* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm 

Too bad about the rogue like part...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 pm 

Too bad for you, way better for me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:30 am 

Yeah, I'll stick to games that happen to have level design in them.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:24 pm 

Valve is not your friend, and Steam is not healthy for gaming

Fantastic article, regardless of where it's posted. Definitely worth a read if you're a regular Steam customer.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:32 pm 

Oh man, the new Assetto Corsa Update features amazing new AI. I've been playing it all day. Is there anybody who plays racing games/sims here?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:35 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

Fantastic article, regardless of where it's posted. Definitely worth a read if you're a regular Steam customer.

Dang, and this whole time I thought Steam was providing a convenient service and cheap prices on things I like.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 pm 

why wrote:
Oh man, the new Assetto Corsa Update features amazing new AI. I've been playing it all day. Is there anybody who plays racing games/sims here?

I really dig the Forza series, but I haven't been keeping up with it after 4. Didn't care much for Horizon, either. That's awesome about Assetto Corsa though, that game looks amazing! Seems like it has a better track selection too; I have no idea why Imola still isn't in Forza. Does Assetto Corsa have many options for car customization?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:03 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Dang, and this whole time I thought Steam was providing a convenient service and cheap prices on things I like.

That's, hopefully rather obviously, almost completely irrelevant to the point of the article.

And GOG.com is a helluva lot more convenient than Steam, by pretty much any possible measure. Lightning-fast client? Sure. Don't want that client running whenever you play a game? That's fine too. Don't even want to even install a client? No problem there either. Fair regional pricing? Yup.

Or how about EA's Origin, that gives out excellent classic EA games every month freely at their expense, and gave full-refunds ages before Steam could even comprehend such a malevolently vile 100% pro-consumer prospect (and even now, Origin's refund process is far superior to Steam's).

Come on now. Valve is only on top because they happened to be there first; they themselves are inferior in every way to the majority of their competitors.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:26 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
why wrote:

I really dig the Forza series, but I haven't been keeping up with it after 4. Didn't care much for Horizon, either. That's awesome about Assetto Corsa though, that game looks amazing! Seems like it has a better track selection too; I have no idea why Imola still isn't in Forza. Does Assetto Corsa have many options for car customization?

There's a lot of tuning, but next to no modding. Most cars have different colors, but that's about it when it comes to looks. There are also some preset modifications to some cars. The Ferrari 458 Italia comes in street and racing configurations for example. But you can do stuff like apply different tyre pressures to balance them out after they're heated up, tune gears, breaks, turbo (if the car has it), fine tune ABS and Traction control and much more stuff like that. I don't know how this game plays with a controller though, haven't raced a single minute in it without a racing wheel.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:22 pm 

why wrote:
There's a lot of tuning, but next to no modding. Most cars have different colors, but that's about it when it comes to looks. There are also some preset modifications to some cars. The Ferrari 458 Italia comes in street and racing configurations for example. But you can do stuff like apply different tyre pressures to balance them out after they're heated up, tune gears, breaks, turbo (if the car has it), fine tune ABS and Traction control and much more stuff like that. I don't know how this game plays with a controller though, haven't raced a single minute in it without a racing wheel.

Cool, cool, thanks for the detailed response! I bet using the racing wheel is fun as hell, especially if it sounds like there's a pretty dedicated tuning system that's actually consequential to how the car handles. Part of the reason why I never liked Gran Turismo.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:51 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Or how about EA's Origin, that gives out excellent classic EA games

lol

Also,

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:01 pm 

Uh, you ARE aware EA has been publishing games since the mid-80's, and they've published such totally-not-classics as Crusader: No Remorse (which I picked up for free from Origin), Crysis, Wing Commander: Privateer and the inimical Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom, the hilarious and groundbreaking Theme Hospital, many of the best Ultima games, many of the best Sid Meier's games, System Shock 2, American McGee's Alice, Nox (imho better than Diablo), many of the best C&C games (also the worst lol, and admittedly drove the series into the ground)... and on and on.

