Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:12 pm 

not really expecting to get my questions answered being that this isn't a car forum, but if anyone here knows anything about old cars, I figure it'd be worth a try. Here is a video of a cold start of my 88' Chevy Caprice Classic 305 4bbl. It runs a little lean and it runs rather rough (more than normal) on a cold start. If anyone knows a thing or two about carburators, let me know because I think it's my choke pull off switch..but I rather not fuck with it and then cause myself to get stranded somewhere. I've been to my share of forums for the car, but none of them are even remotely active so it's really difficult to even get a response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NSLLPc ... annel_page

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:23 pm 

i wouldn't know a damn thing about American cars. Been watching a lot of British "Top Gear" lately which has really rekindled my love of sports cars. anyone else seen that delicious Lamborghini Reventon? its half Jet-Fighter for fucks sake. phenomenal machine!

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:56 pm 

You guys know that section at the Mazda Laguna Seca where there's a sudden decline and turn at the same time?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/17/mont ... nds-with-t

It's gonna cost millions to repair that classic.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:57 am 

I know it well, thanks to Gran Turismo 2 (and the later ones). I loved taking the track the other way round to test underpowered cars (like a 20-hp Fiat 500) in the steep slope.

death_headj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:35 am 

Last night, two of my friends and I saw a 1969 Dodge Charger in the parking lot of a WAWA. Not only that, but it was one of the cars used in the original Dukes of Hazzard. Holy shit.

My current dream cars:
1969 Pontiac GTO
1970 Plymouth Barracuda

Does anyone know what the insurance costs for such vehicles would be like?

bradcapo12
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:33 am 

Interesting thought, i completely agree with your perspective

comparatif simulation taux pret auto -taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:22 pm 

death_headj wrote:
Last night, two of my friends and I saw a 1969 Dodge Charger in the parking lot of a WAWA. Not only that, but it was one of the cars used in the original Dukes of Hazzard. Holy shit.

My current dream cars:
1969 Pontiac GTO
1970 Plymouth Barracuda

Does anyone know what the insurance costs for such vehicles would be like?

I'm betting it would depend on how much you drive it. It might pay to shop around.

I love my 1986 Monte Carlo LS (305 V8, 4-barrel carb, dual exhaust) but I've always dreamed of having a Chevelle.

The new Camaro is one badass looking car though, and it can perform.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:08 pm 

I drive a 2008 honda civic sedan. I love this car. Smooth and very reliable. The engine is only 140hp but when I get the RPM over 4000 it begins to get a nice kick to it.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:35 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:

I love my 1986 Monte Carlo LS (305 V8, 4-barrel carb, dual exhaust) but I've always dreamed of having a Chevelle.

I got the 305 LG4 4bbl as well, except mine is in an 88 Caprice. Not the best performance motor, but fucking reliable. I haven't done any performance upgrades to it, but my carb does need a rebuild so when I do that I will swap the intake and maybe get headers/dual exhaust. Don't know if I'd do the cam because I feel bad replacing things unnecessarily. My current intake manifold was leaking a little bit of coolant due to a broken fitting (this happened because some asshole before me decided to patch the radiator instead of replacing it.....) I replaced the fitting, but I'd feel safer with a new intake manifold after the carb gets rebuild...After all, this car is my daily driver so I'd like to be on the safer side when replacing stuff. Onlything I don't like about our 305 is the way the exhaust manifold is setup...doing the plugs/wires on this car takes all day if you want to do it right :( Aside from that, the car is a pleasure to work on.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:11 am 

Rampant_Fuck wrote:

IOnlything I don't like about our 305 is the way the exhaust manifold is setup...doing the plugs/wires on this car takes all day if you want to do it right :( Aside from that, the car is a pleasure to work on.

You aint kidding. The driver's side is a real pain.

BTW, some prick backed into my car a couple of nights ago. Little bastard.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:41 pm 

^that's a shame. I've had my car for 2 years and it's never been the greatest looking car because the hood and trunk were completely flat. However, these past few days, I bought some compound and wax and went nuts on the hood and trunk. I got it looking pretty good. I also recently replaced all of my shocks and brakes so the car rides nice. The 305 runs fucking clean and doesn't burn any oil....compared to my Ford 302 which burned about 1 qt every 2 weeks......Overall, I think it makes a great daily driver, but the car could definitely use a 383.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:28 am 

It took a hell of a lot longer than I would have liked, but I finally have my '88 300zx road ready and whatnot. It passed inspection, ghetto-rigged mechanical oil pressure gauge and all.

