Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 am 

That's awesome! Will try the headphones with this one for sure. I'm almost jealous that you've beaten it but truthfully I feel kinda lucky to be seeing it for the first time. I have a feeling it's going to get ahold of me in a crazy way. Both the modern-retro games that blew my socks off (Hyper Light D and Specter Knight) are incredibly short and left me wanting so much more. Hollow Knight looks like it has such a living breathing world.

If I sound like a fucking huge dork it's because (iyam) I've only in the last few years started really appreciating the glory of a good single player game. And for some reason the 2D thing moves me more than a beautiful game like Horizon Zero Dawn. Not only do I connect with them more visually, but my willingness to try again on a quick loading 2D game becomes some seriously Sisyphean type shit. Beating Hyper Light Drifter on NG+ was a bitch but I loved every second of every 1-shot death because the game feels special to me.

I'm also a filthy console casual. Obviously. Being able to download and install HK today kinda fucked with me. I really got my hopes up that they were going to let me play it early. First pre-order I've ever done on PS4. Sekiro will be next. Comes out the day after my birthday.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am 

Jonpo wrote:
17 hours until my copy of Hollow Knight becomes playable holy shiiiiiit I'm so pumped. If I wasn't so new to my job I'd call in sick tomorrow honestly.

Awesome. Once I finish Spider-Man this is the next purchase.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 pm 

Thank you for the headphones recommendation. Who did this fucking menu score, Hans Zimmer?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:42 pm 

Deepnest with headphones is some shit, y'all. Have fun :)

Now, what should I play next:

- CrossCode, which finally came out (of Early Access) on Steam, which I have a key for since I'm a backer, or
- Death's Gambit, which I'd have to buy, but I can play on my PS4 on the couch?

Such hard decisions. #firstworldproblems

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 pm 

If you end up playing Deaths Gambit I'd love a hot take. I couldn't decide. Looks like it might be some real tracework off From Soft.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:23 am 

I played Death's Gambit, but it took a back seat to Spider-Man.

I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't put the challenge level very high. I plowed through most of the bosses on the first or second try and for someone like me who put real blood and tears into Dark Souls games I think it's safe to say most will blow through this game. I did enjoy what I've played so far and don't have nearly the level of problems with game play as a lot of the reviews I've read online.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:56 pm 

I'm stoked that both Undertale and Hollow Knight have recently come to Switch, since those are two games I've been meaning to play for a long time. Not sure which I'll do first, but one of them will be my next game. I just beat Dark Souls: Remastered and feel a bit exhausted, so I might take a few weeks off gaming. That was a blast though, I thought the DLC was the best part of the game.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm 

Thanks for that Tunococ! I was originally so hyped for Deaths Gambit but the more gameplay I saw it just struck me as kinda shallow. God damn is it pretty though!

I got bodied by Hornet then got lost and died again trying to find her. Tonight will go differently!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:55 pm 

What kinds of headphones do you guys have for PS4? It sounds like I'm in the minority here without them.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:59 pm 

I use some kinda lowest tier turtle beach guys. Looked em over but I can't find a model. They were on sale for like 50 and sound great to me.

Watched Indeimaus play DG and it actually looked a LOT deeper than I expected. Or maybe he just sucked. He didn't make it look easy hahah.

Edit: Here's a few things I love about HK: Jump mechanics almost as tight as Super Meatboy. Healing system that makes you nearly invincible if you're calculated enough. (I'm not, and I die plenty, but I LOVE the way they handled healing.) Traveling on the Beetle guy. Obviously the cutesy art against the heavy-vague storyline is neat but everyone knows that. The first clash with Hornet was so fun. The hype is reeeeaaal.

Omggggg the charm shop and item descriptions are so wholesome

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:53 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
What kinds of headphones do you guys have for PS4? It sounds like I'm in the minority here without them.

