Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:33 am 

dave haley makes the goofiest faces when drumming

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:19 am 

The coolest to me were the guys from Abacinate

http://www.myspace.com/abacinatenj

HiroshimaVacation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm 

I talked with the guitarest/singer and bassist of Intronaut. Really cool dudes, super chill.

I got autographes from Philp Cope and Laura PLeasants from Kylesa after a show. They seem pretty cool, but we didn't really talk.

I might get to open for Total Fucking Destruction in the future. I've heard Rich Hoak is a super cool dude.

ThrashMan320
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:04 pm 

I was at lollapalooza this year, and i was walking around in the artist's area and the guitarist from Rise Against comes up to me and asks about the shirt i was wearing. It was Exodus's bonded by blood. Turns out the dudes from the band are into thrash, and even though i'm not a fan of the music he plays, he was cool as hell. Turns out he also used to be in Gwar.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:46 pm 

I hung out with Nattefrost (Carpathian Forest) and Maniac (ex-Mayhem) for a long time when I was just in Oslo. I also met Faust (ex-Emperor) in passing. Everyone was very friendly and interesting to talk to.

dfarrell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:32 pm 

The lead singer of Overkill used to own a chocolate shop in Newton, nj around where I live and I run into him every once in a while in town.

MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:00 am 

i once met john butler

he's amazingly short

BummerHigh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:48 am 

Back in '07 I met Matt Pike of High on Fire at venue before their show. We were rolling a joint and came out just to smoke a cigarette. Then he came over and asked for a light. Talked with him and he had a few puffs on the joint. He told us that he just arrived from Germany, because he had spent the night in some jail downthere after a night in the town.
Really cool dude and down to earth.

slackashi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 am 

since the thread title didn't state "famous metal musician":

I met Chas Smash from Madness at a Little Chef when I was 7. Heh.

troublemagnet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:10 pm 

I yelled at Warrel Dane as I was driving down the street "Nevermore sucks! Sanctuary!!"
Met the singer of Into Eternity in 2005.
Hung out with John Connelly, Dan Liliker and Glenn Evans in'03.(signed game over)
Met Bobby Blitz and D.D. Verni in '92.
Got all of Orange Goblin to sign my cd.
Joey Belladonna signed my "State of Euphoria"
Met Joel and Phil from Toxic holocaust, and they signed "An Overdose of Death"
I met the bassist of the Sword, signed "Gods of the Earth"
I'm also friends of Scott Waters of Ultimatum fame.

metalanarchist465
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:11 pm 

I shook Alexi Laiho's hand.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:36 am 

I've met all the members of Cannibal Corpse and Amon Amarth. I also met Aborted's vocalist and gave him a promo CD for my band (I doubt he ever listened to it).

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:17 am 

I talked to a dude who went to school with Chris Reifert in 5th grade, does that count? He also seemed to have Steve Digiorgio's number on his cell phone, so that was pretty cool. Several of my friends have had more interesting encounters, such as meeting the front man of Brutal Truth or getting a beer from Jeff Walker, but unfortunately I cannot claim such an experience as my own. Well, I did briefly talk to a guy at the merch booth for a Candlemass/Daylight Dies show, and he turned out to be a guy in DD.

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:40 am 

The only times I have met band members, is at signing sessions. Most notable are Chuck Schuldiner (sadly, before I really started loving Death :() And Sepultura on the Arise tour.

DevotedWalnut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:29 pm 

Met and talked with Schmier last time they played Toronto. Really cool story about it to, but I can't be arsed to type it out.

Also met Jon Tardy last time they played Toronto. Bit of a germophobe he is.

metal_xxx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:04 pm 

Seeing as how I live in the midst of black metal, I've run into a lot of BM personel over the years. The guys from Enslaved and Helheim are often spotted and spoken to once in a while. Other than that Abbath and Gaahl hangs out on the local rock/metal pub much.

