Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:26 pm 

RageW wrote:
How's that? Is it, in any way, Nasuverse-level good? (Though holy shit I'm reading about it and it's FREE)

I wouldn't know, since it's the first game of this type that I play (although if the writing in Nasu's VNs is comparable to that of the best of their anime counterparts (Tsukihime excluded, everyone knows there is no Tsukihime anime), then no, KS is not exactly like that; in fact KS is too wordy, and has some weird uses of words in what seems to me like a failed attempt at grandiose writing, but as I said I'm in no position to judge it or compare to other similar works). I'm just playing it because of the circumstances surrounding it (namely, who made it and what it is about; for a number of reasons, I really wanted to know how they treat the issue of disabilities).

For what it's worth, though, I'm enjoying it. Maybe it's strange to be playing an eroge for the plot instead of the tits, but I'm genuinely interested in the characters' backgrounds and the stories of their respective routes. Perhaps that will tell you something about the writing. But still, probably the best thing you can do if you really are interested is to play it yourself and see if you like it.

EDIT: I love those guys. At one point they have one of the characters dressing in a shirt that reads "Bush Cheney 2004", in three separate lines of text (one for each name and one for the year). That caught me off-guard.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:37 pm 

Gelal wrote:
Maybe it's strange to be playing an eroge for the plot instead of the tits, but I'm genuinely interested in the characters' backgrounds and the stories of their respective routes.

Actually, this is the only reason why I read VNs. So I guess that's good, since Nasu's stories are all about storyline, plot and characters. I downloaded it already (and turned off the ero content haha), so far I have read nothing but positive feedback on it, so my hopes are high up.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 pm 

SUP BITCHES
can anyone reccomend me some anime in vein of K-on!, Yuru Yuri, or Haruhi? i like the art in the anime i mentioned, i like tsundere characters, and cute girls doing cute things. and yuri. yuri is always ok.

also i've always wanted to try visual novels, alas i cannot find any (or at least any i do not suspect of being depressing on a clannad-esque level) for Mac OSx. so if any of you fine gentlemen know of some some suggestions would be super fuckin duper
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:54 am 

Gelal wrote:
phibzy wrote:
Haha, I've been playing that too. Just finished Emi's route which was quite... entertaining to say the least. Might do the other routes some other time, if I can ever be bothered.

Seems like everybody does Emi's route first. It just... flows naturally, I guess. I trust you got the good end? I doubt I could ever get the bad one, I'm sure it'd take some really poor choices. Although I do have a good idea of which choices could land me there (namely, nagging her too much at the wrong times).

Yeah, well, I didn't think taking that particular option meant I would constantly nag her nearly every time we did something together, so on the first go I got the band end with her.

Obviously I realised exactly which option to change so I just went back to one of the spots I saved at and then fast forwarded until that decision, and then I got the good end eventually. :)

As for that Kenji end, I don't even know how the fuck you manage to get them haha, hope I don't get that when I try to do Lilly's or Hanako's route next.

Suffersystem wrote:
SUP BITCHES
can anyone reccomend me some anime in vein of K-on!, Yuru Yuri, or Haruhi? i like the art in the anime i mentioned, i like tsundere characters, and cute girls doing cute things. and yuri. yuri is always ok.

Azumanga Daioh and A Channel are pretty much cute girls doing cute things. As for tsundere characters, Toradora!, Shakugan no Shana or anything with Rie Kugimiya cast in it is what you should look for.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:22 am 

the most beautiful of japanese animation
http://vimeo.com/34424384

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 am 

RageW wrote:
(and turned off the ero content haha)

Then you're missing out on some very wacky situations.
Spoiler: show
Unless it's normal for Japanese girls to grant passage through the back door, if you know what I mean, on their second encounter with someone. Or go all femdom on the first, with light bondage and all...

phibzy wrote:
As for that Kenji end, I don't even know how the fuck you manage to get them haha, hope I don't get that when I try to do Lilly's or Hanako's route next.

Easy: just be indecisive and refuse to explicitly go after one of the girls. If you haven't made plans for the first festival with any of them, you end up with Kenji. At least that's what I did both times: first I somehow failed to enter into any of the routes 'cause I was aiming for either Lilly or Hanako and had no clue how to get to their routes, so I didn't. Then one the second time I refused to show interest in the art club, effectively forfeiting Rin's route, which at that point was the only option I had left apparently. So I ended up getting hammered on the rooftop again.

Suffersystem wrote:
also i've always wanted to try visual novels, alas i cannot find any (or at least any i do not suspect of being depressing on a clannad-esque level) for Mac OSx. so if any of you fine gentlemen know of some some suggestions would be super fuckin duper

The one we've been discussing lately, Katawa Shoujo, is available for Mac. And Windows and Linux too. I'm running it on Linux just fine, so I expect it to work on Macs just fine. With one caveat, though: fullscreen mode is apparently not supported on OS X. So you'll have to play it windowed.