I have the official Sony Headset thingy. It's nice but a bit expensive, so I picked it up during a sale.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:03 am 

This one:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explo ... s-headset/?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:31 am 

I think I have the old model, mine looks like this. But yeah something like that anyway.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:45 pm 

Oh shit, Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood are both coming to the Playstation Store as one package next month. It's actually been ages since I've played SotN so I'm definitely jumping on that.

Kind of shitty that Konami has apparently resorted to repackaging and reselling old games instead of making new ones people care about, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with having classic games more readily available.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:13 pm 

There's a pretty cool-looking, vampire-themed RPG called Nighthawks on Kickstarter at the moment, made by the devs of Sunless Sea/Skies, and published by Wadjet Eye, purveyors of excellent adventure games. It's mostly text-based with choices, but there will be combat and skill checks and the like, so it's not just a visual novel. The role-play opportunities seem pretty deep, too. Looks pretty promising to me. There's a prototype available on the KS page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/75 ... pire-rpg-0

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:31 pm 

Symphony of the Night is such a huge inspiration for pretty much every modern game that I'm in love with. I've never played it and I really feel like I should. A small part of me also believes that it's likely been eclipsed by the greatness of some of the games it inspired. I know that makes me sound like a heavy metal fan that doesn't wanna listen to Hellhammer or Frost...but there it is haha. Will probably buy since it's relatively cheap.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:49 pm 

Nah, SotN is still great and holds up against the games it has inspired. Nothing else in the genre comes close to that kind of synchronicity between visual style, music, overall atmosphere and tightness of mechanics + just enough customization to keep things interesting but not enough to turn it into an RPG. I would still play it over many new games.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:58 pm 

Absolutely, it's one of my favorite video games and I played it for the first time like ten years after it came out. Everything just clicks, it's pretty much perfection.

I also adore some of the later handheld Castlevania games which I think are pretty underrated. Most of the ones for GBA and DS were awesome, especially Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:15 pm 

Castlevania SotN still has the best game OST of all time. Fight me.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:17 pm 

I won't because I agree, although my list would probably be like 1a, 1b, 1c and then go to 2, 3, 4 etc. :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:19 am 

I'm getting that shit for sure!

Hollow Knight!!!! Mantis Lords might be my favorite boss fight of all time. That was so fun.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:50 am 

Definitely, absolutely and without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played. HK feels so jam-packed with things to discover. It feels like every turn is something new. I got BODIED by Hornet again on our second clash near Kingdom's End. I was a little sleep deprived and I think that probably didn't help. I eventually found what feels like an optimal charm setup where I can poison her while healing, and also gain Soul when I'm hit. But her second phase just ruins me. I get so obsessed with knocking down the little barbed traps she puts up. It's very intense and is going to have me screaming at the TV when I finally win.

I just wanna be her friend. I just wanna be her.

zonfar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 pm 

Beat Saber - A VR game that lets you smash blocks with a lightsaber to the rhythm of a song, it's a lot of fun!

Just Beats and Shapes - another rhythm game you can play with 4 people. This game is AMAZING, has great music, and an amazing story. Under the influence of certain substances, this game is no longer a game, but an experience. I can't wait to get together and play through the story with some friends again.

Witcher 3: I haven't beat it yet, the story, gameplay, graphics are all very well put together. I love me some fantasy games, and this one is one of the best out there to me atm.

Sims 4: I've always been attracted to the sims games. It's a cool feeling to feel like god, and experience other people/sims perspectives whenever they get happy/sad/other emotions, and you can see why they might feel that way. It's a very role-playing type of game where you can make up all sorts of different situations that play out.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:41 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Not Final Fantasy Tactics?

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:51 pm 

FFT has great music but if you've heard it as much as I have...
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Not Final Fantasy Tactics?

