Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:00 am 

NASA just announced that the WISE telescope would be reactivated for another 3-year mission detecting near-earth asteroids and comets, supposedly due in part to the recent explosion in Russia. The last 3-year mission found some pretty cool stuff so here's hoping it tracks down some more neat objects.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:59 am 

An outside observer never observes an object passing the event horizon, and in turn the object itself, given it be an observer, would see the universe speeding up around it to infinite speed before passing the event horizon. Now given that black holes evaporate and lose mass over time like Hawking predicted, shouldn't the black hole evaporate out of existence before anything can pass its event horizon (assuming that cosmic microwave background radiation at some point in the history of the universe will become less intense than the radiation of the black hole)? You'd think all the mass a black hole "swallows" during its existence as a black hole should be accumulated as a thin layer just outside its event horizon. Does that make sense?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:17 am 

Since the matter within the whole still exists once 'absorbed'; and the gravitational pull is so strong not even light escapes, can the hole escape itself? ..Or does it continually pull through with eternal regards?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:07 am 

Can you escape yourself?

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:12 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Can you escape yourself?

The thought has crossed my mind from time to time.. Mostly when I am among radiation treatments and undergo months of illness and fighting cancer..
As for the hole, I can understand what I have learned over the years. I just feel that there is a lot of flaw to a few things, so I never see the harm in asking what others think. Professional or not..
p.s- if you really want to size up for a hard answer,
only You can save Yourself..
So yes, you can escape yourself.
Especially since no one saves you.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:58 pm 

Me and my dad drove up to Vandenburg air force base in Santa Barbara this morning to catch the launch of SpaceX's Falcon 9. We were about 2-3 miles from the launch pad in a straight line. Even at that distance, the sound was immense; it was awesomely massive and powerful, and it really provided a sense of just how much air was being moved and shaken such that the sound and vibrations being felt throughout your body could be as intense as they were from such a distance. The sound was comfortably loud. Weather was clear and the view was astounding. We were able to see it a few seconds after lift-off (there was a very small hill between us and the launchpad, no more than a couple hundred feet higher than where we were standing), and the sound followed shortly after. The flame from the rockets was beautifully bright and yellow. It wasn't so bright that you had to (or would want to) look away, but it definitely had that "shimmer" to it that overly bright lights or the sun have to them.

It was fucking dope.

My dad's PC will be out of commission for a bit, but as soon as I get the video we took uploaded, I'll be happy to share it here.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:56 pm 

According to the wiki, what you saw was a re-designed Falcon 9 that's even larger than the standard design. No wonder it shook the earth :)

Yeah, if you've got photos or vids of it, I'd love to see them.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:59 pm 

Is anyone else looking forward to the launch of the James Webb space telescope?

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:34 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
Is anyone else looking forward to the launch of the James Webb space telescope?

Yes, although the project has been delayed and is now over budget by a good amount. Also, it doesn't launch until 2018 -- hard to get excited about something that far into the future. I can barely see 6 months into the future with my crazy life.

I'm more excited about TESS. I really want the discovery of the first confirmed earth-like planet orbiting another star.

Virgin Galactic plans to launch its first space tourist flights next year. At $250k a pop, it'll be a rich guy curiosity for now. What if the price came down drastically -- would anyone here consider a space flight? Also, it's interesting that Branson thinks the future profit for this venture might be cutting down international travel times. He's talking 4 hours from London to Sidney.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:34 am 

Not the video I shot, but it's at least as good. :P

soul_schizm wrote:
Virgin Galactic plans to launch its first space tourist flights next year. At $250k a pop, it'll be a rich guy curiosity for now. What if the price came down drastically -- would anyone here consider a space flight?

Honestly, if I could choose only one final thing to do in my life, it would be this. I'd give anything to go to space.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:52 pm 

With the US government shutting down, the Mars probe MAVEN, scheduled to be launched in November, might need to be delayed 2 years. If it's not launched by mid-December at the absolute latest, it will be 26 more months before Mars and Earth are properly aligned. Plus, the solar cycle will not be as active then, so it won't be as interesting scientifically. And the launch is only possible if NASA employees can return to work a few weeks before launch to finish preparations.

NASA has been working on this mission for ten years. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:17 am 

The newly discovered Kepler78b resembles the earth in many aspects. Though, scientists say that there may not be life on the planet. Read more here:
http://science.time.com/2013/10/30/mirr ... tary-twin/

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:32 am 

First malware in space.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 am 

http://www.zooniverse.org/

Anyone else do anything on Zooniverse? I'm currently having a go at the Milky Way Project bit, looking for 'Bubbles' on infrared images from the Spitzer space telescope. I really like the idea of getting the public to sift through this data because it is pretty cool, but with my current status I would really like to get paid for doing this... I haven't found any galaxies yet, but as the website points out they could be as yet undiscovered galaxies because they would usually be obscured by dust, but infrared can see through dust pretty well. For me, the idea of being the first person to view a whole galaxy is a pretty awesome thing.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:01 am 

I've done a ton of stuff on GalaxyZoo, I haven't done it as much recently, but looking at my profile I have ~3000 galaxies classified on there.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:35 am 

Comet ISON has been in the news for sometime. Sadly, it's fading away after it passed the Sun in its perihelion path. Scientists say that the so called 'comet of the century' won't be lighting up our skies this month. NASA has put out a video of its close encounter with the Sun.

Source

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:32 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
kingnuuuur wrote:
I'm assuming that the thing you're referring to is a black hole of sorts. I could very well be wrong though.

got me thinking

If black holes can be this size, maybe we`re inside one?

