* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:20 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
I have... a lot... of portable systems. They're a focus right now in my collecting (I must have bought over a dozen Game Gear games in the past month), and I do enjoy the ability to just fire them up if someone else is using the main TV, like my girlfriend or my son.

Do you collect only official portable systems, or have you gone down the rabbit hole for portables for emulators? I tried to get my hands on the GCW Zero a few months back. They appear to only make then in select stock, and I have no idea if they still make them because they can't be found at any of the authorized dealers. If you're interested in adding to your collection, Neo Geo is supposed to be coming out with a portable system to play some of those old Neo Geo games.

Generally just "official" machines, but I suppose even that's a gray area these days. I have both Ouya and GameStick, despite their dismal fates. Pretty sure GameStop purchased GameStick with the intended purpose of killing it. I had not heard of the GCW Zero, but thus far, crowd-funded machines have not fared well in any capacity. I'm talking Ouya, GameStick, and the grossly ill-fated Coleco Chameleon, which turned out to be utter bullshit.

There's lot of seeming support of retro and indie, and the reality tends to operate completely the opposite. Gamers tend to complain about indie more than they support it now, to the point that "indie" is half the time used as a slur and half the time used as if it's an entire singular genre, which is aggravating and baffling. So, I'm curious about this CGW Zero platform (that name needs serious work, it is not easy to recall).

Retro collecting is eating itself to death with an over-abundance of dickwads that only see dollar signs and resellers artificially forcing prices to obscene levels. You have people selling Super Mario World for SNES for $20 or more. That game is insanely common and came packed with most SNES consoles. You'd have to be a grade-A sucker to pay more than $5 for Super Mario World--but resellers demand it. Neo-Geo stuff is badly expensive, unfortunately. Which brings me to the new Neo-Geo Mini revival, which I'm guessing is what you're referring to. It's interesting, but I have the last, also ill-fated Neo-Geo revival, the Neo-Geo X, which had some issues, but I really enjoyed, and am very disappointed to see that it failed so soon after launch when Tommo and SNK's deal soured.

I'm currently mixed on the Neo-Geo arcade mini, as I have the X, and I'm pretty sure it'll have all the same games... but is already on a bigger screen, with AES-style controllers. Neo-Geo has a fascinating history, and an interesting catalog of games, but like Nintendo, when they go retro, they tend to re-release the same titles over and over again. Another collector friend of mine is looking forward to it. He's a big Neo Geo fan, and has an AES unit and something like 11 games.

Lately, I've been adding to Game Boys, Game Gear, Lynx, Virtual Boy, and I finished my Microvision collection (those unaware, that is the first cartridge-based portable system, and can be seen in one of the early Friday the 13th movies). It only had 11 games released for it. The last one is unopened. I generally open my games, but I will be keeping that one sealed.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 am 

Yeah, I liked the GCW Zero because it was small and square. I didn't want a portable that you had to flip open. I also liked the classic buttons on it. Honestly, for stuff like the Ouya, I would clean that up, put back in it's box and see how much you can sell it for in a decade. It won't be worth much else except to hardcore collectors, of which it appears you are one. :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:18 pm 

I've been replaying Hyper Light Drifter again. NG+ was a bit too tricky after some months off so I'm breezing through a regular NG. I can safely say this and Specter Knight are two of my favorite games of all time. I'm replaying that one as well.

I finally gave up on a buddy wanting to play Mother Russia Bleeds with me so I'm just doing it myself. The pixel-art is gorgeous and the violent overkill is satisfying as fuck.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm 

Don't use any Nekro in the last stage.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:03 pm 

Sounds like I may never beat it but I appreciate the tip!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:13 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Sounds like I may never beat it but I appreciate the tip!

