Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:37 am 

Anyone interested in Wasteland 2? Apparently an early version is already up on Steam. I'll wait 'til it's fully released in a complete version, but I'm semi-excited for it, though I still need to complete Fallout 2 first.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:34 pm 

You say you already went through the Catacombs? The Great Scythe is there although it is more of a Dexterity weapon. If you don't look up how to get it though you may never find it. If you put lightning or fire on it though it can be pretty beastly. It has great range and has the moveset of halberds. Longer range weapons can help a lot on Smough and Ornstein.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm 

They're dead! Got Smough's soul.

Exploring the Duke's Archives now.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 pm 

Wasteland 2 sounds cool! Unfortunately, I feel like I should finished the myriad of games I have before I ever consider buying it, which includes Fallout, Fallout 2, 3 and NV.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:03 pm 

All this talk about Dark Souls makes me want to go back and play it again. It's a damn shame the Four Kings become the most badass motherfuckers in the game on New Game+, otherwise I would continue playing on my original character. I would spend about 30 minutes trying to summon a friend and some other players, and within 10 minutes we would get slaughtered by the third king after taking down 1. It's ridiculous.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:52 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
They're dead! Got Smough's soul.

Exploring the Duke's Archives now.

Nice one. Have fun in there. One of the more frustrating areas for me but I won't elaborate and spoil it for you. :p

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:33 am 

Finished LA Noire the other day. One of the most polarizing games I've played in a while. Good enough story, shit gameplay, even more shitty ending. What is it about Rockstar Games that I just don't get?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:37 pm 

AHHH YOU WENT RAW :[ sorry man, should've been clearer.

I just bought a balls-load of adventure games off Steam...and part of me really wants to check out that Outlast game...

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:50 pm 

Guys. PEOPLE. I've got a used PS3 + controller in my Amazon cart for $170 incl shipping. Good deal? Shall I pull the trigger? I NEED DARK SOULS. I NEED IT.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:53 pm 

I got Dark Souls on Steam for like $4 during their fall sale. JUST SAYIN'.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 pm 

I DON'T HAVE A PC AND MY LAPTOP IS KIND OF OLD. ALSO I DON'T REALLY HAVE A PROPER SPACE FOR COMPUTER GAMING.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:57 pm 

Macintosh buyer's remorse is a harsh mistress.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:59 pm 

EVEN IF I HAD A PC LAPTOP I STILL WOULDN'T HAVE A PROPER SPACE. I LIKE CONSOLES ANYWAY AND I HARDLY EVER PLAY VIDEO GAMES.

EDIT: IT IS DONE. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IT IS DONE.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:57 pm 

I've been playing a shitload of Europa Universalis IV these last weeks. I swear, this game will be the death of me. The dice roll combat mechanics are so bad but I can't stop playing it anyway. Every time the Dice God curses me with a bad roll and I lose an entire war because all my 50 thousand elite troops got destroyed by 12000 hungarian peasants fighting with nothing but sticks and slingshots, I feel like pulling the trigger,

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:43 pm 

Marag wrote:
I've been playing a shitload of Europa Universalis IV these last weeks. I swear, this game will be the death of me. The dice roll combat mechanics are so bad but I can't stop playing it anyway. Every time the Dice God curses me with a bad roll and I lose an entire war because all my 50 thousand elite troops got destroyed by 12000 hungarian peasants fighting with nothing but sticks and slingshots, I feel like pulling the trigger,

I was seriously addicted to Rome a while go, I havn't played IV but you have sparked my intrest, never underestimate the peasants!

I slowed down on video games after my Dark Souls obsession, recently picked up Witcher 2(PC), YS: Memories of Celceta(Vita), Hotline Miami(Vita) and Ico(PS3). Absolutely enamored with all four of these games, trying to finish Witcher 2 but I've been couchlocked on the Vita after work many days.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:23 am 

I want to play EUIV but I'm waiting for the game to have a few expansion packs under it's belt before I dive into it. The thing with Paradox grand strategy games is that they're pretty good at launch and become amazing after a few expansion packs.

