Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DrBusey
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:03 am 

This article is from last year, but I recently happened upon it. In Guantanamo Bay, people are using various songs as torture, especially Deicide's "Fuck Your God" off "Scars of the Crucifix."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/ju ... guantanamo

And let me get the obvious joke out of the way. Sitting through Deicide's recent efforts has been tortrue.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:10 am 

swineeyedlamb made a post called "Deicide become government gimps" a while back. It can no longer be seen, though. I remember Benton almost seemed to be honoured.

DrBusey
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:17 am 

I figured it had been mentioned before, but I couldn't for the life of me find it. I'm pretty sure the article at least features a few quotes from Asheim.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:07 am 

I remember hearing about this a long time ago. I think something like Stalaggh would have produced better results. Black/noise is torture to my ears.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:12 am 

I hope I'm not the only one who put on Fuck Your God while reading this.

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:21 pm 

I think the truely horrifying thing about this story is the use of the Barney the Dinosaur song, I think that would genuinely drive me insane if that was blasted at me round the clock. :( ironic how many metalheads voluntarily subject themselves to "torture" like blasting Deicide and enjoy it lol, though I think one song blasted all day at deafening volume would be torturous no matter what your taste in music. I haven't seen the Hetfield quote in this article before, it's pretty disappointing as he comes off like a total moron, though it's not quite as bad as Glen Benton's reaction which IIRC was close to "God bless America!"

also:

"The CIA rendered him to Morocco, where his torturers repeatedly took a razor blade to his penis throughout an 18-month ordeal."
fucking hell :(

You know, every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing, someone comes along to correct that assumption.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:13 pm 

Glenn Benton saying "God bless America" is funny on so many levels.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:16 pm 

Visionary wrote:
I remember hearing about this a long time ago. I think something like Stalaggh would have produced better results. Black/noise is torture to my ears.

"Oh God, why? I can't take it, it's... so gimmicky. AHHHH!"

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:51 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Visionary wrote:

Yeah it is a gimmick but it aint really music, just noise that is very abrasive on the ears. The same can be said for numerous other black/noise acts like Emit. I find these things to hurt my ears too much to listen to now.

Brain Drill would also be another good option for something like this.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:09 pm 

Deucalion wrote:
swineeyedlamb made a post called "Deicide become government gimps" a while back. It can no longer be seen, though. I remember Benton almost seemed to be honoured.
damn you have some incredible memory!
I remember the thread existing but couldnt tell you who created it or the title

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:53 pm 

For a few seconds I pictured how awesome that job would be. Blasting Immolation and shit to prisoners. Then again, there's much more to it that makes it hard to bear.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:23 pm 

How many prisoners at that place are religious?

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:32 pm 

Well, on the plus side it may make middle-eastern people more open to listening to heavy music. However, they'll probably just end up listening to shit like Six Feet Under.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:46 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:
Well, on the plus side it may make middle-eastern people more open to listening to heavy music. However, they'll probably just end up listening to shit like Six Feet Under.

But they probably take it as a negative thing, thus becoming more opposed to heavy music...

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:53 pm 

Why didn't they use Taghut too, as it contains anti-Islamic lyrical themes..

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:54 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:

Next time we have one of those "when did you get into metal?" threads we'll have someone saying "well, I was being tortured by the CIA..."

You know, every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing, someone comes along to correct that assumption.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:29 pm 

It is rare that I agree with something a member of Metallica says, but James came off as pretty agreeable here, and maybe even a bit unintentionally humorous.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:47 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:

Probably what most of the people in the army listen to. The kind of stuff you listen to while bringing democracy to the people, yah know?
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 pm 

I heard Anaal Nathrakh also gets used a lot, while transporting prisoners in those cargo containers.

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:00 pm 

Quote:
no sane person voluntarily plays a single tune at earsplitting volume, over and over, 24 hours a day, and expects to stay sane.

Speak for yourself.
:lol:

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:13 pm 

mrchris wrote:

What an out-of-touch thing to say.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
mrchris wrote:

What an out-of-touch thing to say.

But of course they'll go out of their ways to look for extreme music that is specifically against the religions of the prisoners they're torturing, despite the fact that most people wouldn't understand the harsh vocals enough to KNOW that they were being blasphemed to, even if they were not distracted by the fact that they were being tortured.