The car is a pleasure to drive. The suspension is incredibly stiff (it's like the wheels are bolted straight to the frame or something) but that really helps apply all that torque. It's a quick little thing, lemme tell you, and it handles like a dream. Now I've just gotta wax it and wash it all over again, as it was sitting under a tree the whole time it was being worked on and has a couple of greasy fingerprints here and there.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 am 

I have an 87 Camaro. I had a 78 as well as an 84, but they both met a grisly fate early on. This one has lasted over seven years, though it's cost me an arm and a leg in the last few...

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:35 pm 

Visionary wrote:
I drive a 2008 honda civic sedan. I love this car. Smooth and very reliable. The engine is only 140hp but when I get the RPM over 4000 it begins to get a nice kick to it.

140hp is sufficient for that type of car. I myself drive an '04 Mazda3 with a 148hp engine and, while the automatic makes it a little sluggish, especially at low rpm, it can work wonders at higher speeds. I've heard good things about new Civics and they actually look good for once, although I prefer either the coupe or the Acura CSX version (Canada-only). Coming from a person who generally hates small Jap compacts, that's high praise.

Acquisition of a Mercedes-Benz is still my top priority in terms of automobiles.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:50 pm 

140 horse is more than plenty for compact vehicles such as the civics. Be glad you don't have an 80's smog ridden motor. Try 90 horse on your car and then complain. Big American V8's only had an average of 150 horsepower in the 80's. Granted, they were still good motors...just plagued by low compression and spider webs of worthless emission devices. I personally drive an 88 Chevy Caprice classic with the 305 which in stock form had 170 hp and 250 lbs torque. After tearing all the emissions crap outta there and tuning the carburetor differently, I instantly have 200 horse and 300 lbs torque hahaha. Add a new intake manifold, headers, and exhaust and you will have another 50-60 horsepower and a cleaner running motor.

werebear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm 

I wish I had not sold my Audi Quantum. It was my first car.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:47 pm 

My first vehicle, which I'm still driving, is a rusted out, red gray and blue 1973 Chevy Silverado, which was stolen from Mexico and has no vin number. Additionally, the original bed was swapped out several decades back, and the one which replaced it is slightly too large for the cab. It's a pretty awesome vehicle, I'd say :lol:

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:07 pm 

^that's fucking hilarious. Does it at least run well? What motor you got?

thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:04 pm 

Once I can afford it, I'm hoping to get an older German-made car.
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:46 am 

thrashmaniac111 wrote:
Once I can afford it, I'm hoping to get an older German-made car.

Hear hear. Mercedes-Benz for the win. BMW is also known to have made one or two good cars.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 am 

Behold the beast!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:26 pm 

94 camaro...350 lt1 makes about 400hp now. Biggest waste of money ever.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:43 pm 

I'm glad it rained here the last couple of days, now the outside of my car is clean. I have to park under a tree in front of my house and my car gets so filthy so fast.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:54 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

How is a 400hp Camaro a waste of money?!? Sounds awesome to me.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:29 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Its a real money pit. I never said it was always running right :)
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:06 pm 

Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
I'm glad it rained here the last couple of days, now the outside of my car is clean. I have to park under a tree in front of my house and my car gets so filthy so fast.

Damn, nevermind, while the rain dried a crapload of pollen stuck to my car. I had to finally wash it. Lesson learned.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:51 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Its a real money pit. I never said it was always running right :)

I don't know man...all the LT1's I've encountered run so damn well..granted they don't have 400hp. My brothers 95 9c1 caprice has 220k on it and his LT1 runs no worse than my 305 with half the miles.

Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:36 pm 

First car was a 2000 Ford Contour, which was decent enough, but not really good for me, since I live out in the country and need to be able to haul hay and horse tack, not to mention if I ever get a trailer, an actual horse. 'bout a year and a half ago my dad bought me a 2008 Chevy Silverado LS with a V8 through his company, for which I am forever grateful. I love it 'til death, still act like it's brand new.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:28 pm 

anyone else think that the KOENIGSEGG CCXR is possibly the sweetest damn supercar ever?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 pm 

Koenigsegg CCXR

Last edited by DeathRiderDoom on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm 

I'd hit that. Also, it apparently can hit 259 mph. That's like...silly-fast.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I'd hit that. Also, it apparently can hit 259 mph. That's like...silly-fast.

it is absolutely insane right? i'd definately have that in my dream garage - probably in spot one. I'm also a very big fan of this - it's the Ascari KZ1 - a small, limited production supercar company out of England.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:40 am 

The first vehicle I purchased with my own money:
1988 2-Door Chevy Blazer (mine was actually 2-tone grey).

