Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm 

Hello to all the newcomers. The official greeter should be here shortly. I think. ;)

Manda Obsidian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:47 am 

Hey, I'm Manda. I own an extreme metal booking and promotions company based out of Colorado. Pretty much just into black, doom, thrash and some death metal, among other styles of music. Cheers.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 am 

Hey Manda, welcome to the forums... Have A Fishy Stick!-... GOD DAMMIT WRONG FORUM

Loathsome tidings, Manda. I bid ye a grim acknowledgement of your entry to this dreaded place. Here, take this ye olde deathly death skull of death, for your passage through the grim forest and into the initiation rite of much headbanging against many bloody stages.

As for wreath_of_coils... I ran out of deathly death skulls of death, so have a fishy stick.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:59 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Hey Manda, welcome to the forums... Have A Fishy Stick!-... GOD DAMMIT WRONG FORUM

I love you.

shinsetsu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:18 am 

Hello there, new here.
I used to almost exclusively listen to japanese composers, so mostly uncomplex classical stuff, OSTs and the like. A few months ago I got hooked on Black Metal. Though some might say there's a good amount of contrast in those genres, I personally think there are some similiarities as well; namely a hint of simplicity and focus on atmosphere and mood. I especially like Windir and Kvist.
I love painting (:

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:14 am 

I'm not new ..officially, but I haven't been on here since 2009 or so.

Anyways, yeah.

I'm 19, I live in Germany, am an American, I love heavy metal in almost every aspect but tend to stick to black metal and pagan/folk/viking. I like beer ..beer is good, beer and vodka ..it's fun to get hammered and listen to metal. I like bacon. I like sex. I don't sleep very well. Fuck is an awesome word. Boobs are awesome. I hate faggoty little hip-hop Jersey Shore kids. The end.

thrashyourskull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:13 pm 

Skipped checking in here, doing it now.
I'm Ian. I live in New York. I'm in a black metal band that isn't really a band because I'm the only person in it.
I am sometimes an insufferable asshole and, this being the internet and all, am pretty much prepared for people to return that favor ad nauseum. But sometimes I'm not.
Great to be here.

wreath_of_coils
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:07 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
As for wreath_of_coils... I ran out of deathly death skulls of death, so have a fishy stick.

You bastard!

Yrael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:46 pm 

Hi, there. I'm Yrael. Heard you cats were giving away fishy sticks and such, decided to see what all the fuss was about.

I listen to mainly melodic death and tech death, a little grind, some black... and LOTS of indie rock/post rock and shred.
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead"
-Agalloch

metal___
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:54 am 

I'm metal. I live on the East Coast. That is all.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 pm 

Hi Metal! Have fun in the archives!

Yrael wrote:
I listen to mainly melodic death and tech death, a little grind, some black... and LOTS of indie rock/post rock and shred.

You and I might get along, welcome aboard :)

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Yrael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:36 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi Metal! Have fun in the archives!

Yrael wrote:

You and I might get along, welcome aboard :)

You had me at Nevermore ;)
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead"
-Agalloch

LukeMorrow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:35 pm 

Whats up guys? Just signed up like 15 minutes ago.. still trying to figure this stuff out.

HWLights92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:02 am 

I guess now is as good a time as any to introduce myself to the community. I'm Dan, and I actually discovered this site on accident when I was looking up information on making patch jackets and vests online. Seems like this is a really nice community to be a part of though so here goes my "Who the fuck I am" speech. Feel free to skip to the end of it :D

I'm actually a 90's kid that was raised (read:poisoned) with pop as my main source of music with country as a supplement. Around 2005 or 2006 I started watching WWE again, something I hadn't done in years. Around that same time the album WWE Wreckless Intent came out and I decided to pick it up. Over all I don't think the album was that bad, but the moment on that disc that stood out to me was when the opening notes of "King of Kings" by Motorhead began to play. Keep in mind the only time I had ever really heard rock music or metal music up to this point was occasionally as a background track in a game or a movie. Anyway I loved what I heard and decided to pick up a cheap Motorhead compalation I had found at the local best buy. That music really spoke to me. Later that week I had a chance to talk to a few people that actually knew rock music and they pointed me towards Metallica. I'm more than willing to admit that the album that pushed me over as a fan of rock and metal was the black album.

I admit I listen to a lot of stuff rock wise that isn't metal or is borderline metal: I'm a KISS fan. I like Poison. I enjoy Rush and Pink Floyd. I listen to the Ramones and even lighter rockers like David Bowie or Elton John (those last two are very recent). I also have developed a taste for certain types of metal (really helps my girlfriend has been a metal head her whole life so she often gives me a little bit of guidance as well). As far as the metal I listen to goes, I listen to almost everything execpt for the extreme stuff like death metal and black metal (although the band Krieg is an exception to the black metal thing). I listen to thrash metal: I'm a metallica fan and a megadeth fan. I like Testament and Overkill. The most "interesting" thrash band I have had a chance to listen to though is a pirate metal band called Alestorm. If you haven't listened to them check em out. I also listen to a lot of heavy metal, under it's true definition: bands like Black Sabbath, Dio, and Iron Maiden. I like Speed metal like Motorhead and wouldn't mind exploring them more. I guess what I am saying is I listen to a little bit of everything metal wise (and non metal wise).