Probably a close second. But SotN's is just that godly and really varied too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:39 pm 

I wouldn't put SotN or FFT at the #1 spot. Top 10 definitely, likely even Top 5, but not #1.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:55 pm 

Breath of Fire 3! Not #1, but good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:48 pm 

Breath of Fire 3's soundtrack is the weakest aspect of the game... :|

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:03 am 

Over the weekend, after we were done unpacking things, and my son got his room all set-up, he helped me get my long-dreamt-of entertainment center set up and organized, and several consoles are now hooked up, with resting places for several others. My goal over the next year is to get one more console per month running smoothly on the HDTV. I do not have enough HDMI ports, unfortunately, even with five built into the TV.

The PS2 has been in storage for three years, and surprisingly, the date and time was only off by half an hour. The 3DO is finally unpacked again. Next systems to get running better on the HDTV are the GameCube, Jaguar, and 3DO. I appear to be missing the S-Video cable for my Saturn, so that's annoying. Weirdly, the Scart cable for my Genesis appears to be working now without issue, so that's odd, but I can't complain about it. Contra: Hard Corps has never looked better.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:34 pm 

I'd love to see pictures if you feel comfortable with posting them on here.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I wouldn't put SotN or FFT at the #1 spot. Top 10 definitely, likely even Top 5, but not #1.

It's definitely 100% the top #1 for me, tied with a few other soundtracks. It's just too godly as Morrigan said.

Ticker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:10 pm 

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my all time favs. Great music, great story. I wish more fantasy stories would be more grounded like that one was.

My son got me into Fortnite. I assumed it was just a bad version of PUBG because it looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, but I was wrong. Shooting and stuff doesn't feel quite as fun, but building + shooting is crazy. I think I'm getting too old for games now. He tried to show me Ninja videos and that kid looks like he's playing at 2x speed. The only thing that sucks is that there's no competitive mode, and it doesn't look like you can do custom matches? I guess you can do Fortnite scrims on Discord by readying up in unison, but it seems like a lot of trouble. Hopefully they'll just put that in soon.

He also got me playing the new God of War. I played the original couple back on PS2. Graphics are insane now.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:57 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Next systems to get running better on the HDTV are the GameCube

Do you have one of the first run GameCubes with the digital out socket? If so, have you tried something like this: https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home/gc-vid ... logs-zblog ? My friend bought one of those plugs for his GameCube and he loves it.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:25 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I do not have enough HDMI ports, unfortunately, even with five built into the TV.

Luckily, HDMI switch boxes are pretty affordable now.
https://www.lifewire.com/best-hdmi-switchers-4134646

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:33 am 

I am looking for games with similar, or at least somewhat similar, atmosphere as Skyrim. Why? Because I feel cosy in Skyrim!

Its wintry, epic and absolutely cool feel is something I'm longing for since I completed the game. I still haven't tried the new version with boosted graphics, but wonder is it really worth it?!

The music score for Skyrim is one of the very best in gaming history.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:15 am 

I Am Setsuna has a vast, wintry setting that feels cozy. It's a wildly different kind of game from Skyrim, but if the wintry setting is what you want, then there ya go.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am 

Anyone still playing Spider-Man?

Getting the "Ultimate Level" on the bomb challenges for the Taskmaster is fucking ridiculous. One of them has me so frustrated it's killing my enjoyment of the game, so I'm done.

There is a LOT of repetition in this game. As much as I love the visuals and the swinging through the city a lot of the combat is not very challenging and I have it on the highest difficulty. I'd rather the combat was the highest difficulty, not a side challenge where I'm trying to find the fastest route between bombs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:30 pm 

I've done my best to contain my Hollow Knight blog posts. I'm still completely doe-eyed for it. Easily side-by-side with Hyper Light Drifter for my favorite game ever. I've let the Dreamers truly rest and found the Man himself. But I'm hoping there's still SO much left to do. I'm extremely intrigued by the Resting Grounds but that guardian spirit is no joke.

LarsA81
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am 

Not a big gamer, but I bought a PS4 last year, and I am all over The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim!! Just an adventure/Fantasy geek when it comes to games (also aWitcher 3 lover), and this is just so damn cool!! I feel like a kid again :-P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 856, 857, 858, 859, 860, 861, 862 ... 940  Next