Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:55 pm 

I personally find any age-based criteria to be inherently flawed; everyone is their own person and is personally responsible for their actions. No one needs to be officially regulated via laws and mandates for personal choices - it's rather disgusting. If they infringe upon thers, then they should be swiftly punished for their actions - but that happens anyways, right?

That said, children and so on wouldn't know any better, however by puberty plus a year or two young adults have a firm enough grasp of the world to make their own decisions, including that of drugs and alcohol.

In Canada, the drinking age is 18 or 19 in most places, and despite living in a province that's only at 18 for the drinking age, I chose not to drink until I was well into my 18th year.

I find the main problem with alcohol is that too many people often make the alcohol have the fun for them, rather than simply enjoying whatever situation they're in. This is rampant, and I really don't condone that.

That said, I drank over 40 oz of hard alcohol at my 19th birthday party and held it with the best of them, so I'm not afraid to have a good time by any means.

I drink now mainly to enhance the fun I'm already having, and I can take it or leave it with regards to alcohol.

Anyways, just my two coppers.

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Nile - User-Maat-Re

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:09 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
ng age, I chose not to drink until I was well into my 18th year.

I find the main problem with alcohol is that too many people often make the alcohol have the fun for them, rather than simply enjoying whatever situation they're in. This is rampant, and I really don't condone that.

----------------
Now playing: Nile - User-Maat-Re

Yeah right here I've already noticed after my first year in College. So many people are like "My life sucks unless I have a beer in my hand.", even when they are doing shit with their friends.

Last FM

Eveningwolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:35 pm 

Angry_Malmsteen wrote:
My grandpa one time said that in Europe they give you the alcohol, then they give you the car keys. By this he meant you were accustomed to alcohol at an earlier age than the legal limit of todays standards. This instilled a more traditional and socially acceptable behavior, at an earlier age, and a more mature approach to the subject, as opposed to an overpotective and paranoid one. This more relaxed attitude meant kids didn't partake in it as a way of rebelling.

Your teenage years are your first steps into adulthood, and teens WILL experiment with alcohol, and probably much more...You can't curb human behavior, you can control how you choose to deal with it though. In other words "teens will be teens" so provide them a safe and responsible way to do what they do. I guess it all comes down to responsibility. The more you have, the more you can drink. Age often doesn't matter, as I see adults acting like total retards all the time. One thing that is a concern would be the physical maturity of the person. Other than that, under adult supervision, underage drinking is not a big deal, but it has been created into a big deal.
This is kinda ture the legal drinking age in the UK is 18 and for spain its as low as 16. Most British kids are given alcohol in there early teens often by there Dad or mother for the 1st time when there berteen 12 and 14 this is legal in the uk as long as its in privet and with an adult. the legal driving age is 17

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:38 am 

I don't see the harm in underage children dying prematurely from liver disease and other alcohol related illnesses.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3