Out side of that I am a gamer, film addict, aspiring actor/writier/director. I work retail in a movie and music store. I enjoy eating and occasionally reading. I've also dabbled with art and photography in my spare time. My belief is I will try anything at least once.

But yeah, that's me in a nutshell.

-Dan

Xenonas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:30 am 

Oh hi, I'm new. Been listening to metuhl for nine years or so. Mostly into old-school thrash, heavy and death. Sometimes doom. I can stomach melodic death and melo-black. Not a big fan of raw-sounding black metal. After using M-A for 7 years decided it's a nice enough day to finally join the forums. English is not my native language and my line of thought is sorta random so please forgive any misspellings or grammar inconsistencies. Also, cocks.

Highway_Star32
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:48 pm 

Hey Metal people what's up! My name is Steven and I like the Metal. I first heard Metallica's Re-Load album 5 years ago, it wasn't metal but it was the first time I really listened to any type of rock music. I was instantly hooked on the album after the first song GIMMIE FUEL GIMMIE FIAH GIMMIE THAT WHICH I DESIRE. I then checked out other Metallica albums. I didin't like 80's Metallica and I had no idea what the Metal was but then 80's Metallica grew on me. I ended up getting all of Metallica's albums and I went around two years listening to nothing but Metallica, I then opened up to Megadeth and other thrash bands. Metalacolypse hooked me on to the Melodic Death Metal and that lead to the Death Metal. I know listen to the metal alot.

StrangerintheNight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:38 am 

Hi, Im from New Zealand. My favourite genres are Thrash, NWOBHM, US Power, Doom (mainly Brittish)

Feel Free to add me on Lastfm :)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 pm 

Welcome dudes! Highway, it's cool to actually see Metalacolypse get people into real metal, so hails to that!

Glad to see we got some classic heavy metal fans join the ranks too, and Stranger, I'm with you on British Doom.

Y'all enjoy yourselves now.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Svanhof
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:55 am 

Uhm, yeah, I am long time lurker here on MA, I just never really looked into this whole forum-business before now. Hopefully I'll get valuable contributions.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:33 am 

You will certainly get some valuable contributions, I discovered tons of new bands because of this forum. Just don't forget to add some contribution yourself. :thumbsup:

Svanhof
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:02 am 

Christ, I worded that wrong. What I meant was that I wanted to make valuable contributions. :P But yeah, I've already found tons of great and fun bands through here.

Ancient Mariner
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:32 pm 

Hey, what's up! Glad to be part of the community. Love 80's metal, especially. Favorite band is, and will always be, Iron Maiden (as if you couldn't tell by my username lol).

Pathogen4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:30 am 

Hey guys! I just recently found this site, and I thought I'd sign up. My favorite genres would probably have to be melodic-death and folk.

~Guest 287630
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:03 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 287630 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElDiabloBlanco
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 pm 

New to the site, old guy, been listening to metal for a long time. I saw Megadeth play in a roller skating rink when they were opening for someone else (Exciter) and all that means is that I'm fucking old. Favorite genres are thrash, NWoBHM, stoner metal, and some of the trippy heavy stuff like UFOmammut. Discovered Bolt Thrower a few months ago, unbelievable how good and brutally heavy they are, and I'm here to discover some death metal bands that I missed the first time around. And I need some more thrash.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm 

ElDiabloBlanco wrote:
New to the site, old guy, been listening to metal for a long time. I saw Megadeth play in a roller skating rink when they were opening for someone else (Exciter) and all that means is that I'm fucking old. Favorite genres are thrash, NWoBHM, stoner metal, and some of the trippy heavy stuff like UFOmammut. Discovered Bolt Thrower a few months ago, unbelievable how good and brutally heavy they are, and I'm here to discover some death metal bands that I missed the first time around. And I need some more thrash.

Hi there man! Interesting name, if you are looking for quality death metal, may I suggest Immolation?

Have a good time posting.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

ElDiabloBlanco
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:09 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
if you are looking for quality death metal, may I suggest Immolation?

Have a good time posting.

You may and I will give them a listen.

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:32 pm 

Hello folks.
I'm Paul (16) and I've been listening to metal for about nine years now. Especially in the last three years I started getting really into the depths of metal. I took my Metallica and Iron Maiden cd's aside and bought some stuff from Kreator and Dark Angel first, then some Demolition Hammer and Sadus. Some time later (I still don't remember exactly when), I discovered Death (and the extreme metal in general). Since then, my taste in music has grown and now I'm listening to almost everything that is metal (thrash, death, prog, black, heavy, power, grind,...). I spent many hours on youtube discovering new bands and looking them up in Encyclopedia Metallum (major thanks for this huge project!). But now I decided to stop lurking only.

bnjamman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:47 am 

Ben, 19, a metal noob.
from teh' north in england.
i like traditional heavy metal, thrash, power and some death metal.

