Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 pm 

So I figure we got one of these in the Metal board, why not a non-metal one? What are the best non-metal albums you've heard this year, what are you waiting to come out, etc

So far some of my favourites have been:

Jeff Rosenstock - Post

Fun pop-punk/power pop with some grandiose songwriting here and there. Very catchy and fun.

No Age - Snares Like a Haircut

A noisy, hazy punk/rock record with an ear for hooks and dreamy atmosphere

Porches - The House

My favourite so far, a bit more 90s techno influence that their last album (which was a favourite of mine in 2016). Just some great, heart felt song writing and melodies here. Find Me is a great single with a wonderful build to the chorus, Country has some amazingly beautiful harmonies, it's pretty great front to back though.

JPEGMAFIA - Veteran

Noisy and avant guard hip hop. The obvious cultural touchstone nowadays would have someone maybe compare them to Death Grips, but it's pretty different, definitely way more rooted in regular hip hop. Some great beats on this one, though, and some great lyrics too.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 am 

I haven't listened to much non-metal from 2018 yet, but the latest from Long Distance Calling and Somali Yacht Club are both great instrumental post-rock albums. Avations' The Light Years shows promise in places, but some of the songs are all over the place and it makes for an incohesive record. They are clearly talented, but really have to work on songwriting.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 am 

Thanks for starting this thread. I need to dig into some non-metal stuff as well.

So far this year, I've only heard two albums:

First Aid Kit - Ruins
An album that I liked it a lot. Very heartfelt folk/americana with beautiful vocal harmonies. Also, the arrangements seemed very clever to me upon first listen.

Fu Manchu - Clone Of The Universe
Borderline metal, but not on the archives. Nothing new in the land of stoner rock/psych, but the songs are fine and have a bit of a punkish edge, and they did an 18-minute sprawling track with Alex Lifeson as guest which has a fair share of good ideas and soundscapes.

I also heard good stuff about Pendant - Make Me Know You Sweet, will have to get into that one of these days.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 am 

harms way - transhuman
is a 90s metalcore banger with a bit of a industrial feel to it. Certainly not the sugary lame kind of metalcore.

Pianos become the teeth - wait for love
they left behind the skramz elements and are now more of a mix between post-punk and post-rock

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 pm 

That Harm's Way album indeed rules, I neglected to mention it because I tend to think of metal/hardcore/metalcore under the same umbrella so to speak. I've only heard it once but it left a pretty big impression on me.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:39 am 

Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers
I wasn't really into it the first couple times I heard it, but it's grown on me A LOT. It's probably a couple songs too long (Proof Of Life could have been left off, for sure). A lot of it sounds familiar, which isn't always a bad thing.

The Thing With Five Eyes - Noirabeque
Bizarre jazz/trip hop/world music thing that I stumbled across by accident. Really like this one.

Jim Cuddy - Constellation
Again, nothing groundbreaking here. All of these songs could have worked with his band, Blue Rodeo. They're simple folk/country songs, but the vocals are smooth as ever, and his backing band are tasteful.

Reply to topic