Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheGreatTrendkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:56 pm 

Yes, well, it might be a bit stupid topic but I'd like to see people's responses.

Since I've started listening to heavy metal I've noticed all kinds of metalheads: bald, longhaired, some dressed casually, some wearing the battle vests and army boots. But I haven't seen much, if any, who are overweight. I myself have been overweight (95,6 kilos and 1.82m tall) since leaving primary school (third year in high school now) and I've never exercised or done anything about it since it doesn't really bother me.

So my question is: why is this so? Do you guys exercise, do sports or do you live a healthy lifestyle?

And sorry if this has been discussed previously, I couldn't find any topics related.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:09 pm 

most metalheads earn their freedom by fighting in the arena, where excess weight is either trimmed away or replaced by sheer muscular might!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:18 pm 

Funny, most metalheads I see are overweight. Then again, we are the country of beer and fries.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:25 pm 

Lots of metal musicians are overweight. Metalheads? I don't know any huge ones personally, but some husky ones indeed.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:27 pm 

I don't think there is anything exclusive obviously, but there are a lot of overweight metalheads. I'm a bit overweight, not anything ridiculous but I lift weights and have been doing a lot more physical exercise in the past year to get a bit more fit. I don't think being a metalhead and physical activities have anything to do in common really.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:38 pm 

I think so many metalheads are overweight due to metal not really being about "fashion". You can look like whatever the fuck you look like and still be in a metal band, unlike most popular forms of music where looks almost mean more than talent.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:41 pm 

theposega wrote:
I think so many metalheads are overweight due to metal not really being about "fashion". You can look like whatever the fuck you look like and still be in a metal band, unlike most popular forms of music where looks almost mean more than talent.

Nah, that's not it. It's because they eat posers for breakfast and lunch.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:02 pm 

Overweight metalhead right here!

I'm one of the folks who just plain lost at genetic roulette though. I swear I'm healthy as a horse, though not as slim as your average person!

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:04 pm 

I've seen about as many overweight metalheads as I have of those of regular weight (or skinny ones). I'm not overweight, though two friends I've had are metalheads and both count as overweight, to varying degrees.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:12 pm 

I once saw a guy at Wacken who was so fat, his face was concave.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:21 pm 

High metabolism has kept me from gaining weight until very recently. Plus being in the army forces me to remain fit.

Otherwise, I haven't seen many overweight metalheads either. My stance still kind of stays the same on people who gorge and do nothing about losing their weight - which is that they should lose the weight. Then again, I don't really know any obese metalheads personally, and there are can be many reasons explaining why they are overweight.

Then again, who am I to decide who is cool and who is not based on appearance. Metal isn't about that, so anyone is invited and in that respect all I can do is say "hails!"
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:25 pm 

Heh, fat headbanger right here!

I've known quite a few fat metalheads. In contrast, there's a number of bone thin metalheads, especially with the influx of vegetarian ex-crustie types.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:38 pm 

TheGreatTrendkiller wrote:
So my question is: why is this so?

Based on what I see, I would have to disagree. I think it depends on what country you are talking about though.

Living in The States, I would have to say that metalheads are disproportionately obese when compared to the general population.

That said, having been to metal concerts throughout the world, I have found the opposite to be true; Estonia, Latvia and Bulgaria for instance, those at the concerts were quite fit and very few were obese despite the larger consumption of beer when compared to the US.

But I dont think being a metalhead has anything to do with obesity. It has more to do with the culture and soci-economic conditions. Fast food and a sedentary lifestyle seem to play a large role as well.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm 

Ive become a bit of a fat fuck now that my job is in front of a computer all day (well, I think Im fat, but everyone thinks Im ridiculous for saying so - 6' 4" 240lbs - Wii Fit says Im fat, but I used to lift weights and have wide shoulders and wide wrists - just a big guy really)

~Guest 117603
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:18 pm 

theposega wrote:
I think so many metalheads are overweight due to metal not really being about "fashion". You can look like whatever the fuck you look like as long as you have a black band t-shirt and look grim and frostbitten.

Corrected for accuracy.

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:38 pm 

I've let myself go recently (ie, last 6 years), so add another point to the fatty group. It's my fault I'm fat and I'll be the first one to admit it. Do I care? Not really.

I think most metalheads don't care about how they look, which explains why I have so many overweight friends.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:49 pm 

I used to be a fatty but after I got put away I lost about 150 pounds so now I'm not.