They've published a fuckton of classics, no doubt about it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:28 pm 

Why does everything have to be fucking perfect all the time? Valve and Steam aren't perfect, no. They're in it to make money, not suck our dicks. But that's the same with all the other companies, too. The only reason Origin and other competitors are offering things Steam doesn't is because, y'know, they're trying to compete. Do we really need to get into all the things Steam has that its competitors don't?

Also, I hope you realize how ridiculous you sound when you accuse Valve of being a Big Evil Corporation and then champion EA. EA single-handedly destroyed C&C, which was one of my favorite franchises, for no good reason. They did the same to plenty of others. Fuck EA.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:57 am 

darkeningday wrote:
That's, hopefully rather obviously, almost completely irrelevant to the point of the article.

And GOG.com is a helluva lot more convenient than Steam, by pretty much any possible measure. Lightning-fast client? Sure. Don't want that client running whenever you play a game? That's fine too. Don't even want to even install a client? No problem there either. Fair regional pricing? Yup.

Or how about EA's Origin, that gives out excellent classic EA games every month freely at their expense, and gave full-refunds ages before Steam could even comprehend such a malevolently vile 100% pro-consumer prospect (and even now, Origin's refund process is far superior to Steam's).

Come on now. Valve is only on top because they happened to be there first; they themselves are inferior in every way to the majority of their competitors.

Things Steam has that other clients don't have (or at least, not all of them:

- Universal refunds, no questions asked. Origin only offers refunds on EA games, and only within 24 hours of launching the game. GOG only offers refunds for technical issues (which doesn't include things like your PC not being able to run it well, so you're SOL if you're just getting shitty performance) and requires you to do extensive troubleshooting with their tech support before they'll cough up the money.
- Better prices
- Download servers that aren't located in the furthest corners of Siberia
- Much more expansive library
- Built-in mod support
- Steam Controller support (you have to add Origin games to Steam to use the controller, which is an incredibly convoluted process because EA doesn't want you running games on Steam)
- Linux and Mac support
- Early Access
- Updates download in the background
- Vastly superior community features
- Big Picture Mode
- Family Sharing

Those are just the things I use on a regular basis.

For some reason you are citing Origin as a good alternative. I have Origin installed. I've bought a few games on it but it probably comes out to less than 1 game a year since I've installed it since it fails the very minimum requirement of if I search a game, I will most likely find it and be able to buy it. Look at the top 100 games on Steam of current players. Pick a dozen of them and search them in Origin. You will most likely not find any of them. Origin in its current state is not a good alternative to Steam. Ubisoft games are on Origin but Rainbow Six Seige isn't. GOG, a DRM free store has more games than it.

As a client it doesn't handle multiple installation directories. It doesn't have community sections for games like Steam and GOG. I don't see any counterpart to Steam groups or anything like friend activity page. It doesn't have anything like Steam Workshop. It doesn't have any support for Linux; GOG Galaxy doesn't but it's planned so people have to download the games without a client on Linux currently. As a store it doesn't support or show any user reviews. If a game is buggy on Steam, it's really easy to find out. Discover-ability of games is a wash because there's little to discover. So few games, recommendation algorithms can't show whether they're any good. Origin library doesn't let you categorize games. Origin functions well solely as video game store and it doesn't even have many games. The last month 2 games have released on Origin, Syberia 3 and The Surge. Quality varies wildly on Steam but it gets almost everything.

Origin is not a good alternative. It is a basic alternative. This store is touted on certain forums but rarely anywhere else because the reality is that Origin is not a good alternative. It's more comparable to Steam of 2007 but with a modern interface design.

- - -

Here's a truth nugget for those following this thread who don't really pay too much attention to the PC space: none of the "alternatives" touted for Steam provide a comparable feature set. Even GoG, which I personally am hugely in favor of philosophically, fails to match Steam in terms of features, and it's quite the gap too.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:56 am 

Read the original article that I linked, for the frame of reference: link

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:21 am 

I have read the article. It's got this absurdly adversarial tone that would make Gawker blush, and is rather poorly researched. Like, maybe he should look up the definition of "monopoly" in the dictionary at some point.