Normally, though, they're usually only available for Windows AFAIK. So perhaps your best option is to run Windows through Bootcamp or whatever. Or perhaps there is an emulator or something similar, like us Linuxers can use Wine to run Windows software. Come to think of it, I seem to recall there being a Wine version for Mac OS X, so you might want to look into that.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:12 am 

Gelal wrote:
phibzy wrote:

Easy: just be indecisive and refuse to explicitly go after one of the girls. If you haven't made plans for the first festival with any of them, you end up with Kenji. At least that's what I did both times: first I somehow failed to enter into any of the routes 'cause I was aiming for either Lilly or Hanako and had no clue how to get to their routes, so I didn't. Then one the second time I refused to show interest in the art club, effectively forfeiting Rin's route, which at that point was the only option I had left apparently. So I ended up getting hammered on the rooftop again.

I see. Well I was originally going along the route of Hanako/Lilly(I think) but then after a decision involving Emi the whole thing got shifted towards her and then it kind of went from there.

The only one who I blatantly refused was Shizune because she was acting like a bitch, but apparently in her route you can manage to have sex with Misha at one point. Of course this ends in a bad end though.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:30 am 

phibzy wrote:
The only one who I blatantly refused was Shizune because she was acting like a bitch, but apparently in her route you can manage to have sex with Misha at one point. Of course this ends in a bad end though.

Gotta take that into account then. I'm playing Shizune's route now, and so far I haven't been offered that possibility (don't worry, I don't mind the spoiler). Or maybe I just made choices that prevent it from happening.

As for Emi, getting her route is easy: just tell the nurse you'll definitely do some exercise, go running, try to outrun her, and it probably takes a big screw-up to fall out of her path after that. Just like joining the student council is a good start for Shizune's route, or going for the art club is for Rin's. I'm guessing behaving like Kotobuki Tsumugi from K-ON will get you on Lilly's route, because of the tea and all that. :P

If anyone's interested, the first flowcharts about the different routes have started to surface at the official KS forum.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:38 am 

Gelal wrote:
phibzy wrote:

Gotta take that into account then. I'm playing Shizune's route now, and so far I haven't been offered that possibility (don't worry, I don't mind the spoiler). Or maybe I just made choices that prevent it from happening.

Well the only two decisions which I remember led to me hanging out with Hanako/Lilly was where I decided to attack in a game of Risk against Shizune, meaning I lost the game. Then the other one occurred when Shizune and Lilly were having an argument in the classroom, and you can choose to either "Stay out of it" or "Stick up for Lilly" or something. In that one I went for the latter and then next minute I no longer had some annoying bitch waving her hands in front of me like a retard. :)

Gelal wrote:
As for Emi, getting her route is easy: just tell the nurse you'll definitely do some exercise, go running, try to outrun her, and it probably takes a big screw-up to fall out of her path after that. Just like joining the student council is a good start for Shizune's route, or going for the art club is for Rin's. I'm guessing behaving like Kotobuki Tsumugi from K-ON will get you on Lilly's route, because of the tea and all that. :P

I only managed to have one tea party with Lilly/Hanako before Emi sidetracked me which was a shame, however next time I play I will follow in the footsteps of Mugi and just choose to have tea and cake with those two girls whenever I can.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:49 pm 

Oh, boy. I just checked this season's charts to see if something worthy was airing, and it looks like I'll have a lot of time to go through my backlog. All second seasons of shows I haven't watched, or stuff that I have no interest in watching. Except for Natsume and Sankarea. And maybe that new Production I.G. movie.

phibzy wrote:
I decided to attack in a game of Risk against Shizune, meaning I lost the game.

Oh, no, you lose either way. The only thing that changes is Shizune's opinion of you: playing defensively makes you seem a spineless wimp and is not a good idea if you want to play her route. Which I just finished, by the way, straight to the good end after averting the Bubblegum Crisis (pun totally intended). Right now, I've completed nearly half of the game, and I still have three routes to play, so those will probably be shorter (Shizune's is shorter than Emi's, too, four acts instead of five).

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go for Rin next, since I already know which options get me into her route. Or perhaps I'll Mugi the fuck up and aim for Lilly. Which reminds me of a little something that some of you might have seen before, sung to the tune of "Let it Be":

Let's have tea

When I find myself in times of trouble
Kotobuki Tsumugi comes to me
Offering cake and cookies; "Let's have tea"

And when I'm scared to death
She is standing right in front of me
Offering cake and cookies; "Let's have tea."

Let's have tea, Let's have tea.
Offering cake and cookies; "Let's have tea."

And when I'm broken hearted, people
Living, after all is sweet.
There will be an answer, "Let's have tea."

Although our paths are parted
There is still a chance that we could meet
There will be an answer, "Let's have tea".

There will be an answer, "Let's have tea".

Offering cake and cookies, "Let's have tea".

Offering cake and cookies, "Let's have tea".

Although the night is cloudy,
We still can look up on the stars and see
They're shining, right above us. Can't you see?
I wake up to the sound of music
And so my friends come to me

You're loved by everyone around you, can't you see?

