Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 am 

I'm going to Chicago for a few days and I'll have a day or two to wander around. I'm looking for a few good shops to browse while I'm in town. I like to check out used CD selections, so those would be preferable.

What are some shops I should check out while I'm in town? Keep in mind, I'm not really interested in vinyl. The last time I was in Chicago was 1998, so it has been a while.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:57 am 

Metal Fucking Haven

Ribos and thomash creamed about this place constantly, so I had to go last time I was in town. Yeah, I've joined the fellation squad, it really is that great.

EDIT: Okay, most of them aren't used, but you'd still be hard pressed to not find something worth buying there.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:58 am 

Metal Haven: This is easily the best store in town, although the used section isn't that big (in comparison to the rest of the store). Still, the selection is incredible and it's almost exclusively metal, so that means that you don't have to worry about weeding through that much crap (although there is, of course, some). Honestly, all things considered, I can't recommend this store enough. It's not hard to get to on public transportation (Montrose stop on the brown line) and it's not far from Kuma's Corner which is certainly not insignificant, although Kuma's is kind of hard to get to without a car. Still, very worthwhile.

Nocturnal Dominion: I don't know that much about this place because I've never been there but I hear that they have a fantastic selection of underground extreme metal. The thing is, they've got limited hours since they're not primarily a record store, so you might not be able to go.

Reckless Records: Reckless isn't primarily metal, but they've got an interesting selection and you can sometimes find some gems here, metal or otherwise. It's one of the most famous record stores in Chicago (and the first one I've mentioned that has multiple locations).

Reggie's Record Breakers: This is Reggie's record store and it's pretty big. They've got lots of used and new CDs and a decent selection. Reggie's doubles as a venue and bar so you can definitely have a good time there. Not only that, but it's conveniently located near Chinatown for some good food and the red line for easy public transportation. It's not hard to get to by car, either.

Hyde Park Records: They've got a pretty shitty metal selection but almost everything is used. You're really only going to find the more mainstream metal bands there, with a few exceptions. Hell, I was surprised to find Darkthrone and Kyuss in there. If you're in Hyde Park anyway, though, you might as well check it out.

Ultimately, all you need is Metal Haven. You will end up spending more than you'd planned on. Not only that, but they're having a sale this week beginning on Tuesday! You'll probably end up walking out with upwards of fifteen CDs if it's your first visit. (And you should go to Kuma's afterwards; I promise it will be the best, most metal day of your life thus far.)

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:04 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Metal Fucking Haven

Ribos and thomash creamed about this place constantly, so I had to go last time I was in town. Yeah, I've joined the fellation squad, it really is that great.

EDIT: Okay, most of them aren't used, but you'd still be hard pressed to not find something worth buying there.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm just going to start carrying the link in my sig. Questions where "Metal Haven" is the correct answer have been popping up with alarming frequency.

And yes, it's true that most of the CDs are not used, but Mark still has 1000+ used ones sitting around, not to mention an equally large "Reduced Price" section. Which is more than almost any of the other stores thomash mentioned have in terms of new and used metal CDs. Exception goes to Nocturnal Dominion, which I have not seen either. Reggie's focuses more on the old hard rock/heavy metal stuff than the other places, though, so if you're looking for Rainbow, Scorpions, Deep Purple, etc., Reggie's will be your best bet.

But, you know...

Metal Haven.

Pretty much all you'll need. Just know that parking will likely be a bitch. There's a small plaza across the street that usually has a spot or two open, but there's also road construction going on right there, so it may require some patience.

ogmetal

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:28 am 

These sound great. I will plan on Metal Haven first and foremost.

I had stumbled on Reggie's some weeks ago on the internet and debated staying a few extra days past my original departure date to catch the Amebix show on the 29th of May. I can't stay until that show...I certainly hope you guys are planning to go though. I don't see how you could miss one of the only North American shows.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:36 am 

ogmetal wrote:
These sound great. I will plan on Metal Haven first and foremost.

That is most wise...

ogmetal wrote:
I had stumbled on Reggie's some weeks ago on the internet and debated staying a few extra days past my original departure date to catch the Amebix show on the 29th of May. I can't stay until that show...I certainly hope you guys are planning to go though. I don't see how you could miss one of the only North American shows.

I had forgotten about that show! Assuming that I'll still have money after MDF, I'll definitely go.

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:40 am 

The old Metal Haven on Belmont was impossible to park at, the new spot on Montrose is pretty easy.

