Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SteelCranium
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:16 am 

Perhaps one of the best movies ever! What do you think?

Hymy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:28 am 

Ok movie. Kind of slow in the middle. You should bring this up in the film thread instead.

Who love metal.

We are rare and we are mostly men.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:30 am 

Loved the movie, never read the book though. Stanley Kubrick is one of my favorite directors.

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:10 am 

I actually saw it for the first time last week. Very good film. The scene where he dances and sings while he beats up the those 2 people is the only violent scene I've ever laughed of, that was the weirdest thing ever. :lol:

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:17 am 

My favourite movie of all time and Malcom McDowell's Alex (or was it Alec?) :scratch: is my favourite movie character of all time as well.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:22 am 

It's a very interesting film. I find the bizarre, almost whimsical visuals and Alex's jovial attitude make the violence seem that much more psychotic and disturbing.

Plus what other movie has a giant model of a penis used as a murder weapon?

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:23 am 

'Tis music like old Ludwig Van to my glassies.

DevilsWhorehouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:35 am 

saintinhell wrote:
My favourite movie of all time and Malcom McDowell's Alex (or was it Alec?) :scratch: is my favourite movie character of all time as well.

'Tis a tad strange you are uncertain of your favorite movie character's name (it's Alex btw).

The book is also amazing. It's a bit tough to read at first due to the manufactured language in the form of first-person narration, but you soon get the hang of it (having seen the movie 100 times certainly doesn't hurt).

It also takes the narrative in a slightly direction towards the end...

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:17 am 

DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
saintinhell wrote:

'Tis a tad strange you are uncertain of your favorite movie character's name (it's Alex btw).

I know, I know. :uh oh: So it is indeed Alex, as I found out from other posts before this. :P

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:20 am 

I agree with OP. One of the best movies ever made and other Kubrick's works aren't far behind (Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, 2001: A Space Odyssey).

DevilsWhorehouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:28 am 

nasum wrote:
I agree with OP. One of the best movies ever made and other Kubrick's works aren't far behind (Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, 2001: A Space Odyssey).

Have you seen The Killing?

Without doubt one of the true classics of the gangster/heist genre.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:30 am 

How did Malcolm McDowell go from this to the new Halloween? Baffling.

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:36 am 

DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
nasum wrote:

No, I haven't. I've watched all movies directed by Kubrick that are listed on his wikipedia page except the movies he made in 50's and Barry Lyndon. Well, probably I'm gonna watch those too, as I pretty much really like all movies he directed, except maybe Eyes Wide Shut.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:

He was in Tank Girl. The new Halloween is hardly the lowest he's gone.

DevilsWhorehouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:41 am 

nasum wrote:
DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
nasum wrote:

No, I haven't. I've watched all movies directed by Kubrick that are listed on his wikipedia page except the movies he made in 50's and Barry Lyndon. Well, probably I'm gonna watch those too, as I pretty much really like all movies he directed, except maybe Eyes Wide Shut.

You should definitely check out The Killing. Really fast-paced and is clearly a major influence of Tarantino films like Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown, both in terms of style and content. It's also the primary source of my man-love for Sterling Hayden...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:42 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

True, the Nostalgia Critic may have proved that, but still, the question remains.

As for this movie I didn't really enjoy it that much, but the talent behind it was undoubtedly great.

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:55 am 

DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
nasum wrote:
DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
nasum wrote:

You should definitely check out The Killing. Really fast-paced and is clearly a major influence of Tarantino films like Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown, both in terms of style and content. It's also the primary source of my man-love for Sterling Hayden...

Hmm, that movie is then bound to be good, I don't like Tarantino so much, but I really liked Reservoir Dogs. Can't remember if I've watched Jackie Brown, I think I did... :lol:

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:49 am 

I didn't like the movie all that much, but the book was alright.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:08 am 

nasum wrote:

Kubrick is one of those rare directors that just about everyone can agree on, at east those with enough cinematic knowledge to understand why his films are so brilliant.

Funnily enough, it was only last year that I actually finished FMJ, before that I'd never made it past the military training act and because of this I felt kind of luke warm about the film, but once I made t to the end i really understood why it was so loved.