Varg actually hit a female friend of mine with his car back in the day when he wasn't in prison or out on probation or something.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 pm 

I met the members of Septic Flesh last Feburary. Seth, the Bassist/vocalist, was real cool and offered tips at bass playing as I was still fresh at that time.

biggbrown
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:25 pm 

ive met toxic holocaust

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:42 am 

Barney Greenway threw French Fries at me, Glen Benton threatened to stab me, and me and Bill Robinson from Decrepit Birth tried to piss off Winds of Plague

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:15 am 

sabbathfan4993 wrote:
Barney Greenway threw French Fries at me, Glen Benton threatened to stab me

Care to explain how that happened?

sabbathfan4993 wrote:
Bill Robinson from Decrepit Birth tried to piss off Winds of Plague

was that successful?

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:22 am 

MortalScum wrote:
sabbathfan4993 wrote:
Barney Greenway threw French Fries at me, Glen Benton threatened to stab me

Care to explain how that happened?

sabbathfan4993 wrote:
Bill Robinson from Decrepit Birth tried to piss off Winds of Plague

was that successful?

Well, my friend and I saw Napalm Death a few months ago at the house of blues chicago and th place was deserted and the barrier between the stage and the audience was taken down so we were in the dead center right against the stage. After Kataklysm, we decided to buy an order of fries that we just put on the stage and ate while we were waiting for Napalm to go on. Right when theyre about to go on we decide to give the rest of our fries to Barney. So about 10 seconds into the first song we hold up the fries for Barney and he grabs a handful of them and chucks them back at us. They play a few more songs and while Barney was just talking me and my friend started yelling "BARNEY, WE SAVED YOU SOME FRIES" to which he responded, "I'm fine thanks but I know someone who will want these and he hands them to Danny Herrera who ate them throughout the set.

A few months before that I saw Deicide at The Pearl Room on what was supposedly free hug day. I was talking to one of my buddies before the concert about how ironic it was that i was going to a Deicide concert on free hug day. My buddy said "you should give Glen Benton a hug, but careful, he might stab you." So I run into Glen Benton and I couldn't pass up the opportunity so i said "Glen, its free hug day." And he says "Hell no, I'll fuckin' stab you.

I don't know how successful I was pissing off Winds of Plague but what happened was I met Bill and we were talking for a bit about Death Metal and weed. I offered to smoke him down but he said no because he had a sore throat or something. So I run into him after Ensiferum played and I was very high. I asked him to borrow his sharpie and I wrote on a dollar bill "Kristen, I SAW YOUR TITS ON THE INTERNET!!!" and dropped it into Winds of Plague's tip jar. I don't know if they found it but Bill got a kick out of it.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:19 am 

metal_xxx wrote:
Seeing as how I live in the midst of black metal, I've run into a lot of BM personel over the years. The guys from Enslaved and Helheim are often spotted and spoken to once in a while. Other than that Abbath and Gaahl hangs out on the local rock/metal pub much.

Varg actually hit a female friend of mine with his car back in the day when he wasn't in prison or out on probation or something.

She must be honored.

hagagaga
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:47 pm 

so far, the best I've done is John Gallagher from Raven, Jeff Pinkus from the Butthole Surfers, and Andrew WK

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:02 am 

sabbathfan4993 wrote:
I asked him to borrow his sharpie and I wrote on a dollar bill "Kristen, I SAW YOUR TITS ON THE INTERNET!!!" and dropped it into Winds of Plague's tip jar. I don't know if they found it but Bill got a kick out of it.

:lol: That made my evening.

Last.fm

ThePitgoddess
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:26 am 

I don't think I've met any actual famous people, haha.

As far as metal people...
I interviewed Alex Webster from Corpse, and met all the corpse dudes.
I met all the exodus dudes when they pulled me onstage to sing with them.
I met David Vincent, who was a total dick.
All the Nile dudes, Dallas is the coolest dude ever.
Met Watain.
My ex drummed for AngelCorse and Cattle Decap, and I still talk to those dudes regularly, because we ALL dislike my ex ;)
I met Amon Amarth, they signed a viking helmet for me when they played a show on my birthday.
Met Erik Rutan when I was about 15 and it was the greatest moment of my life.
My ex was friends with Lee Harrison, so we'd hang around the whole Monstro crew.
Also met GWAR at a signing.
I guess those are the people I've met from the biggest bands...I've met the dudes from Absu, Sammy D. from goatwhore...actually all of goatwhore, Helmuth, I chat often with jardar from old man's child. I met Silenoz once outside a venue, Don Decker, all the Vicious Rumors dudes, james from helstar...

