Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
im_a_jackass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:42 am 

this is proly the wrong area but i dont care for im too lazy! any way have you ever brought your (insert instrument here) to school? do people think your douchin it up? or rock out to your mad chops? please share your fun times at school with your whatever you play

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:05 am 

This OP is completely idiotic, and I doubt this thread will live long.

However, I'll contribute.

There's a teacher at our school heavily into music, mostly classic rock and blues. He has about four guitars in the classroom and is a really nice guy. Me and my freinds frequently take them out at lunch and play behind some rooms.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:22 am 

You have no reason at all to bring a guitar to school, but you do it anyway just for the cool points? Yep, you're a douchebag.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:24 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
You have no reason at all to bring a guitar to school, but you do it anyway just for the cool points? Yep, you're a douchebag.

Was that directed towards me or the OP?

I don't bring my guitar to school, so if it was to me, then read my post more clearly.

If it was to him, my apologies and disregard this post.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:29 am 

Actually, it was sort of directed out toward the aether as neither you nor the OP implied that you did this sort of thing (well, I guess a case could be made for the OP.

Good job somehow reading that into my post, though.

Sounds like your teacher might also be a douchebag, though.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:33 am 

I didn't know, to be honest. Just asked to make sure.

And on the teacher, he can be annoying at times, he can never stop talking or stop repeating himself. He's an alright guy though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:55 am 

I dunno. It's one thing (albeit a pretty douchebaggy thing) to bring your guitar to school to impress your peers and try to get laid, but when a teacher does it? That's just weird and sad.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:02 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I dunno. It's one thing (albeit a pretty douchebaggy thing) to bring your guitar to school to impress your peers and try to get laid, but when a teacher does it? That's just weird and sad.

My school has no shortcomings on pervy teachers. My current science teacher regularly sells popsicles in order to raise money to buy things for his class, and I can guarantee you any girl with nice tits will be getting a free one, amongst other questionable behavior.

And my principal is a former youth pastor, so...

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:17 am 

I picked up the guitar in the 9th grade...and started bringing it to school in the 10th grade. I didn't play to show off or anything. I just loved playing. We usually had about 15-20 minutes to kill after band class (if we played well), so I'd play it there. I also played it in the courtyard at lunch time. Very few people who weren't friends gathered around. I'd also let my friends play it, but I just loved playing. Hauling it from class to class was a pain in the ass, especially with the shitty gig bag I had. I probably brought it to school once every week or so. My history teacher was so cool, he'd end the lesson 10 minutes or so early and said "Mr Kelley, rock out on the guitar for us" and I'd play for the whole class.... The song I could play the best was "Dawn of Eternity" by Massacre, and "For All Tid" by Dimmu Borgir, so no one knew what the hell i was playing, but they all said "Wow, you're so good!" I was obviously the only guitar player in the class, because I wasn't that good at all. :lol:

I don't play much guitar anymore. I discovered how much more fun bass and drums are.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:41 am 

theheinouskilling667 wrote:
My current science teacher regularly sells popsicles in order to raise money to buy things for his class, and I can guarantee you any girl with nice tits will be getting a free one, amongst other questionable behavior.

"Questionable behavior?" Sounds like you need to straighten out your priorities.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:43 am 

He's in middle school. I think it's fair to say that teachers handing out popsicles to 8th graders with "nice tits" is definitely "questionable behavior."

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:16 am 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
I picked up the guitar in the 9th grade...and started bringing it to school in the 10th grade. I didn't play to show off or anything. I just loved playing. We usually had about 15-20 minutes to kill after band class (if we played well), so I'd play it there. I also played it in the courtyard at lunch time. Very few people who weren't friends gathered around. I'd also let my friends play it, but I just loved playing. Hauling it from class to class was a pain in the ass, especially with the shitty gig bag I had. I probably brought it to school once every week or so. My history teacher was so cool, he'd end the lesson 10 minutes or so early and said "Mr Kelley, rock out on the guitar for us" and I'd play for the whole class.... The song I could play the best was "Dawn of Eternity" by Massacre, and "For All Tid" by Dimmu Borgir, so no one knew what the hell i was playing, but they all said "Wow, you're so good!" I was obviously the only guitar player in the class, because I wasn't that good at all. :lol:

I don't play much guitar anymore. I discovered how much more fun bass and drums are.

