Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AmishFury
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:44 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826159052

Has anyone ever used some as ridiculously priced as this? I feel like it hits a certian point where there's little to no difference from something like 500 headphones to 700

the Qualia Q010 those were based on are like $2500+
the Sennheiser HD800 is $1400
the Grado PS1000 is in the $1600 ballpark

electrostatic systems are also never cheap cheapest i remember seeing for a complete system with the amp was still over $500... and there are is the king of expensive... the sennheiser oprheus system... $30K

the differences are there when you get into they $300+ range and sometimes are night and day and when you hear it you won't be able to unhear it (i've refused to even listen to other people's electrostatic headphones i'd like to remain happy with what i have)

Expedience wrote:
Dude... ripping on Skullcandies then recommending goddamn SONYs is a little hypocritical.

depends on the model of sony headphones...

now for what i use...

for listening at home i have a pair of Sennheiser HD580s connected to a META42 amp built by an unknown head-fi member which is connected to my computer's soundcard (X-Fi)

for portable listening i use a Sandisk Sansa E280 which has rockbox installed and i use it with either some Sennheiser MX55 earbuds, Sennheiser PX100s, or Phonak Audeo PFE112s (the best IEM in their pricerange) depending on the situation

and for when i need to rock out quietly on my guitar i have Sennheiser EH2200 which i prefer for this purpose over the HD580s due to the much more neutral sound signature

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:59 pm 

Hey, can someone explain the difference between a valve, solid state and tube amp to me? I'm pretty confused on it.

Edit: Sony headphones are rather overpriced but they are decent

thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:41 am 

NJdEvil508 wrote:
Expedience wrote:
Dude... ripping on Skullcandies then recommending goddamn SONYs is a little hypocritical.

No man. They lasted a lot longer. The only reason they broke is because I fell asleep on them. lol

I hate it when I do that.
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:27 am 

Anyone find it funny when people say they have a "pair of headphones". Why would you need two of them?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:55 am 

Because you've got two ears and most music is recorded in stereo?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:37 am 

On the go I use my Sennheiser CX-300B earbuds (pic) they sound very good for earbuds, and have lasted me longer than any other headphones I've had.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:40 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Because you've got two ears and most music is recorded in stereo?

^Headphones

Image Image
^A pair of headphones.^

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:02 am 

Headphone.

(Pair of) Headphones.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:08 am 

Thanks! You saved me the trouble.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:10 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Thanks! You saved me the trouble.

:lol: Yeah, I figured that a was pretty obvious mistake.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:56 am 

Well I'm still not convinced but we'll let it rest. It's a semantic issue anyway.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:22 am 

I'm using Grado SR-225is driven by a X-Fi Forte. Great headphones. Couldn't really imagine spending any more money on headphones for a long time.

AmishFury
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:34 pm 

Cianyx wrote:
Hey, can someone explain the difference between a valve, solid state and tube amp to me? I'm pretty confused on it.

valve and tube are the same thing

tube amps generally color the sound a bit... but in a good way

tube amps also have durability concerns they need proper ventilation and the tubes themselves are a bit fragile but tubes are easily replaced if/when they are damaged or "go out"

solid state amps are capable of more accurate reproduction of sound and the parts are far less fragile and don't generate near the level of heat as tube amps

which is better? that depends on your ears and wallet...

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:20 pm 

Alright. Thanks man

Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:16 pm 

I use a V-Moda Vibe here, it boosts most of the highs, mids and lows, but the bass is boosted most, so the bass can be felt more easily. Black metal is not so screechy for some bands and death metal has a stronger pulse to it. But it cost me quite a lot.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:24 am 

I have the Sennheiser HD205 as my main headphones. They're decent closed cans, I got 'em over a year ago because I needed something cheap and simple for recording/monitoring. Hoping to get the HD555 and some good IEC's at some point, those Monsters someone posted last page looked pretty nice.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:42 am 

invoked wrote:
I have the Sennheiser HD205 as my main headphones. They're decent closed cans, I got 'em over a year ago because I needed something cheap and simple for recording/monitoring. Hoping to get the HD555 and some good IEC's at some point, those Monsters someone posted last page looked pretty nice.

They are quite nice. If you've got the funds for'em, Monster also put out a higher end model for $250. I've only heard good things, all claiming them vastly superior to the basic models.

They also come with a lifetime warranty, and they'll completely replace one set for you, even if the damage is your fault.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:59 pm 

Expedience wrote:
Well I'm still not convinced but we'll let it rest. It's a semantic issue anyway.

It's sort of the same situation as "pair of pants".

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:09 pm 

AKG K44 pair I've had for aeons but most recently, a pair of Grado SR80is I just invested in for a serious £108. They're ace.

Affliction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 am 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
Expedience wrote:

It's sort of the same situation as "pair of pants".

I was just about to mention this...

CyberMessiah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:31 am 

I use skull candy headphones. I don't know the exact model but it's one of the larger ones. Very nice sound quality, and they fold which is a plus.

