Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm 

Share your thoughts.

I personally think that music as we knew it gonna die.
Too much accessibility for everything, unlimited amount of so called bands which just cloning themselves, the death of vinyl and cd's, music is just getting scattered and lame.
Can't really see a dim light of hope, kids try to learn guitar from youtube and download their favorite musician's career in a matter of minutes.

Music has lost it's magic.
It's just not the way it was, and it's getting worse.
I think that in 2019 onward, music will have an extremely different meaning than it had in the 20th cenutry.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:05 pm 

You do realize that right now you sound like every 60 year-old who denounces every piece of music written after 1979 right?

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:07 pm 

I know some 60 year olds who like a lot of music written after the 80's, you've got no point.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:16 pm 

Human666 wrote:
I know some 60 year olds who like a lot of music written after the 80's, you've got no point.

No, I have a point, you are simply missing it. You know 60 year olds who denounce newer music? You're being like them. The only difference is that while they're saying "music has died", you're saying "music will die."

Let me put it this way, your fears are similar to fears that arose when television started becoming commonplace. People were afraid that things such as baseball would become devalued because you didn't have to actually attend the game in person anymore. I imagine similar things were said when recorded music started catching on. Their fears were ultimately proven to be pretty silly, just as yours are now.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:48 pm 

This is quite honestly one of the dumbest ideas I've seen on this board in quite a while.

Music is not going to die. It evolves. It always has, and always will. Funny thing is, people have been claiming that "music is dying" since the middle ages. It's been "dying" for six hundred years, and there's no more sign of it dying now than there was fifty years ago.

Simply put, you are wrong.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:08 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:

No, I have a point, you are simply missing it. You know 60 year olds who denounce newer music? You're being like them. The only difference is that while they're saying "music has died", you're saying "music will die."

Let me put it this way, your fears are similar to fears that arose when television started becoming commonplace. People were afraid that things such as baseball would become devalued because you didn't have to actually attend the game in person anymore. I imagine similar things were said when recorded music started catching on. Their fears were ultimately proven to be pretty silly, just as yours are now.

Sorry I don't buy these comparisons, music isn't like baseball or T.V.
Music (the way it suppose to be at least) is an art, not an electronic device of entertainment or a sport.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:09 pm 

Ribos wrote:
This is quite honestly one of the dumbest ideas I've seen on this board in quite a while.

Music is not going to die. It evolves. It always has, and always will. Funny thing is, people have been claiming that "music is dying" since the middle ages. It's been "dying" for six hundred years, and there's no more sign of it dying now than there was fifty years ago.

Then how music has EVOLVED in the last 10 years?

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:09 pm 

I don't see it dieing. Seems as strong as ever right now with artists making millions in record sales and endorsements and ticket sales. Now metal may be a different story though.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:16 pm 

Visionary wrote:
I don't see it dieing. Seems as strong as ever right now with artists making millions in record sales and endorsements and ticket sales. Now metal may be a different story though.

I don't talk about metal (which is fucking dead right now), I talk about music as a whole.
And you are wrong. First of all making millions in record sales doesn't have any connection with music development.
Secondly, you gotta be kidding me, record sales are only getting lower as long as internet exists. The best selling album was Thriller which came out like 27 years ago.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 pm 

Ribos wrote:

No, "you've got no point."

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 pm 

Human666 wrote:
Ribos wrote:

You're pulling the exact same argument creationists and intelligent design supporters pull against biological evolution. For a big change to evolve, you need to look at a bigger time frame.

But if you truly can't see how things have been changing over the past century, even the past half century, you have no idea what you're talking about.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 pm 

Human666 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:

Music (the way it suppose to be at least) is an art, not an electronic device of entertainment or a sport.

It's a perfectly valid comparison given that you seem to be blaming the internet ("kids try to learn guitar from youtube and download their favorite musician's career in a matter of minutes. ") for some perceived "decline" in music. You think this will destroy it's integrity or stop its "evolution", those are the exact same sorts fears people had in my comparison above regarding TV.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:53 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Human666 wrote:
Ribos wrote:

yadayada

Just answer the question or don't bother at all.
I know very well how music evolved in the past century, but I'm talking about the CURRENT century.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:59 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:

It's a perfectly valid comparison given that you seem to be blaming the internet ("kids try to learn guitar from youtube and download their favorite musician's career in a matter of minutes. ") for some perceived "decline" in music. You think this will destroy it's integrity or stop its "evolution", those are the exact same sorts fears people had in my comparison above regarding TV.

