Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:36 am 

I don't think I've ever encountered another metalhead who owns a horse(s). No one I know personally has them and I usually get teased for it, even though I think horsemanship skills are a pretty legit attribute, haha.

At the most I've encountered a couple other females online who had horses and listened to a couple of metal bands, but never any males, and not anyone in person.

So, anyone 'round these parts own or has thought of endeavoring in the ownership of a horse?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:44 am 

When between now and the middle ages did horses go from being something men would kill each other over to something relegated to "girly stuff"? A shame indeed.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:03 am 

I own the most metal mini-horse this side of the Mississippi. I will add a picture soon. Horses are metal, for sure.

Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:55 pm 

I've never owned a mini-horse or anything smaller than 14.2 hh, really. I'm not a fan of ponies, but minis always seemed more pleasant.

My family and I have always owned Quarter Horses, and I still have an older, retired Quarter Horse I used to ride, but I currently have/ride a big, bay Thoroughbred.

Here's some pictures:

I like to take pictures of where we adventure off to.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:47 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
When between now and the middle ages did horses go from being something men would kill each other over to something relegated to "girly stuff"? A shame indeed.

Yeah I'd like to know that too, especially since I've never heard of horses being girly.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:59 pm 

Well horses are a bit girly. This picture proves it.

Voice_of_Reason
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:45 pm 

Bezerko wrote:

When Harleys were invented.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:48 pm 

It was definitely during the 20th century where the use of cavalry as an effective weapon of war dwindled in favor of artillery, machine guns, and armored tanks - basically WW1. WW2 saw very little of their use, especially with the much developed tactics on large and small scales. Thus, they fell to the upper classes, which saw them as objects of wealth and status in life and have pretty much been that way ever since.

You don't see rappers talking about them, and metalheads only refer to them in the classical sense (classical being pre-20th century). I could be dead wrong, though, so that's just me (maybe).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:01 pm 

Image[/quote]

That's a beautiful horse you have there!

Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:58 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
It was definitely during the 20th century where the use of cavalry as an effective weapon of war dwindled in favor of artillery, machine guns, and armored tanks - basically WW1. WW2 saw very little of their use, especially with the much developed tactics on large and small scales. Thus, they fell to the upper classes, which saw them as objects of wealth and status in life and have pretty much been that way ever since.

You don't see rappers talking about them, and metalheads only refer to them in the classical sense (classical being pre-20th century). I could be dead wrong, though, so that's just me (maybe).

I agree, I just usually find that most metalheads just think horses are big, dumb, stinky animals such as cattle. When, especially if you're into the whole "charging into battle" type of lyrical content in metal, I would think that some would find them pretty bad ass. But, it's also the fact that, not everyone has the opportunity to own or ride horses very often due to finance or location.

But, generally, riding horses can be amazing if you've got one to ride, enough skill/balls to stay on, and a good area to ride in. I love riding through the river and randomly falling into deep spots.

Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:00 pm 

NikeOfSamothrace wrote:

That's a beautiful horse you have there![/quote]

Thanks!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:17 pm 

Perkonkalve wrote:
I agree, I just usually find that most metalheads just think horses are big, dumb, stinky animals such as cattle.

So you've taken a poll, then? Seriously...how often are you talking to metalheads about the merits of horses in order to even formulate such a blanket statement?

Thing is, horses are girly. Not that they're feminine or anything by nature, but show me a girl who didn't go through a strange fascination with horses at some point in her childhood (in many cases this never goes away). Just think about the popularity of My Little Pony, for instance. It's not that guys are offended by them or anything like that, but rather that we simply didn't go through that "horses are so cool!" phase that girls often do.

Also, horses are completely impractical for at least 80% of the population. They're expensive to buy and expensive in both time and money to maintain. For such a huge investment, you'd better be really into horses.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:19 pm 

I'd totally own a horse if I didn't live in the middle of Suburbia.

Hell, I'd make it a goal to purchase some sort of custom-made armor for it too, probably including gratuitous amounts of spikes and chains. :x

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:08 pm 

The ex-girlfriend of a friend (listens to more trad/power metal) of mine owns a horse and someone I know from university has two, when I remember it correctly, but she listens to punk and alternative stuff; so this would not count.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:12 pm 

I always dreamt of owning a horse, but sadly I couldn't maintain one in this hellhole city that I live, don't have any free space or anything, so it's out of question now thinking about horses again.

Anyway, I've always like riding horses when I had the opportunity.They are strong and noble animals.The feeling of freedom that I get when riding horses, be it at tranquil hills, in the middle of the forests, or the top of the mountains, is unmatched.

I don't think that horses per se are girly, the fact the little girls show unnusual fascination for them don't subtract the natural value of those animals.

Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Perkonkalve wrote:
I agree, I just usually find that most metalheads just think horses are big, dumb, stinky animals such as cattle.

So you've taken a poll, then? Seriously...how often are you talking to metalheads about the merits of horses in order to even formulate such a blanket statement?