In the mean time, I'll be playing the next version of the A Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2, which is coming out VERY soon. It's adding Essos and all the content revolving around the politics of Essos (Free Cities especially).
Can't wait to see Daenerys Targaryen finally invade Westeros. :hyper:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:30 pm 

Took down the Demon Centipede in two tries...While drunk. Nice change of pace. :D

Also I got invaded for the first time while doing my humorously-delayed Depths run over the weekend. Lost, but put up a decent fight. Looking forward to doing this a bit more often.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:36 pm 

He was the first boss I beat on my first try, it was pretty awesome, but then blight town happened. Now I'm in the duke archives, spent the past week trying to beat that trident shamen guy and then I read last night that he respawns, so my whole plan to take it slow and take him out is out the window, I will just take out the crystal guys in the way and move forward hopefully.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:47 pm 

Damn you two! He took me a shitload of tries. Shield being inneffective and fucking magma hindering my movement and all. But I beat the Gaping Dragon, Quelaag and Nito on my first attempt which is nice.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:55 pm 

Well he was the only one, then I guess the capra demon only took two or three tries. other than them the rest were pretty touch for me in some way or another. It took two phantoms to get past smore and oreo

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:03 pm 

Big_Grand wrote:
smore and oreo

lmao
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:14 pm 

all i do is invade now - because all my characters are at ridiculous levels (way too much time in that game...) - my current build is "Plaguewielder" and just poisons/toxifies/stuns enemies. Been having a pretty fun time.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm 

I killed the red bridge dragon. Not all that difficult if you're patient and have no self-respect.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 pm 

Quelaag and the Gaping Dragon are the ones I nearly beat on my first attempt. Then it took me a ton of tries for both. The first time I was on the gaping dragon I got him down to very little health and was somewhat in front of him and he did his acid vomit which I was unaware of and I was pinned to a wall. Then he kept jumping and landing on me no matter where I ran when he went into the air, and of course that is instant death. Quelaag I would just get really impatient on as the only time I could really hit her is when she breathes fire. I just back off when she swipes her fire sword, and she likes doing that far too much.

I was pleased with myself for getting the Capra Demon on my second try though.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:59 pm 

All in favor of renaming this thread "Dork Souls" say aye.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 am 

Honestly surprised this thread is still focused on Dark Souls, it came out such a long time ago, I figure the people that have been playing it would go experience Demon Souls or move onto a different game all together. In the three months I was playing Dark Souls daily I beat the full game (w/ dlc) 5-6 times, invaded hundreds of people and led a few friends through the game. I could have honestly kept playing the game forever, and that's why I had to stop there is no end to the souls games.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:53 am 

Well it did also go on sale for really cheap and bunch of people picked it up so are experiencing it for the first time.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:59 am 

Just played through The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery with a mate and it was really fun, didn't take us all that long but we just sank a few and played through. Some of the acting was hilarious but it had an overall good story, nice history elements and was pretty satisfying. CANIS LUPUS LUPUS.

Gave me the urge to get some more of the classic point and click adventures, any suggestions? Obviously I'm already a huge Monkey Island fan.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:32 am 

Anyone on Steam want an extra copy of Serious Sam 3 that I have?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:16 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Gave me the urge to get some more of the classic point and click adventures, any suggestions? Obviously I'm already a huge Monkey Island fan.

Well, since you enjoyed Gabriel Knight 2, have you played 1 and 3? :) Definitely worth it; Jane Jenson (the creator) is awesome. Actually she has both a remake of the first GK and a new original game called Moebius coming out next year. She has also contributed to some of the best classic-era Sierra games like King's Quest 6 and Police Quest 3.

LucasArts had many great adventure games in their golden days too. Other than Monkey Island, there's Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, and others. The first act of Broken Age (AKA Double Fine Adventure, from the famous Kickstarter) is also coming out next month, created by Tim Schaffer who worked on many of those LucasArts classics.

Pretty obvious picks I guess! I can find lesser known stuff if you've played all of that. ;)

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 am 

I'd definitely second Gabriel Knights 1 and 3. The first one is probably the best point-and-click adventure game that I've played. The superb atmosphere of N'Orleans, excellent music, voodoo, great writing and the superb voice acting from Tim Curry. The third one is almost as good. They're just a tad above the rest of the stuff, both of them. The games straddle that line between dramatic and serious with a dash of wry humor that takes off the edge of being too edgy and serious, but without actually lessening the punch of the arc of drama.