It's been a few years since I've been to a Reckless, the one on Broadway (over by where the old Metal Haven was) was the better of the chain...don't know if it's still the case. Rolling Stone records used to be great, don't know how they are anymore.

Honestly I haven't stepped foot into a legitimate record store in probably a good two years or so, just shop online - Stonerrock.com, Battlekommand.com, eGay, and Metalhaven.com (it's actually cheaper for Mark to Media Mail me a package of CD's than what I'd spend in gas for my truck to get up there and back from the South suburbs!).

ogmetal

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:47 am 

I stopped by Metal Haven yesterday and bought a few CDs. Everything was cheaper than the price he had marked, which was a pleasant surprise. I didn't pay more than 11 for any CD.

I spent about an hour in the store, but I really needed more time to take in all the items...just too much to look at in one hour. It really was cool. Mark didn't seem like the friendliest dude in town, but I didn't care since there was a ton of good metal. I'm glad I checked the website before going there because he didn't open until 1pm.

I found out that my aunt's husband has a brother that owns a building right around the corner. He offered me keys to one of the apartments whenever I'm in town.

CDs I bought:

Overthrow - Within Suffering (Definitive)
Amebix - Monolith
Terrorama - Horrid Efface
Flagelador - A Noite do Ceifador
Type O Negative - Slow, Deep and Hard - used

Thanks for the recommendation. Next time I'm in town I'll make another trip there.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:15 am 

Ooh yeah, forgot to mention the sale, I think. Everything up to $15.99 was now $10.99 and stuff higher than that was 25% off. (Cheaper stuff had its other rules, but he had flyers up for that.)

What time did you get there? thomash and I jumped in with another friend of ours around 5:30 or so, stuck around for almost an hour. There was someone else there digging around... perhaps that was you?

ogmetal

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:43 am 

Ribos wrote:
Ooh yeah, forgot to mention the sale, I think. Everything up to $15.99 was now $10.99 and stuff higher than that was 25% off. (Cheaper stuff had its other rules, but he had flyers up for that.)

What time did you get there? thomash and I jumped in with another friend of ours around 5:30 or so, stuck around for almost an hour. There was someone else there digging around... perhaps that was you?

No, I was there soon after he opened up. I had a lot of things to do so I wanted to get there early...or as early as I could. haha

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:57 pm 

ogmetal wrote:
CDs I bought:

Type O Negative - Slow, Deep and Hard - used
My favorite album by them. How much did you end up paying for that one?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:41 am 

Hey, Metal Haven's 9 minutes away from where I'll be fencing tomorrow...I'm thinking a stop is in order! Might anyone else be there?

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:44 am 

ogmetal wrote:
No, I was there soon after he opened up. I had a lot of things to do so I wanted to get there early...or as early as I could. haha

Huh... Mark came in part-way through our visit... no idea if he had been there earlier, or if it was just The Minion (seriously, we don't know his real name and he won't tell anyone) running things. The Minion is pretty stoic all around, so I wouldn't be too surprised if he wasn't exactly friendly. Mark's usually pretty nice, though. Sure it was Mark and not Minion?

Oh, and Gnu: since I was just there the other day and thomash is off at MDF, I doubt anyone from the board will be in town (unless someone else is visiting). On the upside, though... you get to take advantage of the sale! Hope things won't have been too cleared out for you, but he does restock on Fridays, so you should be good.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:36 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Oh, and Gnu: since I was just there the other day and thomash is off at MDF, I doubt anyone from the board will be in town (unless someone else is visiting). On the upside, though... you get to take advantage of the sale! Hope things won't have been too cleared out for you, but he does restock on Fridays, so you should be good.

Yup, new car couple with reduced work hours due to summer have pushed my plans back a few weeks. I'll mention something in the FFA when I finally go, but it won't be for a few weeks.

Which sucks because I really wanted in on that sale.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:01 pm 

WOW, that was amazing. I was just about speechless when I stepped in and saw the giant suit of armor while the speakers were blasting Kalmah's "They Will Return" :headbang:.

After a ton of deliberation (limited myself to spending 50 bucks) I wound up nabbing Samael's "Passage" and "Exodus" used as well as "The Principle of Evil Made Flesh" and Finsterforst's newest. There was still a load I was looking at, so I think I know what my plans after the next tournament in June will be...

I'm so pumped about finding those two Samael CDs, I had been looking all over for them only to find the exact ones I was looking for sitting right next to each other.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.