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:36 pm 

In August I bought headphones KOSS (the plug type). They have excellent sound and lifetime warranty. I am very satisfy with them.

http://www.koss.com/

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:04 pm 

pioneer SE MJ5 -> about 60 euro, good buy

NJdEvil508
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:12 pm 

After all that shit I talked about Skullcandy, I went out and bought their Titan headphones. I am truly a dumbass: message under image, center of page.
They seem durable. It really pissed me off when I had a nice sounding pair of headphones that would break in only a few weeks.
Well I must say the sound quality beats any that I have hearrd from Skullcandy thus far. There is a lot of bass but it is not overbearing or harmful to the higher frequencies.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:04 am 

I used Bose In Ear Headphones until I sent them back. While waiting for another pair in the mail, I use stock iPod headphones.

Attitude
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 am 

I've been using Sony MDR-EX71's for a few years now. The first few batches that went on sale were terrible. The cord that goes around the back of the neck would literally melt after a few weeks. All the insulation would come away because the material was very soft.

The newer ones are far better and have different insulation.

CrownOvHorns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:00 am 

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD201. I got them free from my internet provider, seeing that they're losing customers and giving out gifts so people stay with them. They're pretty good for freebies. :P

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:49 am 

Grado SR 61 is what i own.
Really good for heavy metal.

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:56 am 

I just buy some cheap 20 dollar (aus) sony headphones... i thrash the shit out of them for up to 6 months, then once the bass starts to fuck up in one or both ears and the volume is just not the same... i go buy a new pair,

Viral_Nemesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:45 pm 

Cianyx wrote:
Here's my AD700. It's meant for classical but Lo-fi BM works just as well. Brings out mids and high pretty well. Virtually no bass but tons of bands mix out the bass anyway.

I have those AD700s. Still breaking them in, but they're quite excellent for metal (as well as a bit of classical!)

Could anyone recommend the best pair of Grados relative to price (most bang for the buck)? I can't really afford the Reference/Pro series, but maybe one of the more inexpensive pairs?

Cianyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:05 pm 

I'm no connoisseur on headphones but a lot of people prefer Alessandros over Grados. I've heard that MS-1's uses SR-225 drivers and has a darker sound to it compared to Grados. I've got a pair and I really like it but I've yet to compare it to Grados.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:09 pm 

mine was made in acrappy factory in china

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:42 pm 

Got a JB Hi Fi voucher for $50 for early Xmas and by what I've read here, I might get myself a pair of Sennheisers.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:18 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Sennheiser HD 280 pro when i'm doing radio or at home, too big and pricey to walk around and abuse. Amazing headphones and i've yet to personally hear any better.

No offense, but those headphones aren't meant for listening. They're meant for isolation during recording, so that you can have the headphones really loud and it won't get in the microphone, or alternatively so you can have the headphones at a decent volume and still be audible while recording a really loud source (ie. Drums or guitars). They don't sound very good, very tinny bass/low mid response and a huge peak around 3Khz.

The best headphones I've personally used are Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I got lucky and they were on sale for $80 new, so I ordered a pair on the recommendations of friends. They're really clean, clear, and smooth, with an even frequency response all the way down to 40Hz. Great for listening and mixing.

invisiman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:21 am 

My main cans are AKG K701's driven by an Audio-GD Compass. I also have, but rarely use Alessandro MS1's, and Beyerdynamic DT250's. For portable use I have Westone UM1's and Etymotic ER6i's (an a plethora of cheaper sets).

I'm thinking I'll pick myself up a pair of Head Direct RE0's over the holiday season, as an upgrade over my current portable IEM's.

Argonauth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:58 pm 

woeoftyrants wrote:
I'm not too much of a stickler when it comes to headphones.

For home listening and getting in-depth with an album, I use Sony MDR V-150s. The sound frequency is fairly balanced for $20, but the treble could be a little sharper for my taste.

These Sony ones are the best relatively cheap earphones one could ever get, comfortable, and for how relatively cheap they are, awesome quality for the price!!

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:16 pm 

I just got a pair of Bose In Ear Headphones, and they are fucking incredible. They are my first high end headphone experience, and everything is just so crystal clear. I can hear every little detail, everything that the producer wanted you to get out of the music.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:48 pm 

i bought a pair of these over the summer.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Skullcandy+ ... cp=1&lp=13

after a few years of putting up with unreliable and poor earbuds, i had to have something trust worthy that i could enjoy listening to music with. they're working great for me and they have a lifetime warranty, so i'm able to feel confident with them. they aren't noise canceling headphones, but they work well to drown out excessive background noise and focus on the music, with plenty of audible bass in the mix. the only complaint i have about them is that they can become rather uncomfortable after wearing them for an extended period of time.

overall, i'm very satisfied.

Enverxis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:55 am 

I have 2 pairs of Sennheiser HD650s that I got for around $250 AUD second hand each :)

I was a die-hard Grado user until I got these. Never going back ... Comfort level is 100x better and the sound suits all types of music, not just a few.

Cendelence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 am 

I had some black ink'd skullcandies but this fucking bitch of a girl begged to use them so I let her. Then I forgot to get them back and it was the last day of school, so now school started and she fucking wont give them back.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next