Let's have tea, let's have tea.
There will be an answer, let's have tea

There will be an answer, let's have tea

Offering cake and cookies: "Let's have tea."

I did not write it, though, so all credit goes to whoever did. I don't know who it was, I had it lying around on a text file with weird stuff like this.

EDIT: In the end, I Mugi'd, so it's Lilly route for me now (although it seems like it's a one choice difference for going with Hanako's, so I might do that one next and save Rin for last). Currently starting the second arc, due to having been able to fast forward through most of the first.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:31 pm 

Gelal wrote:
Oh, boy. I just checked this season's charts to see if something worthy was airing, and it looks like I'll have a lot of time to go through my backlog. All second seasons of shows I haven't watched, or stuff that I have no interest in watching. Except for Natsume and Sankarea. And maybe that new Production I.G. movie.

phibzy wrote:
I decided to attack in a game of Risk against Shizune, meaning I lost the game.

Oh, no, you lose either way. The only thing that changes is Shizune's opinion of you: playing defensively makes you seem a spineless wimp and is not a good idea if you want to play her route. Which I just finished, by the way, straight to the good end after averting the Bubblegum Crisis (pun totally intended). Right now, I've completed nearly half of the game, and I still have three routes to play, so those will probably be shorter (Shizune's is shorter than Emi's, too, four acts instead of five).

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go for Rin next, since I already know which options get me into her route. Or perhaps I'll Mugi the fuck up and aim for Lilly. Which reminds me of a little something that some of you might have seen before, sung to the tune of "Let it Be":

Let's have tea

Yeah I've started Hanako's route, and yes there's only one choice that separates Lilly and Hanako. The choice involves either going to town or the library at the time of the festival, I'm sure you can work out which gets you each route. ;)

Also I must say that song is amazing, even if you didn't write it.

As for this seasons shows, I plan on watching just Nisemonogatari and Amagami SS+ for now, as well as all the two cour shows from last season I was watching such as Last Exile ~ Fam and Persona.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:37 pm 

Rewatching Hajime no Ippo for the umpteenth time. It's amazing how well this show holds up every time.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:43 am 

phibzy wrote:
As for this seasons shows, I plan on watching just Nisemonogatari and Amagami SS+ for now, as well as all the two cour shows from last season I was watching such as Last Exile ~ Fam and Persona.

Which reminds me that I should ninja edit my previous post, only I can't now because you already quoted it. The thing is, I was looking at an outdated version of the chart, which had shows that will air in the Spring season (Sankarea and the Production I.G. movie) and lacks shows that will air on this second half of the Winter season (Miniskirt Pirates; shame on you, Japan, and shame on the fansubbers 'cause all of them jumped like hungry lions on a wounded gazelle to sub it). Not that the actual Winter 2012 chart is any better... At first glance, other than that Anime Bunko thing by ufotable and the BD/DVD specials of stuff I've already watched, I don't see much of anything that I'd want to watch. There's supposed to be a new Young Animator Training Project soon, however, and I'll probably watch that. And I'll be archiving Nise, for when I finally decide to watch Bake.

As for KS, seeing how I'm playing Lilly's route and chose to go for a walk, yeah, I think I got that one figured out. :P In fact, with that I already know how to get into each of the five routes. I'll go for Scarface when I'm done with Lilly, and save Rin for last.

EDIT: Lilly's route is done. Damn you, KS developers, for making me think I had screwed up and would get a bad end (apparently there is no bad end in that route? I have unlocked all of its scenes, unlike in the previous two routes I played). And for the heartwrenching, if slightly cliche, end of the route. Well done, really. Best route so far along with Emi's.

Also, I see I forgot to mention yesterday that I did finish Tokyo Red Hood. So now I'm sure that the hentai tag does not apply. Or at least, that it more or less applies as much as it would to the likes of Berserk. It took a few minutes of processing the whole thing to understand what in the Nine Hells I had just read. It's quite weird.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:50 am 

Gelal wrote:
As for KS, seeing how I'm playing Lilly's route and chose to go for a walk, yeah, I think I got that one figured out. :P In fact, with that I already know how to get into each of the five routes. I'll go for Scarface when I'm done with Lilly, and save Rin for last.

EDIT: Lilly's route is done. Damn you, KS developers, for making me think I had screwed up and would get a bad end (apparently there is no bad end in that route? I have unlocked all of its scenes, unlike in the previous two routes I played). And for the heartwrenching, if slightly cliche, end of the route. Well done, really. Best route so far along with Emi's.

Finished Hanako's route last night, the good end was quite nice. A bit of warning however, try your best not to get Hanako's bad end as it isn't the greatest sight to see.

I'm doing Lilly's route tonight hopefully. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but is her route the only one with an epilogue? I read somewhere that it supposedly was. Either way, I know that her good end will be just as heartwarming as Hanako's.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 am 

So I just finished Steins Gate, and I think it may be the greatest series I've ever seen, on nearly every level.
I won't give out any spoilers, but if anybody here hasn't seen it yet, do so as soon as you can, it's just that good.