Being from Tampa, I think I've bumped into half of the old school scene, although they were too fucked up to know who was who :P

CannibalQueen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:18 pm 

I've met Paul Speckmann, drank Tequila with Dimmu Borgir (without getting laid), I've met Nattefrost and he was so drunk that he was always repeating "Sieg Heil" and "Staubsauger" the only words he knows in German, hahaha..

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:16 am 

1.) George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher (Cannibal Corpse, Paths of Possession)
2.) Paul Mazurkiewicz (Cannibal Corpse)
3.) Rob Barrett (Canibal Corpse, Solstice)
4.) Pat O' Brien (Cannibal Corpse)
5.) Alex Webster (Blotted Science, Cannibal Corpse, Hate Eternal)
6.) Paul Ryan (Origin)
7.) Bill Robinson (Decrepit Birth)
8.) Paul "Paul Ablaze" Zinay (Blackguard)
9.) One of the other members of Blackguard

MetalThrashingDan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:52 am 

I've met a bunch of people in my time, mostly from getting to shows early or waiting around afterwards. Can't even remember them all but I have photos here.

The Kataklysm guys were the first major band members I met. Was with a couple of mates, one of them saw them back stage and just walked back there, so we followed. It was pretty empty, and one of them just said 'Oh wow, we have fans!' They were about to go on stage, so we walked out pretty quickly, and after that the security was on the door.

After the '09 Soundwave festival I met a bunch of guys. Anders from In Flames was quite a twat. Didn't want to talk to anyone that didn't have a vagina. Later in the night, and after several beers, he was falling over and my mate caught him, but Anders just shoved him away and walked off without saying anything.

At the Australian leg of the Summer Slaughter tour I got to meet all the bands (Necrophagist, Dying Fetus, Aborted, and The Faceless), and they were really, really nice, all down to earth guys. Chatted to a lot of them about crap all. Got to speak with Muhammed from Necrophagist for a good half hour before the show, and then another half hour afterwards. Really cool guy.

Also met Dani Filth when Cradle Of Filth were here. I really can't stand that band, or him, but he was at the same bar I was, so I got a photo to tease my mate with, who's a big fan. Anyway, he had to have been the biggest tool on the planet. Tried to hit on every single female in the place, and apparently brought a couple back to his hotel, on separate occasions. I heard reports that he's a bit small 'down there', and had trouble getting it up. He eventually got kicked out of the place for being so drunk, and as he was being dragged out, he was screaming "Do you know who I am! You can't kick me out! I'm a celebrity!" Oh how amusing that was.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:05 am 

I've met the following bands and band members:

in random order
Nunslaughter, I booked them and they stayed at my house
Iron Man, they stayed at my house too
Revelation
Pale Divine
Tom Phillips, Rain Irving and Jim Hunter of While Heaven Wept
Argus
Gates of Slumber
Joel Grind of Toxic Holocaust
Proscriptor of Absu
Valkyrie
Ogre
Rob "the Baron" Miller of Amebix
Jason Decay of Goat Horn, Kill Cheerleader, Cauldron etc
Dan Lilker, I know him personally
Allan of Primordial
Danny Herrera of Napalm Death and Venomous Concept
Dismember
Grave
Athenar of Midnight
Averse Sefira

I'm friends with the members of Orodruin and the singer of Bludwulf too. I'm aware that not all of these bands are famous but many people on this board have most likely heard of most of these bands.

Last edited by HeavyMetalSteve on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 am 

I've met/hung out with a bunch of local musicians, but the only one worth noting for notability's sake is Sam Dunn (Headbanger's Journey, Global Metal) from Burn to Black. He seemed pretty cool and down to earth.

I also met Dream Theater twice in one day. The first time was at a signing at an HMV in Toronto. My girlfriend and I went back to the store after lunch, and ran into them again. It was probably an hour after the signing, but Mike wanted to do some shopping or something. (He was just casually walking around tossing albums into a basket... he must've had 20+ CDs/DVDs)They were all there except for John Myung, because he's a sad man...