I also recommend playing on the easiest difficulty. It's already difficult enough. I'm not going to give away any spoilers, but I have a recorded run-through of the last boss that took me over an hour. I can fork it over if you want it once you get there. It's kind of a joy to fail a bunch as you're seeing it play out for the first few times.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:09 am 

God damn. It's been pretty easy so far. Guess I'm still very early. I think it's on the default difficulty at the moment. I might scale it if things become hateful.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:48 pm 

It reminds me a lot of Streets Of Rage 3; there's just a lot of timing-based stuff that's easy to fuck up and has a very small margin for error.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:07 pm 

Been into the remastered Dark Souls a fair bit the last few days. Probably my favourite part is that you can change the "UI scale" - one of my biggest gripes with the original was that the resolution was too small. Now it's basically DS3, except it's still a LOT harder. Huzzah! Also seems to be a good amount of action online, too - been pretty heavily co-opping and it generally only takes a few seconds to get summoned.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 pm 

I've been invading and cooping non-stop. Send help

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:41 pm 

Nioh-Gaiden-Souls-Borne!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4IpLoUAcXU

Damn, that looks awesome.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:00 pm 

OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT LOOKS SICK!!!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:34 pm 

That looks fucking amaaaaaaaaazing. Calling it, gonna be my GOTY 2019 :lol:

Looks like a pre-set character instead of character creator this time though :(. Oh well, Nioh was still amazing, this should be, too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:45 pm 

Were they like...challenged by Nioh? This almost seems personal lol. The combat looks faster and more fluid than any From Soft game I've touched. Stupid hype.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:42 pm 

A Grave shirt at E3, definitely didn't expect that.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:51 pm 

Division 2 will probably be more of the same...and I'm fine with that since The Division turned great with the 1.7 update and virtually incredible with 1.8.

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:09 pm 

Hahahaha, Cyberpunk somehow looks even worse than I thought it would :lol: .
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:10 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Nioh-Gaiden-Souls-Borne!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4IpLoUAcXU

Damn, that looks awesome.

This is the best fucking thing ever. And yeah, it does look like they took Nioh kinda personal :lol:

Bring it on.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:09 am 

Soooo that Devolver Digital conf was something :lol: That lady on stage was savage as fuck, loved her.

Metal Wolf Chaos localized/ported is finally confirmed. How silly. MECH AMERICA GREAT AGAIN :lol:

darkeningday wrote:
Hahahaha, Cyberpunk somehow looks even worse than I thought it would :lol: .

I'm as puzzled by this as I am by the "OMG HYPE" reactions. There was zero gameplay shown. How can anyone think it looks good or bad is beyond me because we have no idea what the game is about or what it'll play like.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:15 am 

^
because it's made by the Witcher 3 people who darkeningday has something weirdly personal against.

But more importantly...holy shiiiiiiiiit new DOOM! I was pretty optimistic this was gonna be announced at E3, and this trailer is fucking sick! Can't wait, can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oVwrpfo_QA

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 am 

Oh come on, Cyberpunk looked horrible. Boring cartoony art design with cyberpunk elements so mild and superficial even William Gibson had to step out of his grave for a second and complain about it. And of course it was replete with an awful gravel-voiced American voice over repeating cookie-cutter dialog so generic it felt like placeholder writing they forgot to fill in later.

And every Witcher game had excellent cinematic trailers, especially the third.

CP2077 doesn't even look like it was made by the same team... which shouldn't be surprising, given that their turnover rate is on par with Taco Bell. It still could theoretically be saved by good gameplay (though highly unlikely given the only game they made with good gameplay was the great Witcher 1), but that trailer looks and sounds and feels utterly atrocious.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:05 pm 

^ I just watched the trailer and while I wasn't blown away by it or anything, but I'll wait till there's game play footage before shitting all over it.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:08 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yrE9RU ... e=youtu.be

Holy shit.

Will it be as hard as the first?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:41 pm 

another E3, another whole bunch of "trailer" FMVs and everyone gushing.
hardly a new criticism but jeez

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 pm 

I'm hyped for Shadows Die Twice and Ubisoft teased 4 new character classes coming to For Honor. I'm so stoked.

Oh, and I picked Bloodborne back up and nabbed Ludwigs Holy Blade. I feel like a total bad ass.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 pm 

Uhhhh this Ghost of Tsushima gameplay looks outrageously cool also?

https://youtu.be/lqfx-1UrT-0

First I've heard of it.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:40 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
It reminds me a lot of Streets Of Rage 3; there's just a lot of timing-based stuff that's easy to fuck up and has a very small margin for error.

This game for me brings up great memories. For me anyway I'll take video games such as this over most if not all games being made today and I realize that's a opinion a lot of people disagree with. I respect their opinion.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
^ I just watched the trailer and while I wasn't blown away by it or anything, but I'll wait till there's game play footage before shitting all over it.

That's fair.