Up next; Outlaw Star, looking forward to this one.

last.fm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:27 am 

TheOldOne wrote:
So I just finished Steins Gate, and I think it may be the greatest series I've ever seen, on nearly every level.
I won't give out any spoilers, but if anybody here hasn't seen it yet, do so as soon as you can, it's just that good.

I had a few qualms with Steins;Gate, but yeah. Great show.

I'm kinda sad Mayuri wasn't the main romantic interest, though. She was my favorite character, next to Okabe.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:58 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
TheOldOne wrote:

I had a few qualms with Steins;Gate, but yeah. Great show.

I'm kinda sad Mayuri wasn't the main romantic interest, though. She was my favorite character, next to Okabe.

"Tu~turu!"

Mayuri was one of my favourites of the series as well. That being said though, I found it more fitting that Kurisu was the love interest.

Favourite scene of the series was easily this part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bf0aYBk0OQ

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm 

Steins;Gate, huh? Sounds interesting. Which one should I go for, the VN or the anime?

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 pm 

RageW wrote:
Steins;Gate, huh? Sounds interesting. Which one should I go for, the VN or the anime?

I've heard some people say they liked the art in the VN more but I myself haven't looked at it.

In any case I don't really think you can go wrong with the anime.

last.fm

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:02 pm 

phibzy wrote:
Finished Hanako's route last night, the good end was quite nice. A bit of warning however, try your best not to get Hanako's bad end as it isn't the greatest sight to see.

I'm doing Lilly's route tonight hopefully. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but is her route the only one with an epilogue? I read somewhere that it supposedly was. Either way, I know that her good end will be just as heartwarming as Hanako's.

An epilogue... Well, maybe you could call it that. It doesn't end where you'd expect it to. And then, once again, it doesn't end where you'd expect it too.

You go after Lilly, see her at the airport right before she leaves, but the effort gives you another heart attack. I was expecting it to end there, either living but without Lilly, or kicking the bucket due to the heart attack. In the next scene, you wake up at the hospital. Stuff happens, and suddenly, Lilly out of nowhere. Tears everywhere, and so on... And you'd expect it to end there. Well, it doesn't, there's another scene with both of them seeing Lilly's sister off before she goes to Scotland, this time travelling without Lilly.

Anyway, I just finished all five routes. Good ends all the way, although since I hadn't saved for a while when playing Rin's route (which was hard to get to the good end, by the way, she's a difficult character and the development of the story kept making me think I had screwed up, just like with Lilly's route), I went back to see her bad end. Which isn't as bad, IMHO. Sure you don't get the girl, but it could have ended worse. So maybe it's just a normal end, neither bad nor good?

Then I replayed Hanako's route once, and aimed for a bad end, and got one where we stay as friends and nothing more. So I guess that's not the bad end either, it doesn't fit your description. I seem to be unable to get bad ends. If only real relationships were as easy as relationships with 2D girls... :P

All in all, I have now completed 96% of the game, and only have a few scenes that I haven't seen in Emi's, Shizune's, Hanako's and Rin's respective routes. I'm guessing those are the ones leading to either normal or bad ends. Also, I have discovered a couple new ways to get the Kenji end in the first act.

P.S: I can no longer call Hanako "Scarface". She acted so cute, I'm gonna call her HNNNNNGnako from now on. She's the Giver of Deaths by Moe Overdose and Cardiac Arrests.

EDIT: Just played Hanako's bad end. Jesus. Fucking. Christ. Man. I'll be damned, you were absolutely right: that wasn't something I wanted to see, although perhaps the effect was amplified by having achieved her other ends before, which are far better (even the normal end). Well, at least I now have 100% of the scenes of her route, just like I have Lilly's (and now Shizune's, after replaying her route and not dealing properly with the Bubblegum Crisis. Oh, and Emi's, her bad end wasn't as bad as I had thought, perhaps because right now I'm doubting that any bad end will be worse than Hanako's).

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 pm 

Gelal wrote:
P.S: I can no longer call Hanako "Scarface". She acted so cute, I'm gonna call her HNNNNNGnako from now on. She's the Giver of Deaths by Moe Overdose and Cardiac Arrests.

EDIT: Just played Hanako's bad end. Jesus. Fucking. Christ. Man. I'll be damned, you were absolutely right: that wasn't something I wanted to see, although perhaps the effect was amplified by having achieved her other ends before, which are far better (even the normal end). Well, at least I now have 100% of the scenes of her route, just like I have Lilly's (and now Shizune's, after replaying her route and not dealing properly with the Bubblegum Crisis. Oh, and Emi's, her bad end wasn't as bad as I had thought, perhaps because right now I'm doubting that any bad end will be worse than Hanako's).

Don't say I didn't warn you about that. :P

With Hanako I managed to get the bad end first up, which wasn't the nicest thing seen as I had that particular scene stuck in my head for the rest of the game. I also managed to get the neutral ending with Hanako, which had nothing wrong with it really. As stated in some other post I also got Emi's bad end, which as you say is not bad at all really.