With metal-archives and youtube, exploring and listening to different metal bands and genres is so much fun.

Mushbil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:03 pm 

Hey there!
Been looking to broaden my Metal tastes and found this site a few months ago. Worked beautifully so far. Been digging on Black Metal and Drone lately (Burzum, Emperor, Earth and The Angelic Process).

ThatOnceBeenGiven
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:30 pm 

Dont know why i never joined the board on this site. USA sucks for metal fans. Europeans enlighten me with your metal knowledge. Mostly everyone ive known in my life just laughs at my music, so i rarely share it or talk about it. I am a fanatical fan of all EARLY swedish etc melo death/brutal death, and also pretty much any black metal that isnt totally saturated in keyboards, as well as old thrash and a little power metal. I think im the only one in my state that listens to this stuff, i swear. Im 27 and Ive been collecting and listening to death metal and black metal, and all metal really since i was a young teenager. I Fucking love it one of my favorite things in life. Nothing like blasting some obscure demo that 99.99999% of people would never give a chance. Fuck America and their dubstep hip hop fagness. Sorry, had to get that out.

orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:27 am 

Hey guys. I'm orion parker, 29, USA. I have just realized that this site has forums so I figured I would sign up for some metal enlightenment. I like mainly black, ambient, folk/viking and death metal but I can be swayed on other fronts as well.

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 pm 

Hello,

I've been (compulsively) using the archives as a reference and for fun for many years now, and have been reading the forums with growing interest for the better part of the past year. Finally decided to break down and join. I believe the months of careful forum study has acquainted me with the ebb and flow of this place quite well, and will (hopefully) prevent me from acting like an asshole and getting banned. :)

Favorite genres are black metal and doom/sludge/stoner. Also partial to some old school death and thrash and a little bit of tech death. Recently been digging lots of funeral doom and drone as complements to my constant barrage of black metal. Some of my favorites include Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, Burzum, Bathory (mostly mid-era; I'm guilty of occasionally listening to "One Rode to Asa Bay" on repeat whilst simultaneously headbanging and weeping), The Ruins of Beverast, Wolves in the Throne Room, Agalloch, Behemoth, Watain, Dissection, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Acid Bath, Orange Goblin, Earth, Om, Ahab, Catacombs, Disembowelment, and many, many more.

I'm currently employed in construction and as a high school football coach though I'm educated in history and literature. We've got to do what we've got to do in shitty times. :)

I look forward to finally using the forums.

Thanks.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:33 am 

Welcome and enjoy. Hope to see you in the forums gettin' in amongst it eh?

My collection

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 pm 

History? cool :) Good taste as well, very similar to mine. Welcome and enjoy the Archives!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:21 pm 

Yup, history. Mostly European history with a concentration on classical antiquity, but a lot of American history, too. Within classical antiquity I found myself focused mostly on Rome's relationship with their early neighbors and foes in the Mediterranean, particularly Republican-era Roman military organization and procedure. Also studied lots of historical theory and historiography. That knowledge comes in really handy during my day-to-day life. :)

Seriously though, I do love history and learning in general. However, I do at times get a little bitter (on particularly bad days/during particularly bad interactions with people). I was a little unlucky to have entered college when things were still quite prosperous (economically/professionally) c. 2004 and to have graduated right when shit hit the fan (2008). When I graduated from high school, the longstanding consensus in the area I live (New England) was "do well, attend a small/elite university, get a good job." As we all know, that's not reality anymore. Had I known we were headed for imminent disaster I might've concentrated on a more straightforward path as far as my future occupation/career was concerned. Oh well. Shit happens. I think a lot about graduate school, but I've sort of developed a deeply-rooted distrust of the education system. A couple more years (months? days?) as a manual laborer and I'm sure I will be over it. :)

Are you currently studying history or have you studied it in the past?

Thanks for the welcome!
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:58 pm 

Yeah, it's written in my profile, I'm at my 4th semester of history (currently on strike against the rise of the fees here in Québec) but I'm switching to Teaching of social sciences in high school for the next semester. Will be cool. I want a job hahaha

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

DarkAvenger77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:53 pm 

Why hello my fellow metal heads and drug addicts, I signed up in January but did not start posting until recently, whats up guys?

-DA777

sanitys rage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm 

drug addicts and metal heads...sounds like home to me.

Just dropped in to say hi to everyone.

My band has been up in the archives since our first release in 2006 and we are about to release our next album in august.
Also, since the guys who took care of social networking have left us, I thought it was about time to make an account in name of the band myself and share & update stuff as we go on.
This site and forum have helped us reach people we would have never have been able to reach on our own, people who have actively been updating and reviewing our progress along the years.
We are very grateful for that!
Expect to hear more from me/us soon.

Cheers,
Sanity's Rage

Nocturnal Marauder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:44 pm 

Greetings from a longtime lurker. I recently registered but haven't yet posted as nothing has really caught my eye. Oh well; I'll be around.

Thanks to HellBlazer for helping my account finally get through.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 156  Next