Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:15 pm 

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 rather a lot, mostly because of the "go at your own pace" style of it. It's why I liked Far Cry 3, too. It's why I enjoy most open-world games.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:44 pm 

Far Cry 3 was fun. I enjoyed the inclusion of magic mushrooms in the game. Free roam stealth FPS mechanic was neat too. I still play Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox once in a blue moon.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:28 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Good luck. Artorias is probably the second hardest boss fight in the whole game. Though the one after him sometimes gives me even more trouble, depending on my build... but man those fights are intense. The way Artorias moves, even when he just walks slowly around you, is so goddamn scary. You can actually feel his intent, burning desire to destroy you. :nods:

Hehe, yeah. It's like he's driven by sheer hate.
So I upgraded my Black Iron Greatshield to +15 and increased endurance by 4 points and suddenly he became extremely doable. I guess it's all a matter of predaredness. :-D
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:32 pm 

Replaying Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I'm enjoying it even more than the first time, the gameplay is perfect, the setting is perfect, the story engaging and the soundtrack... oh lord the soundtrack...
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:38 pm 

The writing in Human Revolution is just abysmal. Great game, though.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:42 pm 

I made it maybe three hours into the second "map" on FC2, so maybe I was close to it stopping being terrible.

I really liked FC1 until the monsters showed up, I loved the massive levels and tropical setting, and the way the stealth worked, once the monsters showed up it kinda killed the stealth a little (or I just sucked, which is plausible, I've never been good at stealth despite enjoying being sneaky). Honestly Crysis felt more like a sequel than FC2 did, seriously, what was the link? Hang gliders?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:59 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I really liked FC1 until the monsters showed up, I loved the massive levels and tropical setting,

Dude, yeah. Remember that one level that was like a chain of islands and you had to destroy comm towers and stuff? That was the most epic thing for me in 2004. Felt so cool doing that, and the setting ruled.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:14 pm 

Far Cry uno is fucking garbage. That game is so stupid.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:18 am 

Wtf? No way man. It was a great game with excellent mechanics, level design, and fucking HILARIOUS cheesy action movie cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AvQBs02Rjw&t=8m19s

Now FasterDisaster, I know you won't believe me until I've got a gun pointed at your head, BUT IT'S TRUE

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:47 am 

Artorias was such a fun fight took me forever, most definitely the hardest challenge for me in the game. Magic against him was certainly hard couldn't cast anything other than the quick casts since he was always on your ass. Really glad they made some faster moving active bosses like these in the DLC. Reminds me a lot of the bosses in Vindictus, and those Monster Hunter style games.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:08 am 

Morrigan wrote:

:( :nono: :puke:

...No wonder they disabled comments and ratings. Pffft. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fuck you, Squeenix.

I read in the description "free-to-play multiplayer" and turned off the video right then.

Oiras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:21 am 

Also I'm still puzzled why GOG has every Legacy of Kain title to buy BUT the first Blood Omen game on there. I know a lot of these things take time but still, it DID get a PC release and the other titles did get released relatively consistently after the other and it's been a long time now (compatibility issues to work out maybe? It did run on an older version of Windows than the rest, those games can be bastards to run on modern machines unless patches from dedicated fans or leftovers from the dev team get released). I know you can get it through the PS Store but seeing how I don't own a PS3, PSP or Vita and don't plan on doing so for some time to hell with that.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:12 am 

Probably something to do with the publishing rights. The other Legacy of Kain titles were fairly cleanly developed by Crystal Dynamics and released by Eidos, while the first Blood Omen was developed for the PS by Silicon Knights and published by Crystal Dynamics while the port was done by a whole different company and published by Activision. Eidos titles are probably a lot cheaper, especially when you're buying blocks of them while Activision ones most probably aren't.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:08 pm 

Really excited to see what SteamOS has in store, fair play to Valve for going the open source route. I know it's for monetary reasons and the fact that they hate having to go through certification to get an update onto their Steam client but still if it benefits them enough the whole open source community will benefit. I imagine SteamOS will be Ubuntu based but with Steam additions on top.

If they get good steam going (excuse the pun) with this then Linux as a whole will benefit from better drivers and much better third party software support. Making it more accessible for everyone, not to mention getting rid of an extra cost on building your own gaming PC. At the moment I'd still go with Windows as I'm not ready to put my eggs in the Linux basket for gaming but if it did come off imagine being free of Windows...... it's something I've dreamed of for years :lol: at home I use Linux as my daily desktop, at work I work exclusively on Linux server software and my phone is Linux(well sorta, it's Android) the only facet of my life still controlled by Microsoft is PC gaming. Come on Valve make this happen :-D

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:34 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
Probably something to do with the publishing rights. The other Legacy of Kain titles were fairly cleanly developed by Crystal Dynamics and released by Eidos, while the first Blood Omen was developed for the PS by Silicon Knights and published by Crystal Dynamics while the port was done by a whole different company and published by Activision. Eidos titles are probably a lot cheaper, especially when you're buying blocks of them while Activision ones most probably aren't.