I really wish you'd consider going back to ELEX again. They finally fully patched the console versions, along with a whole bunch of new features... It's apparently nearly equal to the PC now.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 am 

I'm cautiously optimistic but still a bit unsure about the Ghost of Tsushima gameplay. I hope it's great, and I love the iaido and kenjutsu moves, but I got a weird early AssCreed vibe with enemies taking turns to attack, and I hope it's not just pressing a timed counter button to get a flash animation but a real actual combat system with stances etc. like in Nioh. If it's the latter.... then sooooooold. That photo mode is gonna be glorious.

Also, Nioh 2 announced. :hyper: Not much shown yet, but still good news. So we got 3 samurai action games coming in the next year or two. Noice.

The Last of Us 2 is gonna be sick, too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:09 am 

Oh yeah, Beyond Good and Evil 2 is alive... somehow.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:52 am 

Fair play on the mechanics of Ghost being a complete mystery. It just LOOKED so rad. I would accept a not-so-challenging combat system if it's feels good to play in. I'm sure I'll be plenty frustrated with Sekiro!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:07 am 

EEEEEEEEEE! Even though I'm the biggest baby when it comes to survival horror games, the first Resident Evil remaster was glorious. Can't wait to get my hands on this.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxJtQa6VSw

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

That's fair.

I really wish you'd consider going back to ELEX again. They finally fully patched the console versions, along with a whole bunch of new features... It's apparently nearly equal to the PC now.

Really? If they fixed the problems with the map and load times that sounds like it could be worth going back to.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:27 pm 

https://www.pcgamer.com/embargoed-11am- ... ark-souls/

I've gotta see this demo. Some wild stuff here though. No RPG elements whatsoever. No multiplayer.

This bit though...sounds awesome:
Quote:
The combat
While Kitao was unwilling to give too many specifics on combat systems, I can safely say that Sekiro is unlike anything we've seen in other From Software games. Instead of hacking away at an enemy's health bar, Kitao says famed director Hidetaka Miyazaki wanted to capture the feel of "swords clashing."

While there's still HP, combat revolves around 'posture.' When you attack an enemy, they'll easily block your attack but will lose posture each time. Once lowered enough, they'll be open to a gory finishing move, but the same goes for you. As enemies attack, blocking lowers your posture unless you block perfectly (similar to parrying in Dark Souls). With a perfect block you'll actually throw the enemy off balance and lower their posture instead.

In this way, combat in Sekiro feels more authentic to a sword duel: A battle of attrition as each tries desperately to create an opening to deliver a fatal strike. Once you finally trip a foe up enough, you can hit them with a 'Shinobi Death Blow'—a gleefully bloody finisher that kills weaker enemies instantly.

Can't find any footage of this demo on YT. Really looking forward to seeing it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:38 pm 

Miyazaki does kendo confirmed :metal:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:39 pm 

I had to pick Nioh back up. I quit super early into it anyways. Going to try to be a little smarter in my approach this time.

I don't mind dying to the same boss one million times, it's literally not knowing which direction to take or not being able to find a pathway I need that always shuts me down.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:54 pm 

I feel like there are a lot of cool weapons that don't get much love in video games. Whips got some attention in Castlevania but not many places else, and then katars, kukris, chakrams, and chain flails are just barely ever used. I wanna see more cool exotic weapons. D:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:57 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Really? If they fixed the problems with the map and load times that sounds like it could be worth going back to.

There were many fixes, though I'm not sure what the issue with the map was.

I'm guessing that the inventory lag you experienced was because you're a hoarder :P. You can sell anything you want (quest items can't be sold) or you can place anything you like into chests and they'll remain there permanently. This wasn't an issue with the PC version, but PB are pretty clueless when it comes to understanding consoles :P.

Anyway, Ghost of Tsushima definitely has the best physics I've seen in any third-person game to date. The foliage is just insane.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:00 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I had to pick Nioh back up. I quit super early into it anyways. Going to try to be a little smarter in my approach this time.

I don't mind dying to the same boss one million times, it's literally not knowing which direction to take or not being able to find a pathway I need that always shuts me down.

I had the exact opposite experience. I didn't have problems with being lost, but I HATED dying a million times to bosses. The best I can say about my abilities is that I feel I was "serviceable" by the end.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 am 

Ghosts of Tsushima looks like Bushido Blade as RPG.

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 848, 849, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854 ... 940  Next