I would also second Monkey Islands 1 and 2. Both are definitely on the funny side of things rather than serious and the plot is ho-hum, but the puzzles are nice and the humor is definitely effective. The same pretty much for Day of the Tentacle. I have a soft spot for the older, less forgiving stuff like the first Police Quest or the original Maniac Mansion, of which Day of the Tentacle is a sequel to. Fate of Atlantis is a great one as well as is Legend of Kyrandias 1 and 2.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:59 am 

Regarding all the Dark Souls-ery, I picked it up during the Steam summer sale and just got back into it after a short break. I'm planning on picking up a PS3 for the sole purpose of trying Demons Souls once I'm done with DKS. So effectively, Demons Souls will cost me about $150, but I figure it's worth it. :P

Even though it normally takes a while before I replay a game (Borderlands 2 bucked this tradition with its excellent NG+, though) I'm already excited to try a mage build as opposed to the tank-pyro I'm using for my first playthrough.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:46 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Just played through The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery with a mate and it was really fun, didn't take us all that long but we just sank a few and played through. Some of the acting was hilarious but it had an overall good story, nice history elements and was pretty satisfying. CANIS LUPUS LUPUS.

If you want something more recent, the 'Deponia' series is golden. The 'Runaway' series is great, too.

And if you want something that looks old school, but came out recently-- 'Gemini Rue' and 'Resonance' are fantastic.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:48 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

It should certainly be the name of a dedicated thread I think. I mean, look at how frequently this thread gets overtaken with Dark Souls talk - and imagine what's going to happen once the sequel rolls out in a couple of months.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:37 pm 

Not a bad idea; Breaking Bad was popular enough to warrant a split form the general TV thread.

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
AHHH YOU WENT RAW :[ sorry man, should've been clearer.

Right, but I still have the option to "disenchant" it at a blacksmith, and at the rate I'm getting souls and titanite in the post-Lordvessel game it can't be that hard to do something else, correct?

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:42 pm 

I bought dark souls probably towards the end of September, which is why I'm just now becoming obsessed with it. The only other game that gives me crazy dreams when I'm stuck at a part was DOOM, and sometimes oblivion when I would spend long days during summer break in 7th and 8th grade just playing it non-stop.

But onto other games. Ds has made me crave more challenging combat, so I've downloaded a shit ton of mods for skyrim to make it a more interesting experience. The alternate start, oblivion character creation, in your shadow, immerse armors/ weapons/ creatures, asis, ect. Also trying to get some graphics mods working, but I will deal with that over break so I can really optimize it and get it working properly. My first alternate start was the necromancer hideout, which I enjoyed a lot until I stepped out of the front door to realize it put you in that cave where you find the elder scroll, and a dwenmar stomped me immediately. Then I tried the crashed ship start, which wasn't bad, but it was very hard to find any god way to level up considering you start out on the shores of dawnstar, and the creatures mod put several packs of wolves in every direction that weren't exactly grinding material for a level 1 character. So I settled on a fresh-off-the-boat start in solitude, and I'm liking this one the most. I was able to invade a bandit camp, and the combat feels great. Enemies aren't terribly hard to kill, but neither are you, so I'd have to utilize my bow and magic in addition to my usual one handed weapon to get past everyone slowly. I'm stuck at the chief of the camp still the mod made those characters a lot more difficult, but I'm really liking the game a lot now like this.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
And if you want something that looks old school, but came out recently-- 'Gemini Rue' and 'Resonance' are fantastic.

Yeah, Gemini Rue is pretty cool... and as it turns out, it's part of the new Humble Bundle that was put up today. A good time to check it out. :)

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 pm 

yentass wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

It should certainly be the name of a dedicated thread I think. I mean, look at how frequently this thread gets overtaken with Dark Souls talk - and imagine what's going to happen once the sequel rolls out in a couple of months.

I'd rather have this than the Bioware ranting that used to happen in here.

We are all better people these days.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:42 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
I'd rather have this than the Bioware ranting that used to happen in here.

We are all better people these days.

Oh god, this place must have been a shitshow in the Mass Effect days.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:24 pm 

The former life cycle of the VG thread:

*general talk*
*Shutdown bitching about how CRPGs are the greatest thing ever and JRPGs were invented by Satan*
*Mass Effect*
*Mass Effect*
*Mass Effect*
*More Shutdown bitching*
*Noob says something about Final Fantasy*
*Shutdown goes full tardrage and expires*

The current life cycle of the VG thread:

*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Something random*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Something related to Final Fantasy*
*STOP TALKING ABOUT FINAL FANTASY GAWRSH*
*Tactics is the best anyway*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
*Dark Souls*
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544 ... 940  Next