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:51 pm 

Cinerary wrote:
I used to be a fatty but after I got put away I lost about 150 pounds so now I'm not.

Hmm. Sounds like a good idea. My neighbor is blasting country music, so I'm off to solve two problems at once.

TheGreatTrendkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 pm 

That's quite a few posts, guys.

I forgot to mention that a few of the metalheads I know are training in martial arts so that might also be the reason.

Before I started going to high school I often played basketball or football with friends and was quite fit, but since I started going I've been very busy studying at home I sort of lost control and gained about 10-14 kilos. I've been trying to lose some of it because before I've always been fit but nowadays I don't really care about it.

Guess I just wanted to know I'm not the only one:)

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:48 pm 

I'm skinny myself (a bit over 6ft & 148 lbs). I don't really think of my weight much and eat a lot of junk, such as chips and sweets, not to mention drinking beer, sodas etc. it's just that I seem to have a high metabolism rate.

Well, I do jog on a near daily basis as well (5-7 times a week), but that's just out of routine. I feel retarded sitting on the computer all-day long as it is, so I feel like I just have to vent out some of the energy. :lol:

It's a good routine to have, regardless, seeing as some records 'open up' much more easily when listened to whilst jogging, or so I have noticed. (Not to mention the fact that I'm in a pretty good form, albeit totally lacking in strength and upper body muscles).

When it comes to my metalhead friends; about 1/3 are overweight and the rest are just more or less normal with small beer bellies. Don't have that many metalhead friends, so it's hard to make a generalisation.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:00 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
I once saw a guy at Wacken who was so fat, his face was concave.

:lol::lol::lol:

Incredible.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 pm 

I'm a big guy, and a metalhead. I don't think it matters one way or another. There's fat people in every music category, I'd assume.

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:40 pm 

overkill666 wrote:
I'm a big guy, and a metalhead. I don't think it matters one way or another. There's fat people in every music category, I'd assume.

What about pop mu-

Oh, MUSIC categories. My apologies.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:53 pm 

Don't forget the 300 lb bald mosh pit monsters. They're at every show.

death_headj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Don't forget the 300 lb bald mosh pit monsters. They're at every show.

I was damn near killed by those guys the last show I was at.

I personally know a couple of big dudes. They aren't fat, really, just bulky. I myself am one of the incredibly thin guys Muhammadabbadabba mentioned. Born with a high metabolism, I was.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:54 pm 

einvolk wrote:
Ive become a bit of a fat fuck now that my job is in front of a computer all day (well, I think Im fat, but everyone thinks Im ridiculous for saying so - 6' 4" 240lbs - Wii Fit says Im fat, but I used to lift weights and have wide shoulders and wide wrists - just a big guy really)

Apparently, a lot of the calculations for weight and BMI are inaccurate on Wii Fit.

I was wondering if anyone here used it. Do you like it? I was using it regularly (mainly aerobics) for about two hours a day, every day, for about two weeks and considering I changed my diet (cut out all the shit apart from Coke), I lost 7lbs in that time frame. I really like the Wii Fit game. I have bad social anxieties and exercise outside is usually a no-no (not because I'm a fat ass and insecure), so being able to exercise like this at home was ideal.

I fucked up my hand (think its broken still) a few weeks ago and had to stop exercising, so I slipped back into my old ways, but now that my hand is feeling a lot better (though my knuckle is still out of place), I started using it again tonight. Did 30 minutes and when I wake up, I'll do another 30 minutes and then some more at night, trying to get back into the routine of doing 2 hours a day. The aim is to lose 6lbs in 2 weeks. :) If I do, I'll be closing in on ideal.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:39 pm 

I dropped about 30 pounds over the last year. I'm currently at about 250 pounds, at 6' 0". So, I got some extra weight on me, but nothing crazy. I was born with a big frame =P. I lost 30 pounds by exercise and cutting down on my calorie intake, mainly by cutting out all shit food in my diet, such as soda, fast food and high calorie snacks.

I used to be about at an average weight, but I put on about 50 pounds over one summer for being one lazy snack cake eating bastard. I regret it, but didn't even realize I was doing it to myself until it was all over =\.

However, I have been reversing my destructive process slowly, heh. The only really sucky part about being fairly big is I can't quite fit on XL shirts, so my picks are limited, o well. I hope to drop enough to get back to XL shirts, at least that is my goal =D.

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:55 pm 

The problem with getting fat is that it happens slowly. You just wake up one morning and realize, "Holy shit, I'm fat."