Black holes containing Universes which have black holes containing universes..

maybe not so absurdly big after all? :)

Just discovered this article :o :-P
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/326086

Quote:
“The idea that our universe is entirely contained within a black hole provides answers to these problems and many more,” wrote Poplawski. “It eliminates the notion of physically impossible singularities in our universe. And it draws upon two central theories in physics.”

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 am 

Comet Lovejoy!
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140220.html

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:40 am 

I'm thinking there's only 1 universe.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:34 am 

I do enjoy reading about astronomy, but it is such a huge topic that it is hard to know where to start
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:52 pm 

Holy shit, NASA announced today the discovery of 715 new planets outside our solar system, based on observation by the Kepler space telescope. That's a huge boost to number of known exoplanets - now more than 1,700. Of those new planets, nearly 95% are smaller than Neptune, 106 are roughly Earth-sized, and 4 of them are in their star's habitable zone. Very exciting news. To put this announcement in perspective:

And that's only the beginning! These discoveries were made by analyzing the first two years of data from Kepler, but there are still two more years worth of data to go through.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:59 pm 

I was reading about that earlier today. So neat, especially the finds in the habitable zones!

Exoplanets make my imagination spin. Though it's highly unlikely we'll ever visit one in my lifetime I secretly hope that one day some scientist will pop up and say 'Oh hey guys, so I just invented a working warp drive'.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:56 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Holy shit, NASA announced today the discovery of 715 new planets outside our solar system, based on observation by the Kepler space telescope. That's a huge boost to number of known exoplanets - now more than 1,700. Of those new planets, nearly 95% are smaller than Neptune, 106 are roughly Earth-sized, and 4 of them are in their star's habitable zone. Very exciting news. To put this announcement in perspective:

And that's only the beginning! These discoveries were made by analyzing the first two years of data from Kepler, but there are still two more years worth of data to go through.

This is fucking amazing. So many in the habitable zone too
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:57 am 

Anyone else manage to see the Northern Lights yesterday eve? here in the UK it was seen pretty much from anywhere, if you knew where/when to look, but didn't see anything myself despite pictures coming out locally of Aurora sightings within the Peak District. Places as far south as London got a brief glimpse as the geomagnetic storm swept past but as usual it was Scotland which got the best display.

MidnightDistortions
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:21 pm 

Man i love space! I doubt i'll ever be able to fly through space in my lifetime though i dream that one day it'll be possible. Until then i'll stay jealous at the fictional characters in shows/movies like Star Trek being able to live out in space, listen to space oriented black metal and looking up at the stars hoping that one day i'll be out in it!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 pm 

If any of those habitable planets have thresher maws, then space can go fuck itself. :grr:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 pm 

What about thrasher mas?

Spoiler: show

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:06 pm 

This is pretty cool - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/future/bes ... index.html

Just scroll down.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:55 pm 

New details of the extremely early universe have been observed in the CMB:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26605974

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:09 pm 

^ This is a totally trippy story. "The oldest light in the universe" is a most metal phrase.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:07 am 

<bump>

I thought this was interesting enough to share - "Hubble telescope unveils most colorful view of the universe yet"

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... f3180974=1

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:59 am 

shouvince wrote:
<bump>

I thought this was interesting enough to share - "Hubble telescope unveils most colorful view of the universe yet"

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... f3180974=1

Really makes you wonder when we'll discover new life out there. I wish I could live long enough to be able to see when we eventually travel all the way out there, but that's obviously not going to be for hundreds of years.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:59 pm 

We'll probably detect alien life within a hundred years.

In fact, we have found some candidates already.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/ancient ... pport-life

This planet is 11.5 billion years old. Imagine what life might look like if it had so much time to evolve. It orbits a red dwarf at just the right distance for liquid water to exist and it is a Super-Earth so it is possible it might have a powerful magnetic field. It would need that field to protect itself from the stronger stellar wind.

This system is also only 13 lightyears away. We could visit it in some form within 200 years.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/new-typ ... discovered
http://www.iflscience.com/space/new-god ... vier-earth
I expected planets like this to occur. There is no black and white in space, there will always be worlds that defy categorization. A gas dwarf and a rock giant.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:03 pm 

I kinda dug this article. Bleak as it seems...

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 pm 

On one hand, I have this impression we're too young to understand. On the other, the twentieth century seems to have given us some bizarre fears.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:13 pm 

Dr. Pierre-Marie Robitaille: Sun on Trial | EU2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TOKo7Ik9f8

He has some things to say on how we view the sun and on whether the sun is merely made of gas or not; something he disputes. He is not a physicist and therefore his theory is generally rejected by the established community. Should he be correct and it seems that things point into this direction, then a good amount of results from Nasa would have to be corrected and also the modell of your universe would need to be partially rewritten.

An article in German can be found here

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:26 am 

Based on a quick Google search, he seems to deny not only the gaseous/plasma phase of the Sun, but also man-made climate change AND the cosmic microwave background. Seems like a credible fellow, especially considering he's a medical professional.

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:57 am 

Space? Space sucks unless its Cthulhu or some shit getting blown up. Or this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeforce_(film). I hate religion too.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:41 am 

the latest images regarding the Rosetta mission can be found here:
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Missions/Rosetta
Pretty cool stuff.

My podcast:

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:29 pm 

Sea plankton have been found on the International Space Station
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/aug/21/sea-plankton-have-been-found-on-the-international-space-station-but-how-did-they-get-there
Quote:
This, the agency writes, confirms “that some organisms can live on the surface of the International Space Station (ISS) for years amid factors of a space flight, such as zero gravity, temperature conditions and hard cosmic radiation. Several surveys proved that these organisms can even develop.”

Crazy stuff. Amazing to see where such stuff can survive.

My podcast:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next