Been playing through Lilly's route and I've reached Act 4.

What I find quite funny about Lilly's route though is that despite the fact I'm not going after Hanako, she seems to be a much happier person than during the course of her own route, with the exception being that HNNNNG ending.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:53 am 

I have only been reading KS for a short time, but Lilly and Hanako are definitely my favourite characters so far. I'm trying to do both of their routes first because they're so damn moe. Anyway, I'm really liking this so far, it seems all those positive comments weren't exaggerating :D

Edit: Aw I got Hanako's first, even though I wanted to start with Lilly. Oh well.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:06 am 

@phibzy:

Yeah, that bit about how Hanako behaves in Lilly's route was weird. I take it as meaning that she realized that since Lilly and Hisao had each other, her relationship with them may change, and she'd better do something about changing herself instead of relying on others. So she tries to make new friends and apparently succeeds.

Also, I swear I saw Hanako's body emiting flames during her bad end, such was the intensity of her anger. Hell hath no fury like a woman unnecessarily whiteknighted.

Another weird thing is that I now have 100% completion in the game, yet I still lack two images in the gallery (bonus "thanks for playing" image, which is the last one from the last page of the gallery and appears when you get all the endings, and the one between the image of Emi in bed smiling during their pillow fight and the image of Emi on top of Hisao prior to their first erotic scene, in page 2). That, and Rin's route apparently has three endings (good, neutral and bad) but I can remember getting only two:

The one where she stays with Hisao and the one where she goes to study art to a Tokyo art school.

Anyone care to confirm if the third one is the second of the above, just prompted by different choices?

And... Wait, according to the flowchart, there's a Lilly neutral end? Didn't get that one either. I guess I know now why I haven't gotten the bonus image, even if I got all of Rin's endings and just forgot about getting the third. Well, it seems I have to Mugi up again (yes, I just used Mugi as a verb again :P).

As for Emi's bad end... Now that I think about it it's pretty bad, something like that would hurt a lot in real life.
I can only think of a few things worse than having to listen to the girl you love as she ignores your attempts at fixing things and says "there is no us". I know she acts like it's not a big deal (par for the course for her, actually), but those are some harsh words, and she's quite blunt about the whole thing.

RageW wrote:
Edit: Aw I got Hanako's first, even though I wanted to start with Lilly. Oh well.

Be warned: your body isn't ready for what you'll see in HNNNNNGnako's route. Even if it is, it still isn't, never was and never will be. That pool scene, man. That. Glorious. Pool. Scene. I'm making it into a wallpaper for my computer if nobody else at the KS boards has.

EDIT: Disregard the above bit about the missing Emi image, I unlocked it. In fact, I also unlocked the bonus image, so now I have a complete gallery, complete library, and all music available, as well as the five animations. Which means I've gone through all possible scenes and all possible endings. I haven't checked all possible choices, though, but I don't think I'll bother since no matter what I do from now on in the game, I'll have already experienced the result.

For the Emi image, all I had to do is aim for the bad end, then fix things by making the proper choice when Bubblegum asks me about what happened. Bubblegum is a bro in this route.

Also, the part where things are fixed after the screw-up at Emi's house and the bad end is averted, ultimately leading to the good end, is awesome. Perhaps even better than getting straight to the good end without having to fix anything.

As for the bonus image, it seems what I lacked was the neutral ending of Lilly's route, obtained if you lie to her. Instead of getting the awesomeness of the good end, the story ends at her leaving, with Hanako and Hisao saying goodbye to her at the school's gates.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 am 

Well, it's currently 2:48am here where I am and I just finished up Lilly's route.

That ending was extremely heartwarming (although I did predict one or two things would occur), and it was only made better by the fact I avoided getting a neutral and/or bad end on the first go.

I've still got two routes left (Shizune and Rin), however I highly doubt they will live up to the standard of Lilly's. As a matter of fact I don't even see myself bothering with Shizune's route to be honest.

I must admit Gelal you were pretty spot on with the "not ending when you expect it to" thing, I could have sworn I fucked up at least one choice and thought that gate scene was the last I would see of Lilly, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:05 pm 

Is there any word on when the next Hellsing OVA's are going to be released?

Also has anyone got any recs for Animes like Ergo Proxy, which I thought is propbably the best Anime series I've ever seen.

This is like the metal version of "I can't cook, I even fuck up Mac & Cheese"

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:51 pm 

doomlover wrote:

Yes. The next one to be released will be OVA #9, on the 15th of February. You can expect fansubbed versions around March, probably, although in my experience the wait can be longer than that. And that's for versions in English, I'll have to wait longer 'cause I'm following it in Spanish (I started in Spanish and have OCD, preventing me from switching to English versions for shows I started in other languages).

doomlover wrote:
Also has anyone got any recs for Animes like Ergo Proxy, which I thought is propbably the best Anime series I've ever seen.

