Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ASupervillain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:59 am 

I believe that religion is a disease. It's been destroying humanity since its beginning. Now I personally would be elated to see an atheist or anti-religion sect gain power in the modern political world and the media. My question to you is, do you think it could happen in the near future? And most of all what do you think everyone can do to help get it going? I think it's important that some sort of anti-religious faction gain power and soon. There's no way in hell we're going to sort out all of our problems in the future with religion getting in the way.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:05 am 

I am a huge beleiver of Religion and Stage being seperate, but not because I hate religion. In the US, you have the right to beleive what you want, how you want, as long as no one gets hurt. I my stance is, I think in order for everyone to get a fair shot with there beliefes, no one belief should be in the state.

The short awnser, while I agree to keep religion out of goverment, I don't agree with your idea.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:25 am 

(I can't see this thread lasting, but here's my two cents).

Religion isn't a disease, and people who think that are in the same mind set as the religious. I think it's a very one dimensional way of thinking to say that all religion has plagued humanity. Since when has there been millions of deaths in the name of Buddhism, Native American Paganism, Taoism, the Rastafari movement, or even fucking Scientology? The only ones that truly killed and because of that conquered are the monotheistic Abrahamic religions. Do those three religions truly speak for all the religions, or do they show more of what they as individual religions are?

I don't want to see the "anti-religion sect" gain power in the political world because a leader needs to make sure it can lead everyone and not just people that he happens to agree with. I'm not saying that everyone should agree with the leaders policies, but intolerance is the key to what has gotten humanity into trouble. Religion can thrive throughout the entire world as long as it doesn't deny what is fact (retard the society) and it doesn't make its way into the government.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:30 am 

I don't see religion as a disease, or sickness, or a mental disorder. While I think humanity has often used religion as a way of controlling the population, I nonetheless think that the origin of religion goes back much further: I consider the tendency of humans to seek something other/greater to be the result of evolution. I therefore think to fight against religion is to fight against something that naturally resides in us, and thus it's an extremely difficult battle. Perhaps someday the evolution of our societies/cultures will render religion so ineffectual that the overwhelming majority will disregard the natural tendency to seek something other/greater, but I have my doubts about even this happening. As time goes on, I think religions will adapt, or I should say, I think people will adapt and change their religious groups from the inside. There will be those who resist adaptation, such as young earth creationists, but as the generations pass the majority of humanity will carry religion forward and embrace necessary changes.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 am 

Religion probably started to answer questions. People long ago had a lot less understanding of the world around them. No one knew how the earth was created, so you say some spirit or god did it. What happens to people when they die? They go to an afterlife or back to the creator. Myths were started to explain what couldn't be explained. The problem is that once you accept the myth as truth, why keep looking? You would accept the myth and not pursue the true answer. What if the myth becomes law? Then no one can pursue the real answers, such has been the case in different times in history.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:15 am 

First off, I'm no big fan of religion.

Now that that's out of the way, let me remind you that, as bad as theocracies are, every example of state-mandated atheism has fared just as poorly.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:25 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
First off, I'm no big fan of religion.

Now that that's out of the way, let me remind you that, as bad as theocracies are, every example of state-mandated atheism has fared just as poorly.

I believe China, along with it's other policies, has a ban on religion.

crusthead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:24 am 

ASupervillain wrote:
I believe that religion is a disease. It's been destroying humanity since its beginning.

Youre right, It disgusts me how the world is run by fanatical religious fascists who execute anybody who dares say a word against God and Jesus. Not to mention, its outright terrifying how religious institutions control every aspect of society and media. Something must be done to end the religious menace. :roll:
Ok, now seriously, do you happen to live in a country where you suffer the above mentioned atrocities of religion? If theres no religious authority telling you how to live or censoring your favourite death/black metal band, whats the problem? I understand if your parents are very religious and try and impose their views on you. But is that really the case?

ASupervillain wrote:
Now I personally would be elated to see an atheist or anti-religion sect gain power in the modern political world and the media. My question to you is, do you think it could happen in the near future? And most of all what do you think everyone can do to help get it going? I think it's important that some sort of anti-religious faction gain power and soon. There's no way in hell we're going to sort out all of our problems in the future with religion getting in the way.

Good news for you. The answer is yes.... according to religious people who believe in that an "anti-religious faction" will gain power. :|

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:09 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
Religion probably started to answer questions. People long ago had a lot less understanding of the world around them. No one knew how the earth was created, so you say some spirit or god did it. What happens to people when they die? They go to an afterlife or back to the creator. Myths were started to explain what couldn't be explained. The problem is that once you accept the myth as truth, why keep looking? You would accept the myth and not pursue the true answer. What if the myth becomes law? Then no one can pursue the real answers, such has been the case in different times in history.

What if this 'myth' is the real answer? I mean, why dismiss the notion of god just because it was once erroneously used to explain something?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.