Thing is, horses are girly. Not that they're feminine or anything by nature, but show me a girl who didn't go through a strange fascination with horses at some point in her childhood (in many cases this never goes away). Just think about the popularity of My Little Pony, for instance. It's not that guys are offended by them or anything like that, but rather that we simply didn't go through that "horses are so cool!" phase that girls often do.

Also, horses are completely impractical for at least 80% of the population. They're expensive to buy and expensive in both time and money to maintain. For such a huge investment, you'd better be really into horses.

I said "I usually find" that to be the case because most metalheads I speak to at some point in time I mention I own horses because we usually discuss topics beyond metal and that's the reaction I've found most often. But of course with the statement "I usually find" it IS a subjective statement and only has personal encounters in regard. That's why I asked others about their opinion, because regardless of the personal dislike of horses I've found between the people I know, that can't be the entirety.

I think media has had a big part in making the horse so appealing to girls instead of boys. There may be a natural fascination between girls and horses rather than boys, but like you said, look at My Little Pony. Total unrealistic girly crap. But, I always hated that as a child, because my love of horses came from being around actual horses my entire life, as I was so fortunate.

Some people are willing to make that kind of sacrifice. There's plenty of other 'impractical' investments that cost even more that oodles of people get involved with.

FugitHora
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:28 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
...show me a girl who didn't go through a strange fascination with horses at some point in her childhood (in many cases this never goes away).

Myself, for one. I did not favor horses over any other creatures/activities/playthings growing up. I didn't grow up up in the city either, but in the semi-country, so there were a lot of horses around. They just never seemed any more super sparkly than anything else my girlhood self encountered. I never did any real riding until I was an adult.

Also, lovely pictures Perkonkalve. I particularly enjoy the last one, the landscape with ears :)

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:45 am 

rexxz wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Yeah I'd like to know that too, especially since I've never heard of horses being girly.

Perhaps it's just my exposure to the Modern Australian Douche then.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:51 am 

I own what... 10 horses... I think. Well, not really me personally, but mother/sister. I fucking hate horses, shittiest animals on the planet, but either way I live on a race horse training thing.

And horses went girly when they lost all forms of practical use and basically became a gaint maine for little girls to plait.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:09 am 

Horses are fucking metal! Not that I own any, but imagine wearing battlegear and riding to an Amon Amarth concert. I'd name it Sleipner.

Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:10 pm 

Haha. I've always wanted to make my own saddle and bridle, put my own carvings into them. And, my horse's name is Jotun, because he's a big son of a bitch. His shoulder is t the top of the window of my truck, which isn't a tiny truck. :P

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:54 pm 

fetalfeast wrote:
I own the most metal mini-horse this side of the Mississippi. I will add a picture soon. Horses are metal, for sure.

Here he is. Meet Wrest, the metal mini horse. (Yes, I named him after THAT Wrest)

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:13 pm 

That is a fucking badass horse dude. Love the name.

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:19 pm 

Actually someone I know who plays in black/folk metal band owns a couple horses. I was talking to someone yesterday and they mentioned that the drummer owned horses, I immediately thought of this thread haha.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:23 pm 

MetalHearted wrote:
That is a fucking badass horse dude. Love the name.

Haha I named him that because he never comes up to me unless I have "The Remotest Cipher" playing.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:48 pm 

every horse needs a theme to ride to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQ-PsxfMzw

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:42 pm 

Bezerko wrote:

Odin frowns upon horse ridiculing. If only eight-legged horses like Sleipnir were real.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:59 pm 

What happened to his 8th leg?

snakehead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:13 am 

Bezerko wrote:

Good fucking point.

Living in an urban area, there is no way for me to own a horse, nor do I have the time. However, I do like to go horse riding when I get the chance, it's awesome.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:49 am 

Expedience wrote:

Count the hooves, man.

im_a_jackass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 am 

ahh shit LOL imma thinking "My little war pony" some death grunting/rasp/demon voiced armor clad pony with makeup and perfume and a fixin` for killin`

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:47 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Expedience wrote:

Count the hooves, man.

Ahhh.. I missed the one on top of the front right leg.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:52 am 

Not really related and not even metal but this thread made me think about this especially after Ozzy's post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmFmxz9SfXI

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:37 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Odin frowns upon horse ridiculing. If only eight-legged horses like Sleipnir were real.

Yeah, but that requires some really fucked-up divine gender-bending and bestiality. I mean, it's still pretty hard to believe Loki not only turned himself into a mare, but also FUCKED A HORSE AND HAD ITS BABY! Those vikings had some pretty wild imaginations, even by today's standards.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:06 pm 

Vikings? Nothing compares to the ancient Egyptians. The Egyptian Ennead creation myth holds that air and moisture were created by Ra masturbating, the deities Geb and Nut have eternal sex unless separated by air, and one of the Egyptian creation myths states that the Nile is the result of two homosexual gods having gay sex and disposing of the semen by throwing it down on the ground.

Okay, so maybe not as imaginative as the Norse, but certainly the most perverse.

demisetheflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:08 pm 

We put my horse down last month, he was a paint. But back to the question, my metalhead neighbors own a bunch of horses, the man has a much higher level of love for them, his wife on the other hand, much rather have a Harley.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.