Activision also published the PS1 version, jointly with Crystal Dynamics. Their logo appears when you boot the PS1 game. You're right that the IP is a mess, though. While I like the Soul Reaver games, I've always felt it was a real shame that Silicon Knights lost the rights to the IP. They would certainly have taken a sequel in a completely different direction.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:51 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I imagine SteamOS will be Ubuntu based but with Steam additions on top.

Well, Valve are also making modifications at the OS level to get better performance for graphics, audio and input. I'm very interested to see what kind of gain this will result in; if it's significant, it could be a pretty major push for SteamOS adoption.

I'm very curious to see what their new controller plays like too... hopefully I'll be picked for the beta, but I guess that's a very slim chance. :)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:24 pm 

So the Shadow Warrior remake by Flying Wild Hog is amazing and y'all should be talking about it.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:51 pm 

Finished GTA V. Pretty much an amazing game. Ending seemed pretty rushed and anti-climactic though. Still a good ending, but could have been better. Overall, doesn't touch Red Dead Redemption, but it's still the best GTA game to date.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:01 pm 

Yeah, the "moral dilemma" stuff is stupid and forced.
Spoiler: show
Options A and B are too out-of-character for Franklin and they seem tacked on as well. Pretty obvious how Option C was the "true ending".

The anti-climactic part was actually kinda funny to me, though. The three guys just killed everyone who's been giving them trouble throughout the game in a few strokes, and all Trevor has to say is, "so now what?"

Steam controller looks like it could be amazing. 8 of the buttons are accessible without having to lift your thumbs and the trackpads offer as much potential precision as a mouse. If only our thumbs weren't so damn slow.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:06 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
So the Shadow Warrior remake by Flying Wild Hog is amazing and y'all should be talking about it.

Finally, a man with some sense. I've been playing that one during any free hours I've got. It's so fuckin' fun. Only on chapter 9 though, so we'll see how it gets by the end of it. Loving the upgrade system though.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:46 pm 

That Steam controller does look nicely innovative and well designed. Cool stuff.

Just picked Resident Evil 4 back up while I wait on a new PS1 memory card to show up so I can dive into the original Silent Hill (damn third-party knockoff garbage... why the hell did I even bother?). I'm still not sure how I feel about RE4. On one hand it's pretty good fun, on the other it's kind of a hollow experience so far. I'm just kind of....going through it. Shooting people. One thing I am 100% sure of is that I'm not even remotely close to giving a fuck about the storyline. I can't even remember what's happening.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:09 pm 

I put off making any progress in RE4 for years because I was so uninterested in the plot and change of atmosphere from previous titles, but somehow earlier this year it just clicked and I pretty much loved every second of the game. I say you should stick with it at least until you're past the village portion. The game play doesn't change significantly, but it does get a bit more interesting I find. Solid game in my opinion.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Last edited by Foulchrist on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:11 pm 

I've beaten Resident Evil 4 at least 50 times... and no, that's not an exaggeration. I don't know how much of my life has been spent on that game, but a good portion of it, hahahaha. I actually had a conversation about this with my girlfriend today, that's funny.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 am 

Speaking of Resident Evil 4, Mikami's new and final game, The Evil Within looks really fucking sweet. Taking it back old style, back when you were consistently, just barely underpowered and evil dudes were constantly chomping at the bit to chop your head off.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am 

Morrigan wrote:

:( :nono: :puke:

...No wonder they disabled comments and ratings. Pffft. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fuck you, Squeenix.

1) A multi-player game set in Nosgoth is actually kind of a cool idea.

2) This is no fucking way to go about it.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:42 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Well, Valve are also making modifications at the OS level to get better performance for graphics, audio and input. I'm very interested to see what kind of gain this will result in; if it's significant, it could be a pretty major push for SteamOS adoption.

I'm very curious to see what their new controller plays like too... hopefully I'll be picked for the beta, but I guess that's a very slim chance. :)

Well if Valve do modify the OS level components then they have to release the source code so all benefit :-D unless they find a loophole or package it as a kernel module but then they'd be complete hypocrites to do that. Hopefully it works like any Ubuntu based distro(assuming it will be) then they modify from the upstream and release the source code in full for their changes. I mean if they change any kernel code then they have to by law release the source but like I said kernel modules might get them out of hot water there. Alsa/Pulseaudio and X graphics components are technically seen as application layer software but they're both GPL software, so any modifications will have to be released as source. Interesting times ahead, I imagine it will be a Ubuntu distro simply because it's the most popular and the Steam client was originally written for Ubuntu.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:23 pm 

Yeah, they said the source would be available. Good times for Linux.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:44 pm 

Damn, the final boss of Dark Souls was such a piece of cake compared to the DLC bosses :lol:
It bothers me that NG+ starts immediately, because I actually didn't kill Kalameet...

