Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:15 pm 

This has to be one if the darkest non-metal albums that I have ever heard. I don't know if you have heard The Drift or maybe if you heard Tilt but Scott Walker's work has been called genius by some admirers of experimental music. The Drift is a very inaccessible album and hard to classify but I would say it falls under Avant-Garde. For those of you unfamiliar with the artist, Scott Walker was the singer in the 60's pop band The Walker Brothers but in the last 30 years he's put out only three solo albums of very strange and dark music.
I was wondering if any of you have heard this very arcane sounding album. It's mostly vocal driven and Walker's voice us unmistakable. Hard to believe this is the same guy who sang The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore. If you like experimental music, dark jazz or even some drone, I wonder what you would think about The Drift.

Korpserotter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:39 pm 

A GREAT artist!
In fact, I like all his material starting from his solo album and quite a bit from the Walker Brothers output up to his latest creations.

There has been a relatively recent documentary about him (from 2007) I think which was aired by the BBC and, if my mind doesn´t play tricks on me, also shown at some film fests.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:49 pm 

How ironic. I just heard this album in its entirety for the first time tonight.

Your first sentences says it all. Rarely would I actually describe music as outwardly 'depressing', but somehow this fits. There's just something about his voice that evokes genuine dark emotion. Certainly not an everyday listen, but I definitely enjoyed listening to the album.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:52 pm 

screamingstatue wrote:
How ironic. I just heard this album in its entirety for the first time tonight.

Your first sentences says it all. Rarely would I actually describe music as outwardly 'depressing', but somehow this fits. There's just something about his voice that evokes genuine dark emotion. Certainly not an everyday listen, but I definitely enjoyed listening to the album.

And I listened to it just yesterday also. I heard about this album from reading a blog that Mikael Akerfeldt wrote raving about it. Very bizarre and surreal music on it. It sounds like something out of a David Lynch film.

Satanic_Shoe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:53 pm 

I have this album, and it's quite bizarre and difficult. Reminds me of a tame version of Ulver's newer material. Interesting listen though, but a fucking difficult one at that.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.