You probably have seen it already, but Ghost in the Shell is the first thing that comes to mind that is anywher neare close to Ergo Proxy. Texhnolyze, maybe? Or Serial Experiments Lain, depending on what you liked about the show. Lain for philosophical mindfuckery, GitS for the sci-fi futuristic cyberpunk action... Oh, and the Appleseed franchise does the "utopic/dystopic world with a not-so-perfect government" thing quite well, so in that aspect it's similar to Ergo Proxy.

@phibzy: Shizune and Rin are the routes I like the least, but they still have some nice moments. I encourage you to play them, even if it's only for completing the game.

What I didn't like about Shizune's is that, at one point, it stops being about her and Hisao, and instead focuses on her and Misha. Hello? Who's the lead character here and who's a secondary character? Also, her bad end is just lacking something... It's all about her being unreasonable and selfish, and that's it. She never even mentions Hisao banging Bubblegum, and in fact I don't think she ever finds out about it, so Hisao's affair with Bubblegum is unrelated to the reason they break up. IIRC, in all the other routes except maybe Lilly's, Hisao's mistakes are the direct cause of the bad ends, so this is pretty unique.

Other than that, her path shares one minor flaw with Lilly's: their feud and that of their families are never resolved. It doesn't really matter to me, but for how much they stress those points in both routes, I was expecting something related to it would eventually happen.
But it does have nice moments, as I said. How their relationship gradually progresses, establishing an interesting parallel with how Hisao keeps getting better at sign language, for example. It's interesting how becoming able to communicate without needing Misha brings them closer and makes them understand each other better. And at the same time becomes troublesome for Misha, which as previously stated eventually changes the focus of the story.

As for Rin... I don't think I'll ever understand that route. It's an emotional rollercoaster, and you'll probably find yourself wondering what the hell you should do many times. And often, your choices will not make a difference. And sometimes you'll just think that it doesn't matter if you get the bad end, because it's still better than going through so much shit because of Rin. And perhaps you'll want Rin to suffer, or wish her a gruesome death. I don't know, I think I need more time to digest that path. The only thing I'm sure of is this: you'll find out that Rin's real problems are completely unrelated to her lack of arms.

Oh, and Rin's good end has probably the best last words in any scene. The last sentence she speaks to Hisao is simply beautiful.

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:54 pm 

Gelal wrote:
doomlover wrote:

Yes. The next one to be released will be OVA #9, on the 15th of February. You can expect fansubbed versions around March, probably, although in my experience the wait can be longer than that. And that's for versions in English, I'll have to wait longer 'cause I'm following it in Spanish (I started in Spanish and have OCD, preventing me from switching to English versions for shows I started in other languages).

Sorry I probably should have added that I'm looking for the dvd release, the last one was number 4 in like 2008 and it seems like the others arent any closer to being released on dvd.

Thanks for the reccs yea Ive seen/checked those out before and whilst they are all good in their own way I dont think any come close to that sort of thing that Ergo Proxy does.

This is like the metal version of "I can't cook, I even fuck up Mac & Cheese"

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:13 pm 

doomlover wrote:
Sorry I probably should have added that I'm looking for the dvd release, the last one was number 4 in like 2008 and it seems like the others arent any closer to being released on dvd.

Seeing how it's an OVA, the date I provided should be the DVD release date... In Japan. :P But of course, you want the DVDs in English, so international release date it is. Honestly, I have no idea about that, but Hellsing Ultimate was/is licensed to Geneon and/or Funimation, you might want to check the websites for both companies to see if they have any schedules or whatever. Although since several studios have taken care of doing the OVAs (Gonzo, Madhouse and others I can't recall now), perhaps nothing beyond OVA #4 has been licensed yet, I don't know.

Regarding the recs... Well, if I come up with something that fits the requirements, I'll let you know. But I suspect this is just a case of you being such a rabid fan of the series (nothing bad with that, happens to practically all of us with at least one show) that probably nothing short of a second season of Ergo Proxy would satisfy you. :P

On a completely unrelated note relevant only to those playing KS, I no longer need confirmation about the third end of Rin's route. After revisiting some scenes, I saw that two of the ends have some things in common, so that's why I thought I had obtained only two, I merely merged two different ends in one as if they were the same when they weren't, then added the other end. Thus, 1+1+1=2. ;)

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 am 

doomlover wrote:

There's actually a website called anime-planet.com that's dedicated to anime recommendations. While Ghost in the Shell, Texhnolyze, Lain, and Appleseed show up, they also offer Darker Than Black, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, Death Note and Evangelion (though I imagine you've seen those two), Noein, Elfen Lied, Gilgamesh (NOT the band), Casshern Sins, Deadman Wonderland, and several others. While these recommendations just come from other fans in that community, I don't know if these will really be helpful (I haven't seen Ergo Proxy yet myself), but it's at least a start. To be honest, I don't know how many good gritty supernatural anime series have been coming out lately. Everything's been so hyper-cute or grimdark overkill, though other followers of this thread have recommended Steins;Gate, I guess.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:16 pm 

Another step towards clearing my backlog: I just marathoned AnoHana. Disappointing show in my opinion, I really don't see why it's praised so much. The drama is kind of forced, some parts were really predictable, and I can't help but laugh at some parts. Specially the nicknames of two of the characters are really funny, because there is only one Menma (and now that I think about it, I should watch that if only for completeness, since it's related to Genshiken and I already endured the terrible KujiAn spin-off) and I keep thinking that Anjou's nickname is written in katakana. Also, not even one tenth of the tearjerker I was told it is. Then again, there aren't many things that can make me cry, so maybe it's just me.