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a weight loss thread right away.

Fortifiv3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:04 am 

I've seen alot of so called "metalheads" that listen to Slipknot. They are so fat. Alot of kids that listen to that poser metal band Slipknot and Korn are fat. As for "real" metalheads I haven't seen many overweight metalheads. The lead singer for Crimson Thorn and Chris Barnes are both fat.

discouraged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:08 am 

I'm stuck between L and XL shirts... it sucks - XL is too baggy and L is almost too tight. Just started losing weight as I've quit a desk job I had and have a lot more free time. Doing a lot of weights/skipping/walking ....

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:49 am 

Oh god, I can't believe how massive some of the people at metal concerts are. It's seems like they come out of fucking nowhere; it's like I never see so big of people at all normally, but if I go to a concert, I'll see like 10 of them!

I used to be pretty fat, 205 lbs at 5'8, but I lost 45 lbs and grew about an inch, and I've been hitting the weights for a while, so it's all good :)

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:52 am 

thrashfan07 wrote:
Oh god, I can't believe how massive some of the people at metal concerts are. It's seems like they come out of fucking nowhere; it's like I never see so big of people at all normally, but if I go to a concert, I'll see like 10 of them!

It's funny when they mosh, all pushing people everywhere. One time I saw a 300 pounder fall on a little kid. I wasn't at the concert, I was watching it from the internet. Not pretty, :nono:

TheIllusionist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:58 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Apparently, a lot of the calculations for weight and BMI are inaccurate on Wii Fit.

I tried the Wii Fit, and it told me I was slightly overweight. The next day I tried it again, it said I was dangerously underweight. Either I took the biggest crap of my life, or it doesn't work.

Most metalheads I see are fat and sweaty, but maybe that's because I live in Scotland. :lol:

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:30 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
einvolk wrote:

I was wondering if anyone here used it. Do you like it?
yes, I like it - I saw some improvement weithin the first two weeks, but then it kinda tapered off - I let my mother-in-law borrow it, and since she returned it it we havent got back into the routine - maybe I'll do some today! see how far off I am now

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:16 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
einvolk wrote:

BMI is shit anyway, it only takes into consideration height and weight, leaving no room for muscle mass or bone density, complete crap.

I've noticed that quite a few metalheads are proportionately bigger than the rest of the population as well, and aside from cheesy stereotypical assumptions like metal being a comfort for overweight teens or all the beer drinking associated with the scene, I can't think of a tangible reason why :ugh:.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:23 pm 

I'm a bit of a skinny rat. I've been doing a lot of bodybuilding for the last 6 months and have actually been trying to put on weight, but to no avail! I have a very strong metabolism. I'm 19.

I know a fair share of overweight metalheads. The percentage of overweight metalheads and non-metalheads seems to be pretty balanced to me, or at least where I'm from.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

pseudodraconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:52 pm 

Fortifiv3 wrote:
I've seen alot of so called "metalheads" that listen to Slipknot. They are so fat. Alot of kids that listen to that poser metal band Slipknot and Korn are fat.
I noticed the opposite in school. In fact most of them were really, really skinny. As for metalheads they usually seem to be really thin or pretty big around here. You don't see a whole lot of 'inbetween', it seems.

~Guest 160745
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:55 pm 

TheIllusionist wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

I tried the Wii Fit, and it told me I was slightly overweight. The next day I tried it again, it said I was dangerously underweight. Either I took the biggest crap of my life, or it doesn't work.

Most metalheads I see are fat and sweaty, but maybe that's because I live in Scotland. :lol:

I can vouch for that, every metal gig I've been at has a shitload of them. Hell up here there is also fat hardcore kids. Fat guys hardcore dancing is fucking hilarious let it be said.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:07 pm 

Most of the metalheads hereabouts are of average build, with a few spindly druggies and lardbucket behemoths scattered amongst. I am of average weight, maybe a touch too much 'round the midriff area, but I'll probably exercise that away now that winter's rolled around.

Lana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:08 pm 

An overweight metalhead sort of saved my life once. At a concert long ago, there was an opportunity for me to be front and center, and it was too tempting so I took it even though I knew that I would probably be crushed. I was somehow lucky though because by the time the show started, a MASSIVE guy ended up behind me and he was so enormous that he kept back the pressure from the moshpit and the crowd pushing forward that I was completely comfortable the entire time. He didn't seem to even be aware of it and he was standing about a foot or two behind me for the whole show. It was rather awesome.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next