It's replacement after racking up 70,000+ miles in two years of pizza delivery and a girlfriend that lived 90 minutes away--topping off at 242,000 miles, beaten--in my family at least--only by my Dad's 1979 Chrysler LeBaron which had 245,000 miles on it:
1998 4-Door Chevy Blazer (also not a picture of mine, but the color is correct).

And the replacement of the ill-fated 98 Blazer:
Also not mine, but the right color. 2009 Jeep Patriot. First vehicle I've ever purchased brand new--literally from the sales floor as they were clearing out their stock of 2009 models to make way for the 2010s.

With all the SUV's, some of you probably think I hate the environment. But I don't. I just hate Al Gore. Besides, I like sitting up high.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:43 pm 

Rampant_Fuck wrote:
140 horse is more than plenty for compact vehicles such as the civics. Be glad you don't have an 80's smog ridden motor. Try 90 horse on your car and then complain. Big American V8's only had an average of 150 horsepower in the 80's. Granted, they were still good motors...just plagued by low compression and spider webs of worthless emission devices. I personally drive an 88 Chevy Caprice classic with the 305 which in stock form had 170 hp and 250 lbs torque. After tearing all the emissions crap outta there and tuning the carburetor differently, I instantly have 200 horse and 300 lbs torque hahaha. Add a new intake manifold, headers, and exhaust and you will have another 50-60 horsepower and a cleaner running motor.

My dad basically did that to an El Camino. The exhaust was straigt pipes with nothing but glass packs. Loud as hell and fast as hell. I got my first speeding ticket on that machine.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:42 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I got my great grandmother's 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix after she died... nary a month away from my 16th birthday. It lasted nearly a year before the engine seized. I kept up on the maintenance well enough and I was careful about my oil changes, but when I pulled the oil dipstick out after it had stalled on me a few times whilst driving, it was caked with a good amount of sludge. I barely got the thing home before it was declared DOA.

The 81 grand prix is sa nice ride man. Fucking rare nowadays. I confuse them with monte carlos. What motor did you have? Was it the pontiac 301 or did it have a chevy motor? If it had the 3.8 v6 or the 4.4 v8 it was probably a dog..but a nice ride either way. I drive an 88 chevy caprice which came optioned with all the same motors as the pontiac did and am just curious as to what motor you had.

Honestly, your motor probably seized because you were using the wrong oil. My brother seized his camaro last winter while using 20-50 grade oil. It could be some other reasons..but as long as your fluid levels were to specs, theres no reason why that motor would just seize up. Either way, that really fucking sucks.....I'd hate to switch from that to a modern car haha.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:54 pm 

anyone here heard of this? Zenvo ST-1. New Danish supercar company, only 15 of these to be built. ultra-exclusive.

apparently the task given to the design team was to "design a supercar that looks like no other supercar" - i think they've achieved that.

kaustic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:13 am 

Musick wrote:
What car would you like to have?

My 2nd car, a black on black '69 Camaro SS 396 ( w/ the 427)

Ah, I would like that car.
http://www.bcautos.com/musclecars/1969camaro.html

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:19 pm 

I've been pulled twice for speeding in the last 4 months. The first one I deserved (87mph in a 55 zone) but the second one was not intentional. Turns out my speedometer is about 10mph under at highway speeds. There's times when I've probably hit 100mph and not known it! My lawyer has been making some money, lately. :)

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
I've been pulled twice for speeding in the last 4 months. The first one I deserved (87mph in a 55 zone) but the second one was not intentional. Turns out my speedometer is about 10mph under at highway speeds. There's times when I've probably hit 100mph and not known it! My lawyer has been making some money, lately. :)

^I just did a 91 in a 55 mph. .and got caught. Fucking going to throw out close to 2k of minimum wage money on this one....

How much did you end up spending in total with regard to the court fees/lawyer? Also, how many points did you end up with? I'm trying to work out a deal where I get my license suspended for 30 days and end up with zero points. I rather have no license than throw out another 1k per year on insurance. I have zero points, and this fucking pig gave me 3 tickets when he pulled me over. Here in New Jersey speeding is also careless driving..and on top of that he gave me a ticket for "failure to keep right" which isutter bullshit. It's a total of 9 points all in one shot...so hopefully I can end up with minimal points even if it means losing my license for a while.

Filozofem
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:10 am 

Volkswagen, anybody? Mine is a Golf 3, 75 PS. A young classic. I'll take some pictures.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next