I really don't like all these metaphoric arguments so I'll make it clear:
I don't talk about the fucking TV, I talk about music!
Please let's keep this topic about what it suppose to be.
Don't talk about my fears (I don't have any fears- haha ;) ) and tell me something simple: what about the last decade makes you so sure that music won't be wasted at the future?

Personal_hygiene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:00 pm 

We need new drugs, new technology & more unemployment for these youngsters to stop recycling old ideas ;p

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 pm 

Music has evolved in the current century production-wise, you can bet that much. And I doubt we'll see all the way the music itself evolved right now. In the future, we will, though. The band that could innovate an entire new genre of music could be a mere demo band right now, for all you or I know.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm 

Personal_hygiene wrote:
We need new drugs, new technology & more unemployment for these youngsters to stop recycling old ideas ;p

That's the spirit!

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:14 pm 

If you aren't willing to actually discuss the topic, why did you start the thread?

Ribos nailed it-- music will evolve. It always does.

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:27 pm 

One thing is certain, things like myspace, youtube and others aren´t necessarly bad. For bands with a more serious approach to their art it´s becoming easier to be recognized alongside the more normal bands. And music is constantly evolving, so does the distribution and marketing.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 pm 

Human666 wrote:
I don't talk about metal (which is fucking dead right now.)

It really isn't.

Human666 wrote:

I think you mentioned the evolution (or part of it) in your initial post. Technology is allowing for new and different musical distribution and interaction. As you said, people can now learn how to play instruments via the internet, lesser known artists can release their music for free or for payed download, advancements in roads and transportation allows for bands to play in more places, and perhaps the oil situation is going to change/is changing that - but, again, this is evolution.

Neil Finn is uploading small bits of music, essentially unfinished pieces, for fans to download, re-arrange, add new bits into, etc. Basically what he has done is created a way for his fans to interact with him musically and create music with him. How is this not evolution? How is youtube, facebook, myspace, vampirefreaks, and this very website here not signs of evolution of the way music exists and functions?

I'm kind of confused, because your opening post did seem to indicate you thought music was changing and evolving, saying it would have a different meaning in the future, yet you seem to be now expressing an opinion that it is stagnating.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Last edited by TheUglySoldier on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 pm 

ForNaught wrote:
If you aren't willing to actually discuss the topic, why did you start the thread?

Ribos nailed it-- music will evolve. It always does.

Correct. Before the invention of instruments there was a capella; in medieval times religious hymns dominated - and during the Renaissance there were several classical movements, such as baroque. Eventually, as electric instruments became popular, rock emerged, and from that came punk, metal, and various other genres - not to mention electronic music. As music has progressed since what was likely the Neolithic Revolution, it will continue to do so beyond the foreseeable future.

Along with the evolution in genres, recording technology as well as distribution has evolved. We went from vinyl to CD to the Internet; just because some formats are no longer the norm does not mean that music has become any less prevalent. The medium has just shifted, that's all.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 pm 

Music will never die because people will always love shitty top 40 songs.

Last.fm

alexlovestheredchord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:01 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
Music will never die because people will always love shitty top 40 songs.
\\

if depressive black metal died the world would be a happier place.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:04 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:

But you're doing something worse - you're completely dismissing his question even though it might be right or wrong. These 60 year olds you talk about may have been wrong (who knows?) but that doesn't mean people who raise this question will always be. Music in 100 years may be made entirely by computers. Would it be so wrong for someone then to claim that music is dead, or will you refuse to let them answer the question because they're always wrong?