More importantly, it means nothing to the level-headed average consumer who already knows that no corporation ever has been or will be their friend, nor do any exist with spotless records. Instead we as consumers seek out the best service for our needs, and to that end Valve provides one that is by far the best. There's no pro/con game out there you'll play with services like this (or really any other) where you'll not have some damning things on the con-side. But, just like every consumer, it's up to you to decide if that's worth it for you or not, and clearly many people (both consumers and developers) have decided that Steam is very much worth it.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 am 

The Origin app is by far the worst piece of gaming-related garbage I have ever installed in my life. Every time there's an update, it downloads all the way and then fails to install, and I have to uninstall and reinstall Origin all over again, every time. Their game updates are just as terrible, not working half the time. Not to mention that their client is super slow and sluggish in its latest version. All these problems I've never had with any other client. Sure, I like me some of the games on Origin (maybe 3 at most), but those people can't write a good app to save their lives.

The Red Snifit wrote:
Origin is not a good alternative. It is a basic alternative.

It's not an alternative, period.

Oh, can you guess what time it is? It's time to update uninstall Origin again! Actually, since I'm not playing any games on there right now (and probably won't in the foreseeable future) then I guess I'm not gonna bother re-installing it again anytime soon. Fuckin' trash.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:13 am 

anyone interested in destiny 2? from what i have seen its pretty much the first game

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:14 am 

I'm keeping my ears perked for it because the friends I have who play it absolutely love it, but I'm not expecting too much.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I'm keeping my ears perked for it because the friends I have who play it absolutely love it, but I'm not expecting too much.

personally i didnt have any interest in destiny due to pretty much zero story line but now i have playstation plus if they can remove the most garbage parts of the game(how repetitive it is, the bosses who were just a big normal enemy with a huge HP pool, i think it could be fun but i from what i have seen which is about 30 minutes of gameplay is just the same thing, i think it could be fun with friends at times but that is about it

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:43 am 

Cracked actually posted a Robert Brockway article digging into the unused story for the game.

darkeningday wrote:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Cracked actually posted a Robert Brockway article digging into the unused story for the game.

thank you for posting that, sounds way more interesting then a story of completely nothing, the higher ups were insane to decide the story needed to be re written in 2 weeks, hopefully they learned their lesson but i still dont have much hope, i know the dlc did add some story

on the surge, i just finally made progress for the first time in days and it just feels amazing exploring new places, i mean i know what the environments will look like because a lot of them look the same but it still feels very rewarding and tense when you have a lot of scrap/souls on you

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
anyone interested in destiny 2? from what i have seen its pretty much the first game

It's the what?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 am 

Talented Juli wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

It's the what?

my wording was garbage but it pretty much looks like the first game, if someone told me i was watching destiny gameplay i would have believed it

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:39 am 

Far Cry 5's distant foreign land ruled by a crazed despot is the United States. Montana, specifically.

Super excited to see this game.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:55 pm 

Is it meant to be tackling a religious cult or some radical militia?

darkeningday wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:55 pm 

This looks pretty fucking metal!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/82 ... r-platform

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:34 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Is it meant to be tackling a religious cult or some radical militia?

They've only shown teasers so far. I guess they're doing a full reveal on the 26th.

All teasers there.

Edit.... Is that trailer not playing? What the hell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQGJgkEEkr0

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

It does. The aesthetic seems like a cool spin on the whole "sinister Christian imagery" deal, and the gameplay looks fairly tight. Pretty hot stuff.

Also, that giant blindfolded baby is creepy as fuck.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:28 pm 

^Very, very cool, colour me interested.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:47 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Hmmm...

Seems on point.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:19 pm 

Dude, I'm all about it. Pixel art looks top notch and like Xlxlx said, the creepy Christian imagery is a great motif.

Spoiler: show

This kinda concerns me though. Feels a bit gimmicky and I feel like it'd get super old after seeing it the first dozen times. Makes me think some of the "smooth animations created pixel by pixel, frame by frame" is effort better spent someplace other than theatrics you have little agency in.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:28 pm 

Well of course they're going to show off gimmicks, they can't condense complex mechanics or excellent level design into a gif. Gimmicks are what get people interested.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:26 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Well of course they're going to show off gimmicks, they can't condense complex mechanics or excellent level design into a gif. Gimmicks are what get people interested.