The ending has to be some of my favorite cinematography ever, in fact it's what I remember most about the film.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:52 pm 

Meh, Eyes Wide Shut wasn't that great nor was the latter half of Full Metal Jacket.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:33 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

True, the Nostalgia Critic may have proved that, but still, the question remains.

As for this movie I didn't really enjoy it that much, but the talent behind it was undoubtedly great.

Are you really supposed to enjoy A Clockwork Orange?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Not in the sense that you enjoy movies like Avatar or 2012, but in the sense that you just witnessed a great filmmaking concoction. I should rather say that the movie did nothing for me, even though I recognize its importance.

I don't know, I haven't even seen the fucking thing in like 4 years.

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Not in the sense that you enjoy movies like Avatar or 2012, but in the sense that you just witnessed a great filmmaking concoction. I should rather say that the movie did nothing for me, even though I recognize its importance.

I don't know, I haven't even seen the fucking thing in like 4 years.

I surely did enjoy it. I like when movies are 'philosophical' and you have to think what's some scene about. :D

Particulary I think that A Clockwork Orange is about good, evil and justice. The whole movie is questioning is a man good if he is forced to be like that, with no free will to choose between good and evil. Alex was free at the beginning of movie, but he used his freedom to do atrocities, while after he was cured he didn't have any other possibility but to do good, like he was still imprisoned. His basic human right was taken off, right to choose. I like how movie ends, Alex seeing tits as reaction to Beethoven playing, as opossed to immense pain he was feeling when he was conditioned. He gets his freedom back to do whatever he wants which is the right of every man.

Man, that movie is complex, a deep study could be written about it's morality, characters, language (I couldn't understand a lot of words as I was watching without Croatian titles, later understood it was because of those Russian influences :lol: ), violence etc. Surely one of the best movies ever made.

Also A Clockwork Orange was banned in UK for a long time, I think until Kubrick's death because it was deemed to be too violent. And nowadays we laugh when Alex beats that woman to death with that dildo-like sculpture. :lol:
Really shows how our society 'progressed'.

mehoff_of_jackness
Nationalist Juggalo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:29 pm 

I liked it, one of the most unique movies I've seen. Wish it had more violence.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:08 pm 

Great movie. I try to recommend it to as many people as possible.. just because it's one of those movies that every one just needs to see. Along with Requiem for a Dream.

Anti_Paradise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:43 pm 

Love both the movie and the book. Kubrick is a genius.

----------------
Now playing: Yyrkoon - Doctor X
via FoxyTunes

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:12 am 

I kind of hated Full Metal Jacket. I just didn't 'get it'.

It just seemed rather pointless? Like very weak overall. Like the entire bit about surfing while the bombs were going off kind of made me question what the movie was actually about, and I still don't really know.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:25 am 

PeachPit wrote:

It just seemed rather pointless? Like very weak overall. Like the entire bit about surfing while the bombs were going off kind of made me question what the movie was actually about, and I still don't really know.

I really loved FMJ as just one of those movies that made me appreciate cinema. The directing was fantastic, I loved the choice of songs, I liked the characters and the writing behind them, and I didn't even mind the whole second part that a lot of people seem to hate for whatever reason. It was a movie about war; that's all I had to get about it to enjoy it. Stylish, classy filmmaking all the way.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:25 am 

Empyreal wrote:

I guess you haven't seen Cat People, then.

Like a lot of other Kubrick movies, I like A Clockwork Orange but I feel like it tries to do too much. Not that it's too high-concept but rather that the different acts of the movie are so dissimilar that they hardly feel like it's really a singular experience.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

DevilsWhorehouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:29 am 

PeachPit wrote:

Someone has confused Full Metal Jacket with Apocalypse Now...

Voice_of_Reason
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:40 am 

I think A Clockwork Orange is a bad movie, though the book is worse.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:06 am 

DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
PeachPit wrote:

And, with that in mind, I think you're supposed to find Apocalypse Now weird. It's meant to lul you into this sort of dreamlike state as they progress further down the river, and further into madness, into the heart of darkness.