Music always evolves, perhaps this is true. Whether it is for good or bad is a different matter and a more difficult one, which is why everyone is substituting easy answers.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:08 pm 

Tell me how can't music evolve? And it's not something that happen each 2 years, if we take mainstream bands as a sign of evolution, yeah, we only hear more of the same, but it wasn't like that a couple of years back as it will be in a couple of years. The rock n' roll years lasted a couple of years, and if we were in those years, you'd say the exact same thing. It HAS to evolve as generations come and go.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:

I have to disagree. TV does destroy part of baseball's integrity. So does recording and the ability to download music in roughly ten seconds with none effort whatsoever. I'm not really complaining, but it's destroyed alot of the connection between consumers and artists, IMO.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:46 am 

I think that originality--real originality--is vanishing faster and faster all the time. The only time everything souds fresh and new is when you're young and first experiencing everything. The older you get, the worse it all looks (sounds).

I think, business wise, music is finally finding some even ground between physical releases (which I prefer) like CD's and digital purchases. So the industry won't crash.

But ultimately, it's harder and harder to find a band with a sound, style, theme, etc that hasn't been done before. Too much generic "me-too" music.

One thing, though, is that I think trends are pretty much gone. Large-scale trends, I mean. Like 80's Hair bands, 90's Alternative, etc. There won't be eras where one style seems to rule the airwaves anymore. Thankfully, the more people who have more accessibility to wider ranges of music will probably prevent corporate stooges like MTV from defining what is and isn't popular. Part of this comes from the seeming fact that Pop Music has become a genre in and of itself, where once "Pop" was just whichever music genre/style/band was popular.

The 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's were largely defined by popular trends and styles where music was concerned. A large part of that deals with many of these then-popular styles just being born or coming into maturity at those times. Minor fads will no longer be as all-encompassing past trends had been. All those older styles still exist today, and have their fans. The internet culture helps keep people of certain tastes together thus preventing any form of music from ever again really suffering death as Disco did once the 80's got into full swing.

Coming back to my original sentiment, there really isn't much more to invent where musical styles are concerned. As I said, it's all been done. I think we're entering an era where every kind of music has it's place and it's people. Though, gradually, this will cause every style and genre to become nice and generic.

Just my personal thoughts/views.

Metal-wise, I find the majority of Black Metal bands to be painfully generic and uninteresting. One needs to do more for artistic growth than to record music with the main focus on it being "extremely raw."

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:03 am 

Expedience wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Human666 wrote:

But you're doing something worse - you're completely dismissing his question even though it might be right or wrong. These 60 year olds you talk about may have been wrong (who knows?) but that doesn't mean people who raise this question will always be. Music in 100 years may be made entirely by computers. Would it be so wrong for someone then to claim that music is dead, or will you refuse to let them answer the question because they're always wrong?

Music always evolves, perhaps this is true. Whether it is for good or bad is a different matter and a more difficult one, which is why everyone is substituting easy answers.

Do you believe that fans of classical who insist music is dead are wrong? I think it's quite safe to assume you listen to music besides classical, are you telling me you wouldn't dismiss their argument that music has been dead for the past century?

It's essentially saying "everything's been done, there's nothing new", and really, we've heard that argument over and over again in the past and each time those who said it were slapped in the face by some new idea in time.

Music is stagnating right now because we're in a period of revivalism. Nobody's trying new things because we're too busy exploring the past right now. I imagine once that's over with, we'll see something really interesting pop up.

I don't believe music's evolution can be good or bad, it's all perspective. Personally I plan on embracing whatever the future of music holds, or at the very least, giving it the chance it deserves. Certainly, we can't predict what it will be like at all by then, the internet has thrown quite a wrench into almost every convention of traditional entertainment business.

KingVold wrote:
I have to disagree. TV does destroy part of baseball's integrity. So does recording and the ability to download music in roughly ten seconds with none effort whatsoever. I'm not really complaining, but it's destroyed alot of the connection between consumers and artists, IMO.

In many ways, one could see it as just the opposite, fans are able to connect with artists when they may have never had the chance before. I'm sure you've heard the argument plenty of times, the people who say that downloading albums from various bands on a whim have made them into fans of music they would've otherwise never bothered with. These people are going to buy merchandise, see the band on tour, get excited for a new album release, etc. I'm sure they would disagree that the fact that they discovered the band through downloading has devalued them.

