuff about him.

If anything, I think I like Saul less now after seeing this - he's kind of a disgusting person really. He did a lot of awful things in Breaking Bad, but he was such a minor character that it seemed cartoonish. Now we're seeing what kind of a person he is and he's a very well-written character, but kind of a terrible person really.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm 

Really? I think he is portrayed as having a great heart. He just doesn't care much about bending the rules a bit. But even when he tries to play nice, life (and especially people like his brother) repay him with shit. What I see is someone wanting to do the right thing but struggling. If Jimmy is a terrible person, then what is Chuck?

I must say the transition from Jimmy to Saul is extremely well documented and natural.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 pm 

I liked him for the first two seasons, but the brilliance of Gilligan is that he is able to show the fullness of a character. Now, in the desperate situation he's in in season 3, we're seeing the uglier side of him. He is doing things for selfish, petty reasons just to make himself feel better.

He does do good things and have good intentions mostly, but that's how people in real life are - usually complex and not just good or bad. But the way he's reacted to the challenges in season 3 has made him much less likable to me - there's just something smug and ugly about him now.

Fucking with that old lady just to get money for himself - Jesus.

Chuck is... I will spoiler this part too in case people aren't caught up yet.

Chuck is an asshole - no doubt. He's a vain and arrogant person and he lied and deceived his brother for years about why he wasn't working in his law firm full time. But he's right about Jimmy being a crook and not fit to practice law. That's why I enjoy this show so much, because there is that duality there. Jimmy is likable but a criminal and immoral, and Chuck is an asshole who is basically correct about a lot of things.

I like how they've treated the two brothers' relationship - how it's spiraling out of control and how both of them are so flawed and interesting, and they keep fucking each other over and escalating things. There's a lot of deep seated family drama there. It goes much deeper than the events we see in the show's timelines. The few flashbacks we got, like the one of Jimmy and Chuck at their mother's deathbed, are extremely illuminating.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:43 pm 

I like when Kim and Jimmy are having drinks at the restaurant after
Chuck had his meltdown in court. Kim is obviously still feeling guilty about it, and when she tells Jimmy this, he ironically says "Everything was his own doing."

Self awareness, not even once.

Exkretor wrote:

Last edited by stickyshooZ on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm 

^ Might want to spoiler that one...

But yeah, you can point to anything Jimmy or Chuck does and say 'that's the real reason for all this,' but then it keeps going further and further back to things they've each done. Like real life, there is no one root cause here. It's a lifetime of scorn and rivalry.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:15 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Really? I think he is portrayed as having a great heart. He just doesn't care much about bending the rules a bit. But even when he tries to play nice, life (and especially people like his brother) repay him with shit. What I see is someone wanting to do the right thing but struggling. If Jimmy is a terrible person, then what is Chuck?

Errrr
What he did to Irene was absolutely awful. And worse, he felt no remorse whatsoever, he was ready to celebrate his "win" with that expensive bottle. He also completely ignored Kim's distress, telling her to chill out etc. in a completely tone-deaf manner when she was clearly in a hurry and upset and in no mood to laugh.

Jimmy always scammed/manipulated people, but most of his marks were either jerks, or not completely innocent. Irene was vulnerable and sweet and innocent and he destroyed her happiness without a shred of guilt. When she broke down in tears I really, really hated Jim right there.

Chuck is an asshole too, of course, just a very different kind of asshole.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:42 pm 

Well my TV watching has entered the dead zone. Hockey's done, Canadian Football League hasn't started, it's too early in the season for baseball games to matter yet; and the series finale of Andromeda played last week. (For all intents and purposes that was a "new show" as it got hardly any syndication run since being cancelled in '05, so I had forgotten it all.)

I have started watching Downward Dog. It follows the relationship and work struggles of a single woman, but narrated from the point of view of her dog. Maybe you have to be a dog owner to appreciate it...
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I want to like it for Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright's tremendous performances but damn is it frustrating. This new season is the weakest yet.

Yeeeeeah, I haven't loved this new season. The lengths that the Underwoods go to in this season have gotten just absurd, if they weren't already. I've only got a few episodes left, but I'm starting to hope they wrap this thing up and end it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:23 pm 

I don't even care how absurd it is - I welcome the outlandish and the wild if it's done in an entertaining manner. My problem with the new House of Cards is that it is largely extremely boring and confusing. It just feels really half-assed.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:37 pm 

Last episode definitely made Jimmy look like a complete ass.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm 

Last episode of Fargo is this week! This season hasn't been nearly as good as the first two, though in the last few episodes it's really picked up steam. I'm looking forward to seeing how it concludes.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
If Jimmy is a terrible person, then what is Chuck?

a good citizen and a bad brother who cares more about his profession and its reputation than his own family (which may not be a bad thing, but it's bad for his brother).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 182  Next