Personally, the gif directly below it gets me way more interested in the game than a prebaked death animation that looks like Bloodstorm. But I get your point, their marketing must be good if they met their goal in less than a day!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:30 pm 

Prebaked death animations are basically the only reason anyone ever cared about Mortal Kombat. Cool ridiculous gory shit gets people excited, regardless of how "in control" the player is. I agree with you that solid mechanics should be more of a draw than gimmicks, but this is marketing we're talking about. I have a friend who's super duper into fighting games, has $200 fight sticks, and analyzes frame-by-frame breakdowns of each character's moves. The game mechanics shit that he looks for in fighting games would send the average gamer directly into a boredom coma.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:12 pm 

Very good point, that's pretty much the only thing that got me into Mortal Kombat, Eternal Champions, etc. And I'll admit, that animation is really, really well done. Definitely looking forward to seeing more. (Damn, your friend is probably the person that always kicks my ass when I play Skullgirls online lol)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 pm 

I've been playing the heck out of Underrail. Highly recommended for isometric RPG fans, and especially Fallout 1/2 fans.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:01 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Prebaked death animations are basically the only reason anyone ever cared about Mortal Kombat. Cool ridiculous gory shit gets people excited, regardless of how "in control" the player is.

Case in point: Shadow of Mordor. Just about the only fun thing about it was watching the gory uruk murdering animations. :lol:

That said, I think you can do badass kill animations right, if you make it the reward of skillful play/good timing (e.g. parry -> ripostes in Souls games, or better yet, gun stagger -> visceral attacks in Bloodborne), it becomes far more interesting and of course, less gimmicky.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:08 am 

Path of Exile rant re: the upcoming massive 3.0 expansion and mechanics changes:

Spoiler: show
One thing that kind of irks me about this game is that, despite being a "hardcore ARPG" full of players who will obviously go to all kinds of ludicrous extremes to discover and abuse game mechanics to make the most powerful possible builds, the devs seem to use this top-tier sort of powergaming as the metric by which they balance game content, resulting far too often in balancing with a sledgehammer when a scalpel would've done.

Case in point is the ongoing energy shield/life debate. Basically in a game like this, you have to have a big enough effective health pool to offset getting one-shot by things (so, health or energy shield, plus direct damage mitigation and resistances), plus avoidances like evasion, dodge and block if you can get them. Finally, you need some way to recover your health when you take damage, which is nearly constant and very ouch at endgame. There are three ways to do this: life flasks, life or energy shield regeneration, and life leech. Though in some cases regeneration builds can be really strong, generally life flasks are kinda shit, so leech has been king for a long time, as it also scales with your damage output, making builds that focus on lots of damage also have some measure of survivability, provided they're able to keep hitting things and leeching.

The balance problem is that life-based builds have been weaker than energy shield based builds for a long time. You could simply just get way more energy shield than you could life. This meant that for many build styles, going full energy shield was the best way, many builds transitioning from life to hybrid to full energy shield at endgame. Many people have been complaining about this disparity for a long time, so the devs finally addressed it.

How? Well, they gutted all sources of energy shield, including on items and increases to it in the passive tree by a huge amount, and made it impossible for leech mechanics to work with energy shield. So essentially, they just made something like 80% of the endgame builds not even playable anymore, and get this, they didn't even improve anything about life-based builds. Just a huge nerf to the stronger option. So now, instead of choosing between a shitty, non-viable life build and a much stronger energy shield variation on that build, you can choose between two flavors of trash!

Basically they don't understand that "balance" in a game like this is essentially really only like 30% actual work to attempt to balance content, and 70% catering to player psychology.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:52 am 

Yeah, I haven't played that game specifically but it's always been better to keep the nerfs small and the buffs big. Give the weaker classes something flashy and exciting, don't give the stronger ones too much to complain about.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 811, 812, 813, 814, 815, 816, 817 ... 940  Next