Again, it's all a matter of perspective.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:08 am 

It's also important to remember that there will always be (sometimes large) niche markets for just about everything. Did the invention of the electric guitar render the acoustic guitar completely obsolete? Of course not. Did the popularization of the guitar in pop music render more traditional strings, brass and woodwinds obsolete? Hell no. So it's really absurd to say that in 100 years all music will be made by computers. People are going to be playing guitars forever.

The same goes for people's tastes in music. Sure genres are invented and become popular then decline in popularity but there's always an audience for it. People still listen to classical music, bluegrass, jazz, etc.

The same also goes for music formats. Vinyl isn't dead, it's just a niche medium. Same with tapes, although they have an even more limited market. I think CD's are eventually going to see the same fate but optical discs as a medium for music will likely never go away completely (at least not any time in the near future).

Music has an amazing measure of survivability and adaptability.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:08 am 

AppleQueso wrote:

Do you believe that fans of classical who insist music is dead are wrong? I think it's quite safe to assume you listen to music besides classical, are you telling me you wouldn't dismiss their argument that music has been dead for the past century?

I think they're wrong, but I have the benefit of hindsight. The point remains - it's very possible that no more good music is to come. We don't know. Someone who says music is dead might be right, they might be wrong. It's worth debating on. How can you claim to know the future? It's extremely arrogant to claim that humans have an infinite well of creativity which they can dip their pens into anytime.

Besides, let me play at your game. At the end of the 16th century if someone claimed that Mayan art was dead, they would have been right, no?

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:32 am 

Expedience wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

I think they're wrong, but I have the benefit of hindsight. The point remains - it's very possible that no more good music is to come. We don't know. Someone who says music is dead might be right, they might be wrong. It's worth debating on. How can you claim to know the future? It's extremely arrogant to claim that humans have an infinite well of creativity which they can dip their pens into anytime.

Besides, let me play at your game. At the end of the 16th century if someone claimed that Mayan art was dead, they would have been right, no?

Nobody has ever been correct in assuming that "everything has been done", so why should they be correct now? I don't find it arrogant at all to reject the point that we are "running out of ideas". Will we run out of "good" music? well that's pretty subjective, no point arguing that, but music itself WILL still be around, and far from dead, regardless if any of us actually like it or not.

As for the Mayan art thing, yes Mayan art is dead, but art in general is not. We're talking about a much broader scope here than a small genre or regional thing.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:18 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
So it's really absurd to say that in 100 years all music will be made by computers. People are going to be playing guitars forever.

Of course, there will be a period of several centuries where the guitar becomes temporarily obsolete, and Geddy Lee has to discover one and stick it to the man by tuning up loudly in a temple.

DocNoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:39 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I think that originality--real originality--is vanishing faster and faster all the time. The only time everything souds fresh and new is when you're young and first experiencing everything. The older you get, the worse it all looks (sounds).

I think, business wise, music is finally finding some even ground between physical releases (which I prefer) like CD's and digital purchases. So the industry won't crash.

But ultimately, it's harder and harder to find a band with a sound, style, theme, etc that hasn't been done before. Too much generic "me-too" music.

One thing, though, is that I think trends are pretty much gone. Large-scale trends, I mean. Like 80's Hair bands, 90's Alternative, etc. There won't be eras where one style seems to rule the airwaves anymore. Thankfully, the more people who have more accessibility to wider ranges of music will probably prevent corporate stooges like MTV from defining what is and isn't popular. Part of this comes from the seeming fact that Pop Music has become a genre in and of itself, where once "Pop" was just whichever music genre/style/band was popular.

The 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's were largely defined by popular trends and styles where music was concerned. A large part of that deals with many of these then-popular styles just being born or coming into maturity at those times. Minor fads will no longer be as all-encompassing past trends had been. All those older styles still exist today, and have their fans. The internet culture helps keep people of certain tastes together thus preventing any form of music from ever again really suffering death as Disco did once the 80's got into full swing.