Now, things that make me laugh are more common. And sometimes I feel bad laughing at certain things. Things like the Hanako pictures that have been popping out recently at memegenerator.net (that's just a metal related sample, not exactly the funniest of all of them; also do not click that link if you're playing KS and haven't seen Hanako's bad end, it's spoilerrific).

Oh, well, time to pick the next thing from my backlog that I'll watch. I'm leaning towards some Tatami Galaxy because more Yuasa is always good, but perhaps I'll just let my trusty four-sided dice decide.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:55 am 

Gelal wrote:
Now, things that make me laugh are more common. And sometimes I feel bad laughing at certain things. Things like the Hanako pictures that have been popping out recently at memegenerator.net (that's just a metal related sample, not exactly the funniest of all of them; also do not click that link if you're playing KS and haven't seen Hanako's bad end, it's spoilerrific).

Yeah I've seen way too many similar images to that in recent days popping up around the place, that one was one of my favourites.

Now that I have a really short amount of spare time before I go back to school and study like mad in my final year, I might finally manage to get around to watching some of the shows that I have from last year piling up on my hard drive, Madoka being one of them.

Also I might add that I thought the first episode of Nisemonogatari wasn't the most exciting thing ever, however knowing what happened in Bakemonogatari it will probably take one or two episodes to properly get into gear.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:47 pm 

Outlaw Star was pretty good, I do see some of the Bebop comparisons but they're actually fairly different, particularly in the sense that Outlaw Star is far more of an "Anime" series than Bebop i.e. perverted peeping tom males, episode revolving around hot springs['Fuckin hilarious episode though, particularly the last few mins.]etc.

Another thing I noticed was that Aisha's breasts were frequently drawn in different sizes throughout the series, much of the time they appear rather smallish, but in episodes 18 and 23 they are noticeably larger. Maybe it was just me though.

Gilliam, the ships computer, was awesome btw.

I'm going to watch gurren lagann next. Looks like it'll be a blast.

last.fm

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:04 pm 

Boobs are obviously going to be all over the place throughout a series. You've seen nothing yet if you haven't watched newer One Piece, Nami's tits are fucking hilarious, they look different in every single shot.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:27 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:

If you like ridiculously over the top anime with giant robots doing the impossible (ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH, etc) and awesome characters with balls of steel (even the women) shouting their lungs out (which as we all know is the secret to beating your opponents), then yes, it will be a blast. It certainly was for me, although initially I didn't think I would enjoy it, not being a big fan of mecha stuff. But damn, that was fun. Watch the movies too if you can, it's the same story, but some parts are extended and/or changed, making it even more awesome.

Well, time to tackle that Genshiken special I mentioned earlier. Sometimes I hate being so OCD about watching everything related to a show I've watched (OVAs, specials, etc, etc.), this looks like it'll be physically painful to watch.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:47 pm 

Gelal wrote:
@phibzy: Shizune and Rin are the routes I like the least, but they still have some nice moments. I encourage you to play them, even if it's only for completing the game.

What I didn't like about Shizune's is that, at one point, it stops being about her and Hisao, and instead focuses on her and Misha. Hello? Who's the lead character here and who's a secondary character? Also, her bad end is just lacking something... It's all about her being unreasonable and selfish, and that's it. She never even mentions Hisao banging Bubblegum, and in fact I don't think she ever finds out about it, so Hisao's affair with Bubblegum is unrelated to the reason they break up. IIRC, in all the other routes except maybe Lilly's, Hisao's mistakes are the direct cause of the bad ends, so this is pretty unique.

Other than that, her path shares one minor flaw with Lilly's: their feud and that of their families are never resolved. It doesn't really matter to me, but for how much they stress those points in both routes, I was expecting something related to it would eventually happen.
But it does have nice moments, as I said. How their relationship gradually progresses, establishing an interesting parallel with how Hisao keeps getting better at sign language, for example. It's interesting how becoming able to communicate without needing Misha brings them closer and makes them understand each other better. And at the same time becomes troublesome for Misha, which as previously stated eventually changes the focus of the story.

As for Rin... I don't think I'll ever understand that route. It's an emotional rollercoaster, and you'll probably find yourself wondering what the hell you should do many times. And often, your choices will not make a difference. And sometimes you'll just think that it doesn't matter if you get the bad end, because it's still better than going through so much shit because of Rin. And perhaps you'll want Rin to suffer, or wish her a gruesome death. I don't know, I think I need more time to digest that path. The only thing I'm sure of is this: you'll find out that Rin's real problems are completely unrelated to her lack of arms.