Crap! I forgot to finish my story :lol::lol: In the 11th grade, we got a new principal...he saw me playing my guitar in the courtyard at lunch time. There was another guy playing across the courtyard. He confiscated both of the guitars!! Me and the other guy had to pick them up from his office after school. I was very upset, but I never brought my guitar back to school again.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:33 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
He's in middle school. I think it's fair to say that teachers handing out popsicles to 8th graders with "nice tits" is definitely "questionable behavior."

Did I stutter? :P

Heh, I forgot dude's age.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:09 am 

If you take out an acoustic guitar in public and aren't homeless/a busker in general, my mind instantly categorizes you as a "douchebag supreme" until proven otherwise. So far, no one has yet fulfilled the "proven otherwise" part.

Now, my one music professor will sometimes bring his electric guitar into class if he needs to prove a point, but that's mainly because he's far better at guitar than piano and, you know, he's teaching us about music theory.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:29 am 

I only bring it if I'm going to jam after school or my classical guitar if there's ensemble practice. Bringing it to show off is such a loser thing to do.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:40 am 

I've done that once or twice because I saw a few other people at school doing it.

Now I feel like a douchebag :(

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:45 am 

Yes, I took my guitar to school heaps because I had to record an album for one class, I had to take it to my music classes and I would jam during my free periods.

Who cares if people think you are 'douching it up'? You're certainly not if your taking it to play and not wear.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:25 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

This. This. THIS.

Back in high school, only freshmen sporting their Slipknot shirts would bring their guitars and mini amps and show everyone just how untalented they were. If it wasn't the first 20 seconds of Crazy Train, it was a simple chugga-chugga riff. The ONLY time I've brought an instrument for extra-curricular activites was when I was jamming my bass (unplugged) with my friend on guitar, who worked late at the Student Help Center.

Playing a guitar in school when you don't have a guitar class is the equivalent of stripping on top of a lunch table and screaming "LOVE ME!!!!!!!!!!"

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:42 am 

And only a highschool mindset would lead one to think someone is an *insert flavor of the month insult here* just for playing a guitar at school.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:46 am 

Don't/didn't you guys ever have to take your instrument to school for musical classes?

When I was in high school it was compulsory to take the instrument you were studying to school for two out of the four weekly lessons we had for my music performance/history/theory class and for many of us the instrument we were studying was guitar.

Then for my Audio Production (live and studio) / Music Industry course we had to record an album, so most of us ended up recording our own bands, so we'd spend quite a bit of time playing stuff to record and mix.

We also had a few free periods a week and since most of us had guitars there for one of the two previously mentioned activities we'd just go to a spare room, find anyone who could drum to play drums and have a jam. It sure beat sitting around the library for an hour.

We had a room full of amps too, one time my friend used the line outs to connect a couple of guitar amps to a bass amp (when a few of us were quite into stoner metal). Anyway he played for about twenty minutes and then one of the music teachers burst in the door furious because he could hear it on the other side of the school :lol:

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:01 pm 

Read the OP, he's talking about bringing an instrument DESPITE NOT requiring it, except for showboating purposes.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:12 pm 

Even then, who cares? People bring all sorts of other personal effects to school for their own enjoyment. I see nothing wrong with bringing an instrument to play in your spare time. The fact that others would insult these kids speaks more to them than the musicians.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:22 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Even then, who cares? People bring all sorts of other personal effects to school for their own enjoyment. I see nothing wrong with bringing an instrument to play in your spare time. The fact that others would insult these kids speaks more to them than the musicians.

While I do see where you're coming from, rexxz, we're more or less talking about people who are "attention whores" with their instruments. If they're sitting there, playing quietly, minding their own business, not being a major D-bag, then they're alright. It's the ones that bring their amps, set them up in the cafeteria during lunch hours, crank it up to 11 and play pseudo-riffs so people will pay attention to them. The latter was very common at my school.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:24 pm 

And what's wrong with that, exactly?

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 pm 

Well, wouldn't you be bothered if you were trying to eat lunch and have a conversation with your friends, and all you could hear in the background was SKWAEAKCHUGCHUGWAMMYCHUGYEA!! I equate it to people who talk obnoxiously loud on their cellphone in public.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:33 pm 

Not really, I'd simply move to another spot or ask the person to turn it down. Certainly wouldn't resort to childish insults.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:42 pm 

Mateilkrist wrote:
Well, wouldn't you be bothered if you were trying to eat lunch and have a conversation with your friends, and all you could hear in the background was SKWAEAKCHUGCHUGWAMMYCHUGYEA!! I equate it to people who talk obnoxiously loud on their cellphone in public.

I equate it to threads like these, actually.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.