Pfft. I expected more from you ThrashingMad.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
Lepernicus wrote:

Probably what most of the people in the army listen to. The kind of stuff you listen to while bringing democracy to the people, yah know?

I think that's a triple irony score. On the military's part, not yours.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:57 pm 

Visionary wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
Visionary wrote:

Yeah it is a gimmick but it aint really music, just noise that is very abrasive on the ears. The same can be said for numerous other black/noise acts like Emit. I find these things to hurt my ears too much to listen to now.

Stalaggh is good. The vocals are amazing.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:00 pm 

It wouldn't be torture to me. I'd be headbanging.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:02 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

Really, mid-era Deicide is pretty damn bad.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:03 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

They'd probably waterboard your ass while they're doing it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:04 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

They'd probably waterboard your ass while they're doing it.

Then I would tell them Deicide isn't surf music.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:07 pm 

:lol: I should request a transfer :lol:

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:13 pm 

If someone wanted to break me all they'd have to do is put me in a room and play I'm N Luv (Wit A Stripper). I would not only tell them what color my mother's underwear is, but I would be in a state of catatonia screaming "make the T-Pain go away!!!" Fuck, I had to listen to that awful shit at work once.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:19 pm 

I'm kind of immune to pop music now. I had to here Lil' Wayne's "Lollipop" 3 times a day for 4 months straight. At least once in the morning (someone's phone alarm) and usually other times during the day. This past week when I was in Utah, the chick I was with always had Lady Gaga and whatever else is hip these days on the radio playing. I just went along with it and it didn't phase me at all.

She was looking through my iPod the first night and saw Pestilence - "Is this an electronic band?" She's great, but damn :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, back on the torture. It makes sense that the majority of the world hates / doesnt' care for death metal, but is such a method really that effective? You can't really call it cruel or unusual like many other methods, but what sort of stress does it put someone other to eventually go crazy by?

Shit, if they made me watch 2 girls 1 cup or something then I get it, I'll tell you the numbers to all the TMs I've ever read.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:33 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Anyway, back on the torture. It makes sense that the majority of the world hates / doesnt' care for death metal, but is such a method really that effective? You can't really call it cruel or unusual like many other methods, but what sort of stress does it put someone other to eventually go crazy by?

It's probably just the volume blaring (it's probably very loud) all the time, and I'm sure it deprives you of sleep. They're not just using death metal, anyways.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:11 am 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
How many prisoners at that place are religious?

Guantanamo is filled with Middle-Eastern terror suspects and Al Qaeda wankers. So, most of them...

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:14 am 

Can the US please stop pissing on The Universal Deceleration Of Human Rights, and The Geneva Convention, please?

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:18 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Can the US please stop pissing on The Universal Deceleration Of Human Rights, and The Geneva Convention, please?

We don't decelerate, we push the pedal to the metal when when push comes to shove. No declarations needed. Bush and Cheney always found loopholes. And we aren't in Geneva.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:10 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
The Universal Deceleration Of Human Rights

The fuck is that?

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:36 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
when I was in Utah, the chick I was with always had Lady Gaga and whatever else is hip these days on the radio playing. I just went along with it and it didn't phase me at all.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Shit, if they made me watch 2 girls 1 cup or something then I get it, I'll tell you the numbers to all the TMs I've ever read.

Hey, Lady Gaga is awesome! In my opinion, it'd only be torture if the volume is up so incredibly loud that you start worrying about your eardrums' well-being. And I think there are much easier ways to threaten someone's hearing than that. Sleep deprivation and annoyance/lack of concentration is all I can see it giving.

LRTBRN
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:24 pm 

i want to be tortured in this kind :-D

Jmo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:02 pm 

Isn't music and songs in general outlawed in some of those middle eastern countries? So of course, you can imagine what it's like for someone who's not even accustomed to POP music to think Deicide and other metal bands are just loud, blaring noises with no rhythm or meaning. I have friends and family who think that and they blare rap/country.

I myself would use annoyingly catchy songs from kids shows much like the Barney theme they already use, just that ONE song, very loud (but not so loud as to damage hearing), on loop all day and night... sheesh, I'd almost feel bad for them.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:52 pm 

It's a violation of human rights no matter what music is used.
Put your favourite song on infinite repeat, ear-splitting volume, day and night, see if you still think it's not that bad.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next