Oh, and Rin's good end has probably the best last words in any scene. The last sentence she speaks to Hisao is simply beautiful.

Rin (some nice dialog scenes and a lot of confusing depth, but why not more of it?) and Hanako (the last picture is neat, compensates for a lot) were the most interesting paths ... I played Lilly last, because I always missed the 'entry' of this line and the game had been tiring. A lot stuff you do does not matter ... actually, Hisao is a wuss ... the character development is really really strange, but this may also have to do with the low amount of 'interaction'. That he is an idiot on some level, can be seen in the Rin story ...

I think you might have failed to grab something:
Bubblegum and dictatorgirl finish the school, while all others remain ... well ... depends on the story line ... somewhere earlier. This is the confusing aspect. I loved to see the Hanako story continue, or the Emi one ... but no ...
I am currently writing on this game ... have not written a longer non-review thing, so I will throw this stuff in my magazine.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:58 pm 

Oh, I grabbed it just fine. Shizune's arc just covers a longer period of time than the rest, and I'd say that's fine, even if I wouldn't mind some routes being longer. But the writers decided what each story needed, and they did a good job, so I won't complain. Besides, the period of time covered by the route is completely unrelated to why I didn't like it as much. ;)

As for Rin, the route has enough mindfuckery as it is, IMHO. But I'll admit I've come to appreciate it a bit more since I've had some time to think about it. Shizune's bad end still seems out of place, though, and the fact that the focus of her route changes from Hisao and Shizune to Shizune and Misha just like that bothers me ever so slightly.

But yeah, Hanako. Absolutely awesome route when played straight to the good end, and the stuff of nightmares when played to the bad end. As is Lilly's, at least for me, the way it's designed to make you think you got a bad end, and then you hear the music box... I really liked it. Also, I'd like to note that a wuss wouldn't put his life in danger performing a Mad Dash of Love through the airport. :P

Oh, and in Shizune's route there is only one relevant decision point, whereas in Lilly's there are up to three. So that depends on what you mean by "a lot of stuff you do does not matter": in absolute terms, you're right. But in relative terms you aren't because there are more relevant choices in Lilly's route.

On an unrelated note, yes, that Genshiken special was really bad. Excuse me while I go take my eyes out of their sockets with a spoon.

Last edited by Gelal on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:22 pm 

Gelal wrote:
TheOldOne wrote:

If you like ridiculously over the top anime with giant robots doing the impossible (ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH, etc) and awesome characters with balls of steel (even the women) shouting their lungs out (which as we all know is the secret to beating your opponents), then yes, it will be a blast. It certainly was for me, although initially I didn't think I would enjoy it, not being a big fan of mecha stuff. But damn, that was fun. Watch the movies too if you can, it's the same story, but some parts are extended and/or changed, making it even more awesome.

Gurren Lagann is my favorite mecha anime of all time, for these very reasons. There are a few similar shows, if you want more super-macho funtime mecha anime--particularly G Gundam, GaoGaiGar, and Giant Robo.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:15 am 

I still need to see Giant Robo, looking forward to it. I loved G Gundam and GGG myself. Lagann was great too.

Sunrise is so stupid, Lagann was huge (and still is) so now would've been the perfect time for them to do G Gundam 2... but it's never going to happen now with AGE, Unicorn, and the upcoming The Origin being worked on.

Watching HnK myself now and just got past the Jagi stuff. Rei is badass. I hear good things about Toki (looks like he's next!)

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm 

Just finished watching the second "Eden of the East" sequel movie that I somehow hadn't yet watched; sometimes I seem to forget what I have to watch. It was... rather weird and I didn't like how it ends. Not even the post-credits sequence could fix it, although it made some of my rage subside thanks to the comedic effect. Still, an underwhelming end to a decent series. It's even more disappointing because everything else was alright (it's a Production I.G. show after all; they tend to know what they're doing and do it well), just the last few minutes kind of ruin it for me.

Zelkiiro wrote:
There are a few similar shows, if you want more super-macho funtime mecha anime--particularly G Gundam, GaoGaiGar, and Giant Robo.

Duly noted. Can the Gundam one be watched on its own, or do I need to watch any previous installments of the franchise? That's one of the reasons I've never touched neither Gundam nor Macross, I don't even know where to start and watching everything of either series in chronological release order (which would be the logical option when one does not know where to start) seems like such a daunting task.

Last edited by Gelal on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:03 pm 

Yeah, G Gundam is stand alone, as are the other "Alternate Universe" entries (AU). That'd be Wing, X, Turn A, 00, SEED, etc. These are all their own thing.

I'd only recommend G, X, and Turn A out of that list though.

Macross you can also start anywhere with, but it's best to go with the original and then the movie Do You Remember Love. From there it's very hit or miss and you can jump around to any of them really. I'd recommend Plus after the original, it's pretty weird and darker for Macross. Zero I hated, didn't even feel sci-fi and it had out of place magic. And the other shows focus on the singing more than anything else.

When it comes to anime I personally usually go with the release date order approach. It works best for stuff like Votoms and whatnot.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 61  Next