Another notable encounter was running into Norther at a Subway beside the venue. My friends still laugh at this, because it was so surreal to see the band you're about to watch onstage waltz on in and order chocolate chip cookies and subs. We decided to eat outside, because we didn't want to bug the band (Pete seems very anti-social) but Heikki came out and talked to us/taped us for his video diary thing for the Eastern Canada tour. We didn't make it into the final cut, but it was still fun hanging out with him. The best part of the encounter was when the rest of the band came outside and some guy crossed the street with a six pack and yelled at them about how he got beer while they got subs, and how they couldn't have his beer or something. I think they knew him, so he could've been in Cryptopsy or Origin for all I know.

"While you were getting subs, I was getting beer! Fuckers."

Edit: I also know Glen Drover.

Anubis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:51 am 

Met a bunch of band members over the years, but a few definitely stick out.

My band opened for Sabbat (UK) when they played LA a little while back, and Martin being my hero, it was an honor to sit and talk life, politics and whatnot over a beer with him. He'd also called in for an interview at my old radio show.

Jason from Akercocke and I had a pretty long phone conversation around the time of Antichrist's release, which was great.

I see Gene Hoglan everywhere.

Meeting Voivod before Piggy died was great, despite it being at an Ozzfest.

I got all the guys from Nile, Gene, and King Diamond's bad to sign a Mother's Day card a few years back. It was really nice of them, and they put on a hell of a show.

Met Overkill several times, always a pleasure.

I run into Kerry King everywhere, and he's a fucking douchebag. I was in Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, and so was at the LA premiere, sat next to him, and he was just a pompous douche. Just like every other time. Even at Petsmart.

Ran into Scott Travis at an airport.

Met Alan from Primordial before their LA gig and talked about Scientology for a while.

Enslaved gave me a great interview a few months ago.

Lots of bands. I'm interviewing Vorph from Samael in a few months and can't fucking wait.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:44 am 

Danny Lilker and Rich Hoak from Brutal Truth are cool as fuck.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:47 am 

I met the bulk of the guys from Thyrfing, Primordial, and Moonsorrow when I worked the first Heathen Crusade show in Minneapolis.

I was their driver, so to speak.

My wife worked as a photographer at the show.

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:32 am 

I've never MET them, but I've talked to them through myspace, last.fm or facebook. Leah Buckareff and Aidan Baker (both of Nadja), Scott Hull and Blake Harrison (both of Pig Destroyer, Scott also does Agoraphobic Nosebleed), Jimmy Bower and Mike Williams (of Eyehategod, among others), Katherine Katz (of Salome and Agoraphobic Nosebleed), Rex Ritter (who does some stuff with Sunn O)))), Runhild Gammelsaeter (of Khlyst, Sunn O))) and Thorr's Hammer), Alan Dubin (from Khanate and O.L.D.) and James Plotkin (from the same as Alan, as well as Khlyst and Phantomsmasher).

The_XIII_Demon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:22 pm 

Peter Wildoer of Darkane is my math teacher.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:18 pm 

I met the guys from Cannibal Corpse and Behemoth at Mayhem Fest, but I don't know if that counts, considering it was at a meet n' greet stand.

Also shook Rob Dukes's hand at the Kreator/Exodus show last May...

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:40 am 

i used to chat a lot with vladimir cochet (mirrorthrone, unholy matrimony, weeping birth) a few years ago (before my msn account was hacked).
and last week i had a couple of beers with lord vampyr and got a picture with the band's female singer lady eter (freaking hot guys, and i got a picture with her)

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

FrozenOath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:10 am 

I met Dimmu Borgir last year outside the venue. Vortex and Tony Laureano were really cool guys, Silenoz and Galder talked to us and other fans, but you could tell they didn't want to be there. Mustis seemed weirded out by all the people and looked a little nervous, actually. Shagrath just kind of left the venue, waved really quick and high-tailed it to the bus before any fan could talk to him, which was kind of funny.

Also, a few months later when I saw Keep Of Kalessin, i walked from the bar to the stage and Vyl was walking from the stage to the bar and I raised my hand for a high five as I passed to see if he would do it. He did.

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:39 pm 

Tons. 75% of them turn out to be the same type of pricks you run into on a daily basis.

cremationconfetti
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:42 pm 

The_XIII_Demon wrote:
Peter Wildoer of Darkane is my math teacher.

That's so badass.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next