Voice_of_Reason
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:21 am 

DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
PeachPit wrote:

And, with that in mind, I think you're supposed to find Apocalypse Now weird. It's meant to lul you into this sort of dreamlike state as they progress further down the river, and further into madness, into the heart of darkness.

Of course, and I just can't believe that there are still people who don't understand this. I mean, maybe it was pretty mindblowing back in the day, but this technique has since been used again and again. Everyone should be picking up on this by now!!

DevilsWhorehouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:28 am 

DevilsWhorehouse wrote:
PeachPit wrote:

Correct.

It also has a lot more to do with The Odyssey, than say a movie like Platoon.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:32 am 

Thought it was a very good movie. I want to read the book as well though.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:36 am 

Just bought the book yesterday. I'm going to start reading it.....right now!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:21 pm 

there is a movie thread,
but yeah this movie's great. been a fan for years. i love the soundtrack (wasn't it Wendy Carlos?), and the strange, futuristic atmosphere created throughout the film. The gang melee in the old ampitheatre setting or whatever is great. also, the dialogue is of course a highlight. apparently it's even better/more prominent in the book. Kubrick is a genius.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
there is a movie thread,
but yeah this movie's great. been a fan for years. i love the soundtrack (wasn't it Wendy Carlos?), and the strange, futuristic atmosphere created throughout the film. The gang melee in the old ampitheatre setting or whatever is great. also, the dialogue is of course a highlight. apparently it's even better/more prominent in the book. Kubrick is a genius.

NOthing wrong with devoting a thread to discussion of a particular book, movie or whatever, I think. It's hard to keep real discussions going in threads where people butt in with talk about all sorts of unrelated things.

Wendy/Walter Carlos did do the soundtrack. I love those old synths. The book though is great and I don't think Kubrik necessarily improved upon it. That said, its' great to see it translated into a film that covers pretty much all the themes brought up in the book, although the title of the story itself will probably only make sense if you've read Burgess's novel.

I find this tale very moving and powerful. I love how we're made to both identify with and sympathise with Alex and hate him at the same time because of all the violent acts he commits and his flagrant abuse of his parents. But then, said parents are pretty useless and don't know the first thing about good parenting, anyway. The scene where Alex returns to his home only to be chewed out and condemned by Joe the Lodger are almost unbelievably surreal and tragic.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
there is a movie thread,

NOthing wrong with devoting a thread to discussion of a particular book, movie or whatever, I think. It's hard to keep real discussions going in threads where people butt in with talk about all sorts of unrelated things.

Wendy/Walter Carlos did do the soundtrack. I love those old synths. The book though is great and I don't think Kubrik necessarily improved upon it. That said, its' great to see it translated into a film that covers pretty much all the themes brought up in the book, although the title of the story itself will probably only make sense if you've read Burgess's novel.

I find this tale very moving and powerful. I love how we're made to both identify with and sympathise with Alex and hate him at the same time because of all the violent acts he commits and his flagrant abuse of his parents. But then, said parents are pretty useless and don't know the first thing about good parenting, anyway. The scene where Alex returns to his home only to be chewed out and condemned by Joe the Lodger are almost unbelievably surreal and tragic.

yeah, wasn't really too serious about that first comment. this is an important piece of literature/cinema, and a classic.

Roger/Wendy hahaha! i didn't know that about this artist (the he had a sex-change) until like the start of this year! Pretty surprising, but meh. She is great. i really think her music works excellently with the atmosphere of the film. i did have the soundtrack a couple years ago, but don't have it anymore.i still have "Switched-On Bach" by her, which is very unique.

Yeah, you totally empathise with Alex in the film, and i always found said scene very emotive. pretty hard-hitting stuff.

The weird mish-mash of futuristic/60s retro set-pieces and design in the film is also very unusual and intriguing. the milk bar etc, great design, whoever done that. Of course, the cinematography is beautiful, but that's not out of the ordinary from the always impressive Kubrick. i am feeling inspired to re-watched the film, but i've seen it far too many times as it is.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.