Edit: Just remembered that thanks to DSfix I can just load up a backup save. :thumbsup:

Last edited by inhumanist on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 pm 

I see the cougars from RDR made a return to GTA V. Fuck.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 pm 

Just beat Darksiders II. Had a lot of fun with it, but the conclusion was a little weak gameplay-wise. I was pretty powerful by that point but other bosses toward the end proved way trickier than the last couple of fights. Good game, and hopefully the new devs aren't *too* slow in making a sequel.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:42 am 

Sadly, there aren't any "new devs" as far as I know. Only a new publisher.

Anyway, those of you who don't mind spoiling some of the experience of the upcoming Dark Souls II beta, you can find some captured gameplay of the Japanese beta here and here.

My brief, spoiler-free impressions of the videos include some nice particle effects and attention to subtle details (for an example, you can tell an avatar's gender just by the subtle, natural difference in the way he runs) and, on the other hand, some shoddy SFX job (did someone actually get paid for pitch-shifting and reapplying sound effects from Dark Souls?). Graphics look pretty much the same, as does the core gameplay.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:40 am 

yentass wrote:
(for an example, you can tell an avatar's gender just by the subtle, natural difference in the way he runs)

There's a natural difference? Like, a real life biological difference? As opposed to societal norms, I mean.
Edit: Hm, I guess there could be though, due to mens' dangling bits. Didn't think about that.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 am 

Is there a societal norm for how a female should run?

And I'm not sure if it has anything to do with dangling bits, but mind that the bits that dangle aren't exactly the sole structural difference between males and females, so I guess it might be one of the other differences that comes into play here. To be frank though, I struggle to pinpoint the difference in words, but it's pretty obvious to me (probably because I've seen females run like that). I mean, watch the first few seconds of the first video - there's nothing sexist or sexy about it, but you still can tell it's feminine.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:42 am 

There definitely is a societal norm for how females walk.
I didn't want to imply sexism. It was a honest question. Or maybe I did, a little bit, because after all they're also introducing breast plates.

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:45 am 

yentass wrote:
Is there a societal norm for how a female should run?

Yes! BUTTS OUT, HIPS SWINGING!

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:07 am 

inhumanist wrote:
There definitely is a societal norm for how females walk.
I didn't want to imply sexism. It was a honest question. Or maybe I did, a little bit, because after all they're also introducing breast plates.

Why, do you find breast plates sexist?

...OK, scratch that. I'm not evoking that discussion again.

But, now that FasterDisaster says it, I do notice some mild hip swinging in there, so maybe there's no actual norm for running, but the norm for walking affects how females run as well. Don't think there's a clear cut answer to that though.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:11 am 

I guess they simply took the motion capture data from an actual running woman, so there's not actually any basis for accusing them of anything. That's probably just how most women move. It might not be how warrior women in Lordran (or wherever DS2 takes place) move, but I realize that's very pedantic criticism. It's just your wording that made me wonder if there are biological reasons for the difference or if it's just due to cultural habits.

yentass wrote:
Why, do you find breast plates sexist?

I meant boob plates. They make no practical sense.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:31 am 

That's what I think as well, I just appreciate the effort they've made to motion capture a woman just for that distinction most folks probably would miss entirely. And as I've said, I don't think there's a clear cut answer to whether women move the way they move out of biological reasons or habit/norm (and do mind that said norm might have biological origins as well), it's just the way the avatar moves seemed clear cut feminine to me while not being even slightly sexy or suggestive, so the word "natural" seemed, well, natural.

And I understood what you were talking about the first time around :-P . And yeah, it's quite silly and makes no practical sense, but neither does double-jumping. To imply it's sexist (or even simple objectifying/fan service, for that matter) though? Kind of a stretch in my eyes. It's just a silly, video game-y way of punctuating femininity, nothing more and nothing less. I mean, come on, they surely could have done worse than that had they wanted to pander.

P.S: I actually share your pedantic criticism. The running animation does seem kinda frail and "lady-like", as if the protagonist is too scared from stepping into a puddle of mud while fighting the undead and generally being a badass.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:44 am 

Well, why visually emphasize female breasts when in reality something like boop plates would actually at least be uncomfortable if not a hazardous to the wearer? And that in a franchise that is famous for its, compared to other games, realistic armor sets? But I guess they already crossed that line with Executioner Smough :lol:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 am 

when Far Cry 1 came out it was incredible, fantastic gameplay mechanics and a fun action movie ride of a story. It and Half-life 2 were considered some of the best FPS to have come out in years.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525 ... 940  Next