Coming back to my original sentiment, there really isn't much more to invent where musical styles are concerned. As I said, it's all been done. I think we're entering an era where every kind of music has it's place and it's people. Though, gradually, this will cause every style and genre to become nice and generic.

Just my personal thoughts/views.

Metal-wise, I find the majority of Black Metal bands to be painfully generic and uninteresting. One needs to do more for artistic growth than to record music with the main focus on it being "extremely raw."

This is what I was gonna say (albeit much less than that).
I think what the OP means is artistically and creatively not record sales and bands playing the same thing. There was a quote that I remember reading once, it was something like "all the ideas have been done, and people are just milking the past"

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:46 am 

I think at least we've entering a paradigm shift regarding studio recording, back in the days, people needed to go to the studio to record stuff. The technology has improved since then, and it's still improving. Nowadays more and more people record things at home, by themselves. Since the internet is also growing, we will have a shitload of new bands to check out all the time.

Satans_love_child
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 pm 

I can see real metal (that is - metal bands doing it for the love of music, and not money, fame, sex etc) dying out in the publics eye (it nearly has), but I can't see it happening to the underground. It will continue to evolve and improve, while bands like Trivium and Killswitch Engage will go out of fashion.

Same thing with other types of music. The good thing about the internet is people doing to from the heart can get heard nowadays, so in reality, there is actually more good music out there and it's easier to access.

Fast_Kill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:34 pm 

Music industry as we know and hate will become extint. If record labels dont stop this nonsence of fighting torrent, p2p, and shit they will die.

Music, however, is entirely diferent. True heartfull music cant die, it has been with us since our beginings a so it shall stay. No matter the genre, heavy metal, rock even rap, as long as it stays true, and is performed by artist with integrity it will be respected and apreciated.

I hate when people say metal is dead, fuck that shit. Yes the amount of mainstreem bands giving metal a bad name is fucked up. The amount of posers and people who dont really get it its fuked up. But Metal its not dead, there are great bands out there doing things right, there are lots of metalhead who havent become numb and nihilistics towards new music, There are those of us who love metal with so much passion its ridiculous.
Metal is not dead and I dont think it will die...

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:38 pm 

Every music has its share of 'mainstream' and shallow bands, who exploit genres to make a quick buck, that´s for sure. On the other hand, there are people and bands, who would give their last shirt, to keep it true and from the heart. And i know a few people, who make music just for music´s sake, but they will never bow down to the idea of releasing/touring/doing promotion. They only play the music for themselves and have a gig here and there, and that´s about it. It´s their way to avoid getting corrupted. And for the labels: i think most of them go by the principles of the 60ies and 70ies, with their monster-bands and the the fourfold platinum records. They don´t notice the evolutions of the last time and think they´re safe. Like all industries, they notice the evolution too late, and will slowly die one by one.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:53 pm 

kramer820 wrote:
And for the labels: i think most of them go by the principles of the 60ies and 70ies, with their monster-bands and the the fourfold platinum records. They don´t notice the evolutions of the last time and think they´re safe. Like all industries, they notice the evolution too late, and will slowly die one by one.

Give or take, this. Most of those "record sales are slipping!" reports look only at major labels. Small labels are popping up all over and are doing fairly well. The internet has made this possible, since now labels do not need to compete for store shelf space. Networks like Myspace also allow for cheap and easy promotion of new bands on smaller labels, as opposed to having to buy commercial time on television or putting ads in magazines.

The major labels, as it stands, are putting all their eggs in one basket. It worked in the 60s, 70s, and even 80s and 90s because the major labels were able to control the dissemination of information about bands. The internet has removed that control, and now people have more choice in what they listen to. If they put less money into marketing and more into signing more bands, I believe they'd increase sales. But if they can't adapt, well, it's their loss.

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:34 pm 

Yeah, i forgot to write, that it´s mostly the major labels, but even some indies damn filesharing&co. to hell. And true, myspace, youtube and others are a fine way, to promote even some of the more 'weirder' music, and such bands have it so much easier this day. And the majors should simply concentrate on releasing better music and not that plastic crap, they did since back in the eighties. Than it maybe would get a little better for them...or not (because the smaller labels got all the good stuff way before them :grin:).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.